NBA Thread

On 7/31/2021 at 4:22 PM, dgambill said:

Fournier asking for north of 80 million….sorry @BGleas no way the Celtics will pay that…nor should they. The Richardson deal makes more sense now. Might get that money from Knicks.

Yeah, once the Richardson deal went down yesterday I figured Fournier wasn't going to happen. The only question is whether the Celtics will be able to work out a S&T wherever Fournier signs. 

On the big situation, I'm very comfortable with Roberts Williams and Al Horford. Williams injuries have all been really weird small things, so if he can get healthy he'll be a breakout player. 

The Celtics do need to find some veteran depth at that position though. I don't trust Williams and Horford for 82 games to be fully healthy, so we do need another guy. 

But again, if healthy Williams is really good. 

• Like 1

On 7/31/2021 at 4:24 PM, dgambill said:

Juwan Morgan did not receive offer by Jazz…will become a free agent.

Could be wrong, but I'd guess his time as a full roster NBA player is probably over. He could snag a 2-way contract or be a guy that plays in the G-League and gets called up every now and then for 10-days, but I don't see him as a full roster guy. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

Could be wrong, but I'd guess his time as a full roster NBA player is probably over. He could snag a 2-way contract or be a guy that plays in the G-League and gets called up every now and then for 10-days, but I don't see him as a full roster guy. 

Said they may bring him back…probably 2 way contract for sure. I’d play summer league and see if I can get a guaranteed contract.

• Like 1

Knicks sniffing around Myles Turner….Pacers not selling as of now. I don’t think they have anyone we want but maybe a trade exception or bring another player in the deal would be nice. Heck I’d even take Quickly and Robinson and maybe a 2nd to move Turner. Think we are going to be stuck with him again.

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

@BGleas Are you guys playing out Smarts contract? Would think you would be moving him for a more traditional point guard. With Paul opting out and likely signing a huge deal maybe swoop in and get Cam Payne??

To be honest, I love Marcus Smart but I would like to see the Celtics move him. His defensive effort has begun to slip the last year or two as he focuses more on offense. 

It's one of those situations where I think it’s better to sell high on him because I think once he begins slipping it will be fast. 

Also, while his shooting has improved a lot, he takes a lot of had shots and just too many shots. I only imagine that will get worse if he's the starting point guard. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Knicks sniffing around Myles Turner….Pacers not selling as of now. I don’t think they have anyone we want but maybe a trade exception or bring another player in the deal would be nice. Heck I’d even take Quickly and Robinson and maybe a 2nd to move Turner. Think we are going to be stuck with him again.

I'd be shocked if the Knicks gave up Quickly in a deal for Turner. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Oh they won’t…but he is the only one I would want that would even be somewhat available. We aren’t getting Toppin, Barrett, or anything else good.

For whatever reason, I also don't think Turner's value is that high around the league. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Good chance Lowry to Miami in trade for Dragic and Precious. Also Heat have talks with Derozan…they are going to be a tenacious team if that works out.

I'm guessing Miami would have to renounce Duncan Robinson's rights to make the Derozen thing work?

4 minutes ago, BGleas said:

For whatever reason, I also don't think Turner's value is that high around the league. 

If he shot his career avg last year from 3 at like 38% I think he would have had a lot more…since it dipped last year I think people will opt for just defensive bigs or go small for stretching defense. If he doesn’t have that value then might as well keep him.

5 minutes ago, dgambill said:

76ers floating Harris…possibly wanting 8 first round picks for him….between him and Simmons, Morey is wanting 34 first rd picks. 

and people thought Ainge was bad.

Well Morey does come from the Celtics 🤣, I used to dotted line report to him. 

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, dgambill said:

No way they would do that. Not sure how they would do it without Iguadola contract. Just talk right now.

I just don't know how they fit Lowry, DeRozen and giving Robinson a huge contract? 

Robinson has been on a undrafted rookie deal this entire time, this is his first payday and he's going to want all he can get. 

He is restricted, so Miami can match, but they've got to be over that luxury tax if they do all of this?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

I forgot my sarcasm at the end but that goes without saying. Rumor is he was asking for another ridiculous package like the one for Simmons.

The Sixers are such a strange thing. I don’t love Harris, but with Simmons there they kind of need him because he's someone that can get buckets in the 4th and put up 30 in a game when Simmons won't/can't score. 

I'd almost be hesitant to move Harris before moving Simmons. But again, I don't love Harris. 

• Like 1

If I was Miami I’d talk to OKC about taking Iggy if they haven’t waived rights already. Throw them a future first or something since they don’t mind paying for picks and see if they can do a s/t for Dorozen. Not sure they even need him but if they really want him I’m sure they will find a way.

Just now, dgambill said:

If I was Miami I’d talk to OKC about taking Iggy if they haven’t waived rights already. Throw them a future first or something since they don’t mind paying for picks and see if they can do a s/t for Dorozen. Not sure they even need him but if they really want him I’m sure they will find a way.

I think they waived Iggy's rights. Looks like he might be going back to GS. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

The Sixers are such a strange thing. I don’t love Harris, but with Simmons there they kind of need him because he's someone that can get buckets in the 4th and put up 30 in a game when Simmons won't/can't score. 

I'd almost be hesitant to move Harris before moving Simmons. But again, I don't love Harris. 

If you could move Harris for say McCollum or something then I think you do that. Play Simmons at point forward with McCollum and Maxey, Thybulle, and Embiid?? At least try to get Simmons value back up.

Just now, dgambill said:

If you could move Harris for say McCollum or something then I think you do that. Play Simmons at point forward with McCollum and Maxey, Thybulle, and Embiid?? At least try to get Simmons value back up.

For McCollum, absolutely. I don’t think Harris' value is anywhere close to McCollum though. 

I mean, Portland trading McCollum for Harris is not moving the needle for keeping Dame there. 

• Like 1

Just now, BGleas said:

For McCollum, absolutely. I don’t think Harris' value is anywhere close to McCollum though. 

I mean, Portland trading McCollum for Harris is not moving the needle for keeping Dame there. 

Yeah I figured that…probably have to add to it or find a team that loves him willing to move an all star to Portland. I mean Portland can’t stand pat can they though?

Just now, dgambill said:

Yeah I figured that…probably have to add to it or find a team that loves him willing to move an all star to Portland. I mean Portland can’t stand pat can they though?

Agree they need to do something, but I think operating around the edges of the roster is better than making a bad panic move. 

If there is an all-star than can figure a way to acquire then for sure they need to do that, but I wouldn't panic and just flip McCollum for a similar or worse player just to do something. 

• Like 1