NBA Thread

Not a whole lot left out there on the free agent market.

Oubre

Markkanen

Schroeder

Lou Williams

Danny Green

Those are probably the main ones at this point I'd say.  I wouldn't hate to do a sign/trade for Oubre if we could move Lamb and Holiday. Not sure the Warriors would see any value in that but maybe someone else with cap space would. Probably have to throw some juice into it and the Pacers likely wouldn't do that. I'd say Dallas who has cap space should give Kelly a good look.

14 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Cody Zeller to Portland for vet minimum.

Were discussing this at dinner this evening.  That season vests him with some significant retirement benefits.

...and where the hell are the Pacers when Cody Zeller is willing to sign for the vet minimum?!!!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, dgambill said:

Pacers not necessarily done....would trade Brogdon over Turner. (Well that's good because it's pretty obvious no one wants Turner for 18 mil)

They won't trade either one. The only move left will be minor stuff like trading Lamb and maybe acquiring a 3rd PG. 

17 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Were discussing this at dinner this evening.  That season vests him with some significant retirement benefits.

...and where the hell are the Pacers when Cody Zeller is willing to sign for the vet minimum?!!!

Pacers have no room for him. They have a pretty full front court that they can’t get rid of as it is. He is a still at minimum…smart and been around the league. 

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

That was just word around organization. Seems Brogdon has been a malcontent and they prefer to move him.

Yeah that was discussed but I think they found out their isn't any good trade options out there for Brogdon or Turner. J Michael has eve said as of right now it's unlikely the Pacers make any big moves. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

Yeah that was discussed but I think they found out their isn't any good trade options out there for Brogdon or Turner. J Michael has eve said as of right now it's unlikely the Pacers make any big moves. 

So you are saying to look for another season around .500?  <sigh>

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, rico said:

Pacers have the deepest team in the East. The just don't have the star. They'll be better than people think. LeVert and Warren being healthy at the start of the year is what's going to be huge for this team that didn't happen last season. 

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

Pacers have the deepest team in the East. The just don't have the star. They'll be better than people think. LeVert and Warren being healthy at the start of the year is what's going to be huge for this team that didn't happen last season. 

44 minutes ago, rico said:

If healthy they will be better than 500 in the regular season. They won’t win a playoff series though. They are deep but their defense isn’t very good and they aren’t a great 3pt team. They dont have a guy that can take over either. I suspect they will win a couple games and bow out. Good news they will get a pick in the early 20s and can continue to be mediocre!

Edited by dgambill

38 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

So you are saying they will be the 2 seed in the East?

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, rico said:

We need a "boo" emoji....

Agreed. Think of the Pacers=Colts right now. One qb(star) away from being a contender. Right now we have a team of nice pieces…nice car with stock engine…we need an upgrade under the hood and we might have something special. I’m not a car guy but I’d say the difference between Mustang Gt and a Mustang Shelby….we need a special piece to get us to that elite level.

I see the Pacers as a team that will accumulate a good regular season record because they will beat who they should being well coached and won’t have any stars to rest so will win their share against the top half too. I just don’t see anyone barring a good playoff matchup that can carry us by a really good healthy playoff team.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

If healthy they will be better than 500 in the regular season. They won’t win a playoff series though. They are deep but their defense isn’t very good and they aren’t a great 3pt team. They dont have a guy that can take over either. I suspect they will win a couple games and bow out. Good news they will get a pick in the early 20s and can continue to be mediocre!

There bad defense was a product of the system last year. All you had to do was look at their defensive numbers from the year before. I think they’re better than a lot of people are giving them credit for. 

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

Pacers have no room for him. They have a pretty full front court that they can’t get rid of as it is. He is a still at minimum…smart and been around the league. 

I would have made room at the minimum.  Guaranteed he'll sell more tickets than Goga Bitadze or Amida Brimah.  You can bet he'll be at least as productive as well.  It's not like you'd be going out on a limb signing him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FKIM01 said:

I would have made room at the minimum.  Guaranteed he'll sell more tickets than Goga Bitadze or Amida Brimah.  You can bet he'll be at least as productive as well.  It's not like you'd be going out on a limb signing him.

For sure. Doubt they are going to give up on a top 20 first rd pick so soon though. But I agree…plenty of things bother me about the Pacers business. I will say strangely the Pacer fans I’ve interacted with aren’t much college fans and even less Hoosier fans…but maybe they could have made a few more. Probably a big difference between Vic and Cody’s value to the team. One was on the verge of being a star and the other has had just a solid career.

1 hour ago, DC2345 said:

There bad defense was a product of the system last year. All you had to do was look at their defensive numbers from the year before. I think they’re better than a lot of people are giving them credit for. 

I do think they will be better but I don’t feel like Brogdon has the foot speed to guard on the perimeter, Sabonis can’t guard a door, and I’m not optimistic in Warren coming back and locking down.

16 minutes ago, dgambill said:

For sure. Doubt they are going to give up on a top 20 first rd pick so soon though. But I agree…plenty of things bother me about the Pacers business. I will say strangely the Pacer fans I’ve interacted with aren’t much college fans and even less Hoosier fans…but maybe they could have made a few more. Probably a big difference between Vic and Cody’s value to the team. One was on the verge of being a star and the other has had just a solid career.

Yeah, he won't draw like Vic, but he's a likeable guy, who's been productive and would have great name recognition in Indiana.  Just seems like an easy call when he was willing to play for the minimum.  Maybe he didn't want to play in Indy, but otherwise, it sure feels like a low-risk move.  Solid, productive veteran, good locker room presence, fan favorite and all at the vet minimum.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Yeah, he won't draw like Vic, but he's a likeable guy, who's been productive and would have great name recognition in Indiana.  Just seems like an easy call when he was willing to play for the minimum.  Maybe he didn't want to play in Indy, but otherwise, it sure feels like a low-risk move.  Solid, productive veteran, good locker room presence, fan favorite and all at the vet minimum.

Honestly surprised Charlotte didn’t re-sign him to mentor their young replacement bigs.

15 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Brimah likely won't be on the roster and they don't have a way to sign anyone to a minimum contract at the moment unless it's a training camp invite or a two-way contract. 

• Like 2