NBA Thread

34 minutes ago, dgambill said:

@BGleas What do you think of the D Schroeder to Celtics talk? Are you liking GM Brad better than Coach Brad??

I'm a fan of Brad the coach, the criticism he got last year was stupid. That wasn't a great roster or a healthy roster. 

As far as the GM part its too early to tell, he'll be measured by next offseason first. This offseason was about adding some vets around the edges and keeping their financials clean for sign and trades to get another star or to sign one next offseason. 

I think Schroder is a good signing if they do it and it's a short, team-friendly deal. We need pg help. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

I'm a fan of Brad the coach, the criticism he got last year was stupid. That wasn't a great roster or a healthy roster. 

As far as the GM part its too early to tell, he'll be measured by next offseason first. This offseason was about adding some vets around the edges and keeping their financials clean for sign and trades to get another star or to sign one next offseason. 

I think Schroder is a good signing if they do it and it's a short, team-friendly deal. We need pg help. 

He seemed to bring back the old gang. Just wondering how realistic the fanbase is in giving him a year and waiting til next offseason. Not that the fans matter but like the Pacers it seems they mostly are tinkering. I guess you guys had a lot more work to do to clean up your cap sheet so it’s hard to try to do that and make competitive moves. I do think you need another scorer. He shot horridly last year. Guess you can hope he plays closer to his bubble year. He can also be a valuable trade piece if you decide to make moves at the trade deadline with him and Smart. Still think you need more 3pt shooting to surround Tatum and Brown but most those rotational pieces went to contenders.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, dgambill said:

He seemed to bring back the old gang. Just wondering how realistic the fanbase is in giving him a year and waiting til next offseason. Not that the fans matter but like the Pacers it seems they mostly are tinkering. I guess you guys had a lot more work to do to clean up your cap sheet so it’s hard to try to do that and make competitive moves. I do think you need another scorer. He shot horridly last year. Guess you can hope he plays closer to his bubble year. He can also be a valuable trade piece if you decide to make moves at the trade deadline with him and Smart. Still think you need more 3pt shooting to surround Tatum and Brown but most those rotational pieces went to contenders.

The fans have mostly been pretty happy with the moves. This offseason was all about positioning for adding a 3rd star over the next year and as you said cleaning up the cap sheet. 

• Like 1

Schroeder to the Celtics makes sense IMO.  He wants to get paid, probably unrealistically, which is why he probably hasn’t signed yet. The Celts have a need there and they have cap room.   I think they come together, unless the Celtics move Smart for a different lead guard.  I read an article somewhere that the Celtics have soured on Smart’s shot selection and efficiency (although everything I’ve heard is that Stevens has always been a huge Smart backer).  

I also wonder if Romeo has a future in Boston.  I suppose if they move Smart for either a big or a point guard, that might open a slot for Romeo.  But he’s at a crossroads.  He hasn’t shown much.  Plus, I heard he had a petulant incident with Brad.  Brad may look the other way because he’s a kid, but he can’t carry that kind of attitude with literally zero credibility to back it up.  He needs to be careful.  I’d say that is his one free pass lest he end up riding buses in the G league and no other team jumping at him.  There are way too many guys out there.  His time is now to play well and exhibit a good attitude.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno

18 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Schroeder to the Celtics makes sense IMO.  He wants to get paid, probably unrealistically, which is why he probably hasn’t signed yet. The Celts have a need there and they have cap room.   I think they come together, unless the Celtics move Smart for a different lead guard.  I read an article somewhere that the Celtics have soured on Smart’s shot selection and efficiency (although everything I’ve heard is that Stevens has always been a huge Smart backer).  

I also wonder if Romeo has a future in Boston.  I suppose if they move Smart for either a big or a point guard, that might open a slot for Romeo.  But he’s at a crossroads.  He hasn’t shown much.  Plus, I heard he had a petulant incident with Brad.  Brad may look the other way because he’s a kid, but he can’t carry that kind of attitude with literally zero credibility to back it up.  He needs to be careful.  I’d say that is his one free pass lest he end up riding buses in the G league and no other team jumping at him.  There are way too many guys out there.  His time is now to play well and exhibit a good attitude.  

Read somewhere that they were negotiating with Smart on an extension around 4/77mil

• Confused 1

57 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

The Celtics don't have cap room, which is sort of why Schroder makes sense. The Celtics need pg help/depth and Schroder could come in cheap for one year and just ball out for a big payday next year. All assuming nobody swoops in to give him a longer term deal. 

On Smart, those articles were fake news. The Celtics are trying to extend Smart for 4 years/$77M, though I think part of what they're trying to do is get him on a decent deal so he could potentially be part of a sign and trade in a year or so for a 3rd star. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, BGleas said:

The Celtics don't have cap room, which is sort of why Schroder makes sense. The Celtics need pg help/depth and Schroder could come in cheap for one year and just ball out for a big payday next year. All assuming nobody swoops in to give him a longer term deal. 

On Smart, those articles were fake news. The Celtics are trying to extend Smart for 4 years/$77M, though I think part of what they're trying to do is get him on a decent deal so he could potentially be part of a sign and trade in a year or so for a 3rd star. 

I saw that Milwaukee wanted Schroeder for the mid-level exception ($5.9 M).  He had mutual interest with Coach Bud who he had played for in Atlanta.  Supposedly he wanted $20M.  Bucks moved on to George Hill and Grayson Allen.  I seriously doubt he gets $20 M but his head has been in the clouds.  Victor had that same problem.  He turned down big money from Houston and is now on the minimum.  

• Like 1

Just now, BobSaccamanno said:

I saw that Milwaukee wanted Schroeder for the mid-level exception ($5.9 M).  He had mutual interest with Coach Bud who he had played for in Atlanta.  Supposedly he wanted $20M.  Bucks moved on to George Hill and Grayson Allen.  I seriously doubt he gets $20 M but his head has been in the clouds.  Victor had that same problem.  He turned down big money from Houston and is now on the minimum.  

Schroder must be so mad, he turned down something like 4/$80M from the Lakers during the season. 

The Celtics aren't going to do anything longterm with him, but his best bet might be to come to Boston on a 1-year team-friendly deal and ball out/be a great teamate, etc., and then re-enter free agency next offseason. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Makes me wonder how often it's the agent vs. the player.  Are the players being foolish/greedy or are the agents telling them to hold out?

I think it has to be a little both at least. I think there is something about guys wanting those 100 million contracts…the elite level. He was never going to get that.

We can talk all day long about the Pacers refusal so go spend money but would you really want to be Miami heat?  They are going for bust next year but in 2 years they will have 80 million tied up in a 38 year old Lowry and a 35 year old Butler.  

In 3 years they will be paying a 36 year old Butler 52 million dollars.  Good luck with that.  

1 hour ago, NotIThatLives said:

We can talk all day long about the Pacers refusal so go spend money but would you really want to be Miami heat?  They are going for bust next year but in 2 years they will have 80 million tied up in a 38 year old Lowry and a 35 year old Butler.  

In 3 years they will be paying a 36 year old Butler 52 million dollars.  Good luck with that.  

Agree completely on Miami, they've gone all in on two players that are already regressing, and they're not better than Brooklyn or Milwaukee. They may not be better than Atlanta or Philly, and even arguably Indiana, Boston and New York. 

I could see Miami finish anywhere between 3rd and 6th in the East. A lot depends on a guy like Tyler Herro bouncing back after a disappointing season and how well their older guys can avoid the injury bug. 

With all of that said, Miami will regret those contracts in a year or two. 

• Like 1

I disagree about Miami. They still have Bam and Herro that are on a much longer time line. Robinson too. They will make a run a couple years and then they will have huge expiring deals to go back out and sign two more star caliber players. It’s an attractive market…like LA…they just keep reloading. Sure the window is two years and then they will probably struggle for a year or two in resetting but they will flip it quick. They can either then rebuild around Bam and Herro and Robison or flip them for young players or draft picks. Great GMs find a way. Not saying the will win a championship but they will contend. I also think they will look to make another move as well this year to find another piece. When you are a destination city…rebuilding is so much easier because all you need is cap space because a star will come and he will bring his fellow stars with him.

3 hours ago, BGleas said:

Haha, yeah not to hate Devonte Green, I hope he does really well and I'll be rooting for him, but my first thought was "wow, we're really tossing the word 'star' around lightly here!"

Well not star now but I mean over 10 years in the league and basically a starter most of them with 3 nba championships and plays excellent defense and is 40% from 3pt line. He may not be an all star but he is just a winning type player in rhe league.

14 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Well not star now but I mean over 10 years in the league and basically a starter most of them with 3 nba championships and plays excellent defense and is 40% from 3pt line. He may not be an all star but he is just a winning type player in rhe league.

I think BGleas was referring to Devonte Green being called an IU basketball star lol.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1