NBA Thread

31 minutes ago, dgambill said:

@BGleas Boston been busy with their offseason. Williams and Smart both extensions, bring back several former players and moving Walker and brought in Schroeder…you think they are mostly done.

Mostly done. They could add a veteran around the edges (Millsap or somebody similar).

Boston media and fans are giving Stevens high grades for the offseason. He improved the roster, added veteran experience on team-friendly deals, re-signed key guys (Smart and Williams) on team-friendly deals, and kept flexibility to add a 3rd star in a trade. 

We all know this isn't a roster to compete with Brooklyn, etc., but Stevens did a great job to officially hand the roster to "the Jays" and maintain flexibility to add another star when the time is right. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Mostly done. They could add a veteran around the edges (Millsap or somebody similar).

Boston media and fans are giving Stevens high grades for the offseason. He improved the roster, added veteran experience on team-friendly deals, re-signed key guys (Smart and Williams) on team-friendly deals, and kept flexibility to add a 3rd star in a trade. 

We all know this isn't a roster to compete with Brooklyn, etc., but Stevens did a great job to officially hand the roster to "the Jays" and maintain flexibility to add another star when the time is right. 

Agreed better this year than last…and maintained flexibility…wonder if Ainge was hand tying him last few years.

46 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Agreed better this year than last…and maintained flexibility…wonder if Ainge was hand tying him last few years.

I wouldn't necessarily phrase it that way, but yes Stevens didn't get worse as a coach last year, the roster just wasn't that good and then of course injuries and covid hit them hard. 

But the Celtics bench was basically late first round, 2nd round and undrafted players all still on their rookie deals the last year or two.  

• Like 1

Article on Romeo Langford post summer league. It sort of encapsulates his career to this point...meh. 

Again injuries have really impacted him, but at the same time he seems content to just sort of blend in and not standout. 

https://www.celticsblog.com/2021/8/19/22626391/romeo-langford-people-question-love-for-game-passion-which-dumb-celtics-boston-summer-league-vegas

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/21/2021 at 11:20 AM, BGleas said:

Article on Romeo Langford post summer league. It sort of encapsulates his career to this point...meh. 

Again injuries have really impacted him, but at the same time he seems content to just sort of blend in and not standout. 

https://www.celticsblog.com/2021/8/19/22626391/romeo-langford-people-question-love-for-game-passion-which-dumb-celtics-boston-summer-league-vegas

I am reminded of Knight's comment along the lines of "everyone has the will to win but not everyone has the will to do the preparation to win."  It is analogous.  I am sure in his mind he loves the game.  But it doesn't matter how he labels himself, it's defined by how you actually play.  He has more talent than he shows because there is a lack of a spark there. He allegedly mouthed off to Brad Stevens of all people.  He might need a fresh start but right now he doesn't look like he will be a meaningful player.

I am totally off the bandwagon of wanting in-state kids first and foremost.  Hoosiers naturally love basketball but the result is we have exceptional, out of proportion, hype on some of these kids, e.g., Lander (a project), Langford, et al.  For sure, we should have recruited those two even if the hype was absurd.  Others, not so much.  Our standard for worthiness for in-state players may just have to be higher than it has been.  We are fine in Indy, which should be a priority.  It's too bad the northern part of the state is elusive for us, because there does tend to be more concentration of good players.

Meanwhile, we are landing Bates, Hood-Schifino, Banks, Duncomb et al. from out of state, which speaks for itself.  If that caliber of player is in-state, then fine.  If not, we don't need to force it.

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I am reminded of Knight's comment along the lines of "everyone has the will to win but not everyone has the will to do the preparation to win."  It is analogous.  I am sure in his mind he loves the game.  But it doesn't matter how he labels himself, it's defined by how you actually play.  He has more talent than he shows because there is a lack of a spark there. He allegedly mouthed off to Brad Stevens of all people.  He might need a fresh start but right now he doesn't look like he will be a meaningful player.

I am totally off the bandwagon of wanting in-state kids first and foremost.  Hoosiers naturally love basketball but the result is we have exceptional, out of proportion, hype on some of these kids, e.g., Lander (a project), Langford, et al.  For sure, we should have recruited those two even if the hype was absurd.  Others, not so much.  Our standard for worthiness for in-state players may just have to be higher than it has been.  We are fine in Indy, which should be a priority.  It's too bad the northern part of the state is elusive for us, because there does tend to be more concentration of good players.

Meanwhile, we are landing Bates, Hood-Schifino, Banks, Duncomb et al. from out of state, which speaks for itself.  If that caliber of player is in-state, then fine.  If not, we don't need to force it.

Stevens must not be too hurt….he didn’t move him…I’d say it’s now or never though for him in Boston. I think they see potential in him if he was to be healthy. He easily could slide in as a starter for them if he was to put his offense together for them.

Edited by dgambill

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

MAJOR TRADE NEWS....Carson Edwards traded by Celtics to Memphis....oh wait..he was a throw in.....well anyways....back to football.

Solid trade for the Celtics! They needed to lose a contract (they had 16 players, can only have 15) and moved two guards that probably weren't going to play much, while adding a veteran PF (we needed depth at that spot) that can sometimes provide floor spacing. 

• Like 1

Kris Dunn was a guy I liked a little coming out of college. I think he went fifth overall or close to it.  I whiffed there.  He has bounced around quite a bit.  I saw him come in off the bench at garbage time for the Hawks and was shocked that he was (a) even there, and (b) an afterthought in their rotation.  He is now on his third team since July.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Kris Dunn was a guy I liked a little coming out of college. I think he went fifth overall or close to it.  I whiffed there.  He has bounced around quite a bit.  I saw him come in off the bench at garbage time for the Hawks and was shocked that he was (a) even there, and (b) an afterthought in their rotation.  He is now on his third team since July.  

When the Celtics acquired Dunn the general consensus was that he wouldn't play for them. 

Celtics fans though have always been infatuated with him as well due to the Providence connection. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, BGleas said:

His contract was up and he didn't really do much last season. Played in 29 games and averaged right at 5mpg. 

He may get a 2-way deal, but I'd guess the rest of his career is most likely G-League or overseas. 

Jazz had a very deep team....very little opportunities for him there honestly. I agree completely....two way/g league mostly with call ups most likely. Overseas would give him more money likely and stability. I think his game would translate better there.

7 hours ago, ATX_sig said:

I like Pierce a lot but glad the Mavs passed on him to draft Dirk.  Why the Bucks wanted Tractor Traylor at 6 in that deal and not pierce,  I get him calling them out.

No doubt, Dirk and Pierce both had amazing careers. 

The draft was just odd for Pierce because he was projected 2nd or 3rd and fell all the way to 10. Most likely because even though he was a 1st team AA and a great college player, his athleticism is sneaky and doesn't pop, so he's not going to "wow" you in a draft workout. 

Still, NBA GM's should be smarter than that. Oh well, it worked out just fine for the Celtics. 

20 minutes ago, rico said:

I've never been a huge fan of his game, but it would be interesting even as a moveable contract. He's got something like 2 years and $90M.

For me from the Celtics point of view, you try pairing him with Tatum and Brown, and his contract lines up with Al Horford's, Josh Richardson's and I believe one other player, and all of the sudden you have a team that can try and win for a year and then close to $130-$150M in contracts that you can trade, with other assets, for a legit star. 

• Like 1