NBA Thread

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

I've never been a huge fan of his game, but it would be interesting even as a moveable contract. He's got something like 2 years and $90M.

For me from the Celtics point of view, you try pairing him with Tatum and Brown, and his contract lines up with Al Horford's, Josh Richardson's and I believe one other player, and all of the sudden you have a team that can try and win for a year and then close to $130-$150M in contracts that you can trade, with other assets, for a legit star. 

So you're saying you're interested?

1 hour ago, rico said:

So you're saying you're interested?

If I was running a team I would at least kick the tires. I'm not a big fan of his game and chances are that Wall isn't going to be the missing piece or the answer, but for an organization that manages their cap and assets well, his contract could be a really enticing tradable asset next summer. 

A lot would depend on what Houston wants in return. I'm not giving up anything of real value, so making the numbers work in what you send back to Houston could make it really difficult to do a deal. 

For the Celtics, I believe they still have some trade exceptions, so that could help. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BGleas said:

If I was running a team I would at least kick the tires. I'm not a big fan of his game and chances are that Wall isn't going to be the missing piece or the answer, but for an organization that manages their cap and assets well, his contract could be a really enticing tradable asset next summer. 

A lot would depend on what Houston wants in return. I'm not giving up anything of real value, so making the numbers work in what you send back to Houston could make it really difficult to do a deal. 

For the Celtics, I believe they still have some trade exceptions, so that could help. 

Houston is just trying to avoid paying out a first rd pick to ship him off. I don't think they expect anything significant in return. Probably hoping for smaller pieces that they can move a little more easily.

I really could only see Wall traded in some bigger 3 or 4 team deal that would help match salaries in a bigger player trade like Ben Simmons etc. I just can't see anyone willing to tie up the cap space for a guy with 2 more years at those salaries....unless Houston is sweetening the pot similar to how OKC did with the Walker trade where they got a 1st rd pick.

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

Pacers can't seem to catch a break. First Sumner tears his achilles and then the news that Warren stress fracture is not healing at the rate expected. Guy has been out since opening week last year....I expect he is not going to be a factor this year for us. 

I don't know about anyone else here...but I feel the Pacers need to start making their own breaks.  i.e.  the P's need to work harder at trying to win.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rico said:

I don't know about anyone else here...but I feel the Pacers need to start making their own breaks.  i.e.  the P's need to work harder at trying to win.

I think they need to be proactive about it for sure. Taking chances. Thinking outside the box. Getting creative. You would think with Simon at the age he is he would be all in to make sweeping, dynamic moves/changes…but I guess not. Would be awesome some brash owner with innovative ideas who is willing to take chances and spend big buy the team. Until then…I think we are bound to continue to recycle used ideas.

13 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I think they need to be proactive about it for sure. Taking chances. Thinking outside the box. Getting creative. You would think with Simon at the age he is he would be all in to make sweeping, dynamic moves/changes…but I guess not. Would be awesome some brash owner with innovative ideas who is willing to take chances and spend big buy the team. Until then…I think we are bound to continue to recycle used ideas.

Damn right...trade for Mark Cuban.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, dgambill said:

Houston is just trying to avoid paying out a first rd pick to ship him off. I don't think they expect anything significant in return. Probably hoping for smaller pieces that they can move a little more easily.

I really could only see Wall traded in some bigger 3 or 4 team deal that would help match salaries in a bigger player trade like Ben Simmons etc. I just can't see anyone willing to tie up the cap space for a guy with 2 more years at those salaries....unless Houston is sweetening the pot similar to how OKC did with the Walker trade where they got a 1st rd pick.

2 years isn't tying up your cap for most teams. For most it would allow you to get rid of a bad contract with more years on it. By next summer Wall's deal will be a great asset. 

I do agree that moving Wall now is most likely a multi team deal. I actually think the most likely scenario is Houston has to buy him out somehow. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, dgambill said:

Pacers can't seem to catch a break. First Sumner tears his achilles and then the news that Warren stress fracture is not healing at the rate expected. Guy has been out since opening week last year....I expect he is not going to be a factor this year for us. 

Warren will be playing sooner rather than later. He was playing with the rest of the team at the Pacers facility a couple days ago. The report about his stress fracture looks to be purely precautionary. As for Sumner that's a bad break but he wasn't guaranteed to be in the rotation. It definitely hurts their depth though. 

44 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

Warren will be playing sooner rather than later. He was playing with the rest of the team at the Pacers facility a couple days ago. The report about his stress fracture looks to be purely precautionary. As for Sumner that's a bad break but he wasn't guaranteed to be in the rotation. It definitely hurts their depth though. 

That's good news. The reports last week sounded like this was still ongoing and that it would definitely effect him this season. I kinda felt like that was a big reason why he wasn't dealt....because I don't think he will be re-signed by the team this offseason.

Just now, dgambill said:

That's good news. The reports last week sounded like this was still ongoing and that it would definitely effect him this season. I kinda felt like that was a big reason why he wasn't dealt....because I don't think he will be re-signed by the team this offseason.

They'll resign him if they can. They don't have a good enough way to replace his production on the wing. If you saw the video clips the Pacers media put out he was seen at the very end of the clip in a black shirt. 

Just now, DC2345 said:

They'll resign him if they can. They don't have a good enough way to replace his production on the wing. If you saw the video clips the Pacers media put out he was seen at the very end of the clip in a black shirt. 

If the Pacers do what the Pacers usually do they will let him walk for nothing. I don't think they can afford to pay him 18-20 million that he will be looking for. I mean sure technically they can but from a team building stand point I don't.

I'm not as worried about Sumner. I like the kid but this just opens up minutes for Lamb and Holiday....both whom should see action early on to try to facilitate a trade before the break....they need to clear out room for Duarte and veteran guys like those two are just eating cap and minutes for our young developing players. It's been said ad nauseum having a bunch of well paid good but not great players just mires us in mediocrity. Really need to take some big swings. I guess the word that we went after Ben Simmons could be seen as that...but it didn't sound to credible.

4 minutes ago, dgambill said:

If the Pacers do what the Pacers usually do they will let him walk for nothing. I don't think they can afford to pay him 18-20 million that he will be looking for. I mean sure technically they can but from a team building stand point I don't.

I'm not as worried about Sumner. I like the kid but this just opens up minutes for Lamb and Holiday....both whom should see action early on to try to facilitate a trade before the break....they need to clear out room for Duarte and veteran guys like those two are just eating cap and minutes for our young developing players. It's been said ad nauseum having a bunch of well paid good but not great players just mires us in mediocrity. Really need to take some big swings. I guess the word that we went after Ben Simmons could be seen as that...but it didn't sound to credible.

Who exactly have the Pacers let walk for nothing? None of their main players in the last decade have really left as a free agent other than Lance and Bogdanović. They've had some role players leave and guys at the end of their careers but that's about it. Vic and PG wanted out and they got value in return for both. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, DC2345 said:

Who exactly have the Pacers let walk for nothing? None of their main players in the last decade have really left as a free agent other than Lance and Bogdanović. They've had some role players leave and guys at the end of their careers but that's about it. Vic and PG wanted out and they got value in return for both. 

They could have moved both Bogs and Thad Young when Vic got hurt to contenders for picks or young talent. Heck that whole team were free agents that year. Collison, Joseph among others. They should have torn that team apart and sold them off. Same could have been said for McDermott and McConnell last year. Sure they got a 2nd rd pick and trade exception in a sign and trade for Doug but do you not think they could have possibly got a late future first rd pick from a contender for basically one of the best 3pt shooters in the league or a 2nd rd pick for one of the best defensive pgs in the game for a playoff team? They could have easily brought TJ back. David West and some others could have been moved the year George got hurt. I'm not saying they always do it...but man they would rather scratch and claw for an 8 seed then make moves for the future when it's clear they don't have a team that can advance.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, dgambill said:

They could have moved both Bogs and Thad Young when Vic got hurt to contenders for picks or young talent. Heck that whole team were free agents that year. Collison, Joseph among others. They should have torn that team apart and sold them off. Same could have been said for McDermott and McConnell last year. Sure they got a 2nd rd pick and trade exception in a sign and trade for Doug but do you not think they could have possibly got a late future first rd pick from a contender for basically one of the best 3pt shooters in the league or a 2nd rd pick for one of the best defensive pgs in the game for a playoff team? They could have easily brought TJ back. David West and some others could have been moved the year George got hurt. I'm not saying they always do it...but man they would rather scratch and claw for an 8 seed then make moves for the future when it's clear they don't have a team that can advance.

Well role players are different imo. Which is what all those guys were at the time. The Pacers aren't a team that's ever going to eliminate themselves from contending by blowing up the roster. The Pacers don't view Warren as a role player so he'll fall closer to the category of PG and Vic in terms of importance for them. Also they do want to resign him so it'll be interesting to see if they do. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, rico said:

I hope and PRAY you are right.

The only teams I will 100% say that are better than the Pacers in the East are the Nets and Bucks. Philadelphia might be but with the Simmons drama who knows. The Heat, Hawks, Pacers, Bulls, Knicks, and Celtics will make up the rest. I think the Pacers could be as high as 3 or 4 but I don't think they'll be as low as 8 or 9 so that's why I say 5 or 6. Not to mention they will be better coached than last year. 

• Like 1