NBA Thread

1 hour ago, rico said:

Well I would take him.  He would look good in a Pacer uniform.

Agree largely. The thing with Simmons is that playing alongside Embiid is a terrible fit for him. 

I don't like how Simmons is handling this, but if you put him on a team where the ball is in his hands as a point forward and build a team of shooters and scorers around him, that he can be elite. He's already an elite defender and playmaker, Philly just has the wrong prices around him. 

He's essentially an elite version of Draymond Green. I say that because I've always felt Green is overrated. Hes good, but how good is he if he landed in Minnesota or Memphis as opposed to the situation in GS? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Agree largely. The thing with Simmons is that playing alongside Embiid is a terrible fit for him. 

I don't like how Simmons is handling this, but if you put him on a team where the ball is in his hands as a point forward and build a team of shooters and scorers around him, that he can be elite. He's already an elite defender and playmaker, Philly just has the wrong prices around him. 

He's essentially an elite version of Draymond Green. I say that because I've always felt Green is overrated. Hes good, but how good is he if he landed in Minnesota or Memphis as opposed to the situation in GS? 

I view Ben as a "poor man's" Magic Johnson.  If that makes any sense?

• Like 1

Just now, rico said:

To each their own.  To me, Magic is the comp.  Point forward.  The guy that facilitates and distributes like a true point guard.

So does Draymond....I wouldn't bring Magic down to that level...it's insulting. Just my opinion. Magic was one of those ultimate winners....and didn't come off the court at winning time. Sure he fits that size/skillset but man they were on different planets talent wise. To me Draymond talent is more similar. Both aren't great shooters, both play out of position, both facilitate a ton. Both great defenders.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, dgambill said:

So does Draymond....I wouldn't bring Magic down to that level...it's insulting. Just my opinion. Magic was one of those ultimate winners....and didn't come off the court at winning time. Sure he fits that size/skillset but man they were on different planets talent wise. To me Draymond talent is more similar. Both aren't great shooters, both play out of position, both facilitate a ton. Both great defenders.

Meh...

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Sitting just makes you harder to trade. Not sure how he thinks otherwise. Philly can't get value they have no reason to trade him. He needs to play...raise his value and Philly will ship him. Not for Damian Lillard but at least for quality talent.

Threating to sit is the oldest ploy in the "trade game"

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, rico said:

Threating to sit is the oldest ploy in the "trade game"

Philly wants to trade him....honestly I don't think they have any intention in keeping him long term either. Just how do we get you traded...and playing I think helps both causes. This isn't a case of a team wanting to hold on to the guy...they both want the same thing. Just not at any cost (too low a cost for Philly).

Edited by dgambill

14 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Philly wants to trade him....honestly I don't think they have any intention in keeping him long term either. Just how do we get you traded...and playing I think helps both causes. This isn't a case of a team wanting to hold on to the guy...they both want the same thing. Just not at any cost (too low a cost for Philly).

Management's problem, and really Ben's too, is that Simmons is viewed across the league as "damaged goods" due to his play-off showing.  Management is asking for a premium price that they may not get.  It seems like playing(for the Sixers) would alleviate those "problems" but would Ben's heart be into playing for the Sixers?  To me it is a Catch-22.   Either Philly settles for less than what they see as market value or Ben loses money not honoring his contract

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, rico said:

Management's problem, and really Ben's too, is that Simmons is viewed across the league as "damaged goods" due to his play-off showing.  Management is asking for a premium price that they may not get.  It seems like playing(for the Sixers) would alleviate those "problems" but would Ben's heart be into playing for the Sixers?  To me it is a Catch-22.   Either Philly settles for less than what they see as market value or Ben loses money not honoring his contract

Yep that sums it up quite well. Everyone has something to lose here. The best scenerio is come in and play while we search for a trade partner. This will restore your value around the league and we will have more offers to sift through and move you.

1 hour ago, rico said:

To each their own.  To me, Magic is the comp.  Point forward.  The guy that facilitates and distributes like a true point guard.

I view Magic as a true point guard, not a point forward, despite his height. Magic was a point guard. 

Guys like Simmons, Draymond, Giannis to an extent, going back Scottie Pippen, Lamar Odom, etc. are/were point forwards. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

It went in so you cares best it looks like.  I just don't see Simmons even close to being Magic since Magic is one of the top 5 players of all time

Listen, I didn't say Ben was Magic.  I basically am saying Magic is a good comp for what Ben brings to a team.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, rico said:

Listen, I didn't say Ben was Magic.  I basically am saying Magic is a good comp for what Ben brings to a team.

I see what you are saying as far as physical abilities, they have some of the same qualities. Big men that can handle the ball and create for teammates, but that is were the comparisons stop. They are worlds apart in desire to win and lead a team. Simmons seems like the type that would back down from a challenge while Magic is the type that would come at it full steam. 

My problem with getting Simmons would be investing the picks that it would take to trade for him and a big contract in a limited offensive player that is starting to look like a diva. How long until he is digruntled with his new team and wants traded again. I'm not sure where i seen it but reports are that he wants to be in L.A.

44 minutes ago, Hoosier51 said:

I see what you are saying as far as physical abilities, they have some of the same qualities. Big men that can handle the ball and create for teammates, but that is were the comparisons stop. They are worlds apart in desire to win and lead a team. Simmons seems like the type that would back down from a challenge while Magic is the type that would come at it full steam. 

My problem with getting Simmons would be investing the picks that it would take to trade for him and a big contract in a limited offensive player that is starting to look like a diva. How long until he is digruntled with his new team and wants traded again. I'm not sure where i seen it but reports are that he wants to be in L.A.

I kind of said this earlier, but I still don't put Magic in the same bucket as guys like Simmons, Draymond, Giannis, going back to guys like Pippen and Lamar Odom, etc. Magic was a pure point guard who happened to be tall. Those guys are big men that happen to also have ball handling and playmaking skills. 

I'd bucket Magic with guys like Stockton, IT, Jason Kidd, Chris Paul, etc., etc. Sure physically Magic is different than those guys, but he was a pure point guard that orchestrated the offense. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, BGleas said:

I kind of said this earlier, but I still don't put Magic in the same bucket as guys like Simmons, Draymond, Giannis, going back to guys like Pippen and Lamar Odom, etc. Magic was a pure point guard who happened to be tall. Those guys are big men that happen to also have ball handling and playmaking skills. 

I'd bucket Magic with guys like Stockton, IT, Jason Kidd, Chris Paul, etc., etc. Sure physically Magic is different than those guys, but he was a pure point guard that orchestrated the offense. 

Magic was a unigue talent and like you said more of point guard then any other position, even though he could play them. Those other guys like Simmons are more point fowards with some point guard skills.

Now i need to go get the bile out of my throat for talking good about Magic lol. I was never a fan of his. 😀

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BGleas said:

IMO, from a leadership standpoint, I'd put Draymond in with your PG list even if not a PG. The Simmons, group is more just players who can create and make plays as has been pointed out. I think I'd classify Luka in the Magic, Kidd group but would prefer he play a frontcourt position.  

I think the league is learning guys like Simmons aand Giannis kind of fit the mold as the new bigs in the league since they have can guard most players at any position and out to the perimeter.   I expect some of bigger bigs might be tough to guard in the paint for them but how many of them are left to deal with. 

Edited by ATX_sig