NBA Thread

56 minutes ago, rico said:

I am perfectly fine with the Pacers rolling the dice and acquiring Simmons.

If he works on improving his game and is happy in Indy i would be fine with it. The thing is i don't see either of those happening. I just think the Pacers would be throwing assets away for a guy that is happy just being in the spotlight. One thing that would help him is to get away from Klutch Sports.

5 minutes ago, Hoosier51 said:

If he works on improving his game and is happy in Indy i would be fine with it. The thing is i don't see either of those happening. I just think the Pacers would be throwing assets away for a guy that is happy just being in the spotlight. One thing that would help him is to get away from Klutch Sports.

Coming to the Pacers could be a life-changing event for Ben.  You just never know.  He very well could thrive in Indy and become a legend.  

• Like 1

Just now, rico said:

Coming to the Pacers could be a life-changing event for Ben.  You just never know.  He very well could thrive in Indy and become a legend.  

Yeah possible, or he could be a diva like PG13 and Oladipo and want out to be in a bigger spotlight like L.A or Miami. I would say the latter is more probable lol. At one time people thought Oladipo was going to be a legend in Indy now he is playing with the Heat where he is an afterthought. 

38 minutes ago, Hoosier51 said:

Yeah possible, or he could be a diva like PG13 and Oladipo and want out to be in a bigger spotlight like L.A or Miami. I would say the latter is more probable lol. At one time people thought Oladipo was going to be a legend in Indy now he is playing with the Heat where he is an afterthought. 

That's largely because of injury though on Oladipo. I think if you're the Pacers and you can acquire a player the caliber of Ben Simmons, most likely a tad below market rate, you have to roll the dice. 

It might not be a super long terms solution, but for at least a year or two Simmons is going to be super motivated to prove people wrong, and he's on a fairly long contract. 

Even if Indy isn't his long term plan, you help resurrect him to an extent and then you have a really high level asset to flip in the prime of his career. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, BGleas said:

That's largely because of injury though on Oladipo. I think if you're the Pacers and you can acquire a player the caliber of Ben Simmons, most likely a tad below market rate, you have to roll the dice. 

It might not be a super long terms solution, but for at least a year or two Simmons is going to be super motivated to prove people wrong, and he's on a fairly long contract. 

Even if Indy isn't his long term plan, you help resurrect him to an extent and then you have a really high level asset to flip in the prime of his career. 

Injuries didn't cause Oladipo to become a diva. Unless you meant that is why he is an afterthought now?

I have to disagree with you on Simmons, i think you are wasting assets on a player that doesn't move the needle much and probably will only be in Indy for a year or two.

As fas as him being a high level asset, the more he is discontent and wanting out again the more his worth goes down. There is a reason no one has traded for him yet after supposedly requesting a trade right after the season ended, teams don't think he is worth the asking price.

With that being said the Pacers will probably do a stupid move and trade for him anyways lol. 

Edited by Hoosier51

10 hours ago, BGleas said:

I was suggesting you put Draymond in the deal. 

The hard part for Portland is that by getting Simmons you want to add him to Dame and McCollum, not lose McCollum in the deal. It's the same thing for Boston when people talk about them trying to get Beal. Beal is a great player, but the Celtics need a 3rd star, not just to swap out Jaylen Brown for a marginally better 2nd star. 

If those are the cases then neither of those trade scenarios will happen. Philly wants all-nba talent back...they don't want future picks only. It is going to take probably a 3 team deal where Philly gets talent/star from a 3rd team in return that team is wanting to move off some star talent to rebuild with picks from the team that get's Simmons. Not sure GS would move Draymond (plus it would take a lot more) given he is the vocal leader of their team but maybe. Nothing is going to happen until Philly gets real about their trade demands. 

17 hours ago, Hoosier51 said:

Reading up on a few Philly boards and most of them think Indy will be the likely trade partner, although its fan boards so that doesn't really mean much lol.

To be honest i would be disappointed if the Pacers did trade for him, i am not a big fan of his game and i think he will be just like George and want to get to L.A sooner rather then later.

Ben has 4 years controlled...so that is helpful. Also if he does want out later at least he would be a much better trading chip then say Malcom Brogdon and whomever else we have. NBA is about star players....for a star player you can get draft haul or another young star....for solid players you can't get squat. If we could flip Brogdon and say Sabonis....I'd do it. Not sure how Sabonis would fit in Philly but maybe you get another team involved that would ship another player Philly likes or a couple picks possibly. Pacers get much much better defensively...and hopefully can continue to surround Ben with shooters. It might be the only way you can land a star player....who knows...maybe Ben is motivated while here to raise his level of play under Carlisle and also so he can get to a destination (LA) of his choosing.

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Ben has 4 years controlled...so that is helpful. Also if he does want out later at least he would be a much better trading chip then say Malcom Brogdon and whomever else we have. NBA is about star players....for a star player you can get draft haul or another young star....for solid players you can't get squat. If we could flip Brogdon and say Sabonis....I'd do it. Not sure how Sabonis would fit in Philly but maybe you get another team involved that would ship another player Philly likes or a couple picks possibly. Pacers get much much better defensively...and hopefully can continue to surround Ben with shooters. It might be the only way you can land a star player....who knows...maybe Ben is motivated while here to raise his level of play under Carlisle and also so he can get to a destination (LA) of his choosing.

See this is where we disagree, i don't think Simmons is a player you can build a winning team around. Also if the Pacers traded Brogden and Sabonis for just Ben i would hope every one of them that was involved in it gets fired lol. Me personally i think Simmons star as a player is highly overrated and is at his ceiling. It is just not worth the risk for potentially a one or two year rental.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Hoosier51 said:

See this is where we disagree, i don't think Simmons is a player you can build a winning team around. Also if the Pacers traded Brogden and Sabonis for just Ben i would hope every one of them that was involved in it gets fired lol. Me personally i think Simmons star as a player is highly overrated and is at his ceiling. It is just not worth the risk for potentially a one or two year rental.

I am not sure he can be the leader that carries a team for sure....but the Pacers aren't going anywhere anyways so its moot point imo. To me if you get the best player in the trade...you win. Ben can be flipped later for more value then he has now...and much more value then really good but not star/franchise players like Brogdon/Sabonis. To me if it was handled right and done well he would have PG like value when we would go to flip him...if we didn't wait to long to move him. I think he can be used to land some draft picks plus another young up and coming player that we could control with a manageable contract. He's a means to an end. Just my opinion....I do think Carlisle likes his defensive flexibility and his ability to initiate the offense. I don't think he cares for Brogdon either.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I am not sure he can be the leader that carries a team for sure....but the Pacers aren't going anywhere anyways so its moot point imo. To me if you get the best player in the trade...you win. Ben can be flipped later for more value then he has now...and much more value then really good but not star/franchise players like Brogdon/Sabonis. To me if it was handled right and done well he would have PG like value when we would go to flip him...if we didn't wait to long to move him. I think he can be used to land some draft picks plus another young up and coming player that we could control with a manageable contract. He's a means to an end. Just my opinion....I do think Carlisle likes his defensive flexibility and his ability to initiate the offense. I don't think he cares for Brogdon either.

Personally i think Sabonis would be the best player in the trade. Simmons is a better defender but Sabonis is a better overall player. I would be surprised if the Pacers traded Domas, but i do think Brogdons days in Indy are close to an end.

• Like 1

Just now, rico said:

Better to have tried and failed than to have never tried at all...

#PacersNeedBen

I just think the Pacers have a bunch of solid/good players....but they don't fit/play well together. They just don't work together. It's like they collected the best players they could on the best contracts they could. A lot of solid role players. I don't consider Sabonis a star player...I know some do but he received a ton of the offensive focus with so many players out with injury this year. He doesn't have a game that is real easy to build around. There are some systems I think he could slide into that would work fabulously but it's just hard. Personally I'd rather sell high on him and buy low on Simmons....we will see if it happens. The thought of adding Ben is intriguing. Maybe playing away from the Philly market could cause him to flourish and raise his value back up to a #1 pick guy...and then using him to trade later could really jump start this franchise forward...if not make them a much more intriguing matchup come playoff time defensively.

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

I just think the Pacers have a bunch of solid/good players....but they don't fit/play well together. They just don't work together. It's like they collected the best players they could on the best contracts they could. A lot of solid role players. I don't consider Sabonis a star player...I know some do but he received a ton of the offensive focus with so many players out with injury this year. He doesn't have a game that is real easy to build around. There are some systems I think he could slide into that would work fabulously but it's just hard. Personally I'd rather sell high on him and buy low on Simmons....we will see if it happens. The thought of adding Ben is intriguing. Maybe playing away from the Philly market could cause him to flourish and raise his value back up to a #1 pick guy...and then using him to trade later could really jump start this franchise forward...if not make them a much more intriguing matchup come playoff time defensively.

From the looks of it neither one of us are going to change our minds lol. 

The chances are the Pacers are kicking the tires on Simmons but i think Phillies price will be to high for them and most teams. For Indy to get him the 76ers will have to probably drop their asksing price a lot.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I think we know what safe will get the Pacers.....probably a 6-8 seed in the East and a first round exit. Like it has for the past half dozen years. Be bold!!

Bold is good when the player is worth it, Ben isn't worth it. He doesn't move the needle towards anything more then a first round exit again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hoosier51 said:

Personally i think Sabonis would be the best player in the trade. Simmons is a better defender but Sabonis is a better overall player. I would be surprised if the Pacers traded Domas, but i do think Brogdons days in Indy are close to an end.

The thing is with Embid they don't need a Sabonis or a Turner.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

I know what the reports are saying. I don't think they are legit. Morey is the one likely leaking the info. What Pacers information that gets leaked involving trades or signings ever actually happens? Not very much if any. 

LOL, I see your point but it doesn't stop me from pursuing Simmons to the Pacers on my own!  LOL