NBA Thread

10 hours ago, Hoosier51 said:

He might be the next closest thing to Giannis but there is a wide gulf in between the two. You switch the teams the two play for and the 76ers are celebrating a championship and the Bucks are wondering what they can get from the Kings or the Pacers for Ben after a first round loss lol.

Clearly there is only a few that agree with me on here about Ben, while i think he is talented i just don't think he has it in him to get to the next level with his game. And the cost it would take to get him for what in my opinion would only be a two year rental just isn't worth it. 

I say all that knowing my luck as a fan the Pacers will do something stupid like trade LaVert, Brogdon and a FRP for him lol.😀

I would be more than happy to see if Ben has it in him to take his game to the next level...in a Pacer uniform.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, rico said:

I would be more than happy to see if Ben has it in him to take his game to the next level...in a Pacer uniform.

Yeah, why not? There's almost no downside and only upside. 

Simmons will be hyper-motivated to prove that he is a star and that he can be elite/win without Embiid and the Sixers. 

Even if he wants out as the end of his contract approaches, Indiana will have an All-NBA caliber player in his prime as a trade chip. 

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Simmons will be hyper-motivated to prove that he is a star and that he can be elite/win without Embiid and the Sixers. 

Even if he wants out as the end of his contract approaches, Indiana will have an All-NBA caliber player in his prime as a trade chip. 

I'm late to the party on this thread and haven't read everything. To me Simmons is one of those guys I just have never liked but that could be maybe because he just didn't like the environment he was in. Maybe change of scenery would do him well.

PS....I'm just glad the Pacers are at least trying to get an All Pro. Typically their approach is how do we make sure we are on the bubble for playoffs each year.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

Well lets see the downside you are going to have to invest a lot of your future, draft picks and players to get a player that you hope is motivated enough to prove he is a star. Nothing so far in year five has shown that he is that player.

That always works so well for teams, lets trade for a player that will probably want traded again in a couple years. Lets keep that treadmill going by always trading our best players.

1 hour ago, Hoosier51 said:

Well lets see the downside you are going to have to invest a lot of your future, draft picks and players to get a player that you hope is motivated enough to prove he is a star. Nothing so far in year five has shown that he is that player.

That always works so well for teams, lets trade for a player that will probably want traded again in a couple years. Lets keep that treadmill going by always trading our best players.

Again, the premise is that you're getting Simmons on somewhat of a discount due to his value dropping since the playoffs. So no, you would not be bargaining your future. Is he going to be free? No. But again, the second he arrived in Indiana, if it happened, he would be the best, most accomplished player on the roster. 

Also, he's already a star, and yes he has proven it. He's a 3-time All-Star, he's an All-NBA Player (which is harder to make than an All-Star Team), he's a two-time All-Defensive Team player, an elite playmaker and is elite at finishing in the paint. We all acknowledge that his shooting is an issue, but as @KoB2011 said, Simmons is literally elite in every other facet of the game. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

Again, the premise is that you're getting Simmons on somewhat of a discount due to his value dropping since the playoffs. So no, you would not be bargaining your future. Is he going to be free? No. But again, the second he arrived in Indiana, if a it happened, he would be the best, most accomplished player on the roster. 

Also, he's already a star, and yes he has proven it. He's a 3-time All-Star, he's an All-NBA Player (which is harder to make than an All-Star Team), he's a two-time All-Defensive Team player, an elite playmaker and is elite at finishing in the paint. We all knowledge that his shooting is an issue, but as @KoB2011 said, Simmons is literally elite in every other facet of the game. 

Man we can keep going back and forth on this and neither one of us are going to change our opinion. I don't think he is worth it and think the Pacers would have buyers remorse and you guys think he is. I guess we will have to see how it plays out.👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hoosier51 said:

Man we can keep going back and forth on this and neither one of us are going to change our opinion. I don't think he is worth it and think the Pacers would have buyers remorse and you guys think he is. I guess we will have to see how it plays out.👍

I can safely say that if the Pacers acquire Simmons that I won't have any remorse at all.  

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, rico said:

I can safely say that if the Pacers acquire Simmons that I won't have any remorse at all.  

Indeed...remorse from what...we are an also ran. We are not title contending and not close to it. Will Ben make us that on his own. Hell no...but he can be the catalyst to spur change in the organization....he may be that star that can attract another star to come play with him because he typically makes people around him better. I can't stand his attitude...but I've almost come to that conclusion about a majority of the NBA. I think it's probably more the fact that these guys are making so so so much money they've lost any semblance of connection to the fans/become almost unrelatable. Sure there are several who haven't....but for every Peyton Manning type superstar who despite having no REAL LIFE relatability is still able to tap into the avg sports joe who pulls pranks&jokes/likes a beer/and seems to carry himself in a humble self deprevating personality who seems to hold reverance to the sport that gave him so much in his life...most stars just don't come across that way anymore and are hard to identify with. So despite my distaste for his personality/personal life I recognize on the floor he has as much POTENTIAL as anyone the Pacers have had or had in the past as any. Even if he is just the same player his value will likely only go up for a team trying to find the missing piece to a title run. We can certainly flip him for more talent to build around. I mean you can fit Ben into almost any team in the league in a trade and it makes sense for them....a guy like say Sabonis you just can't say the same for....his value in a trade will never be as high even if the play on the court statistically is very good. I know several people are very polarized on Ben...I have my personal opinion and then my analytical opinion and they are very separate. The Pacers need change...they need a catalyst to reshape this roster. It's full of solid players on solid contracts but they get hurt too much, they don't fit together very well, and they really have no go to player/leader. I believe Ben could be the vehicle that helps move the franchise in the right direction. Not only in taking more chances but hopefully attracting better talent. I don't even need to tune in to the regular season. We will play our way into a back half of the East Conference Playoffs by overachieving and playing hard in the regular season (like NY last year) and we will get washed out of the playoffs and not even close to contending in the series in the first round. Rinse and repeat. Good or bad this will at least at least blow up this trend and we can have a great starting point to build off or it will help us bottom out faster and rebuild this thing. Give me hot or cold.....I don't want room temp soup.

• Like 2

Anyone play fantasy basketball?? Just wondering...played a few years now. Last year I navigated all the injuries and my team in first place and was in the championship game but all my good players basically sat the championship week and I lost by 1 steal 5/4 categories. Anybody got some good sleepers etc to watch for?

I think the Pacers should hire me to just come up with trade scenarios for them to run it past their GM lol.....or maybe not. Anyone think this deal is plausible lol. With Philly targeting Lavert & Brogdon plus picks. If the Pacers want to go all in on defense they could do this and make life miserable come playoff time. Or they could send Wiggins to a 4th team for shooting if they prefer that. I think a starting lineup of Simmons/Duarte/Wiggins/Warren/Turner with McConnell/Craig/Jackson/Milton/Holiday/Bitadze off the bench there is enough flexibility there to run some interesting lineups...maybe could make some minor moves for a 3pt shooting pg as well. To me that team is more interesting and would have a specific identity (defense) than whatever this mis-mash of players we have now...plus two max type contracts that are tradeable in the future.

tradenba-snap-1633712904719.png

8 minutes ago, Hoosier51 said:

Are you the buyer? So i don't imagine you would have buyers remorse. Anything else you can safely say?

If he buys nba league pass to watch the pacers or tickets to games I suppose you could say he is a buyer (stakeholder). I mean we are all fans here (not all of the Pacers but quite a few I suppose). We all have a stake in our team....totally understand your position. It's a very valid one. He is a very polarizing player and I don't fault you one bit....but a lot of Pacer fans are tired of playing it safe over the years. We want them to take chances (better or worse) because the chances are honestly quite slim we ever win a championship here in our lifetime. Be like Toronto...make a bold move and let the chips fall where they may. I know Ben is no Kawhi but everyone knew it was a 1 year rental...and the guy had been pulling DNP injury sit outs the whole year with the Spurs....but they took a risk and were rewarded. I'd say Rico has plenty enough invested in the team to have an opinion.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, dgambill said:

If he buys nba league pass to watch the pacers or tickets to games I suppose you could say he is a buyer (stakeholder). I mean we are all fans here (not all of the Pacers but quite a few I suppose). We all have a stake in our team....totally understand your position. It's a very valid one. He is a very polarizing player and I don't fault you one bit....but a lot of Pacer fans are tired of playing it safe over the years. We want them to take chances (better or worse) because the chances are honestly quite slim we ever win a championship here in our lifetime. Be like Toronto...make a bold move and let the chips fall where they may. I know Ben is no Kawhi but everyone knew it was a 1 year rental...and the guy had been pulling DNP injury sit outs the whole year with the Spurs....but they took a risk and were rewarded.

I am all for taking chances, but not shooting yourself in the foot for a player that hasn't shown he is worth it, and you will still be no better then what you are. Can you honestely say that the Pacers trading for Ben will be anything more then a first or even second round team. If you trade Sabonis to accomodate having Simmons on the floor you will just be trading another one of your best players and weakening your team even more because you aren't getting another player back equal. You will have some picks and throw in players like LaVert on you team once Simmons wants traded again and you can start over but with no star players. I don't really think that first round exit would be worth that.

The Raptors risk reward was an MVP, Pacers would be Ben Simmons not much comparison there lol.😀

Edited by Hoosier51
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Hoosier51 said:

I am all for taking chances, but not shooting yourself in the foot for a player that hasn't shown he is worth it, and you will still be no better then what you are. Can you honestely say that the Pacers trading for Ben will be anything more then a first or even second round team. If you trade Sabonis to accomodate having Simmons on the floor you will just be trading another one of your best players and weakening your team even more because you aren't getting another player back equal. You will have some picks and throw in players like LaVert on you team once Simmons wants traded again and you can start over but with no star players. I don't really think that first round exit would be worth that.

The Raptors risk reward was an MVP, Pacers would be Ben Simmons not much comparison there lol.

Fair enough. I don't value Sabonis nearly what you do, nor do you value what Ben does. Sabonis puts up huge stats on a basketball team with no #1 option, a team that often has no threats because they are injured all the time. He can't guard 4's or 5's. I like Laverts potential if he stays healthy but Brogdon is also always hurt. I REALLY REALLY HATE the Pacers current roster. Anything to shake that thing up is a good thing to me. Even if we lose games in the short term. I hate the mismash of skills that don't compliment each other. The team has no identity at all. Of course this is just all my opinion but it's a team going no where....sitting in the middle of the NBA...not good enough to compete in the playoffs and not bad enough to accumulate top end talent in the draft. Totally respect your opinion.....you seem to be a fan just like the rest of us. Not going to try to change your mind. I get where you are coming from. I can see how a trade could totally backfire or not make us a lot better...just saying it could also work out for the positive if Ben uses this as a spring board even if he wants to get back to a big market. Maybe he just plays the Sabonis role and puts up gaudy stats on a bad team....but even then he value will likely go up and we can then move him for some young talented players from a team that wants to win now. Pacers like control....they have him for 4 years. There are two sides...I think we are just on opposite sides of the coin. I'm ready for an overhaul of the roster.....perhaps you are happy where we sit...it's your right. I won't crap on it...but I'd say if people are for it...they aren't idiots for wanting to roll the dice. There is a lot of talent and potential...I actually think Carlisle is a perfect coach to maximize it and I didn't even want him as the next coach I wanted a total rebuild.

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

I REALLY REALLY HATE the Pacers current roster.

Now this we agree on, i am not all that thrilled with the Pacers roster. One or maybe both of Brogdon and LaVert will be traded and it is probably time to move on from the Turner and Sabonis frontcourt, which will suck a little since Myles has been my favorite Pacer since he was drafted.  I think they have something in Duarte, maybe a career like Grangers without the injuries. Jackson was a good pick also, he has a lot defensive potential. 👍

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Hoosier51 said:

Now this we agree on, i am not all that thrilled with the Pacers roster. One or maybe both of Brogdon and LaVert will be traded and it is probably time to move on from the Turner and Sabonis frontcourt, which will suck a little since Myles has been my favorite Pacer since he was drafted.  I think they have something in Duarte, maybe a career like Grangers without the injuries. Jackson was a good pick also, he has a lot defensive potential. 👍

I was hoping we would package something to move up into the top 10 when the draft was around but Duarte might even surpass my expectations. I liked Jackson a lot. Big time energy guy, block shots, rebound....had a nice little touch on his jumper (limited range) when he was faced up in college. Think they may have hit on both those guys possibly. Glad we agree on some things lol!! I think all Pacer fans agree we need to shake up the roster...totally understand we disagree on how to do it. All good my friend!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dgambill said:

Anyone play fantasy basketball?? Just wondering...played a few years now. Last year I navigated all the injuries and my team in first place and was in the championship game but all my good players basically sat the championship week and I lost by 1 steal 5/4 categories. Anybody got some good sleepers etc to watch for?

I did play fantasy basketball in the past, and I just couldn't get into it.  The whole system was weird, going by the week.  

I even stopped with fantasy football after a good 20 years of it.  I was in a very advanced, keeper league.  You built your roster over time and I had an affinity for "my guys."  But at the end, it started to become a chore, akin to something I had to tickle for work.  Maybe I will get back into it after a hiatus.

I think baseball was maybe even the most fun.  I played in the 1980s and our league had a budget/salary cap.  I think we called it rotisserie ball for some reason.  Pre-internet.  I still remember that I had Ted Power and Dave Smith anchoring my bullpen.  Those were the days.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I did play fantasy basketball in the past, and I just couldn't get into it.  The whole system was weird, going by the week.  

I even stopped with fantasy football after a good 20 years of it.  I was in a very advanced, keeper league.  You built your roster over time and I had an affinity for "my guys."  But at the end, it started to become a chore, akin to something I had to tickle for work.  Maybe I will get back into it after a hiatus.

I think baseball was maybe even the most fun.  I played in the 1980s and our league had a budget/salary cap.  I think we called it rotisserie ball for some reason.  Pre-internet.  I still remember that I had Ted Power and Dave Smith anchoring my bullpen.  Those were the days.

Baseball is just SOOO LONG...you lose interest like half way. I remember getting what was it the sporting news newspaper to check player stats and calculate (this before the internet). I remember we all had our favorite players like Griffey/Thomas/L Walker/Maddox/Clemons on and on.

The nba is kind of a long season...but I like 9 category league....you really have to balance your lineup. I know I had CJ McConnell who was getting me tons of steals....guys for just blocks/rebounds/fg. Sometimes star players didn't always perform the best. Anyways I'll try it again. Basically you just set your lineup and don't make a lot of changes during the week...but mostly rotate guys at the end of your bench depending if they only have a couple games that week for maybe a guy that might have 4 or something.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 1