NBA Thread

7 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I watched part of the 2nd half of the Celtics game.  Still thought Romeo was lacking aggressiveness.  Being more aggressive is something he needs to do to take the next step.

Yeah, while he was definitely more aggressive than the past two seasons and more confident with his 3pt shot, my kids and I were still joking during the game that if there was an MVP for running straight to the corner and just standing there on offense, Langford would be the GOAT! 

People still give Archie crap for Langford standing in the corner, but I've watched him for 3 straight seasons (1 at IU and 2 in Boston) and that's basically his go-to on every possession. 

But, the good news is that he does appear more confident this season, and counting the preseason his 3pt shot looks much, much improved. 

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

Yeah, while he was definitely more aggressive than the past two seasons and more confident with his 3pt shot, my kids and I were still joking during the game that if there was an MVP for running straight to the corner and just standing there on offense, Langford would be the GOAT! 

People still give Archie crap for Langford standing in the corner, but I've watched him for 3 straight seasons (1 at IU and 2 in Boston) and that's basically his go-to on every possession. 

But, the good news is that he does appear more confident this season, and counting the preseason his 3pt shot looks much, much improved. 

But did Romeo run to the corner aggressively?  LOL

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, BGleas said:

You don't think he is told to do that? I mean if it is that obvious don't you think the coach would "coach" him out of doing that. I see guys on lot's of teams run to the corner...in fact guys like PJ Tucker have made a career out of it (and his defense and rebounding). Just saying no coach is going to continue to put in a guy who is not doing what he is asked to do. Unfortunately, I think Boston wants that...because they want Brown and Tatum out top with the ball in this offense. If I remember correctly (and heck maybe I don't) but people wanted Romeo out front running pick n roll with Morgan or getting him the ball at the elbow etc. If the coach allowed him to float to the corner and didn't correct it....that's a coaching problem. Having a guy run to the corner as you know a very popular part of most offenses for spacing. You don't want guys bringing their defender over to help off on Tatum and Brown when they are going one on one or running pick n roll. I think he is doing basically what they ask him. If you want him on the ball then you have to run plays for him....evidentally they don't trust him or want to do that because he is like 5th fiddle behind Tatum, Brown, Schroder, and Smart.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rico said:

Well that is better than being a lollygagger.  Hopefully he gets it straightened out becomes the player he is capable of becoming.

If he keeps up and builds upon what he's done early this year, then he's off the a good start of at minimum establishing himself as a legit rotation players at the NBA level. I think finally being healthy and having an entire offseason has been big for him. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, dgambill said:

You don't think he is told to do that? I mean if it is that obvious don't you think the coach would "coach" him out of doing that. I see guys on lot's of teams run to the corner...in fact guys like PJ Tucker have made a career out of it (and his defense and rebounding). Just saying no coach is going to continue to put in a guy who is not doing what he is asked to do. Unfortunately, I think Boston wants that...because they want Brown and Tatum out top with the ball in this offense. If I remember correctly (and heck maybe I don't) but people wanted Romeo out front running pick n roll with Morgan or getting him the ball at the elbow etc. If the coach allowed him to float to the corner and didn't correct it....that's a coaching problem. Having a guy run to the corner as you know a very popular part of most offenses for spacing. You don't want guys bringing their defender over to help off on Tatum and Brown when they are going one on one or running pick n roll. I think he is doing basically what they ask him. If you want him on the ball then you have to run plays for him....evidentally they don't trust him or want to do that because he is like 5th fiddle behind Tatum, Brown, Schroder, and Smart.

My point is, Archie got hammered for how he used Langford, and what I'm saying is I've watched him for 3+ seasons, now on his second organization (IU and the Celtics) and his third head coach (Archie, Stevens and now Udoka) and maybe it's a Langford issue. 

I've seen several Celtics over the years that play the same role/position (Nesmith, Semi Ojeleye, Javonte Green, etc.) as Langford, and while they also spend time spotting up in the corner, they also manage to find themselves involved in ball screens and up top and on the wing with the ball and being aggressive, while Langford would run from corner to corner and treat the ball like a hot potato. 

At some point that is on Langford. 

Something the announcers brought up last night is that Jaylen Brown has not only improved his shooting but what doesn't get talked about is how much he has improved his ball handling. When he was first in the league he basically only had a straight-line drive, but he's improved his ball handling so much that it is now a huge strength and he has all of the moves in his bag when coming off ball screens or being isolated. 

I'd guess Langford is still in the corner because he still has no left hand and isn't super capable at the NBA level of breaking anyone down off the dribble and he's just now improving his jumper to where it is respectable. Of course, some of that is due to his injury issues. 

But again, I more just bring this up because Archie got blasted for Langford being in the corner all of the time, but under two other head coaches I haven't seen much different from Langford. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, BGleas said:

My point is, Archie got hammered for how he used Langford, and what I'm saying is I've watched him for 3+ seasons, now on his second organization (IU and the Celtics) and his third head coach (Archie, Stevens and now Udoka) and maybe it's a Langford issue. 

I've seen several Celtics over the years that play the same role/position (Nesmith, Semi Ojeleye, Javonte Green, etc.) as Langford, and while they also spend time spotting up in the corner, they also manage to find themselves involved in ball screens and up top and on the wing with the ball and being aggressive, while Langford would run from corner to corner and treat the ball like a hot potato. 

At some point that is on Langford. 

Something the announcers brought up last night is that Jaylen Brown has not only improved his shooting but what doesn't get talked about is how much he has improved his ball handling. When he was first in the league he basically only had a straight-line drive, but he's improved his ball handling so much that it is now a huge strength and he has all of the moves in his bag when coming off ball screens or being isolated. 

I'd guess Langford is still in the corner because he still has no left hand and isn't super capable at the NBA level of breaking anyone down off the dribble and he's just now improving his jumper to where it is respectable. Of course, some of that is due to his injury issues. 

But again, I more just bring this up because Archie got blasted for Langford being in the corner all of the time, but under two other head coaches I haven't seen much different from Langford. 

As Brown improves hes reminding me of DWade more and more

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

Pacers extended Brogdon....two more years at @ 22 million. He can't be part of a Ben Simmons trade this year. It would seem the Pacers are very likely out of the running now.

Pacers fans should be good with that.  The more that comes out, the worse Big Baby Ben looks.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FKIM01 said:

Pacers fans should be good with that.  The more that comes out, the worse Big Baby Ben looks.

Issue is now we have extended an injury prone player another 2 years and he can't be traded until the offseason. It may add long term trade value but I doubt it. Seems we are determined to run this team back this year....going to be a long one.

21 minutes ago, Hoosier51 said:

This could go on awhile.

While it's probably not best for the organization, I actually appreciate what the Sixers are doing here. 

I'm all for player empowerment and all of that stuff, but this is a player that just signed a 5-year deal last offseason and while getting paid millions hasn't bothered to improve his game. This isn't a guy on the last year of a deal. 

While the organization isn't blameless, Simmons is acting like a petulant child, and I'm also glad an organization is standing up to Rich Paul and LeBron James' agency. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, BGleas said:

While it's probably not best for the organization, I actually appreciate what the Sixers are doing here. 

I'm all for player empowerment and all of that stuff, but this is a player that just signed a 5-year deal last offseason and while getting paid millions hasn't bothered to improve his game. This isn't a guy on the last year of a deal. 

While the organization isn't blameless, Simmons is acting like a petulant child, and I'm also glad an organization is standing up to Rich Paul and LeBron James' agency. 

Agree with this 100% 👍

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hoosier51 said:

This could go on awhile.

I notice Morey is no longer talking about all-nba player in exchange....now he just wants a difference maker. He will cave. Not saying he won't get a good deal but he isn't holding out that long. Just blustering. First off he will be out of a job if he doesn't get something for Ben well before then (may be out before the end of the year)....and second if he waited Embiid's career will be over. He may sound tough...but to me he is sounding more and more desperate. So we've gone from all-nba (Lillard/Beal/Hardenesce type deal) to a difference maker....not even an all-star...a difference maker. He is certainly lowering the bar RAPIDLY. Lower expecations so that whomever and whatever he gets will look better. It's funny that people are applauding him saying how tough he is getting....it's all smoke. As long as Ben gets paid he has the leverage. Morey can't wait that long...he DOES NOT have the upper hand.

25 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I notice Morey is no longer talking about all-nba player in exchange....now he just wants a difference maker. He will cave. Not saying he won't get a good deal but he isn't holding out that long. Just blustering. First off he will be out of a job if he doesn't get something for Ben well before then (may be out before the end of the year)....and second if he waited Embiid's career will be over. He may sound tough...but to me he is sounding more and more desperate. So we've gone from all-nba (Lillard/Beal/Hardenesce type deal) to a difference maker....not even an all-star...a difference maker. He is certainly lowering the bar RAPIDLY. Lower expecations so that whomever and whatever he gets will look better. It's funny that people are applauding him saying how tough he is getting....it's all smoke. As long as Ben gets paid he has the leverage. Morey can't wait that long...he DOES NOT have the upper hand.

I agree and disagree.  No one knows how this season is going to play out for every team.  Someone potentially will get desperate or feel they are a piece or two away.  Right now, there isn't move, but that could change in a month and you don't want to sell low on a borderline All-NBA guy.  No reason not to wait and see if market improves. 

They are going to make playoffs with or without Simmons, so see what happens between trade deadline. I would argue Simmons stock can't go much lower.  There is always going to be a team that thinks they can bring them into their system and do better with him.  I just don't see Simmons happy other than a big market and feel he is only an asset to a championship contender.  Everyone in the next level, this is a lateral move at best.

Edited by IUALUM03
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

As long as Ben gets paid he has the leverage. Morey can't wait that long...he DOES NOT have the upper hand.

From what i have read Ben hasn't been paid one penny since this started, they have been taking it out in fines for missing practice and games. Ben is losing in every way possible, his reputation and bank account are taking big hits right now. Morey knows that there is a chance some idiot GM will get desperate later on this season and accept a decent trade. 

While Morey is crazy thinking he will get an All-Star he is looking a lot better then Simmons and Klutch Sports in this. Simmons warts are at the forefront right now and they are not pretty, he is a petulent child that is unwilling to improve his game and evidently afraid of the challenge of the big stage in the playoffs. Also Morey is calling Rich Paul and Lebrons bluff by standing up to them. Which is going to look great for him in the eyes of the league and owners.

I have a feeling this is probably going to get uglier as time goes on. 👍

1 hour ago, Hoosier51 said:

From what i have read Ben hasn't been paid one penny since this started, they have been taking it out in fines for missing practice and games. Ben is losing in every way possible, his reputation and bank account are taking big hits right now. Morey knows that there is a chance some idiot GM will get desperate later on this season and accept a decent trade. 

While Morey is crazy thinking he will get an All-Star he is looking a lot better then Simmons and Klutch Sports in this. Simmons warts are at the forefront right now and they are not pretty, he is a petulent child that is unwilling to improve his game and evidently afraid of the challenge of the big stage in the playoffs. Also Morey is calling Rich Paul and Lebrons bluff by standing up to them. Which is going to look great for him in the eyes of the league and owners.

I have a feeling this is probably going to get uglier as time goes on. 👍

He isn't...but if he is able to show he is suffering from mental illness etc he might be able to get paid like he would for an injury and still sit out. But yes if he wants to get paid he will have to go in and at least feign like he cares. If I'm him and my goal is to get traded I just pull a James Harden....and eat like crap and put on weight and basically come back out of shape and sit the bench until they trade me. He just needs to show up and do what they ask...they can't force him to play at a high level...just do the bare minimum....they will quickly not want that around the other players and send him back home on paid leave.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, dgambill said:

He isn't...but if he is able to show he is suffering from mental illness etc he might be able to get paid like he would for an injury and still sit out. But yes if he wants to get paid he will have to go in and at least feign like he cares. If I'm him and my goal is to get traded I just pull a James Harden....and eat like crap and put on weight and basically come back out of shape and sit the bench until they trade me. He just needs to show up and do what they ask...they can't force him to play at a high level...just do the bare minimum....they will quickly not want that around the other players and send him back home on paid leave.

It looks like they are going with mental health. If that doesn't work they might try the eating thing. Maybe become Oliver Miller or he might consult with Zion and Harden on their diet habits lol.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hoosier51 said:

It looks like they are going with mental health. If that doesn't work they might try the eating thing. Maybe become Oliver Miller or he might consult with Zion and Harden on their diet habits lol.

Yep..or just go in and refuse to shoot. Just drive in for a wide open layup and throw it back out like he did in the playoffs. So many ways he can still force their hand. Yes he might not be able to sit at home and just collect a check but he can just put his earbuds in and go to work and ignore everyone....practice.....and never shoot. Say it's a mental block or something....tramatized whatever.....he still has the upper hand imo if he wants to handle it smartly.

3 minutes ago, dgambill said:

he still has the upper hand imo if he wants to handle it smartly.

Nothing they have done so far says they are capable of doing it intelligently. I have a feeling when all is said and done he will be playing for either the Kings or Wolves and next year or the year after you can flip those teams after he wants traded again.

8 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Yep..or just go in and refuse to shoot. Just drive in for a wide open layup and throw it back out like he did in the playoffs. So many ways he can still force their hand. Yes he might not be able to sit at home and just collect a check but he can just put his earbuds in and go to work and ignore everyone....practice.....and never shoot. Say it's a mental block or something....tramatized whatever.....he still has the upper hand imo if he wants to handle it smartly.

I don't think he's really forcing their hand. I'm not saying they won't eventually make a deal or that the deal won't be lesser than what they hope, but I can promise you that Daryl Morey has thought through these scenarios. 

Morey knew how Simmons could retaliate once he came back to the team. I don't think they're surprised or caught off guard by what Simmons is doing. These are smart guys.

The question is just how long are they willing to put up with it, and from the sounds of comments Morey has made they Sixers are in this for a considerable amount of time. 

• Like 2