NBA Thread

56 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Fred Van Vleet has graduated with honors from the Kyle Lowry School of Flopping, Flailing, and Drawing Fake Charges. 

Worst part of basketball.  I detest all of that, no matter who does it.  I wish they’d penalize it with real teeth.  

Now that’s different from slowing down and having somebody run into you.  That’s a real foul.  

I don’t want to see acting/pretending. It’s just ugly ball and takes fun away IMO.   

I would love to see flops being challengeable.  They go to the video, it’s a flop and you get a technical and a warning. Second time, you’re gone. 

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Pacers lose 135-134 in OT to the Wizards.  Pacers are only the second team to lose their first two games by 1 point. Pacers blew a 6 point lead in the last two minutes of the game.  They also got up by 6 in OY as well.

That powerful Fort Wayne Pistons crew back in 55 was the other. Not ideal with Heat coming to town. 

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

That powerful Fort Wayne Pistons crew back in 55 was the other. Not ideal with Heat coming to town. 

The schedule makers didn't help the Pacers.  They played on the road last night while the Heat was off.  The Heat was probably in Indy where the Pacers flew in late from DC.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, BGleas said:

I don't think he's really forcing their hand. I'm not saying they won't eventually make a deal or that the deal won't be lesser than what they hope, but I can promise you that Daryl Morey has thought through these scenarios. 

Morey knew how Simmons could retaliate once he came back to the team. I don't think they're surprised or caught off guard by what Simmons is doing. These are smart guys.

The question is just how long are they willing to put up with it, and from the sounds of comments Morey has made they Sixers are in this for a considerable amount of time. 

I think that’s a horrible way to handle it the way Morey is. Not only does it send a send a signal to other free agents and agents that he will not work with you if you want a trade or you don’t see eye to eye but he is giving ammo by going into public statements running down Ben airing out all the disagreements etc instead of keeping it all inside the organization. He himself is just lowering Bens value. Then on top of it all he is asking for the moon. I mean he is being completely unreasonable. I just think Philly has handled this all horribly. From after the post season when they didn’t defend Ben in the media and his teammates didn’t have his back…of course the city and the fans haven’t helped. All I know if I’m a free agent I don’t want anything to do with Morey. Always wants to win every every situation and never compromise whether trade or public perception etc. This all could have been handled entirely differently but this I’m going to deal with it for 4 years crap is dumb. In the end it’s like both sides have decided on using Nukes and both have mutually agreed to blow each other up and their will be no winner.

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

Top 75 related??? AD over Howard is just laughable. AD should be kissing Howard’s butt. He doesn’t have a championship without him that year. Howard was an important cog in that machine.

Wait… you’re saying Howard should have been on the 75th Anniversary Team over AD??

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

I think that’s a horrible way to handle it the way Morey is. Not only does it send a send a signal to other free agents and agents that he will not work with you if you want a trade or you don’t see eye to eye but he is giving ammo by going into public statements running down Ben airing out all the disagreements etc instead of keeping it all inside the organization. He himself is just lowering Bens value. Then on top of it all he is asking for the moon. I mean he is being completely unreasonable. I just think Philly has handled this all horribly. From after the post season when they didn’t defend Ben in the media and his teammates didn’t have his back…of course the city and the fans haven’t helped. All I know if I’m a free agent I don’t want anything to do with Morey. Always wants to win every every situation and never compromise whether trade or public perception etc. This all could have been handled entirely differently but this I’m going to deal with it for 4 years crap is dumb. In the end it’s like both sides have decided on using Nukes and both have mutually agreed to blow each other up and their will be no winner.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one. If Simmons was in the last year of his deal, then I would agree that the Sixers/Morey should cut bait and take what they can get, given that his new team would have no commitment beyond the season.

But this is a player with 4 years left on his contract. Simmons is a 6'10" 25 year old point guard that is an All-NBA player, 3X all-star, 2x defensive team and former ROY. The idea that the Sixers should give him up for $0.30 on the dollar because Simmons is acting like a petulant unprofessional child doesn't work. 

While Simmons certainly has a good deal of leverage, the Sixers are not without leverage here. The Sixers can sit on this for months, especially again since Simmons is not a guy in the last year of his deal, and not pay him. At some point they'll fight the injury or mental health thing. They can force the league to play out over the next two months and some teams will become more desparate and the offer could, and most likely will, change and improve. 

But trading a player of Simmons caliber for Malcolm Brogdan or Buddy Heild is not something the Sixers need to do or should do right now. In 3-4 months after the landscape has changed? Maybe. But, not now. The Sixers are competitive enough right now to slow play this. 

I don't mean this directed at you specifically, but people said the same things about Danny Ainge on here, always wanting to win trades and get the best deal he could. Well of course, that was/is his job. His job, and Morey's, isn't to make things fair, it's to win and do the best possible for his organization. Morey was extremely successful in Houston and was a Chris Paul hamstring away from beating the 70+ win Warriors in the Western Conference Finals. 

32 minutes ago, BGleas said:

We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one. If Simmons was in the last year of his deal, then I would agree that the Sixers/Morey should cut bait and take what they can get, given that his new team would have no commitment beyond the season.

But this is a player with 4 years left on his contract. Simmons is a 6'10" 25 year old point guard that is an All-NBA player, 3X all-star, 2x defensive team and former ROY. The idea that the Sixers should give him up for $0.30 on the dollar because Simmons is acting like a petulant unprofessional child doesn't work. 

While Simmons certainly has a good deal of leverage, the Sixers are not without leverage here. The Sixers can sit on this for months, especially again since Simmons is not a guy in the last year of his deal, and not pay him. At some point they'll fight the injury or mental health thing. They can force the league to play out over the next two months and some teams will become more desparate and the offer could, and most likely will, change and improve. 

But trading a player of Simmons caliber for Malcolm Brogdan or Buddy Heild is not something the Sixers need to do or should do right now. In 3-4 months after the landscape has changed? Maybe. But, not now. The Sixers are competitive enough right now to slow play this. 

I don't mean this directed at you specifically, but people said the same things about Danny Ainge on here, always wanting to win trades and get the best deal he could. Well of course, that was/is his job. His job, and Morey's, isn't to make things fair, it's to win and do the best possible for his organization. Morey was extremely successful in Houston and was a Chris Paul hamstring away from beating the 70+ win Warriors in the Western Conference Finals. 

I think it’s a strategic mistake how he is handling it. I already see they’ve made an about face as an organization and now the teammates are singing Bens praises last night…after months of tearing him down in the media and leaking all the bad stuff and wonder why his value has tanked. Philly did that…now Ben has done his part as well but they had all offseason to move the man. They knew like you said what would happen once the season would begin. This isn’t a surprise what unhappy players would do. But since Morey is asking the most unrealistic players possible (holding out for a Lillard nba top 75 all time great apparently lol) for a guy that struggles to even shoot the ball he has basically sent this confrontation to mutual destruction. Now he just wants a difference maker. Had he quietly done his job they could have gone into the season with a team surrounded around Embiid to win the East but Morey is obsessed (like all other gms) with multiple superstars…while ignoring the fact the past two nba champions have been comprised of one superstar surrounded by another all star and excellent role players. That’s just how I feel.

40 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Absolutely! While Howard's second act hasn't been great for a variety of reasons, his first act was way better than Anthony Davis'. 

Nba champion, 8 time all-star, first team all nba 5 times, 8 time honoree, 3 time defensive player of the year, 4 time all defensive, 5 time nba leading rebounder, 2 time led in blocks, and carried his team to nba finals only by taking out prime Lebron James along the way denying everyone Kobe vs Lebron. If it wasn’t for the LA fued with Kobe the first time he wouldn’t be disrespected like this. It isn’t even close. I have problems with several others on the list but AD is not accomplished yet…maybe someday but he has to stay on the court for that.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

I think it’s a strategic mistake how he is handling it. I already see they’ve made an about face as an organization and now the teammates are singing Bens praises last night…after months of tearing him down in the media and leaking all the bad stuff and wonder why his value has tanked. Philly did that…now Ben has done his part as well but they had all offseason to move the man. They knew like you said what would happen once the season would begin. This isn’t a surprise what unhappy players would do. But since Morey is asking the most unrealistic players possible (holding out for a Lillard nba top 75 all time great apparently lol) for a guy that struggles to even shoot the ball he has basically sent this confrontation to mutual destruction. Now he just wants a difference maker. Had he quietly done his job they could have gone into the season with a team surrounded around Embiid to win the East but Morey is obsessed (like all other gms) with multiple superstars…while ignoring the fact the past two nba champions have been comprised of one superstar surrounded by another all star and excellent role players. That’s just how I feel.

Yeah, we just see this differently. Doc and Embiid handled to postgame press conference after the Hawks loss terribly, like really bad, but after that they have consistently said they want Ben back, etc. The organization met with Simmons and told him they wanted him back, and before camp Embiid and other players asked to fly to LA to meet with Simmons and talk things out, and Simmons refused that. 

The organization isn't blameless, but Simmons has behaved like a whiny, unprofessional crybaby in all of this.

While the Sixers don't need 3 HOF'ers to win the East or a title, they do need more than Embiid, Seth Curry and Buddy Heild or Malcom Brodgon. They need a second star, and Ben Simmons, even with his shooting flaws, would garner a star in a trade if he would just come back and play hard and to his talent level for a month or two. Then this would all be over. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Nba champion, 8 time all-star, first team all nba 5 times, 8 time honoree, 3 time defensive player of the year, 4 time all defensive, 5 time nba leading rebounder, 2 time led in blocks, and carried his team to nba finals only by taking out prime Lebron James along the way denying everyone Kobe vs Lebron. If it wasn’t for the LA fued with Kobe the first time he wouldn’t be disrespected like this. It isn’t even close. I have problems with several others on the list but AD is not accomplished yet…maybe someday but he has to stay on the court for that.

Completely agree. Just look at their first 10 seasons (because that is what AD has played).

Howard:

8X All-NBA

5X All-NBA 1st Team

8X All Star

3X DPOY

5X All-Defensive Team

5X Rebounding Champ

2X Block Champ

Carried Orlando to the Finals, with no other all-star, beating LeBron along the way.

Anthony Davis:

4X All-NBA

4X All-NBA First Team

8X All-Star

4X All-Defensive Team

3X Block Champ

Only made the playoffs 2 times in New Orleans, getting out of the first round only once. Both have one championship, though AD was in his prime for that title. Caveat though is that Howard, when healthy and in his prime, never had a teammate like LeBron. Howard's back was shot when he was with Kobe. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BGleas said:

Absolutely! While Howard's second act hasn't been great for a variety of reasons, his first act was way better than Anthony Davis'. 

I can’t agree with that. Davis career average for points is better than Howard’s career high. 

Davis has been an elite defender for longer than Howard was one. Howard was a better rebounder in his prime but that’s about the only area you could give him the edge. 

5 hours ago, BGleas said:

Completely agree. Just look at their first 10 seasons (because that is what AD has played).

Howard:

8X All-NBA

5X All-NBA 1st Team

8X All Star

3X DPOY

5X All-Defensive Team

5X Rebounding Champ

2X Block Champ

Carried Orlando to the Finals, with no other all-star, beating LeBron along the way.

Anthony Davis:

4X All-NBA

4X All-NBA First Team

8X All-Star

4X All-Defensive Team

3X Block Champ

Only made the playoffs 2 times in New Orleans, getting out of the first round only once. Both have one championship, though AD was in his prime for that title. Caveat though is that Howard, when healthy and in his prime, never had a teammate like LeBron. Howard's back was shot when he was with Kobe. 

This isn’t exactly an apples to apples comparison. Howard is a center, who was he competing with for the first team selections? The competition AD has had for first team selections is SIGNIFICANTLY steeper. As in two of the probably top ten players of all time being considered forwards and then front court players. 

24 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I can’t agree with that. Davis career average for points is better than Howard’s career high. 

Davis has been an elite defender for longer than Howard was one. Howard was a better rebounder in his prime but that’s about the only area you could give him the edge. 

Howard is a 3X DPOY, Davis has none. 

• Like 1