NBA Thread

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

His contract indeed won't inhibit our ability to move him. I mean if John Wall can get traded for Russell Westbrook then anyone can get traded lol.

Agree, though I don't even mean it won't inhibit a trade, I mean it's a positive asset that can help facilitate trades. 

He's a tough, productive player who has a short-term deal, that's an asset that can be pretty valuable on the trade market. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, BGleas said:

Agree, though I don't even mean it won't inhibit a trade, I mean it's a positive asset that can help facilitate trades. 

He's a tough, productive player who has a short-term deal, that's an asset that can be pretty valuable on the trade market. 

Brogdon is ill suited for our current roster. I believe he would be an excellent fit on some other teams that can help hide his defense and don't want to use him as the primary pg.....that ain't us.

• Like 1

On 10/25/2021 at 9:37 PM, 02Hoosier said:

OG comes up with two clutch baskets to cap off 15-2 run for the Raptors. 4:00 left in the game. 99-95 Chicago

Guy doesn't get the love he deserves around here. All the Romeo and Dipo talk but this young man is developing into quite the stud. I think we should all start throwing out the a little more respect for him and what he is accomplishing. Might be time to start calling on him to come in and speak with these youngsters about how hard work can pay off!

Also.....I still haven't forgiven the Pacers for passing on him.

• Like 3

Guy doesn't get the love he deserves around here. All the Romeo and Dipo talk but this young man is developing into quite the stud. I think we should all start throwing out the a little more respect for him and what he is accomplishing. Might be time to start calling on him to come in and speak with these youngsters about how hard work can pay off!

Also.....I still haven't forgiven the Pacers for passing on him.

I agree 100%, loved watching him at IU

• Like 1

I was listening to the Pacers game so I didn't see the incident with Durant.  I guess he threw the ball into the stands and was given a tech but on ejected.  The announcers read the rule and it says that no matter in intention of a player throws or kicks the ball in the stands they receive a tech and ate ejected from the game.  So this to me shows the refs didn't know the rules and are coddling the super stars.

When star players or coaches go publicly complaining about how the game is reffed those players will start getting calls.  Harden called out the refs about how they are not calling fouls when the offensive guys force the contact. Harden going into today's game had only been to the line 15 times.  Tonight he went to the line 19 times and the Nets shot 41 as a team.

7 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Pacers lost 105-98 and there were so many different runs in the games.

Pacers started out 46-30

.Nets then went on a 53-23.

Pacers went 21-7 to tie the game at 90.

Nets finished 15-8

This Pacers team has some nice parts but it just doesn't mesh well together. I see some trades coming soon for them. The only two players i hope they don't include in any trades is Duarte and Jackson, i really like their potential.

8 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I was listening to the Pacers game so I didn't see the incident with Durant.  I guess he threw the ball into the stands and was given a tech but on ejected.  The announcers read the rule and it says that no matter in intention of a player throws or kicks the ball in the stands they receive a tech and ate ejected from the game.  So this to me shows the refs didn't know the rules and are coddling the super stars.

When star players or coaches go publicly complaining about how the game is reffed those players will start getting calls.  Harden called out the refs about how they are not calling fouls when the offensive guys force the contact. Harden going into today's game had only been to the line 15 times.  Tonight he went to the line 19 times and the Nets shot 41 as a team.

I just have to shake my head at refs and players anymore. Durant is such a tool, saying he thought he was in the gym by himself and in a pickup game not an NBA game. So i guess all those screaming fans were just voices in his head. He is close to being on the level of Irving with being a douche.

Crew chief Sean Wright told a pool reporter after the game that in real time, the official who made the call didn't think the ball entered the stands with force.

"After seeing the video postgame, we did see that the ball did go into the stands with force," Wright said. "And Kevin Durant should've been ejected."

Durant said he was trying to hit the backboard and shouldn't have even done that.

"I don't know, man, I thought I was at the gym by myself and in a pickup game, not an NBA game," Durant said of his lapse. "And I can't do that. I could have cost my team the game. But it won't happen again -- I hope so."

@BGleas been hearing a lot of former Celtics (maxwell etc) really ragging on this current Celtic team about not being tough physically and mentally. (Kinda goes back to not putting up a stand to Kyrie when he disrespected the Celtics but even lately just smiling & joking with opponents while losing) Wondering what your take is. Obviously Tatum and Brown are super talented but I wonder if it is just too much success too fast or not being hungry (see Devin Booker in Phoenix who had to struggle for attention and relevance) or if it’s just not having the right mix of players or veterans and the AAU culture or what but I do see their point. 

Also I’m sure Tatum will have a bounce back game but man looked at some of his games over the years….dang that kid can go cold some games…and I mean freezing but he keeps chucking it…wonder if he will learn when he doesn’t have it that he can still effect the game in positive ways other than shooting…specifically not settling for jumpers. Any thoughts??

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 1

@BGleas been hearing a lot of former Celtics (maxwell etc) really ragging on this current Celtic team about not being tough physically and mentally. (Kinda goes back to not putting up a stand to Kyrie when he disrespected the Celtics but even lately just smiling & joking with opponents while losing) Wondering what your take is. Obviously Tatum and Brown are super talented but I wonder if it is just too much success too fast or not being hungry (see Devin Booker in Phoenix who had to struggle for attention and relevance) or if it’s just not having the right mix of players or veterans and the AAU culture or what but I do see their point. 

Also I’m sure Tatum will have a bounce back game but man looked at some of his games over the years….dang that kid can go cold some games…and I mean freezing but he keeps chucking it…wonder if he will learn when he doesn’t have it that he can still effect the game in positive ways other than shooting…specifically not settling for jumpers. Any thoughts??

A lot to dig into with the Celtics, so I'll just touch on a few things. 

1) Brad Stevens is a great coach, and it was a complete joke that the fans and some media were scapegoating him last year. The problem was the roster, injuries and covid, not the coach. 

2) Not having a point guard is really hurting them. Marcus Smart is not a point guard, he's a combo guard. 

3) I think the roster this year is more experienced and deeper, just the point situation is a mess. 

4) Tatum's big flaw right now is not getting to the foul line enough. He's an excellent free throw shooter, but when his jumper is working he doesn't adjust and get into the paint. He's great at getting to the basket but settles too much. All things that can be learned/fixed. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, BGleas said:

A lot to dig into with the Celtics, so I'll just touch on a few things. 

1) Brad Stevens is a great coach, and it was a complete joke that the fans and some media were scapegoating him last year. The problem was the roster, injuries and covid, not the coach. 

2) Not having a point guard is really hurting them. Marcus Smart is not a point guard, he's a combo guard. 

3) I think the roster this year is more experienced and deeper, just the point situation is a mess. 

4) Tatum's big flaw right now is not getting to the foul line enough. He's an excellent free throw shooter, but when his jumper is working he doesn't adjust and get into the paint. He's great at getting to the basket but settles too much. All things that can be learned/fixed. 

But what about the knock on being soft…you buying that…or is that just old man talk by the old guard??

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, dgambill said:

But what about the knock on being soft…you buying that…or is that just old man talk by the old guard??

I don't know that I'd say soft. I think that's a lazy way avoiding real analysis that the roster is still a bit flawed, especially at the point guard spot. 

You mentioned Devin Booker, well what would this Celtics team look like with Chris Paul as the point guard/leader. All of the sudden the "soft" moniker goes away, right?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

I don't know that I'd say soft. I think that's a lazy way avoiding real analysis that the roster is still a bit flawed, especially at the point guard spot. 

You mentioned Devin Booker, well what would this Celtics team look like with Chris Paul as the point guard/leader. All of the sudden the "soft" moniker goes away, right?

No doubt. I think the worst thing that ever happened to them was landing Kyrie. He just sort of rubbed off on these young guys. Kemba came in too late in his career…and was hurt and couldn’t really lead and honestly hadn’t won either. They need that Kyle Lowry type….no doubt I thought Paul was the move they should have made a couple years ago.

It isn’t soft so much as they just don’t mind losing. Like it doesn’t hurt….they don’t take it personal I think was what the old guard was getting at…but yeah also they just don’t have enough push back either. I know Paul made a difference but towards the end of the year Booker had taken that same attitude. Why hasn’t the organization brought in that leader…they lost it when Horford, Thomas, and Okynk left. Doesn’t just have to be a pg but no doubt they need one because they need someone to put Tatum in the right position or make sure it gets to Brown instead. Are you happy with both Tatum and Brown together…beginning to think I might want to move one but Browns health has worried me and Tatums mentality has as well. 

13 minutes ago, slojoe said:

Did IU dodge a bullet with Brad?  Celts hapless even with lots of talent.

It's too early to tell.  Brad went to NC final twice, but CMW hasn't coached even one regular season game, yet. 

Not at all. First, Stevens isn't the Celtics coach anymore, so their bad start from a coaching perspective isn't on him. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad Stevens is still with the Celtics front office and I'm glad Woodson is with IU, but Stevens is still one of the best coaches in basketball. 

He was great with the Celtics, and the fans/media blaming him for last season was ridiculous. Ainge built a top heavy roster, then the team was decimated by Covid and injuries. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Not at all. First, Stevens isn't the Celtics coach anymore, so their bad start from a coaching perspective isn't on him. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad Stevens is still with the Celtics front office and I'm glad Woodson is with IU, but Stevens is still one of the best coaches in basketball. 

He was great with the Celtics, and the fans/media blaming him for last season was ridiculous. Ainge built a top heavy roster, then the team was decimated by Covid and injuries. 

Celts had lots of draft picks, good players, etc. and Stevens couldn't even get to the championship game let alone win the NBA crown.  He finally lost the team as a coach, and he wound up upstairs.  We'll see if he is more successful upstairs than he was as an NBA coach.

16 minutes ago, slojoe said:

Celts had lots of draft picks, good players, etc. and Stevens couldn't even get to the championship game let alone win the NBA crown.  He finally lost the team as a coach, and he wound up upstairs.  We'll see if he is more successful upstairs than he was as an NBA coach.

You're really misrepresenting Stevens tenure. At no point during Stevens tenure were the Celtics ever considered a favorite to win the title or THE favorite to win the East. 

He took a team with a rookie Jayson Tatum (with both Kyrie and Hayward injured) as it's best player to Game 7 of the ECF against LeBron. 

He took another team with freaking Isiah Thomas as it's best player to the ECF. Isiah Thomas who was drafted last and is like 5'8" and Stevens turned him into an MVP candidate. 

Good draft picks don't win in the NBA, stars and veterans win. 

Brad Stevens was great as the Celtics coach. Last years team was top heavy with Tatum, Brown, Kemba and Smart, all who missed time with injuries and/or Covid, then a bunch of rookie year deal guys. Their bench was young kids. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, BGleas said:

You're really misrepresenting Stevens tenure. At no point during Stevens tenure were the Celtics ever considered a favorite to win the title or THE favorite to win the East. 

He took a team with a rookie Jayson Tatum (with both Kyrie and Hayward injured) as it's best player to Game 7 of the ECF against LeBron. 

He took another team with freaking Isiah Thomas as it's best player to the ECF. Isiah Thomas who was drafted last and is like 5'8" and Stevens turned him into an MVP candidate. 

Good draft picks don't win in the NBA, stars and veterans win. 

Brad Stevens was great as the Celtics coach. Last years team was top heavy with Tatum, Brown, Kemba and Smart, all who missed time with injuries and/or Covid, then a bunch of rookie year deal guys. Their bench was young kids. 

To shift away from Brad Stevens the HC.  I am curious to see what Brad Stevens the GM is gonna do.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, rico said:

To shift away from Brad Stevens the HC.  I am curious to see what Brad Stevens the GM is gonna do.

I like what he has done so far. This was always going to be a transition season, so while the 2-5 start is not good, the roster was always going to be in flux this year. 

He was able to add veteran depth (Horford, Schroeder, Richardson) on relatively team-friendly contracts, he resigned Smart to a fair deal and got Robert Williams resigned to a fair deal as well. 

He also lined up a bunch of contracts to come off the books after next season, so the Celtics have flexibility to trade for a 3rd star. 

The pains will be this season as the PG situation is a mess, but Stevens did some good work last summer to clean up some messes. 

Honestly, his biggest mistake to this point seems to be firing himself as coach. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1