NBA Thread

A couple Celtics notes, they're 2-5 so far on the season, but are already 0-3 in OT games. So while not a great stat, you could easily call those "toss up" games. Flip just two of those and they're 4-3 and things aren't quite so bad. 

Another one, the Celtics are outscoring opponents by 9.3 points per 100 possessions when Tatum and Brown are both in the game. Their Net Rating is a crazy -22.2 when Brown is on the bench. 

Those two paragraphs tell me at least some of the story is having a young coach that is still trying to figure out lineups and being in control of situational basketball. 

It also says we have a team with several new guys and there is a meshing period going on. 

Finally, as has been mentioned, really bad point guard play. 

11 minutes ago, BGleas said:

A couple Celtics notes, they're 2-5 so far on the season, but are already 0-3 in OT games. So while not a great stat, you could easily call those "toss up" games. Flip just two of those and they're 4-3 and things aren't quite so bad. 

Another one, the Celtics are outscoring opponents by 9.3 points per 100 possessions when Tatum and Brown are both in the game. Their Net Rating is a crazy -22.2 when Brown is on the bench. 

Those two paragraphs tell me at least some of the story is having a young coach that is still trying to figure out lineups and being in control of situational basketball. 

It also says we have a team with several new guys and there is a meshing period going on. 

Finally, as has been mentioned, really bad point guard play. 

Soooooo, you are penciling them in for the ECF?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, rico said:

To shift away from Brad Stevens the HC.  I am curious to see what Brad Stevens the GM is gonna do.

Gotta think trading Smart will be the priority this season/offseason....if they are out of it moving Schroder to a contender for a young piece/pick will also be considered. Smart seems pretty unhappy.

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/boston-celtics

“I would just like to play basketball,” Smart said. “Every team knows we are trying to go to Jayson and Jaylen and every team is programmed and studies to stop Jayson and Jaylen. I think everybody’s scouting report is to make those guys try to pass the ball. They don’t want to pass the ball and that’s something that they’re going to learn.”

“There’s only so much I can do without the ball in my hands, I’m just standing in the corner, Smart said, per Robb. “We’re running plays for our best players, every team knows that. 

Sounds like he got the Romeo role the other night lol....🤣

Like @BGleas said they need a point guard desperately....a strong leader or veteran imo. Lowry/Paul type. Not sure there is a guy that will be available like that so might have to look for another vocal veteran that can run things. I could see perhaps a trade next offseason trying to bring in a guy like Brogdon in maybe a Smart package deal....a vocal locker room guy but one who can play off ball and shoot to help their spacing. Maybe Portland will move on from Mccollum who also could be that vet although not perfect pg could handle the ball some as well. Anyways, yes Stevens will have work to do....great pgs don't just fall off trees.

Edited by dgambill

3 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Gotta think trading Smart will be the priority this season/offseason....if they are out of it moving Schroder to a contender for a young piece/pick will also be considered. Smart seems pretty unhappy.

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/boston-celtics

“I would just like to play basketball,” Smart said. “Every team knows we are trying to go to Jayson and Jaylen and every team is programmed and studies to stop Jayson and Jaylen. I think everybody’s scouting report is to make those guys try to pass the ball. They don’t want to pass the ball and that’s something that they’re going to learn.”

“There’s only so much I can do without the ball in my hands, I’m just standing in the corner, Smart said, per Robb. “We’re running plays for our best players, every team knows that. 

Sounds like he got the Romeo role the other night lol....🤣

Like @BGleas said they need a point guard desperately....a strong leader or veteran imo. Lowry/Paul type. Not sure there is a guy that will be available like that so might have to look for another vocal veteran that can run things. I could see perhaps a trade next offseason trying to bring in a guy like Brogdon in maybe a Smart package deal....a vocal locker room guy but one who can play off ball and shoot to help their spacing. Anyways, yes Stevens will have work to do....great pgs don't just fall off trees.

I would ship his arsz out of Beantown tomorrow...

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, rico said:

I would ship his arsz out of Beantown tomorrow...

I know our friend @BGleas has more connections and is in touch more to the Celtics but I still stand by my opinion that this team has an attitude problem. It started when they shipped out guys like Crowder, Olynk, IT, and Horford and some other vets....I know they had to but it only got made worse when they brought in a guy like Kyrie to be the leader....and the identity just totally changed and those guys were at very developmental stage in their career and somehow took on some of his identity imo. Perhaps even Stevens wasn't a powerful enough voice to fix it as well given his demeanor so he decided he needed to move upstairs...not sure about that last part. Anyways...not sure there is an easy fix even with an upgrade at point guard....might even involve moving a star.

Edited by dgambill

33 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I know our friend @BGleas has more connections and is in touch more to the Celtics but I still stand by my opinion that this team has an attitude problem. It started when they shipped out guys like Crowder, Olynk, IT, and Horford and some other vets....I know they had to but it only got made worse when they brought in a guy like Kyrie to be the leader....and the identity just totally changed and those guys were at very developmental stage in their career and somehow took on some of his identity imo. Perhaps even Stevens wasn't a powerful enough voice to fix it as well given his demeanor so he decided he needed to move upstairs...not sure about that last part. Anyways...not sure there is an easy fix even with an upgrade at point guard....might even involve moving a star.

One bad apple can spoil an entire team.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rico said:

The Pacers winning streak continues...

Turner with 7 3s which is a career high. I'm not sure how many 3s they shot a game last season, but they seem to be shooting quite a few so far this year, 122 over the last three games. 😑

I guess the NBA is what it is anymore lol. 🤷‍♂️

2 hours ago, Hoosier51 said:

Turner with 7 3s which is a career high. I'm not sure how many 3s they shot a game last season, but they seem to be shooting quite a few so far this year, 122 over the last three games. 😑

I guess the NBA is what it is anymore lol. 🤷‍♂️

Not sure you can count on Turner for 20 pts a night on 3s but we’ll see. It’s not a great 3pt shooting team so it seems a dangerous way to live…expect to lose more than win doing that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

Not sure you can count on Turner for 20 pts a night on 3s but we’ll see. It’s not a great 3pt shooting team so it seems a dangerous way to live…expect to lose more than win doing that.

Yeah it is to bad that Turner isn't more consistant, he has shown at times he has the ability to be a very good player but he just doesn't sustain it.

Edited by Hoosier51
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, NotIThatLives said:

If and when Warren comes back, does he make this a balanced team with more outside threat?  

I know the defense still has no identity or toughness but the scoring should be there.  When have we seen this team totally healthy?

I think he should help them become more balanced. It is a shame the injuries last year and this season so far has derailed the Pacers some.

On 11/2/2021 at 12:08 PM, BGleas said:

Haha no, I'd say borderline playoff team. Somewhere between 7-11 in the conference, unless they make some moves. 

C’s looked solid defensively tn, and pounding a good Miami team. Romeo now 10-20 and 5-10 from deep over 5 and playing 27 min— maybe the hand injuries finally behind him? Had a strong summer, seems to be carrying it over well. hope so.
I’m not putting a fork in your C’s, i’d bet on their finding their stride if they’ve moved past the chemistry - tell the two young dogs to look to others and pass more thing (which, imo, was totally fair, though publicly not so great). 
Side note Gleas, OG is really starting to show… 😁

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

C’s looked solid defensively tn, and pounding a good Miami team. Romeo now 10-20 and 5-10 from deep over 5 and playing 27 min— maybe the hand injuries finally behind him? Had a strong summer, seems to be carrying it over well. hope so.
I’m not putting a fork in your C’s, i’d bet on their finding their stride if they’ve moved past the chemistry - tell the two young dogs to look to others and pass more thing (which, imo, was totally fair, though publicly not so great). 
Side note Gleas, OG is really starting to show… 😁

So glad to see you posting, HH! 

The Celtics have looked really good since their team meeting before the Orlando game Wednesday. The real difference has been defense. They completely shut down Orlando and Miami the last two nights. 

They have the ability to be an excellent defensive team, and if they hang their hat on that, then they can turn this around. 

Love seeing Langford coming along. He's definitely worked on his shot and it's so fun to see him hitting 3's consistently. I still think at this point his ceiling is rotation bench player/spot starter, but I'm very excited to see him solidifying his place in the league. 

OG has looked great, but he's still no Jaylen Brown! 🤣🤣

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, BGleas said:

So glad to see you posting, HH! 

The Celtics have looked really good since their team meeting before the Orlando game Wednesday. The real difference has been defense. They completely shut down Orlando and Miami the last two nights. 

They have the ability to be an excellent defensive team, and if they hang their hat on that, then they can turn this around. 

Love seeing Langford coming along. He's definitely worked on his shot and it's so fun to see him hitting 3's consistently. I still think at this point his ceiling is rotation bench player/spot starter, but I'm very excited to see him solidifying his place in the league. 

OG has looked great, but he's still no Jaylen Brown! 🤣🤣

OG has looked great....and no he is still a step behind Brown in his development for sure...kind of a year behind...but making wonderful strides. The issue is when Pascal comes back how that effects him. Kid can be an all-star I think given the right role and chance to flourish. I just hate the Pacers for not taking him. He is exactly the type of player they need on this team. Wonderful defender...perfect 3/D but now he is even rounding out the rest of his game. Leaf.....😡 Honestly, I hope he or Pascal get moved.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I remember hearing one of the biggest reasons for Chauncey Billups getting hired was his ability to relate to today's players.  I watched part of a game the other day and the camera caught a close up of Chauncey saying to 1 player, what the Fuck was that MFER  thinking. Found it kind of funny. 

I'm not sure he will fit there. Something about ex star players that can't relate to avg players and why they don't just see things like they did or do thing that way...and players that were known for hustle/hard work/defensive effort....I just don't see how he will be able to relate to most guys who abor defense and only worry about how many shots they will get up s o they can increase their next contract.

• Like 1

Pacers down 40-28 in the second quarter.  They are 11-29 from the field, 5-19 from 3 and 6-10 from 2.  I still need to explain toe how this kind of basketball is supposed to be the most efficient and best way to play.  Sabonis came in only hitting 2 of his last 20 3's yet he shot 3 in tn first quarter missing all of them.

As for Brogdon he just came back to play one game after missing 4 but is missing the game tonight.  He missed those game because of a sore hamstring????. And tonight to non covid illness.  This was the reason I wanted to trad him and was against the extension because he is not reliable.  He is softer than Charmin.  Last night I was listening to the Colts network and their side line reporter reported that Taylor was on the sideline throwing up.  The next possession he was back in the game.

• Like 1