NBA Thread

26 minutes ago, Hoosier51 said:

I think you might be wrong on that, i see both Turner and Sabonis gone by the trade deadline.

I don’t like Pritchards most recent comments on Turner. I get he’s not going to publicly say they are on the block but it still didn’t sound great in terms of making trades imo. 

7434C424-BD1F-4BC6-BBC1-E030B6A84691.jpeg

Edited by DC2345
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

I don’t like Pritchards most recent comments on Turner. I get he’s not going to publicly say they are on the block but it still didn’t sound great in terms of making trades imo. 

7434C424-BD1F-4BC6-BBC1-E030B6A84691.jpeg

That makes it look like to me he will be traded. Almost like they are already thinking past him with those last two sentences.

24 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

I hope they do. I just don’t have much confidence in them to actually improve the team. 

I mean we don't have to go all Sixers/OKC the process rebuild. I look at teams like Cleveland, Atlanta, and Charlotte who have drafted and acquired some nice young players and supplemented them later with some savy free agency/trade moves for solid vets later. Really would like to see us acquire a ton of young assets and sort through and see if we can find a future all star and some starting caliber players to go along with the young guys we have like Duarte and Jackson to go forward with. If that is guys like Kuminga or Bouknight or Fultz or whatever type of young piece you want to to put in and take a flyer on I'm for it....add in some draft capital and see where things land...maybe you find a nice young star in that bunch and then you can add back in veterans in free agency later.

I also look at guys like Holiday, Warren, and Lamb and think they can be used on young pieces too....or 2nd rd picks....just start rolling the dice...you get enough shots at the draft etc you are going to hit on something.

• Like 1

Saw JO' Neal at the Texas volleyball game.  He was standing near the entrance as we walked in.  He must have been only 3 feet away.  I told him Go Pacers and thanks for all those fun Pacer years.  He just nodded. Texas survived quite the scare from Washington losing the first 2 sets and being down 15-10 in the 3rd set then just took over and dominated after that.  Volleyball is quite the value for the Buck.  I got the entire Regional (semis and final) for $20.  Probably my favorite college sport after basketball. It helps to live in Austin and to have quite the team year in and out.  Maybe I can dig up a Pacer jersey for Saturday night's final in case the same scenario occurs.    

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, ATX_sig said:

Saw JO' Neal at the Texas volleyball game.  He was standing near the entrance as we walked in.  He must have been only 3 feet away.  I told him Go Pacers and thanks for all those fun Pacer years.  He just nodded. Texas survived quite the scare from Washington losing the first 2 sets and being down 15-10 in the 3rd set then just took over and dominated after that.  Volleyball is quite the value for the Buck.  I got the entire Regional (semis and final) for $20.  Probably my favorite college sport after basketball. It helps to live in Austin and to have quite the team year in and out.  Maybe I can dig up a Pacer jersey for Saturday night's final in case the same scenario occurs.    

College volleyball is awesome. A couple years ago we took the family to a PSU football game. During the game they kept promoting that PSU women's volleyball (they were ranked in the top 10) was having a match against another top 25 team (might have been Wisconsin, can't remember) later that evening and that everyone with a football ticket stub would get in free. 

My daughters both play volleyball so they begged us to extend the trip and go to the volleyball game before heading him. It was in a sort of auxiliary gym (not the main basketball arena) and it was electric. We had so much fun. We were so close to the action and the place was loud and packed. 

It's a great sport and a great experience. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ATX_sig said:

Is his daughter on the team? I know he didn't go to college right?

39 minutes ago, BGleas said:

College volleyball is awesome. A couple years ago we took the family to a PSU football game. During the game they kept promoting that PSU women's volleyball (they were ranked in the top 10) was having a match against another top 25 team (might have been Wisconsin, can't remember) later that evening and that everyone with a football ticket stub would get in free. 

My daughters both play volleyball so they begged us to extend the trip and go to the volleyball game before heading him. It was in a sort of auxiliary gym (not the main basketball arena) and it was electric. We had so much fun. We were so close to the action and the place was loud and packed. 

It's a great sport and a great experience. 

It is. It's very fast paced and high energy....even high school for the most part if they aren't totally inept. I remember our football team in HS would cheer at all the girls games....we got right down in the front row near the service line....like a mosh pit of testosterone screaming etc. Now days we probably get kicked out for harrassment lol. B1G is a pretty good league for volleyball...think we have like 6 teams in the top 15....and yes Purdue is one of them.

• Like 1

Asjia O'neal is awesome.  She had open heart surgery 2 times and the latest just before COVID hit in 2020. She was back on the court 8 months later was a star in the tournament last spring.  Seems like she has been here forever but is still just a soph.  

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/32697350/the-extraordinary-courage-ncaa-volleyball-star-asjia-oneal 

• Like 1

On 12/9/2021 at 5:29 PM, Hoosier51 said:

I think you might be wrong on that, i see both Turner and Sabonis gone by the trade deadline.

yeah just their value has tanked over last season on sportsbetting3.com. At least Sabonis still has a year longer on his deal which is ok value wise.

Edited by ReeJo9
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Sabonis is playing his best ball ever and at this rate a lock all star.  Not sure there is any scenario his value has tanked from last year.

having that contract is amazing and shame there is only 2 years left after this, but in terms of selling off players and tanking his value is has absolutely dropped

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, NotIThatLives said:

Sabonis is playing his best ball ever and at this rate a lock all star.  Not sure there is any scenario his value has tanked from last year.

Well his assists and points have dropped off pretty significantly from last year. Tanked would be harsh. I don't think Turner's has either. He is playing better this year. I'd say when people start seeing players get unhappy/voicing displeasure and trade rumors are swirling...the perception is their value has gone down. Pacer's aren't in any hurry to move these guys...they aren't playing for anything and have them locked up multiple years...so they will deal from a place of strength imo.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Well his assists and points have dropped off pretty significantly from last year. Tanked would be harsh. I don't think Turner's has either. He is playing better this year. I'd say when people start seeing players get unhappy/voicing displeasure and trade rumors are swirling...the perception is their value has gone down. Pacer's aren't in any hurry to move these guys...they aren't playing for anything and have them locked up multiple years...so they will deal from a place of strength imo.

I can see what you are saying but the longer they wait the worse package they could get and if the plan is to rebuild then they need to go all in on that and not dilly dally and lose value.

Perception has tanks their value, yes, more so than talent or anything in Sabonis Levert case

2 hours ago, ReeJo9 said:

I can see what you are saying but the longer they wait the worse package they could get and if the plan is to rebuild then they need to go all in on that and not dilly dally and lose value.

Perception has tanks their value, yes, more so than talent or anything in Sabonis Levert case

Perception among fans has little value on the players perception among league front offices. If their play was totally tanking then sure it might be time to make a move....but they have plenty of time to move these guys. All next offseason as well. A lot of NBA team are still jockeying for position and trying to figure out if they are buyers or sellers at this point. Myles Turner and Sabonis are very much proven/given commodities. Teams know who they are and what they are getting. Sabonis is a borderline all-star and Turner is the protypical stretch 5 who can defend the rim. I doubt their value has changed much at all if not Turners gone up some with how well he has shot the ball this year.

• Like 4

We were talking about the Pacers attendance woes. Obviously we don't have star power nor winning to draw our own fans in....but it doesn't help when GS decides to sit their stars with Curry and Green out recently. Imagine you're a kid and this is the one time a year you get to see them play....and they sit. They usually charge more for those marquee match ups and that has to be dissappointing. 

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 1

Tidbit on Zion Williamson...  

"What’s more, his mother is reportedly his dietician as well. NBA fans have been pointing out that this isn’t really ideal for Zion, given how his mother may let her instincts influence his diet plans."

😮 

My Mom was a phenomenal cook, and I loved her dearly, but Aunt Bea of "The Andy Griffith Show" would  have been a better choice as dietician if I had been a professional athlete than my Mom...

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Steph is now the All-Time Leader in three pointers. 

Steph really is unbelievable. I heard a stat that when he retires, assuming a normal decline, etc., he should he around 5,000 made 3's for his career. 

For someone to break his record they would need to make 300+ 3's per season for 17 straight years. 

The list have players that have made 300+ 3's in any season is:

Steph

James Harden

That's the list. 

He is unquestionably the greatest shooter ever. He's changed the way basketball is played more than anyone in the last several decades. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Steph really is unbelievable. I heard a stat that when he retires, assuming a normal decline, etc., he should he around 5,000 made 3's for his career. 

For someone to break his record they would need to make 300+ 3's per season for 17 straight years. 

The list have players that have made 300+ 3's in any season is:

Steph

James Harden

That's the list. 

He is unquestionably the greatest shooter ever. He's changed the way basketball is played more than anyone in the last several decades. 

To conceptualize how many threes that is, it's almost one made three pointer per quarter for 17 straight seasons.... without missing a game. 

• Like 3