NBA Thread

Pacers lose in OT to Boston 101-98.  Pacers are now 1-13 in games decided by 3 points or less.  They have played 16 games decided by 5 points or less or OT. Pacers lead 89-85 with 40 seconds to go in regulation. Sabonis triple double 11-23-10. Pacers was without Brogdon, Lavert, Duarte, ,Warren, McConnell and 3 others

Edited by IU Scott
  • Like 1

I am still trying to understand how shooting a lot of 3's is the most efficient offense especially if you can't hit 3's.  Tonight the Pacers are 27-40 from 2 but only 4-26 from 3.  The Pacers in the last month has shot 30 percent from 3 so it looks like the Pacers would be better shooting more 2's

23 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I am still trying to understand how shooting a lot of 3's is the most efficient offense especially if you can't hit 3's.  Tonight the Pacers are 27-40 from 2 but only 4-26 from 3.  The Pacers in the last month has shot 30 percent from 3 so it looks like the Pacers would be better shooting more 2's

Your math is not wrong.  30% from 3 = 45% from 2.

11 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Problem is Pacers don't have guards that can shoot the 3 (Brogdon isn't back 100%). The WRONG guys are shooting those 3's. Sabonis 0-2, Turner 0-5, Bitadze 0-1....wth maybe Turner shooting a couple but these guys need to get in the paint some more....Stephenson is terrible and only here to sell some tickets was 0-4 from 3pt and 3-11 in the game....Brissett 1-4 ....those are just terrible shooters settling for way too many deep jumpers. I have no problem with shooting 30 3's...just need the right dudes shooting those. You won't get those easy open 2's without stretching the floor and forcing defenses to get out of the lane and chase. Also...I'm not sure when you posted this but they ended up 7-36 from 3 last night....that's basically 20%...that is Archie Miller level shooting....you won't beat anyone like that. Pacers simply lack athleticism on the wings and shot makers. Healthy Warren and Brogdon would help with the shot making but they are still way way too unathletic in taking people off the dribble/getting to the rim/ and playmaking.....and the reverse is they can't keep anyone in front of them on defense because of that.

Edited by dgambill

Pacers lose again to the Sun's and now are 15-28.  Once again Brogdon is out, after missing 9 games he came back last game.  He lasted a half and now missed tonight's game. Said it was a mistake to give him the extension and it is playing out like I thought it would. It is time to totally blow up the team and start over but can't trade Brogdon until the off season. First they need to fire Pritchard because for tbe most part his drafts has been terrible. They need to Trade Turner and Lavert because either one fits Rick Carlisle system.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Pacers lose again to the Sun's and now are 15-28.  Once again Brogdon is out, after missing 9 games he came back last game.  He lasted a half and now missed tonight's game. Said it was a mistake to give him the extension and it is playing out like I thought it would. It is time to totally blow up the team and start over but can't trade Brogdon until the off season. First they need to fire Pritchard because for tbe most part his drafts has been terrible. They need to Trade Turner and Lavert because either one fits Rick Carlisle system.

Agree. Brogdon needs to go. 

• Like 2

On 1/15/2022 at 10:29 AM, Stlboiler23 said:

Agree. Brogdon needs to go. 

The whole team outside of Duarte and Jackson need to go. Just a complete rebuild. Don’t have to just all be draft picks or rookies but some combo. Also we need to build towards having an identity. Look at Memphis..that team is a physical, hard playing, great defense team. Lots of young hungry guys. No excuse we can’t do the same. We just acquired the best players we could with no plan on how they would play together.

On 1/15/2022 at 10:41 AM, Stlboiler23 said:

You know what would be a very Pacer thing to do? Be bad enough this year to actually get a legit lottery pick and then end up drafting a Darco Milicic lol. 

Since we want to rebuild on the go we probably will trade our draft pick for a player. At this point the season is lost…you want to move all your pieces so while I don’t go into a season trying to tank there is no reason to try to bring back injured guys and now is the time to take best offers for our starters and not go out of our way to grind out wins. 

14 hours ago, dgambill said:

The whole team outside of Duarte and Jackson need to go. Just a complete rebuild. Don’t have to just all be draft picks or rookies but some combo. Also we need to build towards having an identity. Look at Memphis..that team is a physical, hard playing, great defense team. Lots of young hungry guys. No excuse we can’t do the same. We just acquired the best players we could with no plan on how they would play together.

Yeah, I really like Memphis' future.  They are a fun team to watch now.  

Desmond Bane would have looked good in an IU uniform.  Every time I see him, it's hard not to be reminded of that.

Anyway, I like fresh, younger teams, and I especially like spreading the wealth where a new franchise is a legit contender.  Good for Memphis.

12 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Yeah, I really like Memphis' future.  They are a fun team to watch now.  

Desmond Bane would have looked good in an IU uniform.  Every time I see him, it's hard not to be reminded of that.

Anyway, I like fresh, younger teams, and I especially like spreading the wealth where a new franchise is a legit contender.  Good for Memphis.

Couldn't have hurt to take a flyer on Bane. If I remember he scored a lot in high school and had a body built for the Big10. Brought in Gelon instead, along with Devonte Green and Curtis Jones in 2016. Oh well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

So glad the Pacers traded Myles Turner while his stock was high after a good start to the season. I would have hated to see him get another injury that would make him untradeable before the trade deadline! s/c

Next man up...to be traded, that is.

Pacers need to try and make a Fox for Sabots move happen. 

Trade Turner to a contender for something. Someone will have use for a guy that blocks shots and spreads the floor. 

Trade Brogdon to a contender.

Really... closeout sale, everything must go IMO. We have so many pieces to move that I think could help a team in a playoff push, we should really be able to tear this thing down for value and short cycle a rebuild. 

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

Trade Turner to a contender for something. Someone will have use for a guy that blocks shots and spreads the floor. 

Really... closeout sale, everything must go IMO. We have so many pieces to move that I think could help a team in a playoff push, we should really be able to tear this thing down for value and short cycle a rebuild. 

Brogdon can't be traded for a while because of the extension he signed, I think it's summer at the earliest.  

Need some baller guards but everyone wants them and no one wants our bigs for equal value.  

Sabonis may work like a Draymond if they could add a true consistent wing threat and the rest of these broken pieces all stay healthy for longer than 3-6 games.  

4 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Can't trade Brogdon until the off season due to just signing an extension

On 1/20/2022 at 8:34 AM, KoB2011 said:

My preference would be this. Sabonis for Haliburton and Bagley plus first rd pick. First off I don't want to pay Fox's ENORMOUS contract....not for a guy that can't shoot 3's...we have too much of that already. Haliburton can shoot better and defend better. Plus we get a look at Bagley and maybe we figure a way to make him work and get him on a cheap deal coming back....if not he helps our cap as he is expiring. Finally a pick because we all don't trust Kings to make it work no matter what they do. I want a draft pick...protected or not!

Now...then I try to work out a deal to move Levert plus Lamb to Cleveland for Sexton and Rubio and protected first. If you can work out an extension for Sexton and let Rubio come off our books we save even more cap space. 

Finally you can move Turner to Charlotte for Bouknight, Washigton, and Plumlee ($$filler). This would really transform the team going into next year with a lot of young, and importantly, athletic talent. Put some athleticism on the floor with Brogdon/Warren if we bring them back or at least get's us vastly restarted on the rebuild.

Backcourt of Haliburton/Sexton/Brogdon with Duarte/Bouknight/ McConnell coming off the bench. (can play Brogdon at the 3 on defense)

Frontcourt would start Bitadze/Plumlee next to Warren/Washington/Jackson....and depending on what happens in the draft you can target best player available in the likely 4-10 range whomever lands there or maybe package some of those picks to move up into the top 3 to land our next star player (Jabari Smith/Holmgren/Banchero). And honestly...I know we want to win right now but if you have a vision for molding young talent....just like Cleveland and Atlanta last year...you can get good fast! 

• Like 1