NBA Thread

Pre Season predicted standings                                                     Current Standings                      +/-

Rockets    2nd in west                                                                             1st                                           +1

Trailblazers   8th west                                                                              3rd                                          +5

Celtics      2nd in East                                                                              2nd                                           E

Raptors    3rd in East                                                                                1st                                           +2

Pacers     12 in East                                                                                  5th                                            +7

Maybe I am a homer but I don't see much evidence that any of these coaches are over achieving like MacMillian

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

I think he should be. All the teams you named have notable all stars and were expected near the top of their divisions. The rockets are Warriors lite. Celtics loss Hayward but still a solid playoff team without him. Not 1 of those teams are more than +5 over their expected win prediction and the Pacers are almost +20. I know he has no chance but with a team with 1 all star that people joked about after the trade and to be .5 games out of 3rd is remarkable.

Hey you're entitled to your opinion, I'm just replying how the NBA looks at it. He's not getting COY

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Hey you're entitled to your opinion, I'm just replying how the NBA looks at it. He's not getting COY

I understand how it works and also know he's not getting it. My point is he should be even though he isn't getting serious consideration. 

Edited by Billingsley99
  • Like 1

Just now, Billingsley99 said:

I understand how it works and also know he's not getting it. My point is he should be even thought he isn't getting serious consideration. 

Hey that's fair - not implying otherwise. I've personally never liked how the League generally gives COY to the coach of the team with the best record -- Kerr getting COY, for example, after inheriting Mark Jackson's built team, and ignoring what several other coaches did (who overachieved etc.) rubs me wrong, but it is what it is. I'm not sure to what an extent the P's overachieving is his coaching or just the dynamic play of Vic (they generally lose when Vic isn't playing) and to an extent the others, but no doubt the P's have significantly beaten the projections (and yep including yours truly).

You certainly can make a case that exceeding your record should get you COY, but you also can make a case it is more difficult to meet high expectations than exceed low expectations. 

To put it in a business sense, is it a bigger deal to have a quota of $500k and sell $750k or to have a quota of $1.2M and sell 1.3M? 

Just now, Hoosierhoopster said:

See above, I don't necessarily disagree. I would look at a number of factors, but just ending up with the best record is a lame way to award COY, but it's usually how it works.

You are correct.  I not sure he does deserve it either but... We could also make a great argument the Vic is the MVP maybe not league but without doubt he and LeBron are the most important to their respective teams.

5 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

See above, I don't necessarily disagree. I would look at a number of factors, but just ending up with the best record is a lame way to award COY, but it's usually how it works.

Sometimes it works the other way as well because Phil Jackson rarely won the award and in football Bill Bielcheck doesn't win all the time.

27 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

You certainly can make a case that exceeding your record should get you COY, but you also can make a case it is more difficult to meet high expectations than exceed low expectations. 

To put it in a business sense, is it a bigger deal to have a quota of $500k and sell $750k or to have a quota of $1.2M and sell 1.3M? 

Yes that's a good point. Then there are teams like the Spurs -- missing Kawhi -- now in 4th in the West. To me, that is at least as compelling, and they just trounced the Rockets. There are lots of factors I think arguably could be part of the equation -- strength of schedule, win/loss, expectations, injuries to stars/key players, margin of victory, etc. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

I think he should be. All the teams you named have notable all stars and were expected near the top of their divisions. The rockets are Warriors lite. Celtics loss Hayward but still a solid playoff team without him. Not 1 of those teams are more than +5 over their expected win prediction and the Pacers are almost +20. I know he has no chance but with a team with 1 all star that people joked about after the trade and to be .5 games out of 3rd is remarkable.

McMillian should definitely be in the conversation. I’ll be a homer too though, in the case for Stevens/the Celtics, it’s not just Hayward they’ve played without. Daniel Thies and Marcus Smart have been out for weeks. Kyrie is out for weeks. Horford has missed considerable time, as has Marcus Morris. 

They just went 4-0 on a West Coast trip playing without 6 of their top 9. It’s really incredible that Stevens has them #2 in the East with still a chance to get the #1 seed, and that’s all with only 4 guys back from last years team. 

9 hours ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Watched a little of the G league finals tonight and I saw where Thomas Bryant in the game.

Let me say I was unimpressed, he looked totally lost....

I haven’t watched any games, but Bryant has done really well overall in the G League this season.  Averaging 20 points and 7 rebounds a game, and dropped 33 points and 5 rebounds to send the South Bay Lakers to the conference finals the other day.

https://2ways10days.com/thomas-bryant-named-2-ways-10-days-g-league-rookie-of-the-year-e478ae2090db

https://gleague.nba.com/games/20180403/SBLRNO/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FKIM01 said:

Geez did Anunoby guard the entire Pacer lineup?!!!!

Under 30% and guaranteed no home court in first round.  Could be Cavs in first round, and would almost certainly be Toronto in second round should they get past first.  Pacers would have been better off as the 6th seed.

It’s been a pretty crazy year. I’ll say I’n impressed by how well the Pacers have finished, regardless of their final seed.

who do you guys think makes it to the finals in both conferences? I tend to think the Cavs will make it back, with Love healthy, but not 100 percent all in on that. Raptors have changed the way they play and are dialed in. Too bad about Kyrie (shout out to Gleas, i’m In Boston and just caught my first C’s game in the Garden - this town loves its C’s, full arena even against the Bulls and hugely into it, a lot of fun).

also think Rockets will take down GS, but also not sure (even less sure here). Rockets are really good and GS / Curry obviously not fully healthy and sort of limping into the playoffs, but the playoffs are of course a different animal, and like the Raptors, the Rockets and Harden have choked in the playoffs for years now. 

If raptors can hit shots, they will win.  They just seem the most complete, healthy, and have important continuity.  

Would say the same in the west with gs but with Curry??? it may be wide open.  Rockets are legit and have something to prove with 3 guys that have always fallen short, harden, Paul, and Dantoni.  OKC has a chance, and I wouldn't rule out a kwahi/Pop/Spurs sighting.