NBA Thread

Just now, IU Scott said:

I think most is saying the 80's we're the best decade to look at in comparison.

They were better teams, probably. Actually... I think for sure they were. The players, as whole, weren't as skilled. Multiple guys with the ability to do multiple things was not a common theme of the 80s or 90s. 

Hell they don't even outlet pass in the NBA anymore. 

Just now, btownqb said:

They were better teams, probably. Actually... I think for sure they were. The players, as whole, weren't as skilled. Multiple guys with the ability to do multiple things was not a common theme of the 80s or 90s. 

Hell they don't even outlet pass in the NBA anymore. 

Just love how the showtime Lakers played and it was the prettiest fast breaks you will ever see.  Get Magic in.the middle and having Worthy and Scott running the lanes it was an automatic dunk.  Hated the Celtics but they were a great organization with great players.

If the Pacers weren't so good in the 90's I probably wouldn't have liked the style of play in the 90's.  The thing is if todays players had to worry about getting their head cut off and hitting the floor on every drive they wouldn't he as skilled.

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Just love how the showtime Lakers played and it was the prettiest fast breaks you will ever see.  Get Magic in.the middle and having Worthy and Scott running the lanes it was an automatic dunk.  Hated the Celtics but they were a great organization with great players.

If the Pacers weren't so good in the 90's I probably wouldn't have liked the style of play in the 90's.  The thing is if todays players had to worry about getting their head cut off and hitting the floor on every drive they wouldn't he as skilled.

That's a different discussion though. I enjoyed the 90s game more too, I don't think that equates to more skill though. 

I can't actually believe I am seeing you tell me you liked the Lakers and disliked the Cs. I would have bet whatever amount of money it was the other way around lol 

Just understand those Laker and Cs teams were some of the greatest teams ever, hard to compare any team of any era to those guys imo. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I think most is saying the 80's we're the best decade to look at in comparison.

The 80s were an incredible era, no disputing that from me. 

No one is trying to trash the 80s, you're the one taking shots at todays NBA and you're just objectively wrong. The NBA is currently as good as it's ever been - they've done a wonderful job recovering from the 90s and 00s. And most of the current superstars seem to be genuinely good dudes, which makes it even more fun. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

That's a different discussion though. I enjoyed the 90s game more too, I don't think that equates to more skill though. 

I can't actually believe I am seeing you tell me you liked the Lakers and disliked the Cs. I would have bet whatever amount of money it was the other way around lol 

Just understand those Laker and Cs teams were some of the greatest teams ever, hard to compare any team of any era to those guys imo. 

Great point - if we are looking at the Lakers and Celts for comparison then they should be getting compared to like the Dubs when they won 3 out of 4 and went to 5 straight finals, which is honestly an intriguing discussion IMO and would have been great matchups. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

It’s funny you say that because Gary Payton II broke his elbow last night on that exact type of play. 

• Like 1

Just now, btownqb said:

The only time in my life I rooted for an individual player was Magic Johnson. I rooted for MSU in the finals in 1979.  I love the uptempo offense and like seeing teams run a fast break and not just a half court offense all the time.  If you have to be in the half court O just don't like the type of offense that is tan today. To me it is to easy to defend if you have 3 guys standing around the 3 point line waiting for a drive.

Just now, IU Scott said:

The only time in my life I rooted for an individual player was Magic Johnson. I rooted for MSU in the finals in 1979.  I love the uptempo offense and like seeing teams run a fast break and not just a half court offense all the time.  If you have to be in the half court O just don't like the type of offense that is tan today. To me it is to easy to defend if you have 3 guys standing around the 3 point line waiting for a drive.

Ok, but it isn't. It might be easier to scout, its NOT easier to defend. 

4 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

The 80s were an incredible era, no disputing that from me. 

No one is trying to trash the 80s, you're the one taking shots at todays NBA and you're just objectively wrong. The NBA is currently as good as it's ever been - they've done a wonderful job recovering from the 90s and 00s. And most of the current superstars seem to be genuinely good dudes, which makes it even more fun. 

The players might be good guys bit the super stars of today is why I dislike the NBA.  The guys just trying to run the league and getting together to form super teams.  I have the load management and players missing games when they are healthy.

The Lakers and Celtics we're like super teams but it was through good drafting and trades.  I couldn't see guys like Magic and Bird getting together and try to form a super teams.

6 minutes ago, 02Hoosier said:

It’s funny you say that because Gary Payton II broke his elbow last night on that exact type of play. 

The difference was if that happened in the 80's and 90's he wouldn't have been ejected. Look at the close line that McHale put on Rambis and it was just a foul.

40 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

The players might be good guys bit the super stars of today is why I dislike the NBA.  The guys just trying to run the league and getting together to form super teams.  I have the load management and players missing games when they are healthy.

The Lakers and Celtics we're like super teams but it was through good drafting and trades.  I couldn't see guys like Magic and Bird getting together and try to form a super teams.

Yes, we get it, you hate individuals having any rights over their life in the form of free agency, NIL, or any ability to chose their own destiny. Athletes should be completely beholden to the whims of what we like as fans, to hell with wha they want. 

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

The difference was if that happened in the 80's and 90's he wouldn't have been ejected. Look at the close line that McHale put on Rambis and it was just a foul.

Are you advocating that a guy getting clobbered in the head and breaking his elbow on the fall resulting in an ejection is bad for basketball? 

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

Are you advocating that a guy getting clobbered in the head and breaking his elbow on the fall resulting in an ejection is bad for basketball? 

Didn't say that but today players don't have to worry about this as much because there are consequences now.

2 hours ago, btownqb said:

Less skill? 

There were a lot of guys like KD and AD with that type of skill before? Less skill compared to when? 

Would they not be the freaks of nature?  

If we have all this skill why are guys shooting 42% from the field when they're only shooting layups and bunnies? That's my main point right there.  3-point shooting's at its all time best I get that and the league is absolutely loaded but the conversation kind of morphed into a college basketball conversation as well. I don't think that we can argue that college basketball is at its premium right now.  

But the question still stands if we're so efficient why is two-point shooting percentage terrible? And they're only shooting layups and bunnies for the most part.

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Since your taking about the Lakers so much. Wilt said he wasn't getting traded without his approval. Certainly, he would of blocked a trade to the cincinnati royals or not showed but LA, no way he blocks that scenario.  Kareem wanted to be dealt to LA or NY and get away from Milwaukee.  Even talked about moving to NY while playing with the Bucks.  It's not really all that different.  

2 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

Would they not be the freaks of nature?  

If we have all this skill why are guys shooting 42% from the field when they're only shooting layups and bunnies? That's my main point right there.  3-point shooting's at its all time best I get that and the league is absolutely loaded but the conversation kind of morphed into a college basketball conversation as well. I don't think that we can argue that college basketball is at its premium right now.  

But the question still stands if we're so efficient why is two-point shooting percentage terrible? And they're only shooting layups and bunnies for the most part.

Are you talking about at the NBA level? If so, it’s because of a couple things IMO.

The first being the NBA allowing zone defense now. That makes it much harder to get clean looks at the rim. Jordan wasn’t dealing with that, he could beat you off of the dribble and then it was over, now you beat your man off the dribble and there’s a guy waiting on you.

The second is how good the bigs (and not really even just bigs at this point) are at maintaining verticality at the rim to give really good contests without fouling. 

• Like 1

On 5/3/2022 at 7:08 PM, KoB2011 said:

Then don't watch? These numbers kind of show that a lot of midrange isn't working, most of those guys are already out of the playoffs. The two guys left are at best the secondary scoring option on their team.

Yeah I watch a lot less. I rarely watch regular season anymore. Sad because I want to watch. I’m not pulling a Scott here. Just saying I’d love to watch something beside one on one basketball. I do appreciate the teams that have more movement. I fully realize these are the greatest athletes in rhe world….just wish there was a little more variety in their game.  Nobody shoots mid range…and not because it isn’t an efficient shot…it’s inefficient because they don’t practice it and aren’t good at it…half the league can’t do anything but stand in a corner and shoot a 3. They can’t break down their defender they can’t post up they don’t know how to read a defense and run off a screen 4 different ways based on the defense to get them an open look. Outside what I see in Golden St and a couple other teams the majority of the league is inept. In the 80s you had role players and non starters if a star went down they could get you 30 just maybe not as efficiently but all the role players knew how to do everything. Now we got guys that can’t dribble or specialize so much that if the star goes down…they are useless without someone else getting a shot for them. Just think there is something to say about having a full well rounded game…and the league is too specialized. When everything is perfect sure that’s works well…but when things break down or they have adversity…it turns into ugly basketball. Just my observation….still tune in because well by gosh it’s basketball…and I love the game…but can’t help but wonder if it’s being watered down.

• Like 2

I’m not here to argue if shooting more 3s is more efficient or not…clearly the scoring continues to go up. Just saying it’s ugly basketball a great amount of time. I don’t particularly enjoy watching a guy ball screen 3-4 times over and over while a guy dribbles the ball to death (many times carrying it but that’s another story) until finally a guy gets an aloof defender out of position and then go around and getting a layup or kicking it out to 4 guys who all stand around with their thumb up their butt waiting to shoot a 3….and then see 40% of those go in. I know I could turn it off..and when it’s bad I do…but just saying I appreciate the teams and guys that play the game differently and think there isn’t enough variety in the league. Sorry if my original post got taken to where the discussion went. 

• Like 1

On 5/4/2022 at 9:29 AM, IU Scott said:

Scott my friend, first the Spurs (5 titles since 99, covering 15 years) then, following their model, the Dubs, 3 titles since 2015 (and may be on track for another right now) grew their franchises from within, drafting, development, and at times excellent trade work (the one i disliked, as the exception from a competitive standpoint, was Durant). That’s 8 titles since 99, and both are outstanding franchises built right.
And with that has come multiple incredible players including guys who will go down as among the best ever, Duncan, Curry, and with that outstanding coaching, Pop one of the best to ever grace the sidelines.

there were many great teams of the 70s and 80s and guys like Bird, MJ, Magic are as amazing today as they were then, but there are great teams and franchises in today’s NBA and built from within.
Side note, if you want to see a truly amazing player who isn’t yet in this discussion but i’d bet on him getting there - Ja Morant - man he is just so much fun to watch, genuinely incredible, and the Dubs - Grizz series is a blast. 
Life goes on after the 70s! :)

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Scott my friend, first the Spurs (5 titles since 99, covering 15 years) then, following their model, the Dubs, 3 titles since 2015 (and may be on track for another right now) grew their franchises from within, drafting, development, and at times excellent trade work (the one i disliked, as the exception from a competitive standpoint, was Durant). That’s 8 titles since 99, and both are outstanding franchises built right.
And with that has come multiple incredible players including guys who will go down as among the best ever, Duncan, Curry, and with that outstanding coaching, Pop one of the best to ever grace the sidelines.

there were many great teams of the 70s and 80s and guys like Bird, MJ, Magic are as amazing today as they were then, but there are great teams and franchises in today’s NBA and built from within.
Side note, if you want to see a truly amazing player who isn’t yet in this discussion but i’d bet on him getting there - Ja Morant - man he is just so much fun to watch, genuinely incredible, and the Dubs - Grizz series is a blast. 
Life goes on after the 70s! :)

giphy.gif

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

Since @BGleasdoesn't seem to want to say it, I'll say it.... the call at the end of the Celts game yesterday was really bad and cost them going to overtime. 

It was awful! Wanted someone else to bring it up first. 

Giannis is the best player in the world right now and he's also a really likeable star, but with that said he is being officiated differently than any other player. What he's allowed to get away with is crazy. 

• Like 3