NBA Thread

On 5/4/2022 at 9:24 AM, IU Scott said:

The only time in my life I rooted for an individual player was Magic Johnson. I rooted for MSU in the finals in 1979.  I love the uptempo offense and like seeing teams run a fast break and not just a half court offense all the time.  If you have to be in the half court O just don't like the type of offense that is tan today. To me it is to easy to defend if you have 3 guys standing around the 3 point line waiting for a drive.

Interesting.  You’re from small town Indiana and you rooted for MSU over Bird and ISU?  Turn in your Indiana card.  

image.thumb.jpeg.145755c56d7d7436b3ac3ec6c7117a27.jpeg

• Like 2

7 hours ago, BGleas said:

The 2nd time in the game yesterday that Rob Williams face committed a foul 🤦‍♂️

I would probably call that a foul on Horford 🤷‍♂️

I generally agree that Giannis gets away with a lot of offensive fouls, though. It reminds me of Lebron in his prime, minus the flopping from Giannis. 

• Like 2

On 5/8/2022 at 8:42 PM, KoB2011 said:

I would probably call that a foul on Horford 🤷‍♂️

I generally agree that Giannis gets away with a lot of offensive fouls, though. It reminds me of Lebron in his prime, minus the flopping from Giannis. 

Agreed. Giannis is having to do too much. Literally carrying his team on his back as he has no help. Celtics just throwing waves of guys at him. Celtics play that mugging defense. Reminds me of the early 2000 Patriots where they just mug your receivers down the field on every play. You basically lull the officials into desensitized by the physical play as they aren’t going to want to disrupt the flow with a hundred foul calls or penalties. Basically ratchets up the physicality on what is considered a foul. Boston is a very good defensive team…especially because of their size they can switch so much but also in the style too. It’s impressive how they clamped down on KD and now Giannis. Their philosophy and style has worked great and will likely I think result in them moving on past a depleted and exhausted Giannis lead Bucks. 

On 5/10/2022 at 9:09 AM, KoB2011 said:

Horford has been a really good basketball player for a really long time. 

A) Didn't get the credit he was due at Florida. 

B) Gotta have a good foundation to last that long. He must have had a damn good coach his first couple of years in the league. 

• Like 1

Tough loss for my Celtics last night. The Bucks certainly made some big plays, but I'd say the Celtics choked that one away more than the Bucks won it. 

Tatum's shot selection was horrible and obviously giving up offensive rebounds was huge, but another huge reason we lost was this tweet below and most of these 3's were off of Celtics made baskets...Just unacceptable. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

Tough loss for my Celtics last night. The Bucks certainly made some big plays, but I'd say the Celtics choked that one away more than the Bucks won it. 

Tatum's shot selection was horrible and obviously giving up offensive rebounds was huge, but another huge reason we lost was this tweet below and most of these 3's were off of Celtics made baskets...Just unacceptable. 

Barking at the refs was the easiest way for me to get my arsz planted on the bench in my ball playin' days.  Coach said it was his job to yell at them.  It amazes me(or not) that pros continually do it.  Anyway, it was a tough loss for your leprechauns.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, rico said:

Barking at the refs was the easiest way for me to get my arsz planted on the bench in my ball playin' days.  Coach said it was his job to yell at them.  It amazes me(or not) that pros continually do it.  Anyway, it was a tough loss for your leprechauns.

It's been an issue with Tatum and Grant Williams for awhile. Udoka has talked about it a lot this season. 

But clearly Milwaukee made it a focus to exploit that, because many of the 3's referenced were after made Celtics baskets and Milwaukee would rush the ball up, almost like a 5-on-4 break and take/make quick 3's. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BGleas said:

It's been an issue with Tatum and Grant Williams for awhile. Udoka has talked about it a lot this season. 

But clearly Milwaukee made it a focus to exploit that, because many of the 3's referenced were after made Celtics baskets and Milwaukee would rush the ball up, almost like a 5-on-4 break and take/make quick 3's. 

Bucks we’re making a concerted effort to get into their offense much faster because if you allow Boston to set up their defense…it’s like a dragnet that just squeezes in on you. My feeling was it was certainly an emphasis to speed up and get the defense moving quickly because the Celtics this series and all year have made late shot clock offense basically impossible for opponents. Saw it with Brooklyn and KD and Kyrie…no matter how good you are offensively if you can switch everything on defense and you can get teams to only have 6-8 seconds to work with…well you can force into a lot of bad shots. Bucks we’re definitely trying to initiate before Celtics we’re totally locked in…the jawing just helped their cause for sure. Shot selection for Celts I thought was were the game was lost. Settled way too much…especially at home where you can be aggressive and get calls.

12 hours ago, rico said:

Bye, bye Philly.  Jay Wright to the Sixers?

I can see Wright to the sixers but will he want to deal with Harden and Morey.  Harden might be nearing his quitting point on another team especially as a FA.  I think Wright is happy to take a year off unless philly wants to make big changes.     

I have always liked Butler but there was a stretch where he seemed like a locker room cancer when it came to dealing with young players as a leader in his later bulls days then with the wolves.  He certainly seems to have that figured out now.  

I don't knw the Mavs can beat the Suns in Phoenix but in one game they have Luka.  Reggie Miller is trying to use Luka Magic as his nickname but Luka Magic describes what he does so it is not his nickname.  Cmon Luka, forget about the refs sprinkle that Lukamagic on Game 7 and steal one. Let's go Mavs!   

Sixers seemed to underachieve although I've always thought Harden is overrated in terms of being a winner.  He just can't do it as a primary player.

Spoelstra is as good of a coach as there is in basketball.  You've got Pop and Kerr but Spoelstra is right there.  And Riley's record of putting teams together is phenomenal.  It's proven.  That roster is hardly a collection of superstars.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Sixers seemed to underachieve although I've always thought Harden is overrated in terms of being a winner.  He just can't do it as a primary player.

Spoelstra is as good of a coach as there is in basketball.  You've got Pop and Kerr but Spoelstra is right there.  And Riley's record of putting teams together is phenomenal.  It's proven.  That roster is hardly a collection of superstars.

If I were a coach, I wouldn’t go near a team with Harden on the roster. He’s such an offensive black hole, Harden makes Bracey Wright look like John Stockton. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/13/2022 at 7:50 AM, ATX_sig said:

I have always liked Butler but there was a stretch where he seemed like a locker room cancer when it came to dealing with young players as a leader in his later bulls days then with the wolves.  He certainly seems to have that figured out now.   

I actually see Butler in a similar (not exactly the same!) mindset that Kobe went through. He's exacting and demanding because he has a burning desire to win. He wants to surround himself with other winners. You can certainly see why he and Embiid have mutual respect; they both are not content with just being in the game, they want to win.

I would much rather have Jimmy Butler on my team than James Harden right now. The proof is in the playoff pudding.

• Like 2