NBA Thread

4 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Great day of basketball, I’m as excited for it as I am like the S16 or E8 days. Hope none of y’all miss it. 

It was a great day of hoops!! My son scored 12 points in his game this morning going 4-for-4 overall, 2-for-2 from the 3pt line and 2-for-2 from the free throw line, and then we watched our Celtics dismantle the Bucks!!

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

This is a major egg...enormous egg...109-65 with 6 minutes.  And on the Suns court...114-68 now with 5 to go.

I didn’t see this coming for sure. I was really expecting a repeat finals but could understand the Bucks falling short with Middleton out no way Giannis could carry that team on his own…but Phoenix has no excuse…and Chris Paul is cementing his legacy. 

Hindsight 20/20 but it’s really really hard to believe teams passed on the two stars tonight in their respective drafts. How Fultz and Ball went before Tatum and how Ayton and Bagley went before Doncic. I think it shows a lot with Philly…you can have a process and all the top picks you want but if you don’t execute them then it doesn’t matter. Outside Embiid they did a horrible job…not just with Fultz and Simmons but they also traded away Mikal Bridges geez. I just hope Indy makes the right pick or lucks into getting the right guy left for them…because nothing is certain even in the lottery.

That series will be a nasty little foot note on CP3s legacy. Have to think this was his last, best shot at winning a title as a premier player.

Major props to the Mavs and Kidd for what they did to him. Really made him work on both ends and frustrated him and it showed. 

I know this for certain personally. My NBA talent evaluator skills are worthless. Looking at guys like Luka and even Brunson....just never thought it would translate to the NBA or translate to this level of success.

I feel like Luka is good for 35 every single night....and because of that Brunson's production has doubled. Happy for the Mavs and Cuban. 

One other thing. Forgot the Heat were still in playoffs. Been at least a week since they've been on the court.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

That series will be a nasty little foot note on CP3s legacy. Have to think this was his last, best shot at winning a title as a premier player.

Major props to the Mavs and Kidd for what they did to him. Really made him work on both ends and frustrated him and it showed. 

Agree on the CP3 angle. He fell off a cliff after Game 2. Have to give a ton of credit to Jason Kidd. Not a big Kidd fan, but I think he made a smart move to become an assistant for a couple of seasons after flopping in Brooklyn and Milwaukee with no experience. 

For CP3, I think for now we can stop the talk of him making any kind of leap in the PG rankings ahead of Isiah, Oscar, Magic, Steph (gets categorized as PG), etc. 

But, that was an impressive performance by Dallas, Luka and Kidd. It will be a very interesting WCF. You have the ascending Mavs and Luka going head-to-head with the grizzled veterans. 

I tend to lean Warriors, but I haven't been overly impressed with them so far in the playoffs. Steph, while still great, almost looks a step slower. 

Edit: Just looked it up and Steph has his lowest FG% and 3pt% of his career this season by a wide margin. I'm a Steph fan, but we may be seeing his decline starting. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

I know this for certain personally. My NBA talent evaluator skills are worthless. Looking at guys like Luka and even Brunson....just never thought it would translate to the NBA or translate to this level of success.

I feel like Luka is good for 35 every single night....and because of that Brunson's production has doubled. Happy for the Mavs and Cuban. 

One other thing. Forgot the Heat were still in playoffs. Been at least a week since they've been on the court.

I think Brunson produces more when Luka is out like the 41 vs Utah.  I watch all their games and he is just a good consistent offensive player every night  whether Luka plays or not.  He is also a catalyst in the team culture.  

Brunson defense is pretty bad but he is probably one highest IQ guys in the league. So he will draw a lot of charges and leanred from the master of filling passing lanes (Kidd) to be pretty good at that in the team defense concept. It took all of 3.5 years for me to warm up to the slow footed PG but I finally bought in to him. 

This group has a ton of cohesion.  Brunson, Dodo, and Luka are all quite close.   Dodo (DFS) is maybe the most underrated player in the league. He leads the league in percentage of defending the other teams best players.   

Let's go Mavs.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ATX_sig said:

I think Brunson produces more when Luka is out like the 41 vs Utah.  I watch all their games and he is just a good consistent offensive player every night  whether Luka plays or not.  He is also a catalyst in the team culture.  

Brunson defense is pretty bad but he is probably one highest IQ guys in the league. So he will draw a lot of charges and leanred from the master of filling passing lanes (Kidd) to be pretty good at that in the team defense concept. It took all of 3.5 years for me to warm up to the slow footed PG but I finally bought in to him. 

This group has a ton of cohesion.  Brunson, Dodo, and Luka are all quite close.   Dodo (DFS) is maybe the most underrated player in the league. He leads the league in percentage of defending the other teams best players.   

Let's go Mavs.

I got to see Brunson play in high school a few times (Stevenson) and you could see the game was there. Just never thought it would be this level...definitely cheering for the Mavs. PS....so Dodo is a good DFS play?

10 hours ago, BGleas said:

Agree on the CP3 angle. He fell off a cliff after Game 2. Have to give a ton of credit to Jason Kidd. Not a big Kidd fan, but I think he made a smart move to become an assistant for a couple of seasons after flopping in Brooklyn and Milwaukee with no experience. 

For CP3, I think for now we can stop the talk of him making any kind of leap in the PG rankings ahead of Isiah, Oscar, Magic, Steph (gets categorized as PG), etc. 

But, that was an impressive performance by Dallas, Luka and Kidd. It will be a very interesting WCF. You have the ascending Mavs and Luka going head-to-head with the grizzled veterans. 

I tend to lean Warriors, but I haven't been overly impressed with them so far in the playoffs. Steph, while still great, almost looks a step slower. 

Edit: Just looked it up and Steph has his lowest FG% and 3pt% of his career this season by a wide margin. I'm a Steph fan, but we may be seeing his decline starting. 

I am not sold on this current GS iteration. My favorite player GP2 is hurt. They lucked out with Morant going down and Phoenix choking out. I’ve liked their offense and movement but agree they are a step slower and not nearly as good as their other championship teams. That said Dallas is a one man show…and unless guys get super hot I don’t see them beating GS. 

Imo the champs will come out of the East….baring some more injuries. Miami and Boston is going to be a slug fest…defensive thriller reminicient of the 90s…

Good luck to the Pacers tomorrow night. Of all the teams that deserve a #1 pick it is the Pacers. A franchise that really tries to run things the right way. Has always tried to win and put a playoff caliber team on the floor even while everyone else is tanking and trading for draft picks we just trying to put a winning product out there. Be nice to luck into a generational talent (even if I’m not sure there is one in this draft). Something tells me the NBA will reward a bigger market though. 

Edited by dgambill

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

I am not sold on this current GS iteration. My favorite player GP2 is hurt. They lucked out with Morant going down and Phoenix choking out. I’ve liked their offense and movement but agree they are a step slower and not nearly as good as their other championship teams. That said Dallas is a one man show…and unless guys get super hot I don’t see them beating GS. 

Imo the champs will come out of the East….baring some more injuries. Miami and Boston is going to be a slug fest…defensive thriller reminicient of the 90s…

I’ll agree that the Dubs aren’t as good as their teams 5 years ago that stack up to anyone historically, but they’re good enough to win the title this year. 

• Like 2

Rajon Rondo apparently went crazy on his kids and their mother the other night in Louisville.  Pulled a gun, threatened to kill the mom, smashed up the house, etc.

Google the TMZ article. I don't know how to link on my phone.   Pretty disturbing stuff.

• Sad 1