NBA Thread

IMO, the Warriors look like the team to beat. I thought they would be favorites to win it if they could be healthy for the playoffs.  They handled the regular season perfectly to get everyone on the court for the playoffs.  I think all these last 4 teams are very close and I wouldn't be surprised by any outcome.  

On to the Mavs plug. 

The Mavs were 16-18 on New Years Eve and finished the season 36-12.  They were 3-1 vs GS, 3-1 vs Memphis, 2-0 vs Boston, 1-1 vs Miami with road winning both games. Only the suns final 48 was better at 37-11.  Suns were the Mavs kryptonite.  They had owned the Mavs for last 3 or 4 years winning like 12 of 15 and something like 10 in row at home over Dallas. Took 7 games but that was fixed in the playoffs. 

What the Mavs have going for them is this was suppose to be a reset year with new regime so anything they produce after round 1 series win is icing on the cake. I think that was their expectations that Round 1 series win was the bar for a successful season.  They are now playing with no pressure plus Luka lives for the pressure moments.   They are more than a 1 man show and play as physical as anyone left in the playoffs. 

Let's go Mavs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Al Horford out for the game vs Heat....in Florida of all places. Covid protocols. No clue of the NBA rules but for those who like to throw a few down on games or series. I'd say the Heat are in a good spot.

Obviously not a good thing and disappointing for the Celtics and us fans. But if there's a silver lining, if i was going to pick a game to not have him it would be a road game and probably a Game on the road. 

Only need to steal one road game if you protect home court. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ATX_sig said:

IMO, the Warriors look like the team to beat. I thought they would be favorites to win it if they could be healthy for the playoffs.  They handled the regular season perfectly to get everyone on the court for the playoffs.  I think all these last 4 teams are very close and I wouldn't be surprised by any outcome.  

On to the Mavs plug. 

The Mavs were 16-18 on New Years Eve and finished the season 36-12.  They were 3-1 vs GS, 3-1 vs Memphis, 2-0 vs Boston, 1-1 vs Miami with road winning both games. Only the suns final 48 was better at 37-11.  Suns were the Mavs kryptonite.  They had owned the Mavs for last 3 or 4 years winning like 12 of 15 and something like 10 in row at home over Dallas. Took 7 games but that was fixed in the playoffs. 

What the Mavs have going for them is this was suppose to be a reset year with new regime so anything they produce after round 1 series win is icing on the cake. I think that was their expectations that Round 1 series win was the bar for a successful season.  They are now playing with no pressure plus Luka lives for the pressure moments.   They are more than a 1 man show and play as physical as anyone left in the playoffs. 

Let's go Mavs.

They are very streaky shooting. Dinwidde could as easily go 3-15 as 10-15. Brunson can be taken advantage of at the defensive end…GS does have multiple guys to throw at Luka with Green/Kuminga/Wiggins.

Pacers never catch a break in the lottery. Came in second three times but that was when the lottery was 7 teams .  Could had Sampson, Ewing and Manning but instead got Stepanovich, Tisdale and Smits.

Looks like Ivey is going to be going to the Kings and probably will not be heard of again. Picking 6th I don't know who I want the Pacers to pick because after the top of Bochero, Smith, Holmgren and Murray I see a huge drop off.

I’m just tired of the same franchises being rewarded for sucking and spending decades tanking for multiple top picks. You should be incentivized to try to get better and play all your games. You get a top 5 pick one year then the next no matter if you have the worst record you shouldn’t be able to pick in top 10…should be 11-15 and then the following they could be 6-10 and finally 3 years later eligible to pick in top 5 again.

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I’m just tired of the same franchises being rewarded for sucking and spending decades tanking for multiple top picks. You should be incentivized to try to get better and play all your games. You get a top 5 pick one year then the next no matter if you have the worst record you shouldn’t be able to pick in top 10…should be 11-15 and then the following they could be 6-10 and finally 3 years later eligible to pick in top 5 again.

Orlando got the first pick for the 4th time.  Also Orlando already has a lot of big guys who have a lot of length and the top 3 is in the same mold.  You would think they would look to trade a couple of their big guys to get some guards and wing players.

11 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Orlando got the first pick for the 4th time.  Also Orlando already has a lot of big guys who have a lot of length and the top 3 is in the same mold.  You would think they would look to trade a couple of their big guys to get some guards and wing players.

They would be well served to bring in a guy like Brunson to be a leader and surround him with guys like Wagnor, Chet/Smith, and WCJ and Bamba. They already have Cole Anthony but I don’t think he is a leader you would want at the point for a young team. Maybe move Suggs to the 2 or let Jalen play off the ball like Mavs do.

Edited by dgambill

8 minutes ago, dgambill said:

They would be well served to bring in a guy like Brunson to be a leader and surround him with guys like Wagnor, Chet/Smith, and WCJ and Bamba. They already have Cole Anthony but I don’t think he is a leader you would want at the point for a young team. Maybe move Suggs to the 2 or let Jalen play off the ball like Mavs do.

They also have Issacs, the other Wagner and Robin Lopez.

• Like 1

If I was the Pacers I’d try to make a move with the Pelicans or Knicks by moving Brogdon and the 31 to get another bite at the 8 or 11 picks. I would think both those teams would rather have quality veteran for playoff push and our timeline for a reset doesn’t match up with guys like Brogdon and Heild.

7 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

They also have Issacs, the other Wagner and Robin Lopez.

They have a lot of bigs…but they have a lot of guards too lol. RJ Hampton, Anthony, Suggs, Fultz…tons of young players…this is what I mean…teams that just keep sucking and getting another bite at the Apple over and over because they won’t sign veteran’s or even try to make the playoffs. But they will make some trades of their bigs. There isn’t a guard worthy of number 1 pick….they will take Chet or Smith.

Edited by dgambill

3 minutes ago, dgambill said:

They have a lot of bigs…but they have a lot of guards too lol. RJ Hampton, Anthony, Suggs, Fultz…tons of young players…this is what I mean…teams that just keep sucking and getting another bite at the Apple over and over because they won’t sign veteran’s or even try to make the playoffs. But they will make some trades of their bigs. There isn’t a guard worthy of number 1 pick….they will take Chet or Smith.

I just looked and they have Bol Bol as well.  I agree that teams like Orlando and Sacramento have a roster full of lottery picks but never get better.

• Like 1

Looks like the Celtics are going to lose pretty big in Game 1. Not too worried, we're missing two starters and you just need to steal one on the road. 

I think what I get irritated by is that the Celtics played Friday night in Milwaukee, Sunday afternoon in Boston, and now Tuesday night in Miami. 

Just ridiculous that they didn't get another day or two before this series started.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Looks like the Celtics are going to lose pretty big in Game 1. Not too worried, we're missing two starters and you just need to steal one on the road. 

I think what I get irritated by is that the Celtics played Friday night in Milwaukee, Sunday afternoon in Boston, and now Tuesday night in Miami. 

Just ridiculous that they didn't get another day or two before this series started.  

It's their own fault.  Should have beat the Bucks in 5 games.  :coffee:

To an extent, I get that Tatum doesn't get all the calls that a guy like Giannis gets. But, Jimmy Butler? If Tatum got anywhere close to these calls that Butler gets, he'd average 40ish. 

You'd think Shaq was out there. He has 18 free throw attempts. 

I have a gut feeling the Pacers are going to end up with either Ivey, Murray, or Mathurin if they stay at 6. I'd be happy with any of those three. Sharpe will get taken in the top 5 due to his high upside. Some team will take that risk. Same with Chet. Smith and Banchero are both very unlikely to fall. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, dgambill said:

Of course we didn’t move up. Team like Sacremento who gets top draft picks every year gets another.

They’ve got to be the dumbest franchise in sports.  It’s not just the Doncic thing which everyone and their monkey knew they got wrong in real time.  They don’t get it to the point that you’re surprised when they get a good player like Fox.   You collect enough high picks, at some point you should be able to win.   

Edited by BobSaccamanno