NBA Thread

1 hour ago, DC2345 said:

I have a gut feeling the Pacers are going to end up with either Ivey, Murray, or Mathurin if they stay at 6. I'd be happy with any of those three. Sharpe will get taken in the top 5 due to his high upside. Some team will take that risk. Same with Chet. Smith and Banchero are both very unlikely to fall. 

I have seen some say that Sharpe could end up being the best player in this draft. I will say that the Pacers will end up with Murray.

1 hour ago, DC2345 said:

I have a gut feeling the Pacers are going to end up with either Ivey, Murray, or Mathurin if they stay at 6. I'd be happy with any of those three. Sharpe will get taken in the top 5 due to his high upside. Some team will take that risk. Same with Chet. Smith and Banchero are both very unlikely to fall. 

I think that’s right.  To me it’s pretty obvious that Holmgren, Jabari Smith, and Banchero are the cream of the crop and there is a dropoff.   I haven’t really focused on Mathurin yet.  As much as I like Murray, he’s way behind the top 3 in ability IMO.  

Smith at 6’10 moves like a wing and can shoot.  I would study his motor though.  Holmgren to me is underrated because people get distracted by how skinny he is.  I like Banchero but probably 3rd.  Where fans are limited is we don’t interview the guys and get to know them.  We might re-slot them based on that.   

My view of the draft is that in most drafts there are very few true difference makers.  The Pacers are below that line.  So you try to get the right piece in your vision of your team, not necessarily the most physically eye popping guy.  This is how you end up with Marvin Bagley or that big guy from Duke that the Bulls drafted who no one remembers because his game is right out of 1982.  Then Desmond Bane goes in the 20s.   

For the Pacers, if Murray is the right piece, so be it.   You’d still keep building for your superstar in a subsequent draft.   

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I have seen some say that Sharpe could end up being the best player in this draft. I will say that the Pacers will end up with Murray.

Murray fills a need the Pacers have had for a while. A 3/4 that can score the ball in a variety of ways. Warren filled that role for a short time but other than that it has been a struggle since the PG and Danny Granger days. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DC2345 said:

Mathurin disappeared the few times I watched 'Zona play.  Then again, what the hell do I know.

Just now, rico said:

Mathurin disappeared the few times I watched 'Zona play.  Then again, what the hell do I know.

I honestly want Ivey or Murray at 6 but I would be fine with Mathurin as he has a good size and athleticism with some scoring/shooting ability. 

2 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I think that’s right.  To me it’s pretty obvious that Holmgren, Jabari Smith, and Banchero are the cream of the crop and there is a dropoff.   I haven’t really focused on Mathurin yet.  As much as I like Murray, he’s way behind the top 3 in ability IMO.  

Smith at 6’10 moves like a wing and can shoot.  I would study his motor though.  Holmgren to me is underrated because people get distracted by how skinny he is.  I like Banchero but probably 3rd.  Where fans are limited is we don’t interview the guys and get to know them.  We might re-slot them based on that.   

My view of the draft is that in most drafts there are very few true difference makers.  The Pacers are below that line.  So you try to get the right piece in your vision of your team, not necessarily the most physically eye popping guy.  This is how you end up with Marvin Bagley or that big guy from Duke that the Bulls drafted who no one remembers because his game is right out of 1982.  Then Desmond Bane goes in the 20s.   

For the Pacers, if Murray is the right piece, so be it.   You’d still keep building for your superstar in a subsequent draft.   

You mean Wendell Carter? He's turned out to be a pretty good player. 

I think you can find Superstars beyond the first few picks in most drafts, it's just a matter of identifying who they are. They best player on the two teams likely to be in the Finals weren't top 5 picks, but that's also probably why the Heat and the Warriors are the Heat and the Warriors. 

I was reading rumors about the Pacers/Suns discussing Ayton during the season.    So that means they likely are looking for a big.  Where does Duren fit at pick 6 if Murray is off the board?  I read one scouting report he is pretty impressive finisher.  I had viewed RC as one of the best if not the best PnR coach in the league.  How does Haliburton do in the PnR?  

Did anyone else noticed when the lottery show was coming on that it looked like Miller Kopp was standing there talking to Richard Hamilton.  

Also a couple of months ago it looked like the Pacers had a good shot at a top 4 pick and the 16th pick from Cleveland. Now all we got is the 6th pick and it seems like the Pacers can't catch a break

7 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

You mean Wendell Carter? He's turned out to be a pretty good player. 

I think you can find Superstars beyond the first few picks in most drafts, it's just a matter of identifying who they are. They best player on the two teams likely to be in the Finals weren't top 5 picks, but that's also probably why the Heat and the Warriors are the Heat and the Warriors. 

I think he mixed up Harry Giles with Carter but yeah…some just take a couple years to find their game.

Read the Sharpe kid has like an almost 7 foot wing span…geez!! That’s pretty crazy for a shooting guard.

Pacers said they are going to try to be aggressive in trying to either move up for their guy or try to get additional lottery pick. Look for Myles, Heild, and Brogdon to be on the trade block. My Brogdon plus 31 to Pelicans for #8 plus salary filler could be in play lol.

Edited by dgambill

24 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Pacers said they are going to try to be aggressive in trying to either move up for their guy or try to get additional lottery pick. Look for Myles, Heild, and Brogdon to be on the trade block. My Brogdon plus 31 to Pelicans for #8 plus salary filler could be in play lol.

I would do that in a heart beat.  You could then trade 6 and Turner to OKC for #2.

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I would do that in a heart beat.  You could then trade 6 and Turner to OKC for #2.

You aren’t moving up to top 2. No player or pick is going to get a team to move off a potential star. It’s like saying OKC would have traded back to give up KD. There is no package worth that. Not sure anyone at the top is in a win now situation except the Pelicans who are ready now with that team and could use one more good veteran guard to pair with their young stars.  Another McCollum kind of player to maybe have that Chris Paul effect for them like Phoenix did with their young core. I don’t see us moving up much except maybe to say pick 5 maybe….better chance to make a move with Charlotte or Knicks or Pelicans imo who want to compete now and later in the lottery.

I’ll say this NBA. 48 3s can be very very ugly basketball. Gosh that was atrocious by the Mavs. Sure when they go in it looks great but dang it is unwatchable when it isn’t. I’m not here to say it’s not more efficient etc etc because every game isn’t like tonight but man because of the streakiness and all the 3s it just feels like their is more blow outs in the post season then before. Seems like there used to be slug fests and close battles every game in the 90s and early 2000s. Now it’s win or lose by 30 if you shoot well or not. Can be hard to watch for the most part. Maybe it’s just anecdotal on my part but it feels that way especially this year. A close game is losing in the teens.

15 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Did anyone else noticed when the lottery show was coming on that it looked like Miller Kopp was standing there talking to Richard Hamilton.  

Also a couple of months ago it looked like the Pacers had a good shot at a top 4 pick and the 16th pick from Cleveland. Now all we got is the 6th pick and it seems like the Pacers can't catch a break

Pacers will be fine. They could get a couple more picks or other players for Brogdon and Turner depending on what they want in return. The Pacers also have Picks 31 and 58. They could likely package those and something else to move into the first round again like they did last year. The Pacers also likely won't have more than 2 or 3 rookies so that Cleveland pick moving to next year in a deeper draft isn't the worst thing. They have plenty of flexibility. 

Edited by DC2345
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, ATX_sig said:

I was reading rumors about the Pacers/Suns discussing Ayton during the season.    So that means they likely are looking for a big.  Where does Duren fit at pick 6 if Murray is off the board?  I read one scouting report he is pretty impressive finisher.  I had viewed RC as one of the best if not the best PnR coach in the league.  How does Haliburton do in the PnR?  

They are looking at Ayton because he is young and been a part of playoff success while playing at a high level. They could possibly land him in a sign and trade sending them Myles Turner since there's been talk Ayton wants out of Pheonix. I don't think they'll be drafting Duren. He is big and talented but that's a bit of a reach since most mock drafts have him going around 10 or 12. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

Pacers will be fine. They could get a couple more picks or other players for Brogdon and Turner depending on what they want in return. The Pacers also have Picks 31 and 60. They could likely package those and something else to move into the first round again like they did last year. The Pacers also likely won't have more than 2 or 3 rookies so that Cleveland pick moving to next year in a deeper draft isn't the worst thing. They have plenty of flexibility. 

Actually it is 58 and not 60. There were two teams that had to give up their picks so there will only be 58 picks in this draft.

3 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

It's possible. I've seen him as high as 25 in mocks but I've also seen him going undrafted. He has a very large range in which he could go. 

He is a guy that caught my eye this past season.  He reminds me of a less explosive Dan Majerle.

7 minutes ago, rico said:

He is a guy that caught my eye this past season.  He reminds me of a less explosive Dan Majerle.

I'll be curious to see how they draft. Do they draft a couple of higher upside guys that are younger or do they draft a combination of high a upside guy and a safer more NBA ready guy similar to last year with Duarte and Jackson.  There are some guys in the 20-31 range that the Pacers could take a swing on with some high upside but they were freshman this year. 

• Like 1