NBA Thread

Here are some names (in no order) that I wouldn't mind the Pacers to take a serious look at with their second pick whether that's at 31 or they trade back into the first. 

1. Blake Wesley

2. Bryce McGowens

3. Leonard Miller

4. Caleb Houstan

5. Nikola Jovic

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

Here are some names (in no order) that I wouldn't mind the Pacers to take a serious look at with their second pick whether that's at 31 or they trade back into the first. 

1. Blake Wesley

2. Bryce McGowens

3. Leonard Miller

4. Caleb Houstan

5. Nikola Jovic

I think Bryce McGowans will be a better pro than Ivey, Davis, or Branham...

I don’t begrudge Derrick White on this at all, I'm a human first so wish he and his wife the best on the birth of their first child. 

With that said, geez the Celtics can't catch a break. Looks like Marcus Smart is back for Game 2, but now White is out and on his way back to Boston. Probably missing Horford again too. 

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

1. Blake Wesley

2. Bryce McGowens

3. Leonard Miller

4. Caleb Houstan

5. Nikola Jovic

Is that other Michigan kid staying in the draft?  I like him as well.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I don’t begrudge Derrick White on this at all, I'm a human first so wish he and his wife the best on the birth of their first child. 

With that said, geez the Celtics can't catch a break. Looks like Marcus Smart is back for Game 2, but now White is out and on his way back to Boston. Probably missing Horford again too. 

Are you whining?

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, DC2345 said:

1. Blake Wesley

2. Bryce McGowens

3. Leonard Miller

4. Caleb Houstan

5. Nikola Jovic

Isn't 5 the guy that IU played against in the Bahamas. I remember he didn't do to well in those games.

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

I don’t know that I'm whining, but it's certainly not ideal to be missing Smart/Horford for Game 1 and then Horford/White for Game 2. 

I don’t think too many Pacer fans fill sorry for the “luck” of the Celtics lol….but yeah they have an uphill climb. Flip side Miami is without Lowry. Be interesting to see how much fuel Butler has in his tank. Last few series he has had several of these big 35-40 pt games but followed them up with 20-24 pt games. Focus will definitely be on him tonight.

31 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I don’t think too many Pacer fans fill sorry for the “luck” of the Celtics lol….but yeah they have an uphill climb. Flip side Miami is without Lowry. Be interesting to see how much fuel Butler has in his tank. Last few series he has had several of these big 35-40 pt games but followed them up with 20-24 pt games. Focus will definitely be on him tonight.

I'm biased, I get it, but I think Lowry is pretty close to being cooked. I saw some stats where Miami is better without him.

Don’t get me wrong, I'm sure they'd rather have him than not, but I don’t think he's close to as critical to what Miami does as Smart and Horford are to what the Celtics do. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, DC2345 said:

Stop. No chance that happens. He's not even a top 50 draft prospect. 

Was just trying to stir up discussions on pick 31 with all the talk focused on 6 plus a little humor thrown in on TJD being the pick.

9 hours ago, DC2345 said:

They are looking at Ayton because he is young and been a part of playoff success while playing at a high level. They could possibly land him in a sign and trade sending them Myles Turner since there's been talk Ayton wants out of Pheonix. I don't think they'll be drafting Duren. He is big and talented but that's a bit of a reach since most mock drafts have him going around 10 or 12. 

I don't see a big thick line between 6 and 10 when comparing these Mocks.  ESPN has the blazers taking Duren at 7. Walterfootball has him at 5.  I probably would not draft him over the top 6 but you have to work him out and do your homework.  

1 hour ago, ATX_sig said:

Was just trying to stir up discussions on pick 31 with all the talk focused on 6 plus a little humor thrown in on TJD being the pick.

I don't see a big thick line between 6 and 10 when comparing these Mocks.  ESPN has the blazers taking Duren at 7. Walterfootball has him at 5.  I probably would not draft him over the top 6 but you have to work him out and do your homework.  

With the way teams play nba bigs off the floor in the postseason…I don’t know I could ever take one in the top 10 unless they were a transcendent talent like Jokic or Embiid. Perhaps a team that has everything else and just needs a piece but I’d much rather invest in a guy like JJJ who can step out or Larry Nance Jr who is just an athletic tweener etc then big money on guys like traditional bigs like say the Wiseman’s or Gobert.

1 hour ago, ATX_sig said:

He had a great day. Wouldn’t surprise me to see him go mid-2nd round. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stlboiler23 said:

He had a great day. Wouldn’t surprise me to see him go mid-2nd round. 

I’ve heard that these workouts etc play very little factor into the process for most teams. That they want the measurements and work off their tape mostly…but then again that’s for first rounders. I’m sure in the second the criteria is less about upside and potential and more about can they help the team now or fit for a lot of them. Purdue was horrible with ball screen defense and as much as I do think Williams has a nice well rounded game I don’t know how well his game translates to the nba. Trayce as well…but at least Trayce has some elite athleticism to help make up for his lack of shooting…there could be some upside…Williams may be a better shooter now but his ceiling is way lower. Be surprised to see him drafted but no doubt he will have a good professional career somewhere once he finds his fit between g-league and overseas.

6 hours ago, BGleas said:

I'm biased, I get it, but I think Lowry is pretty close to being cooked. I saw some stats where Miami is better without him.

Don’t get me wrong, I'm sure they'd rather have him than not, but I don’t think he's close to as critical to what Miami does as Smart and Horford are to what the Celtics do. 

All good my friend lol…just giving you a little ribbing lol. Of course it wasn’t ideal…but this whole post season seems to be about overcoming adversity more so then who is the best team. Can’t think of a single team who hasn’t played without some stars or at 100%…including you guys. It’s about having your guys step up to the challenge…will the greatness of Tatum come out. Will Brown step up to that second star status. Time for your guys to grow into that next generation of stars.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 1

I'm going to lose my mind. Tatum gets a touch foul on one end, then on the other the Heat are literally shoving people all over the place and nothing gets called. 

The last possession Robert Williams went up for a clear offensive rebound and PJ Tucker grabbed him around the shoulder so he couldn't jump and nothing gets called?!?!

13 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I'm going to lose my mind. Tatum gets a touch foul on one end, then on the other the Heat are literally shoving people all over the place and nothing gets called. 

The last possession Robert Williams went up for a clear offensive rebound and PJ Tucker grabbed him around the shoulder so he couldn't jump and nothing gets called?!?!

I never understand why the officiating varies so wildly dealing with the NBA and road vs home. I always felt in college the kids get more effected by a few bad calls and the crowd etc so the officiating has a bigger influence but nba officials should be the best in the world and yet the way they call games is always so home friendly. With the exception of a few star treatment (Lebron/Steph/KD and Kobe/MJ etc back in the day) seemed home teams always got the benefit. Boston doesn’t have any really established stars yet to get that benefit…although they are on the verge of changing that with what Tatum has been doing.

Edited by dgambill

8 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I never understand why the officiating varies so wildly dealing with the NBA and road vs home. I always felt in college the kids get more effected by a few bad calls and the crowd etc so the officiating has a bigger influence but nba officials should be the best in the world and yet the way they call games is always so home friendly. With the exception of a few star treatment (Lebron/Steph/KD and Kobe/MJ etc back in the day) seemed home teams always got the benefit. Boston doesn’t have any really established stars yet to get that benefit…although they are on the verge of changing that with what Tatum has been doing.

I hear what you're saying. Even last game the officiating swung wildly from one half to the next. But yes, there is home cooking in the NBA at times. 

I'd say Tatum is already an established star. He's a 3-time All-Star, 2-time All-Star starter and should be 1st Team All-NBA this year. He also absolutely destroyed Durant in a 1st round sweep. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I hear what you're saying. Even last game the officiating swung wildly from one half to the next. But yes, there is home cooking in the NBA at times. 

I'd say Tatum is already an established star. He's a 3-time All-Star, 2-time All-Star starter and should be 1st Team All-NBA this year. He also absolutely destroyed Durant in a 1st round sweep. 

Yep…still has some maturing to do with his game but I do sense a little Kobe in him. For good and bad.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Don't do it!  Don't lose your mind!  Your boys are going to steal this one.  😁  LOL

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

Don't do it!  Don't lose your mind!  Your boys are going to steal this one.  😁  LOL

Haha, yeah I might have gotten frustrated a little early tonight 🤣. Though, last game Miami jumped us in the 3rd, so this isn't over.