NBA Thread

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Who is talking about 60's, because I wasn't born then.  Look at the 80's where the Celtics got calls all the time.  Try being a fan of a small market team like the Pacers when the play the top teams and let's talk about getting hosed.

Or maybe the Pacers just sucked?

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

Called a foul but today he would have been suspended for 5 games. I had no problem with the hat play but to see Celtics fan playing the victim is hilarious.

Can you seriously just let one conversation go without some stupid reference to the 80's? For real.

Also, I've clearly said the Celtics blew the game tonight with stupid turnovers and decisions.  

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

If they let him foul like he did in the 4th quarter today, maybe? For real, I love Oladipo, and the Celtics got a pretty favorable whistle tonight, but Dipo was aloud to foul a lot on some of those 4th quarter turnovers from Brown and Tatum. He absolutely mugged Tatum on the play he hurt his shoulder. 

I didn't see the foul but the way the refs were calling the game I think Spoelstra decided to let him loose. After getting blown out the previous game Miami said they were going to up their physicality and they did just that. 

6 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Can you seriously just let one conversation go without some stupid reference to the 80's? For real.

Also, I've clearly said the Celtics blew the game tonight with stupid turnovers and decisions.  

Probably not, can you go one Celtics loss without complaining about officials. I seem to remember you posting the same complaints for a few years now.

9 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Probably not, can you go one Celtics loss without complaining about officials. I seem to remember you posting the same complaints for a few years now.

Not sure how I can be more clear. I've clearly said the Celtics blew that game. I've clearly said Tatum, Brown, and Smart combined for 17 turnovers and shot 5-for-20 from 3. 

I literally posted a tweet from a reporter blaming the loss on the Celtics overall turnovers and live ball turnovers. I actually wrote that Celtics gave the game away more then the Heat won it, and actually said the Celtics got a favorable whistle tonight. 

Not sure what you're reading? Yes, there were some bad calls, but again the Celtics got the more favorable whistle tonight for the most part. 

3 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

There’s a lot here to unpack and it’s kinda hard to dig into without clean paragraph breaks, but I’ll give it a shot.

I’ll start by saying you kind of pick and choose when you’re applying whatever your definition is of a big in your post - you said JJJ isn’t (he lead the league in blocks) because he doesn’t get planted to the floor and can’t move (I assume this is a shot at Ayton), but if you’re not counting JJJ then wouldn’t you not count Embiid, Joker, etc?

I think it’s a little unfair to say not to draft a big high and just use this year as an example when all the best bigs in the leagues had weird things/injuries happen around them to the other best players. Giannis is out in part because of an injury, Joker same story, Embiid just had weird stuff going on with that team, Ayton is out this year but made the Finals last year and they’re out because of how badly CP3 got abused, not because of Ayton.

I would obviously take Luka and Young over Ayton from that draft but the rest of it I’m not so sure.

I am not even sure I know who you’re talking about you wouldn’t take in this draft, because the top three guys are all 6’10 and all frankly have HOF upside and look the part of guys who can be the centerpiece of a title team in about 5 years. 

None of the 3 you listed are centers. I’m saying I don’t take a true 5 unless he has something very very special. An Embiid/Jokic type of skill set. We were discussing Duran with the Pacer pick. I’m saying I wouldn’t take him in the top 10….I wouldn’t take guys like that or Two years ago Wiseman or even Mobley last year. I wouldn’t have taken Ayton and honestly I listed guys I would have rather had out of that draft not just Doncic and Young. Just saying if I have no star player on my team…and I have a top 5 pick…I’m not targeting a big. Sometimes everyone is off the board or you already have several special guys in place and it works out that is what you need I get it. I’m just saying as a Pacer fan I’m not looking to build my team around another big after we just saw what building around two got us.

• Like 1

PJ Tucker is like the TY Law of the NBA. He mugged KD last year into exhaustion and now they are letting him do the same to another super star in Tatum. That said I can’t understand how Boston could be so careless with the ball. Down Butler and Herro…horrible loss….yes they were down like 25 at one point but we saw Warriors come back at home…Celtics just need to grow up a little more…but they have the two best players in this series.

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

PJ Tucker is like the TY Law of the NBA. He mugged KD last year into exhaustion and now they are letting him do the same to another super star in Tatum. That said I can’t understand how Boston could be so careless with the ball. Down Butler and Herro…horrible loss….yes they were down like 25 at one point but we saw Warriors come back at home…Celtics just need to grow up a little more…but they have the two best players in this series.

Yeah, the Celtics were an absolute mess tonight and in the 3rd quarter of Game 1 with just ridiculous turnovers. Just really bad play and mostly careless. Might have cost themselves a trip to the Finals here. 

I'll disagree that Boston has the two best players. Jaylen Brown is not better than Jimmy Butler. He can play as well as Butler, but Butler is far more consistent with it. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, BGleas said:

Fixed it for you. PJ Tucker has been pushing and shoving Tatum all over the court. The play where Tatum hurt his shoulder Oladipo fouled the crap out of him.

What they are allowing him yo get away with is the worst form of basketball.  Thats not basketball.  

Gotta give Olidipo some create.  He took away passing lanes, snuck in a few times and was a major disruption.  I'm sure you loved 5he foul call he got when the Celtics big 2 fingers tipped his arm, after the shot.  I think the refs allowed it to get so physical they then got caught up with make up calls and it was a mess.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

Some.  It does seem as though the Celtics have not gotten a fair whistle, much of the time.  

I don’t know that Celtics don't get a fiar whistle. The Celtics do have game where they're really physical too. I am aware my team has Marcus Smart and Grant Williams, I get how they play. 

My frustration really comes for the most part from watching Jayson Tatum get mugged, pushed, hit and knocked around, while guys like Giannis, Butler, Doncic, Embiid, etc., march to the free throw line. 

Tatum doesn't get the calls many of those guys get and he has absolutely earned the 'star treatment'. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

What they are allowing him yo get away with is the worst form of basketball.  Thats not basketball.  

Gotta give Olidipo some create.  He took away passing lanes, snuck in a few times and was a major disruption.  I'm sure you loved 5he foul call he got when the Celtics big 2 fingers tipped his arm, after the shot.  I think the refs allowed it to get so physical they then got caught up with make up calls and it was a mess.  

Oladipo was fantastic and took advantage of his opportunity. Do I think he got away with numerous fouls that caused live ball turnovers and changed the game? Absolutely. 

But part of the game is sensing how the game is being officiated and adjusting to that. Oladipo did that, Tatum and Brown didn't and they were over driving and getting themselves in bad positions. 

17 hours ago, BGleas said:

Yeah, the Celtics were an absolute mess tonight and in the 3rd quarter of Game 1 with just ridiculous turnovers. Just really bad play and mostly careless. Might have cost themselves a trip to the Finals here. 

I'll disagree that Boston has the two best players. Jaylen Brown is not better than Jimmy Butler. He can play as well as Butler, but Butler is far more consistent with it. 

Agreed because Butler is the focal point of the offense. Boston plays through Tatum…but when Tatum is off the floor Brown to me has all the tools to be the best player on the floor…even more gifted then Butler. Just my opinion. I think he is special and his ability to get to the rim or knock down a jumper….he could be Batman on his own team.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Agreed because Butler is the focal point of the offense. Boston plays through Tatum…but when Tatum is off the floor Brown to me has all the tools to be the best player on the floor…even more gifted then Butler. Just my opinion. I think he is special and his ability to get to the rim or knock down a jumper….he could be Batman on his own team.

Agree on Brown. He's an All-Star caliber player, for sure. He put up 40 in an ECF game yesterday. His shooting has improved tremendously, he almost automatic from the mid-range and is basically a high-30's% 3pt shooter. 

He needs a lot of work on his handles and then also just needs to become more consistent. Consistency is where Butler has him. 

• Like 1

Wow, I think I just saw the worst call I've ever seen. Andrew Wiggins just posterized Luka and they called an offensive foul. 

Luka didn't even try taking charge or anything. He just flew by the play. Kerr is challenging, will be a joke if its not overturned. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

So glad they overturned that. It's also cool to see a guy like Wiggins seemingly has found the perfect home for him - he's an incredible talent but just not going to ever be "the guy", but man is he a GREAT complimentary player. 

Agree on Wiggins, and also what a phenomenal job by Bob Meyers, Golden States GM, to retool after Durant left and while Thompson was injured for 2 years. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Agree on Wiggins, and also what a phenomenal job by Bob Meyers, Golden States GM, to retool after Durant left and while Thompson was injured for 2 years. 

100%. I think they've got a couple years left of the Big Three still being impact players, but they've got a ton of young pieces to compliment and eventually hand things over to. 

If the Dubs win the Championship, that may cement Steph as a Top 10 All-Time guy; that would give him GOAT shooter, 4 Championships and two without Durant, two MVPs, and then just the somewhat immeasurable way he changed the game. I think it would probably lock up number two PG behind Magic, at least for me. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

100%. I think they've got a couple years left of the Big Three still being impact players, but they've got a ton of young pieces to compliment and eventually hand things over to. 

If the Dubs win the Championship, that may cement Steph as a Top 10 All-Time guy; that would give him GOAT shooter, 4 Championships and two without Durant, two MVPs, and then just the somewhat immeasurable way he changed the game. I think it would probably lock up number two PG behind Magic, at least for me. 

I'm a Steph guy, so you're preaching to the choir. As you said, a 4th title, and 2nd without Durant would absolutely cement his legacy and in my mind he'd be the 2nd best player of this generation behind LeBron. 

I also think he's changed the game more than anybody of the last 20-30 years. His impact has been immeasurable. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I'm a Steph guy, so you're preaching to the choir. As you said, a 4th title, and 2nd without Durant would absolutely cement his legacy and in my mind he'd be the 2nd best player of this generation behind LeBron. 

I also think he's changed the game more than anybody of the last 20-30 years. His impact has been immeasurable. 

Steph Curry is an all time great. With that said he's caused the number of ill-advised 3 point attempts by elementary kids to increase exponentially.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Still trying to figure out how this Dallas team beat an “all-time” great Phoenix squad…..outside of Luka I’m not sure there is another top 100 player in the league on this team. Very streaky and obviously a sum is greater than the parts team but man the Suns losing to them might just be one of the biggest choke jobs I’ve seen in my lifetime….so that’s the 80s til today.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Still trying to figure out how this Dallas team beat an “all-time” great Phoenix squad…..outside of Luka I’m not sure there is another top 100 player in the league on this team. Very streaky and obviously a sum is greater than the parts team but man the Suns losing to them might just be one of the biggest choke jobs I’ve seen in my lifetime….so that’s the 80s til today.

100% agree, it was an absolute choke job and I think the majority of the blame has to fall at CP3's feet. He was so pathetically bad in that series. 

• Like 2