NBA Thread

19 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

I might have given the NBA playoffs a look this year if the Finals had given us something new or unusual, like Phoenix or Memphis playing for a title. Instead, Golden State is going to be there again. Yawn. 

We are going to get a new team in the East and this will be a pretty different iteration of GSW, where as Phoenix was in the Finals last season….

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TheWatShot said:

I might have given the NBA playoffs a look this year if the Finals had given us something new or unusual, like Phoenix or Memphis playing for a title. Instead, Golden State is going to be there again. Yawn. 

I understand they aren’t new but I will say this about GS….it is VERY different style of basketball then basically all 29 other teams.  They do run a variation of motion offense. When KD was there it was very much more iso but they have gone back to running a ton more motion like they did 4-5 years ago and it is a joy to watch. They are older and not as talented (Klay/Steph) but it is definitely different than anything else being run in the NBA. Honestly this might be the last horrah for this brand of basketball. Kids even as young as HS aren’t being taught this. It’s get the ball in your best players hands and iso or screen for him. They don’t give the ball up and they don’t learn to play off the ball in college and learn to run 10 different ways off a screen by reading the defense.

The rest of the league is very much about ball screen and iso. I think you should appreciate GS for their unique brand of basketball. How many other teams in the league spend 20 seconds of their shot clock passing and cutting and a majority of that time with the ball never touching their two best shooters hands only until the last couple seconds? The contrast you see in Dallas is one star….dribbling for 20 seconds and never passing unless he can’t get a matchup he likes or if when he finally does get past his man someone comes over and helps. Rest of the time the guys just space the floor and basically stand around and watch. GS for me is pretty easy to appreciate….even if I’m not exactly a fan of their team. Like say the showtime Lakers of the 80s or any other team…might not been my team but you can appreciate the beauty of how they play.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

I understand they aren’t new but I will say this about GS….it is VERY different style of basketball then basically all 29 other teams.  They do run a variation of motion offense. When KD was there it was very much more iso but they have gone back to running a ton more motion like they did 4-5 years ago and it is a joy to watch. They are older and not as talented (Klay/Steph) but it is definitely different than anything else being run in the NBA. Honestly this might be the last horrah for this brand of basketball. Kids even as young as HS aren’t being taught this. It’s get the ball in your best players hands and iso or screen for him. They don’t give the ball up and they don’t learn to play off the ball in college and learn to run 10 different ways off a screen by reading the defense.

The rest of the league is very much about ball screen and iso. I think you should appreciate GS for their unique brand of basketball. How many other teams in the league spend 20 seconds of their shot clock passing and cutting and a majority of that time with the ball never touching their two best shooters hands only until the last couple seconds? The contrast you see in Dallas is one star….dribbling for 20 seconds and never passing unless he can’t get a matchup he likes or if when he finally does get past his man someone comes over and helps. Rest of the time the guys just space the floor and basically stand around and watch. GS for me is pretty easy to appreciate….even if I’m not exactly a fan of their team. Like say the showtime Lakers of the 80s or any other team…might not been my team but you can appreciate the beauty of how they play.

I’d actually say three of the four final teams play pretty good team basketball. Dallas is somewhat unique among this group with the amount they play through one guy. 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I’d actually say three of the four final teams play pretty good team basketball. Dallas is somewhat unique among this group with the amount they play through one guy. 

Indeed…Boston and Miami does do some unique things with some off ball movement…still at that they play primarily through their stars more so than say GS….whose PG literally gives up the ball a lot and runs off screens with their other shooters and guys slipping and running action out of the back side of it. When it’s clicking it’s nothing like what anyone else does. But I do agree…Boston and Miami do share the ball. Phoenix would do that quite a bit with Booker off the ball as well obviously but the actions GS runs is pretty special. Nice to see them go back to it after they had the KD years where I think they got too iso centric at times.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Robert Williams just makes a massive difference for the Celtics. Partly because he's so good, but also partly because it means Daniel Theis doesn't play. 

Pretty good the Celtics can be up by 23 after shooting 37 percent for the half.  Didn't watch much but the Celtics defense held Miami to 28 percent.  Also helps that the Celtics shot 26 free throws.

12 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Pretty good the Celtics can be up by 23 after shooting 37 percent for the half.  Didn't watch much but the Celtics defense held Miami to 28 percent.  Also helps that the Celtics shot 26 free throws.

The defense is much better when our 2nd Team All-Defense Center is playing. 

Miami needs to play basketball and stop fouling. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, MoyeCowbell said:

Warriors back in the NBA Finals. Have to be the favorites to win it all, no?

Agree. Boston has played the Warriors as well as any team over the last 5-6 years, but I think the Championship experience of the Warriors will be the difference. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, rico said:

"...guys are coming to the NBA who are not fundamentally sound. All they do is practice threes, lift weights, get tattoos, tweet and go on social media. That’s it.”

He'll get smoked for saying that, but I think it's hilarious...

...and has an element of truth to it.

• Like 1