NBA Thread

4 minutes ago, SawatchHoosier said:

The Scott Foster special 

Literally, every time the Celtics go up 13 Scott Foster just takes the game over. A crap charge call on Brown and then Tatum gets knocked to the ground on consecutive layup attempts and no calls. 

It's not just me...Every time the Celtics go up double digits the refs start taking over. 

I'm not saying the league or refs want Miami to win, I am saying they're determined to make this a close game and they've absolutely impacted what is happening here in a major way. 

47 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Y’all have the talent to win it, but you’re going to have to play better than you just did. Should be a fun series!

Yeah, I mean the Celtics have to play more consistent. With that said, Boston went through Durant/Kyrie, Giannis and the defending champs, and Jimmy and the Heat Culture. 

GS has looked a little better, but they've gone through a depleted Denver team, Memphis without Ja the last 2-3 games and then a sort of underdog Dallas team. 

Like I've said, I'd give GS the edge heading into this. I think they'll handle the moment better most likely with their experience. But the Celtics are tested now and have played the Warriors the best of any team since the start of their dynasty. 

5 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Thanks for putting up with me, everyone! Only 1 series left and then you won't have to hear me complain about Celtics games until next year! 

I'd love to know if Al Horford ever brought up his time with Coach Woodson in Atlanta? Player development,etc...

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I'd love to know if Al Horford ever brought up his time with Coach Woodson in Atlanta? Player development,etc...

I haven't heard him comment on it, but that doesn't mean anything. 

I'll tell you though, as great as it is for Tatum, Brown and Smart to get to the Finals and stop all the talk that they need to be broken up, Celtics fans are probably happiest for Al Horford. 

That guy deserves this. He's the ultimate pro, and a year ago it looked like his career was over. Just an amazing season for Al. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, BGleas said:

Yeah, I mean the Celtics have to play more consistent. With that said, Boston went through Durant/Kyrie, Giannis and the defending champs, and Jimmy and the Heat Culture. 

GS has looked a little better, but they've gone through a depleted Denver team, Memphis without Ja the last 2-3 games and then a sort of underdog Dallas team. 

Like I've said, I'd give GS the edge heading into this. I think they'll handle the moment better most likely with their experience. But the Celtics are tested now and have played the Warriors the best of any team since the start of their dynasty. 

Little biased?

Forgot to mention the disfunction regarding Brooklyn and the Simmons (no or net negative in return for Harden) drama, Bucks without 2nd best player entire series (Middleton), Heat injuries when making the road to the Finals comparison. 

Celtics have the best record since 2022 right? And have had their own injuries to deal with but don't think there is any reason to discount the Warriors path when comparing it to theirs. Both took care of business presented to them. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cybergates said:

Little biased?

Forgot to mention the disfunction regarding Brooklyn and the Simmons (no or net negative in return for Harden) drama, Bucks without 2nd best player entire series (Middleton), Heat injuries when making the road to the Finals comparison. 

Celtics have the best record since 2022 right? And have had their own injuries to deal with but don't think there is any reason to discount the Warriors path when comparing it to theirs. Both took care of business presented to them. 

Of course I'm biased. With that said, I don't think that was some crazy take I posted. 

Sure Brooklyn has a ton of issues, but teams in the East, including Milwaukee, we're tanking the last week of the season to avoid them in the first round, while Boston embraced it and kept winning to get the 2nd seed and because they wanted Brooklyn. Several media pundits even picked Brooklyn before the series. 

And yeah, Milwaukee was without Middleton and Miami was banged up, but I'm kind of tired of hearing about that. Marcus Smart has missed 3-4 games against Milwaukee and Miami and is clearly banged up and Robert Williams missed most of the Milwaukee series and a couple games against Miami and is clearly hobbling. Not to mention Horford missed Game 1 and White missed Game 2 against Miami. 

I'm a Golden State fan, have said all season if the Celtics don't win it, I want GS to win it. With that said, yes their road to the Finals was absolutely easier. It's not even really that close. 

19 hours ago, BGleas said:

To be clear, for the most part the Celtics have fouled, not arguing that. My issue is that Miami has been allowed to foul care free without any calls on them. 

As physical as Boston plays…do you expect anything different in the finals? They do play a physical brand of basketball which at first costs them early calls but by the end the refs start to let all that go.

I will agree especially with PJ Tucker that Miami got away with murder though. Not sure why nba officials let him ugly up the game like that. Overall it was just an ugly series. I expected Miami at home to get calls to keep it close…just the way it works…I didn’t expect the nba to deduct that 3 pointer like 5 mins after the fact though…so if anything shady was happening league office wouldn’t have done that lol. I will say if you didn’t like the calls in Miami I doubt you will like them in GS. They’ve always gotten a lot of calls.

16 minutes ago, dgambill said:

As physical as Boston plays…do you expect anything different in the finals? They do play a physical brand of basketball which at first costs them early calls but by the end the refs start to let all that go.

I will agree especially with PJ Tucker that Miami got away with murder though. Not sure why nba officials let him ugly up the game like that. Overall it was just an ugly series. I expected Miami at home to get calls to keep it close…just the way it works…I didn’t expect the nba to deduct that 3 pointer like 5 mins after the fact though…so if anything shady was happening league office wouldn’t have done that lol. I will say if you didn’t like the calls in Miami I doubt you will like them in GS. They’ve always gotten a lot of calls.

Miami plays just as physical, if not more. Like I said, I wasn't saying Boston wasn't fouling, but Miami was allowed to foul in ways that Boston wasn't. 

They also allowed Lowry to flop and flail like a complete clown out there and they kept giving him the calls. 

My other frustration is that Jayson Tatum doesn't get the same calls that guys like Butler, Ja, Giannis, Luka, Steph, Durant, etc., get. Butler got fouled a lot, not disputing that, be also basically dropped to the ground every time he shot the ball and constantly got these fake calls as well. 

Tatum doesn't get any of that. The offensive foul they called on him late in Game 6 was an absolute joke of a call. 

Again, I don't think the league or the refs were trying to get Miami to win or anything, but I do think they did whatever they could to make sure the game stayed close. Literally every time the Celtics went up double digits, which was probably 5+ times, all of the sudden every single touch by the Celtics was a foul and Miami would get called for nothing for about 5 minutes. 

20 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Miami plays just as physical, if not more. Like I said, I wasn't saying Boston wasn't fouling, but Miami was allowed to foul in ways that Boston wasn't. 

They also allowed Lowry to flop and flail like a complete clown out there and they kept giving him the calls. 

My other frustration is that Jayson Tatum doesn't get the same calls that guys like Butler, Ja, Giannis, Luka, Steph, Durant, etc., get. Butler got fouled a lot, not disputing that, be also basically dropped to the ground every time he shot the ball and constantly got these fake calls as well. 

Tatum doesn't get any of that. The offensive foul they called on him late in Game 6 was an absolute joke of a call. 

Again, I don't think the league or the refs were trying to get Miami to win or anything, but I do think they did whatever they could to make sure the game stayed close. Literally every time the Celtics went up double digits, which was probably 5+ times, all of the sudden every single touch by the Celtics was a foul and Miami would get called for nothing for about 5 minutes. 

No offense but I hardly think the media darling and the winningest franchise in NBA history has trouble getting calls. Personally I saw it go both ways. I saw Horford get away with a lot of physicality and pushes on Bam on his drives (two hands chucking to push him off his path) that didn’t get called because he isn’t the star either. I just think the refs let the whole series be muddled up. I do hate Lowry’s flopping and I hate now every player tries to stick their chin in and draw a charge on plays at the rim. Overall I just saw home teams get more calls which I despise…maybe that is the nba trying to draw out series I don’t know but these are the best officials in the world and it looks like college basketball a lot on these charge calls and it’s getting worse.

Butler has that bulldozer style game that forces the Refs to blow the whistle a lot (I personally like his tenacity and drive but don’t like his style of play). Tatum is a lot like Kobe…he plays a lot on the perimeter in the mid and 3 pt line. If he would have taken to the rim more like Butler did…he would have gotten as many calls as he wanted. He just falls in love with his jumper…And I can understand because how great a scorer he is but I think he is at his best when he is trying to get to the rim because he opens up the whole floor for his teammates and he gets those calls. I think the finals won’t be much different unless he gets to the rim.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, dgambill said:

No offense but I hardly think the media darling and the winningest franchise in NBA history has trouble getting calls. Personally I saw it go both ways. I saw Horford get away with a lot of physicality and pushes on Bam on his drives (two hands chucking to push him off his path) that didn’t get called because he isn’t the star either. I just think the refs let the whole series be muddled up. I do hate Lowry’s flopping and I hate now every player tries to stick their chin in and draw a charge on plays at the rim. Overall I just saw home teams get more calls which I despise…maybe that is the nba trying to draw out series I don’t know but these are the best officials in the world and it looks like college basketball a lot on these charge calls and it’s getting worse.

Butler has that bulldozer style game that forces the Refs to blow the whistle a lot (I personally like his tenacity and drive but don’t like his style of play). Tatum is a lot like Kobe…he plays a lot on the perimeter in the mid and 3 pt line. If he would have taken to the rim more like Butler did…he would have gotten as many calls as he wanted. He just falls in love with his jumper…And I can understand because how great a scorer he is but I think he is at his best when he is trying to get to the rim because he opens up the whole floor for his teammates and he gets those calls. I think the finals won’t be much different unless he gets to the rim.

I would argue Tatum doesn't drive as much because 1) he's a solid 3pt shooter vs Butler who is a bad 3pt shooter but 2) Tatum doesn't get calls. You can see him drive plenty and not get calls and then he begins settling. 

He attacked numerous times last night and didn't get the calls Butler was getting. 

Below is the play from Game 6. No way is Giannis, Butler, Ja, Steph, Luka, etc., etc., getting called for an offensive foul here. 

Actually, Butler had an almost mirror play last night in the 2nd half where he extended his arm worse than this and no call. 

Again, so I'm crystal clear, which I think I have been, I'm in no way saying the officiating was purposely against Boston so that Miami would win. I've said that numerous times. I do think the NBA wanted to make sure that game stayed close and I base that on the timing of the calls.