NBA Thread

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

I would argue Tatum doesn't drive as much because 1) he's a solid 3pt shooter vs Butler who is a bad 3pt shooter but 2) Tatum doesn't get calls. You can see him drive plenty and not get calls and then he begins settling. 

He attacked numerous times last night and didn't get the calls Butler was getting. 

Below is the play from Game 6. No way is Giannis, Butler, Ja, Steph, Luka, etc., etc., getting called for an offensive foul here. 

Actually, Butler had an almost mirror play last night in the 2nd half where he extended his arm worse than this and no call. 

Again, so I'm crystal clear, which I think I have been, I'm in no way saying the officiating was purposely against Boston so that Miami would win. I've said that numerous times. I do think the NBA wanted to make sure that game stayed close and I base that on the timing of the calls. 

I think the more he does it the more he earns that call. The more aggressive teams get calls. Always been that way. Got to keep doing it and force the refs to make the call. It’s what Butler does. And no doubt he is a great shooter so no need to drive all the time. I just like to see him stay aggressive because it keeps the defense honest and gives him even more room to get that jumper off.

No doubt It’s a bad call…see 20-30 a game both ways. You could post tons of these both ways every game. I just don’t see the point crying about it all the time. Just to be fair I’d say that about IU games all the time too…Even though the referees are 10x worse in college I generally don’t get too salty about it. I know the Celtics are very close to your heart given your time there but pointing out every single missed call just seems over the top. It’s a given there are going to be quite a few missed calls…just nature of sports. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

I hardly think the media darling and the winningest franchise in NBA history has trouble getting calls. Personally I saw it go both ways.

That's because you need these special eyeglasses.  Slip on a pair and soon you'll be seeing all fouls going against Boston, too.  Fun for the whole family!  BGleas has an NIL deal with them.

image.jpeg.ec45eb9c6a8018e1d3e3c7273988a484.jpeg

• Haha 3

26 minutes ago, Madison22 said:

That's because you need these special eyeglasses.  Slip on a pair and soon you'll be seeing all fouls going against Boston, too.  Fun for the whole family!  BGleas has an NIL deal with them.

image.jpeg.ec45eb9c6a8018e1d3e3c7273988a484.jpeg

To be fair I’ve worn a pair of Pacer ones for many years…they’ve just been bad for so long I haven’t bothered to dig them out of the drawer lol.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SawatchHoosier said:

@BGleas538 has Boston with an 80% chance of winning the finals. https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2022-nba-predictions/?ex_cid=rrpromo

I think they have a better than 50% chance. They are not a good matchup for GS because of their size at guard. Their defense is outstanding and they will get Wiggins off Tatum. Be interesting to see if GP2, Iggy, and Otto will be healthy….they could play a big role.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SawatchHoosier said:

@BGleas538 has Boston with an 80% chance of winning the finals. https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2022-nba-predictions/?ex_cid=rrpromo

I saw that earlier today. It's getting a lot of push back online. Apparently their model doesn't account for experience. Can't remember if it was Memphis or Dallas but they also had one of those teams with a 75% chance to be the Warriors. 

Vegas has the Warriors favored. 

I lean Warriors as the favorite, but I do think it will most likely be a really close 6 or 7 game series, assuming the moment isn't to big for the Celtics. 

• Like 1

Pacers looking to try to target multiple top 10 picks. Going to be aggressive to land multiple first round picks to jump start the rebuild….similar to how Pritchard moved up with Portland when landing Aldridge and Brandon Roy. I think they will not only try to land a second pick in the 8-12 range but will try to move up to 4 as well. I wouldn’t be shocked to see them move Turner and Brogdon both in efforts to get assets to pull it off.

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Pacers looking to try to target multiple top 10 picks. Going to be aggressive to land multiple first round picks to jump start the rebuild….similar to how Pritchard moved up with Portland when landing Aldridge and Brandon Roy. I think they will not only try to land a second pick in the 8-12 range but will try to move up to 4 as well. I wouldn’t be shocked to see them move Turner and Brogdon both in efforts to get assets to pull it off.

Would teams trade a top 10 pick for Turner or Brogdon. Love to get into the top 3 to get Smith or Bechero

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Would teams trade a top 10 pick for Turner or Brogdon. Love to get into the top 3 to get Smith or Bechero

I think we should watch Washington closely at 10. But I could see teams like Portland, Pelicans, Knicks, and Hornets all choosing help now as opposed to a young rookie.

I think the Pacers will try hard to swap with Kings….could be a player discussed as a part of the Sabonis trade that now we might move off to help the swap….only way we will get our guy (not from the big 3). I get the feeling Ivey is the target. Also could see them like to get a guy like Duran around 10 if they move Myles too. If they miss Ivey I think Murray and Mathurin would be likely.

Edited by dgambill

3 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I think we should watch Washington closely at 10. But I could see teams like Portland, Pelicans, Knicks, and Hornets all choosing help now as opposed to a young rookie.

Hornets has been linked to Turner a lot over the years. Maybe trade Turner to the Hornets for a first and Washington. Trade Brogdon to NO for the 8th pick. Package the Hornets pick and our 6th pick to OKC for the 3rd pick.

3- pick Jabari Smith.

8- Johnny Davis

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Hornets has been linked to Turner a lot over the years. Maybe trade Turner to the Hornets for a first and Washington. Trade Brogdon to NO for the 8th pick. Package the Hornets pick and our 6th pick to OKC for the 3rd pick.

3- pick Jabari Smith.

8- Johnny Davis

Jabari is going #1. OKC has #2 pick and will take Chet. Paulo is going #3 to Houston. None of those teams are moving off their pick. I think our goal would be to get to 4 and then have our choice of the rest. I’ve heard we are going to be very aggressive so I’m excited for the draft. Just happy we are going to go young and do a complete rebuild. I look at Pelicans/Suns get the right young talent and then later add the right veteran with cap space. Make some noise again.

12 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Jabari is going #1. OKC has #2 pick and will take Chet. Paulo is going #3 to Houston. None of those teams are moving off their pick. I think our goal would be to get to 4 and then have our choice of the rest. I’ve heard we are going to be very aggressive so I’m excited for the draft. Just happy we are going to go young and do a complete rebuild. I look at Pelicans/Suns get the right young talent and then later add the right veteran with cap space. Make some noise again.

I would like for the Pacers to be able to keep Jalen Smith because he showed a lot after the trade from the Sun's. It sounds like how the contract is that the Pacers can't offer more than 4.7 mil.

For some reason I thought OKC had the 3rd pick. If we can't get into the top 3 then just stay at 6 because to me the difference in players aren't that great between 4-6

Edited by IU Scott
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I would like for the Pacers to be able to keep Jalen Smith because he showed a lot after the trade from the Sun's. It sounds like how the contract is that the Pacers can't offer more than 4.7 mil.

For some reason I thought OKC had the 3rd pick. If we can't get into the top 3 then just stay at 6 because to me the difference in players aren't that great between 4-6

We can offer Smith a great role…he was buried in Phoenix…so if he wants a big payday and chance to break out a year here might be a better solution. I like him too. 
Yeah we aren’t getting Jalen or Chet so 4 would give us our choice of players after that group. I get the feeling the Pacers have a preference and are willing to move up to get that person if he isn’t going to fall to them.

8 minutes ago, dgambill said:

We can offer Smith a great role…he was buried in Phoenix…so if he wants a big payday and chance to break out a year here might be a better solution. I like him too. 
Yeah we aren’t getting Jalen or Chet so 4 would give us our choice of players after that group. I get the feeling the Pacers have a preference and are willing to move up to get that person if he isn’t going to fall to them.

Wonder how Ivey and Hailibourton would play together. Both seems to be best with the ball in their hands.

I heard on the radio that Pritchard likes where the Pacers are at #6, because the player they're getting is still elite enough to go that high, and presumably will have a chip on his shoulder b/c he felt he should have gone higher and several teams passed on him. Also stressed that they want someone who LOVES basketball, and they asked questions in as many ways as possible to try and determine that. I don't see them paying the price to move up 2 spots. Of course, this time of year everything said should be taken with a grain of salt.

It would be cool if they find a way to add a 2nd lottery pick and/or additional 1st rounders, but I'm also ok with giving as much experience as possible to whoever they add from this year, sucking/tanking for a high pick next year, CLE makes barely makes the playoffs like we hoped they would have this year giving us a high non-lottery pick, and rolling into 23-24 with a talented young roster ready to grow together.

Edited by cybergates
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, BGleas said:

Pretty cool stat for building the more organic way through the draft with your core. 

Even add in the 3rd cogs for each team (Smart and Draymond) and it remains accurate. 

FB_IMG_1654107700943.jpg

Dan Patrick has been praising the Celts' and Warriors' FOs for building through the draft.  Kind of funny concerning Boston, it seems like yesterday that blowing the Celts up was a hot topic.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, rico said:

Dan Patrick has been praising the Celts' and Warriors' FOs for building through the draft.  Kind of funny concerning Boston, it seems like yesterday that blowing the Celts up was a hot topic.

Here's one taking it even further. 

• Like 2

On 5/31/2022 at 8:51 PM, dgambill said:

Buddy Hield and McConnell could be moved as well depending on how the draft shakes out. The Pacers have plenty of options to add more draft capital come draft night. 

• Like 1