NBA Thread

On 5/31/2022 at 9:59 PM, IU Scott said:

Wonder how Ivey and Hailibourton would play together. Both seems to be best with the ball in their hands.

Ivey is a tough nut to crack. If he could get his head on straight to play team first basketball the sky would be the ceiling. His athleticism is off the charts. Not sure how it would work…but something tells me the Pacers would love to find out.

On 6/2/2022 at 10:52 AM, DC2345 said:

Buddy Hield and McConnell could be moved as well depending on how the draft shakes out. The Pacers have plenty of options to add more draft capital come draft night. 

If they can hold on to next years Cavs pick and add another lottery pick in the 8-11 range…I’d be thrilled. I’d love to go young and just have fun and then package Cavs plus ours next year to move up again. Brogdon/Turner will be highly sought after by teams wanting to get back into playoffs Washington/Knicks/Charlotte and teams looking to make a push like New Orleans/Dallas/Phoenix (if they let Ayton go could easily see someone give up picks to Indy and Suns get Brogdon to split time with Paul and Turner to replace Ayton) Not sure Heild will get delt til next year when he is expiring but could net a piece at trade deadline.

On 6/5/2022 at 12:53 PM, NotIThatLives said:

I meant in the history of the league.  But yeah, I don't think Kerr or Jackson are some coaching geniuses.  

I don’t think they’re not geniuses either.

Jackson won 11 titles and sure he had Jordan or Kobe for all of them, but how many Finals did those two make without Jackson?

I don’t really under how you could separate Kerr from the Warriors dynasty. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I don’t think they’re not geniuses either.

Jackson won 11 titles and sure he had Jordan or Kobe for all of them, but how many Finals did those two make without Jackson?

I don’t really under how you could separate Kerr from the Warriors dynasty. 

I'm pretty confident Mark Jackson would have won a championship the next year had he remained the coach.

I'm also pretty confident many other coaches would have done the same with the talent Jackson had. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

Dyson Daniels working out of indy this week.  He's 6'8" with a 6'11" wingspan.  Played in NBA Ignite last season and has been compared to Josh Giddey whom of which Indiana was high on

I have seen him listed at 6-6?

58 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

I'm pretty confident Mark Jackson would have won a championship the next year had he remained the coach.

I'm also pretty confident many other coaches would have done the same with the talent Jackson had. 

I am very confident Mark Jackson wouldn’t have won a championship. He did a good job of laying a defensive foundation but the Warriors offense exploded under Kerr, not Jackson, in large part because of the scheme.

And to the point about Phil, why didn’t other coaches even make the Finals with those two if they could have done what he did?

Edited by KoB2011

19 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I am very confident Mark Jackson wouldn’t have won a championship. He did a good job of laying a defensive foundation but the Warriors offense exploded under Kerr, not Jackson, in large part because of the scheme.

And to the point about Phil, why didn’t other coaches even make the Finals with those two if they could have done what he did?

Yup, in the one season from Jackson to Kerr the Warriors went from 12th in offensive rating to 2nd in the NBA in offensive rating. 

Their defense actually improved as well, from 4th in the league under Jackson to 1st in the league under Kerr. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Yup, in the one season from Jackson to Kerr the Warriors went from 12th in offensive rating to 2nd in the NBA in offensive rating. 

Their defense actually improved as well, from 4th in the league under Jackson to 1st in the league under Kerr. 

Exactly, and the offensive improvement happened because Kerr got Steph off the ball and running laps around the defense.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, dgambill said:

Ivey is a tough nut to crack. If he could get his head on straight to play team first basketball the sky would be the ceiling. His athleticism is off the charts. Not sure how it would work…but something tells me the Pacers would love to find out.

Ivey can get downhill, but he is a bit wild for my taste.  If he can harness it, he can be solid, but right now he reminds me of the young pitcher who can throw it 100 mph but doesn't know where the ball is going pitch to pitch.  There is more nuance to basketball than just running downhill first and asking questions later.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Ivey can get downhill, but he is a bit wild for my taste.  If he can harness it, he can be solid, but right now he reminds me of the young pitcher who can throw it 100 mph but doesn't know where the ball is going pitch to pitch.  There is more nuance to basketball than just running downhill first and asking questions later.

Honestly, he lacks basketball IQ and as you say, nuance.  He may be a great athlete, but his overall understanding of the game is lacking.  JMHO.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

I'd says its more complex than  either of us are making it.  Its a combination of the maturation of super stars entering their prime as well.  And some old guards aging out, 80s la/celtics, the bad boys.  Then the spurs.

I'd forgotten how long Phil coached at la and how much they won but I don't forget how stars would join them.  Shaq was still extremely dominant in the first 2 years.  Then a dominant at the time Dwight Howard.  Id have to dissect rosters but one year Kobe carried probably the worst supporting cast in nba history to a championship.  

2 hours ago, rico said:

I have seen him listed at 6-6?

He’s been listed anywhere from 6’6 to 6’8. Realistically he’s probably somewhere in the middle at around 6’7. The Pacer’s are high on Daniel’s so we’ll see if they go that way or do something else with pick #6. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Thinking it's a must win for Celtics tonight.  Anyone disagree?

I disagree. Would it makes things easier/better for the Celtics? Absolutely. But if you're saying tonight is must win, then you're essentially saying the next two are must win. 

Going back to GS up 3-1 would be amazing and ideal, but splitting these two home games doesn't mean it's over. 

10 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I disagree. Would it makes things easier/better for the Celtics? Absolutely. But if you're saying tonight is must win, then you're essentially saying the next two are must win. 

Going back to GS up 3-1 would be amazing and ideal, but splitting these two home games doesn't mean it's over. 

If the Celts give up home-court advantage, it's game over.  That said, tonight is even more important than Game 4.  The sooner the Warriors regain it, the less energy they expend to get it, the easier it will be for them to keep it.  

Edited by 5fouls

6 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

If the Celts give up home-court advantage, it's game over.  That said, tonight is even more important than Game 4.  The sooner the Warriors regain it, the less energy they expend to get it, the easier it will be for them to keep it.  

Meh. The Celtics have won 8 road games in these playoffs already, including one in GS. They lost Game 3 at home in the same situation against Miami and came back. They lost Game 5 at home against Milwaukee to go down 3-2 and came back. 

Again it's not ideal to lose tonight, but this is not 'must win.' Winning both these home games is the goal, but if they split there no difference between which game they win. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Meh. The Celtics have won 8 road games in these playoffs already, including one in GS. They lost Game 3 at home in the same situation against Miami and came back. They lost Game 5 at home against Milwaukee to go down 3-2 and came back. 

Again it's not ideal to lose tonight, but this is not 'must win.' Winning both these home games is the goal, but if they split there no difference between which game they win. 

Agreed both teams have won on the road. I wouldn’t be shocked to see multiple more road wins. Celtics turn off the turnover faucet they win the series. If Golden St gets multiple good games from Klay and Poole then equally worrisome. I wouldn’t be shocked to see these teams alternate wins the rest of the way.

6 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Agreed both teams have won on the road. I wouldn’t be shocked to see multiple more road wins. Celtics turn off the turnover faucet they win the series. If Golden St gets multiple good games from Klay and Poole then equally worrisome. I wouldn’t be shocked to see these teams alternate wins the rest of the way.

Completely agree. 

• Like 1