NBA Thread

17 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I'm not saying I want to trade him, but I think you just quietly see what's there. You'd need to get a true star in return. You don't even consider it unless it's for a bona-fide star. 

There most likely isn't anything there, I'm just saying you check. 

IMO Boston needs a true PG and John Wall looking like he might play in Houston.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BGleas said:

I'm not saying I want to trade him, but I think you just quietly see what's there. You'd need to get a true star in return. You don't even consider it unless it's for a bona-fide star. 

There most likely isn't anything there, I'm just saying you check. 

I just don’t know if it’s worth it. These guys are so young. You got 10 more years with them if you want. Not sure I could do it. Personally Smart would be who I move. Defensive player of the year was basically nullified by his opponent. He is good not great shooter. He doesn’t initiate offense. Doesn’t facilitate. Turns it over. Imo a pg that can facilitate and take the ball out of Brown and Tatums hands is necessary. I’m having a hard time finding that person…it was Chris Paul a couple years ago…not sure who now. Would you do a Jalen Brunson sign and trade deal with Mavs? They could use Smarts defense to play off of Luka more than Brunson off the bench. Probably have to be something of that level. I would have said Mike Conley a couple years ago too…but now he is mostly washed. I think more likely you run it back and look to sign say an Aaron Holiday/Tyus Jones/Ricky Rubio type. 

Would you look at John Wall if he gets bought out?

14 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I just don’t know if it’s worth it. These guys are so young. You got 10 more years with them if you want. Not sure I could do it. Personally Smart would be who I move. Defensive player of the year was basically nullified by his opponent. He is good not great shooter. He doesn’t initiate offense. Doesn’t facilitate. Turns it over. Imo a pg that can facilitate and take the ball out of Brown and Tatums hands is necessary. I’m having a hard time finding that person…it was Chris Paul a couple years ago…not sure who now. Would you do a Jalen Brunson sign and trade deal with Mavs? They could use Smarts defense to play off of Luka more than Brunson off the bench. Probably have to be something of that level. I would have said Mike Conley a couple years ago too…but now he is mostly washed. I think more likely you run it back and look to sign say an Aaron Holiday/Tyus Jones/Ricky Rubio type. 

Would you look at John Wall if he gets bought out?

Again, I'm not saying you trade him. I'm saying you just feel out what the market is. Probably not an improved return, but you never know. 

I'm not a John Wall guy, and that was before the injuries. I guess if he's just out there and available on the market you kick the tires. But, I'd be careful with it. Don't love it from a chemistry standpoint. 

I think the Celtics really just need to add depth. You can't have essentially a 7 man rotation, with no scorers off the bench. 

We basically had zero wings on the bench. Theis was unplayable and if Pritchard isn't hitting 3's he's unplayable. 

After the 8th guy on the roster, the Celtics are a G-League team. That can't happen again. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Again, I'm not saying you trade him. I'm saying you just feel out what the market is. Probably not an improved return, but you never know. 

I'm not a John Wall guy, and that was before the injuries. I guess if he's just out there and available on the market you kick the tires. But, I'd be careful with it. Don't love it from a chemistry standpoint. 

I think the Celtics really just need to add depth. You can't have essentially a 7 man rotation, with no scorers off the bench. 

We basically had zero wings on the bench. Theis was unplayable and if Pritchard isn't hitting 3's he's unplayable. 

After the 8th guy on the roster, the Celtics are a G-League team. That can't happen again. 

Here you go:  https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2022/06/top-50-nba-free-agents-of-2022.html

• Thanks 1

Per HoopsRumors:

• Speaking of Sharpe, he held a Zoom press conference on Friday and said he’d fit well with the Pacers if they use their lottery pick (No. 6 overall) on him. “I feel like I could really play with those guys just because they have good guys that can really handle the ball, play defense, switch on defense,” Sharpe said to The Indianapolis Star’s James Boyd and other media members. “I feel like I can score and really impact the game.” Sharpe is certainly not lacking in confidence. “I see myself being one of the greatest players to ever play the game of basketball,” he said.
  • Haha 2

32 minutes ago, rico said:

Per HoopsRumors:

• Speaking of Sharpe, he held a Zoom press conference on Friday and said he’d fit well with the Pacers if they use their lottery pick (No. 6 overall) on him. “I feel like I could really play with those guys just because they have good guys that can really handle the ball, play defense, switch on defense,” Sharpe said to The Indianapolis Star’s James Boyd and other media members. “I feel like I can score and really impact the game.” Sharpe is certainly not lacking in confidence. “I see myself being one of the greatest players to ever play the game of basketball,” he said.

There's a fine line between confidence and arrogance. Considering he's calling himself one of the greatest ever before even playing a single NBA game, I'd say Sharpe is way passed that line. 

2 hours ago, go_iu_bb said:

There's a fine line between confidence and arrogance. Considering he's calling himself one of the greatest ever before even playing a single NBA game, I'd say Sharpe is way passed that line. 

I'm sure Cal told him that his program was the quickest way to those NBA millions and the NBA Hall of Fame. :coffee:

Kings on the clock at 4.  If you are the Pacers which option you choosing:

1.) Trade Brogdon/6th pick and either Duarte or a future 1st for Kings pick at 4 and take Ivey?

2.) Draft one of Ivey(doubt he's there at 6), Murray, Mathurin, Sharpe and trade Brogdon to either Wizards or Knicks for picks 10 or 11.  Then select one of Griffin, Sochan, Daniels.   

I think Ivey will be good, really good, especially if he can nail down a consistent jumper.  I'd lean option 2 as it has a safer floor BUT Pacers never are this high in lottery so I feel as if they NEED to take the risk and if Ivey becomes a good role player then they tried.  I do not think there is much of a drop off from the group of Ivey, Murray, or Mathurin.  Sharpe is a major wild card but knowing my Pacers, they'll end up with Sharpe somehow  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

1.) Trade Brogdon/6th pick and either Duarte or a future 1st for Kings pick at 4 and take Ivey?

2.) Draft one of Ivey(doubt he's there at 6), Murray, Mathurin, Sharpe and trade Brogdon to either Wizards or Knicks for picks 10 or 11.  Then select one of Griffin, Sochan, Daniels.   

I think Ivey will be good, really good, especially if he can nail down a consistent jumper.  I'd lean option 2 as it has a safer floor BUT Pacers never are this high in lottery so I feel as if they NEED to take the risk and if Ivey becomes a good role player then they tried.  I do not think there is much of a drop off from the group of Ivey, Murray, or Mathurin.  Sharpe is a major wild card but knowing my Pacers, they'll end up with Sharpe somehow  

Number 2

On 6/19/2022 at 4:27 PM, FKIM01 said:

I'm sure Cal told him that his program was the quickest way to those NBA millions and the NBA Hall of Fame. :coffee:

I'm sure he did and then Sharpe apparently told Cal, I just need access to the gym and training facility. I don't need to actually play for you.

"I did talk to [coach John Calipari] about it, my coach, trainer, even my parents," Sharpe said. "But at the end of the day, it was my decision to not play."

So, the decision was made of Sharpe's own volition. And for him, it all boiled down to one thing: he knew he could still get better at basketball without playing.

"My thought process as an athlete, as a basketball player, was really just getting better," Sharpe said. "So I was just in the gym every day, working out. Really for me, whatever happened, I'd be ready for it."

Sharpe believes that he made progress during his lone year at Kentucky. So, he is more than comfortable with his decision to sit out the 2021-22 college basketball season.

"Like I said before, everything happens for a reason. So I really don't regret [not] playing," Sharpe said. "I mean, I'm working with NBA teams now. So I guess I did something right."

• Haha 1

On 6/20/2022 at 4:24 PM, rico said:

"in my opinion there were times when he wasn't even the best player on his team last season. "

To be fair to Ivey, Ethan Morton was on the same team.

• Haha 3

Wow, just Wow. What's the toughest thing you've had to overcome? Not playing for a year.

Why didn't you play for a year? To get ready for next season

Yeah, but why didn't you play? Best thing for me to get ready for next season

Have you talked to any NBA players about the transition to the NBA? Not really

Hasn't really played 5 on 5 since high school (of which there were three in three years)

Edited by 13th&Jackson
  • Confused 1

59 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Wow, just Wow. What's the toughest thing you've had to overcome? Not playing for a year.

Hasn't really played 5 on 5 since high school (of which there were three in three years)

Run run run. Maybe a high upside but too many question marks. I think it will be either Maturin or Daniels.  If both still there at 6 I could see them moving back to 8 to and work I'm Brogden as a trade piece to get a second lottery pick

also some high level ESPN guys saying Pacers and Magic are teams to watch in terms of moving up and flipping their 2nd rd picks to do so.  Pacers like a fair amount of guys near/at the back end of the lottery.  Package 31 and 58 along with maybe a player would get it done.  

Edited by dwtaylor1055

7 hours ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

2 and take Mathurin and Griffin. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Man, I know he's talented, but he sounds like a freaking head case to me.  Ben Simmons 2.0?  At least Ben played in college...

• Like 1