NBA Thread

On 6/22/2022 at 6:42 AM, dwtaylor1055 said:

Kings on the clock at 4.  If you are the Pacers which option you choosing:

1.) Trade Brogdon/6th pick and either Duarte or a future 1st for Kings pick at 4 and take Ivey?

2.) Draft one of Ivey(doubt he's there at 6), Murray, Mathurin, Sharpe and trade Brogdon to either Wizards or Knicks for picks 10 or 11.  Then select one of Griffin, Sochan, Daniels.   

I think Ivey will be good, really good, especially if he can nail down a consistent jumper.  I'd lean option 2 as it has a safer floor BUT Pacers never are this high in lottery so I feel as if they NEED to take the risk and if Ivey becomes a good role player then they tried.  I do not think there is much of a drop off from the group of Ivey, Murray, or Mathurin.  Sharpe is a major wild card but knowing my Pacers, they'll end up with Sharpe somehow  

Option 2. Have to get rid of Brogdon regardless. 

Edited by Stlboiler23
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, BGleas said:

🤣🤣

From what we’re hearing, his agents are trying to steer clear of the shit show that is Sacramento lol. His agency represents Halliburton, Ivey, and Davison Mitchell so they’ve seen firsthand how bad the Kings FO is. Ivey didn’t even meet with the Kings before the draft so I don’t think it’ll happen but who knows. 

1 minute ago, Stlboiler23 said:

From what we’re hearing, his agents are trying to steer clear of the shit show that is Sacramento lol. His agency represents Halliburton, Ivey, and Davison Mitchell so they’ve seen firsthand how bad the Kings FO is. Ivey didn’t even meet with the Kings before the draft so I don’t think it’ll happen but who knows. 

I don't think he really has much leverage here. Sacto is going to draft him if they want him. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Purdue7 said:

Just for fun/torture:

pacers pick was used to take:

bernard king 👑 

Jordan 

Leonard 

We won’t talk about Robie over Bird

Being a Celtics fan, I can't really complain much on this front, but if there is a recent one to complain about...

The Celtics took Kelly Olynyk at #13, two spots ahead of Giannis! 

Remember, Tatum and Brown were taken with Brooklyn's picks a couple years later, so even getting Giannis would not have stopped the Celtics from still getting Tatum and Brown. 

🤦‍♂️

9 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

The reason they took Robie over Bird is the worst part of the story

Other teams past on Bird as well and the Celtics drafted him even though he still had one more year in college.  They were willing to wait the year for Bird where the Pacers couldn't afford to.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

Other teams past on Bird as well and the Celtics drafted him even though he still had one more year in college.  They were willing to wait the year for Bird where the Pacers couldn't afford to.

The Pacers were more worried about not being able to pay him down the road. Season tix would have covered that I would think

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

That’s a fair point. I do wonder what his agents can do to prevent him from going there. 

I mean, I guess he can refuse to report, but 1) I'm not sure Jaden Ivey has that kind of pull and 2) when was the last time an NBA draft pick did that?

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

The Pacers were more worried about not being able to pay him down the road. Season tix would have covered that I would think

I thought it was the fact the Place s couldn't wait a year until their draft pick could play.  If you could draft guys before they even are eligible wonder why more teams didn't do what the Celtics did with Bird.

49 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I thought it was the fact the Place s couldn't wait a year until their draft pick could play.  If you could draft guys before they even are eligible wonder why more teams didn't do what the Celtics did with Bird.

Other team's general managers/presidents didn't have the stones, foresight, or eye for talent that Red Auerbach did.

And they also don't have the 16 NBA Championships Red had a hand in... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Nancy and Slick both wanted Bird. He was GM, she was asst GM. The board said that they couldn't afford Bird because they knew he would be very good and would want more money. None of the guys on the board were basketball people. Slick was livid. He went to Terre Haute about a dozen times to see Bird before the draft.

This was all right after the Leonard's had the telethon to save the team

• Thanks 1