NBA Thread

9 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Aside from being tall and white, I don't recall much of any similarity in their games.  Holmgren seems light years ahead of Shawn Bradly in shooting, ball handling and athleticism.  Bradley was a good player, but he was pretty much a traditional post player who was very tall.

Not much similarity at all other than tall white and shoot some 3's. He seems to play with a chip on his shoulder for sure. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DC2345 said:

I fully expect something to happen on Saturday with Ayton and the Pacers. Whether he signs an offer sheet or there is a sign and trade. 

I’d be shocked if Suns let him walk. I think they will match. He is their only avenue to land KD or another star in a multi-team deal. I can’t see them just letting him walk or swapping him for Turner. Honestly I’d be upset if the Pacers sign him. This trying desperately to be mediocre team is disgusting. You don’t do all this work to tear the team down to give away all your cap flexibility (which is how you take on contracts for picks) for an over priced center…in a league that undervalues centers.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I’d be shocked if Suns let him walk. I think they will match. He is their only avenue to land KD or another star in a multi-team deal. I can’t see them just letting him walk or swapping him for Turner. Honestly I’d be upset if the Pacers sign him. This trying desperately to be mediocre team is disgusting. You don’t do all this work to tear the team down to give away all your cap flexibility (which is how you take on contracts for picks) for an over priced center…in a league that undervalues centers.

Ayton is only 24 and had a very good year last year and was good in the finals. If some how they trade Turner to get him then they would still have cap space.

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

If the Pacers offer him a max they are in a bind because they won’t be able to trade him for some time and neither party wants him to remain in Phoenix. The Pacers could cause a serious problem for their pursuit of KD. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Ayton is only 24 and had a very good year last year and was good in the finals. If some how they trade Turner to get him then they would still have cap space.

Yep and there is still the chance of a Hield trade as well. 

1 hour ago, rico said:

I also "heard" that the Lakers are interested in Hield.

They are. They’re supposedly meeting with the Nets during the summer league and if they can’t get a trade for Kyrie worked out then the Lakers are going to shift their attention towards Buddy Hield or Eric Gordon. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

So why don’t the Suns who drafted him #1 want to keep him? He should be a corner stone of their franchise with Booker. The deal is what he gives you is replaceable. You can sign a couple 5 million dollar centers that give you 8 and 5 and do the same thing. Also he has a gaming addiction and sleeps as little as 3-4 hours a night. He isn’t motivated to be great. Basketball is a job for him…not his passion. Sorry…if he was a gym rat that loved the game I’d be 100% on board….but if Monte Williams has trouble motivating him then I want no part of him.

21 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

They are. They’re supposedly meeting with the Nets during the summer league and if they can’t get a trade for Kyrie worked out then the Lakers are going to shift their attention towards Buddy Hield or Eric Gordon. 

I’d move him to the lakers….as long as we don’t end up with anyone on their roster. We need wings. We have way too many guards. Get a 3rd team involved that wants one of their pieces (say THT and Nunn) and will send us a wing/or pick.

Edited by dgambill

14 minutes ago, dgambill said:

So why don’t the Suns who drafted him #1 want to keep him? He should be a corner stone of their franchise with Booker. The deal is what he gives you is replaceable. You can sign a couple 5 million dollar centers that give you 8 and 5 and do the same thing. Also he has a gaming addiction and sleeps as little as 3-4 hours a night. He isn’t motivated to be great. Basketball is a job for him…not his passion. Sorry…if he was a gym rat that loved the game I’d be 100% on board….but if Monte Williams has trouble motivating him then I want no part of him.

My take on Ayton is that from an on court stand point he compliments Smith and Haliburton better than Myles because he is much better in the pick and role. Myles is terrible at that. His contract would be expensive but it would be at the end of it by the time you need it off the books to pay other guys and he is an upgrade over Turner. Do I think he would make a huge difference in total wins and loses next year? Probably not but he provides a skill set and experience in the league that the Pacers don’t have much of. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

My take on Ayton is that from an on court stand point he compliments Smith and Haliburton better than Myles because he is much better in the pick and role. Myles is terrible at that. His contract would be expensive but it would be at the end of it by the time you need it off the books to pay other guys and he is an upgrade over Turner. Do I think he would make a huge difference in total wins and loses next year? Probably not but he provides a skill set and experience in the league that the Pacers don’t have much of. 

Of course he is better than what we have. This team needs a cornerstone player to build around. We are gathering some good young pieces but unfortunately we need to bottom out and especially next offseason. Adding Ayton likely puts us around the 10-14 range in the draft. Not good enough to win playoff games but not bad enough to get good lottery picks. If we can land another top 5 pick plus the extra picks we have or could acquire then we would be better positioned to add talent in free agency next offseason. Sadly if it was next offseason Ayton might be a better fit but he doesn’t make sense right now. I mean why didn’t Detroit or OKC or Houston go after him with their cap space…it just doesn’t make sense in building their team…and if we are smart it wouldn’t be part of our plan either….and that’s saying you believe in the guy…I don’t even believe he brings 30 million a year value to a team.

Edited by dgambill

53 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Of course he is better than what we have. This team needs a cornerstone player to build around. We are gathering some good young pieces but unfortunately we need to bottom out and especially next offseason. Adding Ayton likely puts us around the 10-14 range in the draft. Not good enough to win playoff games but not bad enough to get good lottery picks. If we can land another top 5 pick plus the extra picks we have or could acquire then we would be better positioned to add talent in free agency next offseason. Sadly if it was next offseason Ayton might be a better fit but he doesn’t make sense right now. I mean why didn’t Detroit or OKC or Houston go after him with their cap space…it just doesn’t make sense in building their team…and if we are smart it wouldn’t be part of our plan either….and that’s saying you believe in the guy…I don’t even believe he brings 30 million a year value to a team.

I don't know that Ayton, Haliburton, and Mathurin can't be one of the better young trios in the league. Are any of them future top 10 players? I don't really think so.

Do I think all of them have upside to be top 30 players? I personally do. Obviously Mathurin hasn't played a game, but I don't think it's a stretch at all to say Ayton and Haliburton have shown enough to project them as multiple time All-Stars at this point. Factor in some of the other guys like IJax, Smith, and Duarte and I think we would be in an amazing position. 

I think those 6, plus the draft picks we have coming in next year and then potentially looking at something like shipping off Turner and Hield for Westbrook and THT (and maybe the Lakers '27 FRP) or something with the Lakers and Nets as the third team in a Kyrie deal can really put us in a great position. I also think the fit of a closing lineup of Hali, Ben, Duarte, Smith and Ayton could be a really tough to handle lineup; it has size, shooting, one of the best distributing PGs in the league

• Like 1

I think the Ps have a very young solid core to build around in Hali, Mathurin and Duarte.  Shoot include Smith and Jackson if you wish.  If Ayton takes Hali to the next level, that is a win for us, this team is so high on Hali we NEED him to reach is max potential.  We have 3 1st rd picks next year, shoot maybe even another one should we move one of Hield or Turner.  Next years class is deep, no reason why they couldn't package alot of our picks and move into say the top 5 at a minimum.  Pair that top 5 kid with say Hali, Mathurin, Duarte, Jax, Smith and Ayton and you got a serious squad for years to come.  

Edited by dwtaylor1055
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

I am a little surprised that the Rockets turned down teams wanting to give up a 1st round pick for Eric. I know he serves a valuable need, its nice to see that many still think he has a lot of value

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/report-rockets-declined-eric-gordon-191246277.html

I think it’s more about wanting a first in a different draft (which they’ll probably get now that they have waited). 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I think it’s more about wanting a first in a different draft (which they’ll probably get now that they have waited). 

You are correct, I was just still a little surprised that so many teams would offer up a 1st. Probably most in the last 10 or so, but for a guy 33 with the injuries he is still valuable.

• Like 1

Per CBS:

The Indiana Pacers didn't get a huge haul for Brogdon, but the trade is clarifying: It's Tyrese Haliburton's team to run, and there will be plenty of playing time available for second-year guard Chris Duarte and rookie Bennedict Mathurin on the wing, particularly if Buddy Hield is traded next. It's unclear how large a role Aaron Nesmith, drafted No. 14 in 2020, will play, but at the very least he'll get a fresh start.

• Like 1