NBA Thread

Honestly, why is the officiating so God awful this season?

i’m not A Raptors fan, but for any watching the game tonight, how can the refs actually review DeRozan’s block and give him a flagrant 2 on what was OBVIOUSLY a play for the ball coming from behind to try to prevent the bucket. There was zero basis for any finding of intent. Even the announcer was basically shocked after saying at worst it was a flagrant 1. What the heck is wrong with the officiating? It’s just horrible 

2 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Honestly, why is the officiating so God awful this season?

i’m not A Raptors fan, but for any watching the game tonight, how can the refs actually review DeRozan’s block and give him a flagrant 2 on what was OBVIOUSLY a play for the ball coming from behind to try to prevent the bucket. There was zero basis for any finding of intent. Even the announcer was basically shocked after saying at worst it was a flagrant 1. What the heck is wrong with the officiating? It’s just horrible 

Probably just felt bad for DeRozan and wanted to put him out of his misery.  Merciful.

On 5/6/2018 at 1:36 PM, BGleas said:

Agree. Stevens has to win some titles before passing what Pop has done. I got ahead of myself there. I was probably just thinking Pop is sort of on his way out in the next few years. 

Thought of this discussion when I heard not one of the other coaches gave him a vote for COY this season - http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23455672/brad-stevens-coach-boston-celtics-downplays-not-receiving-single-vote-peers-coach-year-award

Kind of makes me go, uh, what? He definitely deserved some votes -- each coach only got one vote, so I can see how it's possible he was a number of coaches' #2 pick or whatever. But still. Coaches who got a vote: 

Brett Brown

D'Antoni

Pop

McMillan 

Rivers (... over Stevens, this year? Did he vote for himself?)

Snyder

Stotts

Will be interesting to compare the media's picks.

I loved his response:

"The way that thing works is you get one vote. And I'm telling you, I looked at the sheet and there's no way that I would have voted for me over any of the other 29 people," Stevens said. "And the guy that should have won got it. And the other guys that got votes, they're unbelievable.

"I'm stealing from those guys all the time. It's so incredible to have an opportunity to be one of 30. And I think it's a lot more important to just focus on competing with your team rather than trying to compare yourself to others. Because I'm telling you, if it gets to be a comparison contest, I'm screwed."

How much of that is sincere Stevens, and how much of it is tongue in cheek? Great response.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Thought of this discussion when I heard not one of the other coaches gave him a vote for COY this season - http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23455672/brad-stevens-coach-boston-celtics-downplays-not-receiving-single-vote-peers-coach-year-award

Kind of makes me go, uh, what? He definitely deserved some votes -- each coach only got one vote, so I can see how it's possible he was a number of coaches' #2 pick or whatever. But still. Coaches who got a vote: 

Brett Brown

D'Antoni

Pop

McMillan 

Rivers (... over Stevens, this year? Did he vote for himself?)

Snyder

Stotts

Will be interesting to compare the media's picks.

I loved his response:

"The way that thing works is you get one vote. And I'm telling you, I looked at the sheet and there's no way that I would have voted for me over any of the other 29 people," Stevens said. "And the guy that should have won got it. And the other guys that got votes, they're unbelievable.

"I'm stealing from those guys all the time. It's so incredible to have an opportunity to be one of 30. And I think it's a lot more important to just focus on competing with your team rather than trying to compare yourself to others. Because I'm telling you, if it gets to be a comparison contest, I'm screwed."

How much of that is sincere Stevens, and how much of it is tongue in cheek? Great response.

Yeah, pretty ridiculous he didn’t get a vote, especially given that Terry Stouts got one? Really, if you watch the Celtics at all the guy is incredible. 

What a shocker the final 4 teams left in the playoffs was what was projected before the season started.  To me this is a problem I have with the NBA is it is to predictable and not much suspense  in the playoffs.  Was there some good games yes, but I just don't get as much enjoyment with no upsets in them.

41 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

What a shocker the final 4 teams left in the playoffs was what was projected before the season started.  To me this is a problem I have with the NBA is it is to predictable and not much suspense  in the playoffs.  Was there some good games yes, but I just don't get as much enjoyment with no upsets in them.

You have a point as yes those were the 4 favored teams at the beginning of the season, but the point also has some flaws. The Celtics were not favored in their series with the Sixers, and actually through the first 4 games (I didn’t see who was favored going into last night) were not favored to win any of the games. 

^^ And then there's the point that the college model, with the NCAA tourney one-and-out tourney, and the NBA model, with 7-game series in which the better team SHOULD win, are simply different. 

If your focus in on upsets, then college ball will be more appealing. 

For me, there is much to love in both (the level of basketball in the NBA is so much higher than college ball, it's close to the difference between high school and college ball), and there's much to complain about in both (the level of cheating in college ball, the impact of agents, the dirty college programs -- the same programs that often win it all, e.g., UNC, and in the NBA, the level of control star players have, the ridiculously bad and sometimes blatantly obvious favoratist officiating, etc. 

To each his own, it's a matter of preference

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

^^ And then there's the point that the college model, with the NCAA tourney one-and-out tourney, and the NBA model, with 7-game series in which the better team SHOULD win, are simply different. 

For me, there is much to love in both (the level of basketball in the NBA is so much higher than college ball, it's close to the difference between high school and college ball), and there's much to complain about in both (the level of cheating in college ball, the impact of agents, the dirty college programs -- the same programs that often win it all, e.g., UNC, and in the NBA, the level of control star players have, the ridiculously bad and sometimes blatantly obvious favoratist officiating, etc. 

This. It's basic math.

And you could take it even farther and say that, in reality, because the sample size is larger, whoever ends the regular season with the best record is the best team.

21 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Completely agree! I love both college and the NBA, and there are things to love and dislike about both. In the NBA I love watching the absolute best basketball players in the world. The skill level is unmatched and not even close. I realize in the NBA that the regular season can get boring, but how is that any different than the first 10 or so games when IU plays against Florida Atlantic and South Carolina Central State?

I love the pageantry of college basketball, the school pride, seeing the players grow over their time in school, arguing with fans of other programs, and of course the Tournament, etc., etc., but at the same time sometimes the lack of skill (think Wisconsin winning games 56-47) can be frustrating and not as fun. 

Good things about both, and of course reasons to dislike both. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

This is generally true in football (NFL and NCAA) as well. I'll go ahead and assume you don't like football. 

9 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

This is generally true in football (NFL and NCAA) as well. I'll go ahead and assume you don't like football. 

Nope I like football.  Another thing I like the one and done format over a best of 7 series which to me makes the playoffs to long.

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Nope I like football.  Another thing I like the one and done format over a best of 7 series which to me makes the playoffs to long.

Got it. So you don't like the NBA because it is "predictable", but don't care that football is. And you also don't like the NBA because the series are too long, but you do like baseball. 

It almost just seems like you don't like the NBA despite how often you post about it. 

5 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Got it. So you don't like the NBA because it is "predictable", but don't care that football is. And you also don't like the NBA because the series are too long, but you do like baseball. 

It almost just seems like you don't like the NBA despite how often you post about it. 

I give or take baseball and really don't watch much of it besides the Reds.  I just don't think the NBA is what it used to be and I use to really love the NBA back in the 80's when I grew up.  I  remember when I was a kid staying up late watching playoff games out West that started around 11:00PM.  I just don't like the NBA of today like I use to and just have a hard time getting into it.

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I give or take baseball and really don't watch much of it besides the Reds.  I just don't think the NBA is what it used to be and I use to really love the NBA back in the 80's when I grew up.  I  remember when I was a kid staying up late watching playoff games out West that started around 11:00PM.  I just don't like the NBA of today like I use to and just have a hard time getting into it.

Then don't watch it or talk about it? I don't like Cricket, you don't see me letting everyone know every chance I get. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

So, you are saying that you enjoyed it in the 80's when pretty much 3 teams dominated?  And I am being kind when I say 3.  It was really 2.  Celtics and the Lakers, but I will throw Philly a bone.  

48 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Everyone has their own likes and dislikes of course, I'll just say that as a diehard basketball fan and NBA fans, the NBA the last 8-10 years is as good as it's been since the 80's IMO. 

37 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Everyone has their own likes and dislikes of course, I'll just say that as a diehard basketball fan and NBA fans, the NBA the last 8-10 years is as good as it's been since the 80's IMO. 

As I alluded to up above about the teams.  It is better today than it was in the 80's.  But it would be ironic if the Celtics and the Rockets met in the championship.  The 80's all over again!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rico said:

So, you are saying that you enjoyed it in the 80's when pretty much 3 teams dominated?  And I am being kind when I say 3.  It was really 2.  Celtics and the Lakers, but I will throw Philly a bone.  

You had Houston, Milwaukee, and some other good teams and it also had to do with the style of the play in the 80's that I enjoyed more.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

You had Houston, Milwaukee, and some other good teams and it also had to do with the style of the play in the 80's that I enjoyed more.

Again it's all completely subjective, you like and dislike what you like and dislike, and there's nothing wrong with that. 

There's some great ball going on in the NBA right now, though :cheers:

4 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Again it's all completely subjective, you like and dislike what you like and dislike, and there's nothing wrong with that. 

There's some great ball going on in the NBA right now, though :cheers:

I like watching the Pacers but I have probably not watched over a quarter of any game since the Pacers were eliminated.  I watched the last 5 minutes of the Celtics game last night.  I don't know what it is but for some reason I just don't enjoy watching the NBA like I use to and really don't know the reason why.  Maybe being a longtime Pacer fan and seeing how we have been screwed by the NBA for years.  I alo don't like how the players are pretty much getting together and deciding where they will play and making super teams.  It started with the kids going straight to the NBA and diluting the product as well as to many expansions that further diluted the product.

9 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I like watching the Pacers but I have probably not watched over a quarter of any game since the Pacers were eliminated.  I watched the last 5 minutes of the Celtics game last night.  I don't know what it is but for some reason I just don't enjoy watching the NBA like I use to and really don't know the reason why.  Maybe being a longtime Pacer fan and seeing how we have been screwed by the NBA for years.  I alo don't like how the players are pretty much getting together and deciding where they will play and making super teams.  It started with the kids going straight to the NBA and diluting the product as well as to many expansions that further diluted the product.

As HH said, everyone is certainly welcome to like/dislike as they please. It would be pretty boring if we all aligned on everything.

The last 5 minutes of the Celtics game was fantastic last night, as was the overtime game 3, and several of their close games with the Bucks. There were some good games in the Cavs-Raptors series as well. Not sure how the NBA has screwed the Pacers for years? 

Sounds to me that you're a Pacers fan, not an NBA fan. Nothing wrong with that at all of course, but it's like how some people are IU fans, not really college basketball fans. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

As HH said, everyone is certainly welcome to like/dislike as they please. It would be pretty boring if we all aligned on everything.

The last 5 minutes of the Celtics game was fantastic last night, as was the overtime game 3, and several of their close games with the Bucks. There were some good games in the Cavs-Raptors series as well. Not sure how the NBA has screwed the Pacers for years? 

Sounds to me that you're a Pacers fan, not an NBA fan. Nothing wrong with that at all of course, but it's like how some people are IU fans, not really college basketball fans. 

Maybe I am now but in the past I loved the NBA.  I remember the great game the Celtics and Hawks played where Bird and Wilkens went head to head in the 4th quarter of game 7.  Remember Jordan scoring 63 against the Celtics but still lost the game and the series.  Back then besides the Pavers I was a huge Lakers fan because of Magic and I stayed up and watched all of their playoff games.

To me with all sports one thing I find is that for me there might be to much on TV and it makes it feel less special.  When I was growing up and you only had 4 channels there were not that much sports on during the week.  It made those Sunday afternoon NBA games on CBS feel like they were special and it was a treat to get to watch them.  Back then you only got to watch the local teams most of the time and got very little national games especially during the regular season.