NBA Thread

4 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

^^ Yeah those are such great rankings all around, I'm sure you agree with all of them. :D

"Since 2012-13, the only perimeter player with more defensive win shares is two-time NBA Defensive Player of the Year Kawhi Leonard."

Butler at 11. Draymond at 10. Naah.   

Lol not trying to have the PG debate, just had to get my cheap shot in. You already know my response would be that most of the win shares came before the injury. 

• Thanks 1

heard about that move earlier today, immediate reaction: wow! 

then I started thinking about it. Melo's headed towards the end of his career, and doesn't play D. I don't think this is a good move in the direction of keeping PG, and Kanter can play. It is definitely a good move to get people in the seats -- PG, Westbrook and Melo together should create some fire power -- but then Melo also wants the ball in his hands, and good question about the chemistry. Westbrook and PG would be largely dominating possessions, adding Melo.... Will be interesting to see if / how they gel.

42 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

heard about that move earlier today, immediate reaction: wow! 

then I started thinking about it. Melo's headed towards the end of his career, and doesn't play D. I don't think this is a good move in the direction of keeping PG, and Kanter can play. It is definitely a good move to get people in the seats -- PG, Westbrook and Melo together should create some fire power -- but then Melo also wants the ball in his hands, and good question about the chemistry. Westbrook and PG would be largely dominating possessions, adding Melo.... Will be interesting to see if / how they gel.

Regardless of the questions about chemistry, I think Melo is clearly more valuable than Kanter and McDermott.

5 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Melo to OKC for Kanter, McDermott, and the Bulls' 2018 second rounder.  Who knows if these moves will work out for OKC, but you have to respect Sam Presti for swinging for the fences.  Turned Vic, Sabonas, Kanter, and McDermott into PG and Melo.  Good summer for them. 

Well by next summer when PG and Westbrook is in LA it will look like some stupid moves.

15 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Well by next summer when PG and Westbrook is in LA it will look like some stupid moves.

Even if that does end up happening, they will still be smart moves.  Presti flipped four scrubs and a second round pick for two All Star-level players.  He's put the Thunder in position to compete with the Warriors next year, and he's shown Westbrook that the organization is committed to building a good team around him.  

With Westbrook's contract expiring after this season, these moves are the best way to try to convince him to stay.  If this season goes well, there's a good chance he will re-sign.  If he decides not to re-sign, the Thunder were going to be garbage without him anyway, and then it's time to rebuild.  They won't really miss any of the players they gave up to get PG and Melo.

• Like 1

Heard this interview, quoted here -- PG and Melo were part of a done deal to Cleveland, for draft night, but then got called off on draft night -- appears Cleveland pulled the plug. 

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/20848842/carmelo-anthony-talks-oklahoma-city-thunder-trade-nixed-houston-rockets-cleveland-cavaliers-swaps

First time for me opening up this thread, as the title says Hoosiers in the NBA.  However, I see you guys talking more about the NBA, than Hoosiers, so I will go ahead and post this, somewhat IU related topic.

Woke up this a.m. to see this tease on the front page of the Denver Post sports page :  "Veteran center Mason Plumlee happy to settle in Denver after signing multiyear contract.7B"

Then when I read the story, I discovered Mason was already a Nugget, and had just signed an extension.  Goes to show you how much I follow the NBA !  LOL

Anyway, I am sure many of you, just like me, followed the recruitments of Mason and his brothers.  Though their dad sent them out of state to hone their game, many of us followed them before college in the hopes that, at least one of them would become a Hoosier, because of their Indiana ties.  

Mason Plumlee happy to settle in Denver after signing multiyear deal – The Denver Post

There was a lot of talk here that Westbrook, in inking a short-term deal last year, was going to leave the Thunder and that he and PG were likely to the Lakers next summer. 

Now, with Westbrook inking a 5-year deal, the largest in NBA history, the landscape for next summer just changed and probably significantly. What a development for the Thunder, after so recently losing Durant. PG now saying that Westbrook's decision definitely will play a big role in his decision next summer. Will Melo back off his high ball usage to play more of a facilitator role? Can he be somewhat like Bosh was with Wade and LeBron (different stages of career, but maybe somewhat comparable to how to succeed)?

How will "I have to be the Man" Kyrie do, and Hayward in Boston? Will they be better, or worse, or end up basically the same? How important was IT to Boston's success?

How is IT's hip? How will he do in Cleveland, and what kind of role and impact will Wade play now that he's rejoined LeBron? Will Wade be the man off the bench, or will he demand a starting role? Or will Rose be the backup point with IT starting at as primary handler? Will that team be better or worse after Kyrie? 

And what about CPIII with Harden and the Rockets? Will CPIII move to more of a shooting guard role, or will Harden slide back? Which one of them can play less with the ball in their hands? My pick there - CPIII, don't think Harden can relinquish his demand to have the ball in his hands particularly in the 4th, but we'll see. Will that work out? Are the Rockets now ready to challenge the Warriors? Can anyone actually challenge the Warriors? 

Will the Spurs somehow remain a top 3-5 team despite that seemingly bad off-season, or will they now drop a bit? Can Pop work his usual magic?

What about Butler and company in Minn? Is that team now ready to challenge for top 5-10 in the League?

Is Lonzo Ball going to show he can develop a consistent shot at the NBA level, or will his weird and low shot form catch up to him? Will the Lakers under Magic start to show that showtime play again, with Ball, or is this all more form over substance? Can the Lakers lure PG and possibly LeBron next season? 

Really interesting season coming

I'll come fess up and say I was one that gave it about a 3% chance of Westbrook staying.  I wonder how much Durant looking like a douchebag played into his decision?  It will still be an interesting season with all the things you pointed out.  Questions concerning pacers.  Do they find a way to stay competitive?  Seems tanking is not in the DNA.  Do any of these young players with potential now blossom with more responsibility?  

I'll go on record and say the pg still goes to la however one injury on the warriors and okc could be right there at the end of the year.  

^^ I can't see how the Pacers will be competitive any time soon. Most are projecting the P's as the second to worst, or close to it, team in the NBA next season.

Bird really ruined the Pacers. It's such a shame, they had real promise, but he managed to trade away or lose almost everyone, pissed off his key players, and lost the P's franchise player in the process. I'm sorry, but he's truly an idiot, and an incredibly stubborn one at that. Then he ran out the door, knowing that PG was going to leave. 

Turner might become a legit all star. He has the makings of one, his numbers are certainly there at this stage of his young career. But he is nowhere close to carrying that team as a playoff team. I'm very interested to see how Vic fits in, and whether he can take the next step in his young NBA career to show he can be a consistent, legit high-level NBA player. He was starting to show it, but it didn't work out for him with Westbrook. I don't think he's ready to be a key piece in a contending team, but I do think he has the potential to be one. Maybe a Lou Williams type, or an EJ type down the road (not as a shooter, but comparable impact as a scorer), with the ability to be a good two-way player.

Then the P's need more pieces. And probably some luck in the draft. They're rebuilding. Stars don't go to IN to play. They had Reggie, they had PG (and Granger in between), now they'll need a new franchise-level player. I don't think Turner is going to be that player, but I'd love to be wrong. I think they'll need to land a franchise-level player, and grow into a contender again.

9 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

^^ I can't see how the Pacers will be competitive any time soon. Most are projecting the P's as the second to worst, or close to it, team in the NBA next season.

Bird really ruined the Pacers. It's such a shame, they had real promise, but he managed to trade away or lose almost everyone, pissed off his key players, and lost the P's franchise player in the process. I'm sorry, but he's truly an idiot, and an incredibly stubborn one at that. Then he ran out the door, knowing that PG was going to leave. 

Turner might become a legit all star. He has the makings of one, his numbers are certainly there at this stage of his young career. But he is nowhere close to carrying that team as a playoff team. I'm very interested to see how Vic fits in, and whether he can take the next step in his young NBA career to show he can be a consistent, legit high-level NBA player. He was starting to show it, but it didn't work out for him with Westbrook. I don't think he's ready to be a key piece in a contending team, but I do think he has the potential to be one. Maybe a Lou Williams type, or an EJ type down the road (not as a shooter, but comparable impact as a scorer), with the ability to be a good two-way player.

Then the P's need more pieces. And probably some luck in the draft. They're rebuilding. Stars don't go to IN to play. They had Reggie, they had PG (and Granger in between), now they'll need a new franchise-level player. I don't think Turner is going to be that player, but I'd love to be wrong. I think they'll need to land a franchise-level player, and grow into a contender again.

I just can't see the Pacers being that bad and I see them competing for the 7th or 8th spot in the East.  I, for one am glad that PG is gone and was tired of his act on and off the court.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I just can't see the Pacers being that bad and I see them competing for the 7th or 8th spot in the East.  I, for one am glad that PG is gone and was tired of his act on and off the court.

I think you're going to be really disappointed. The Pacers are a shell of what they were. No way they're a playoff team. I get that people have different opinions about PG, but man he's a legit superstar. No one else on the P's is anywhere near picking up that role, or competing at the top. They're in rebuild mode.

18 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

I think you're going to be really disappointed. The Pacers are a shell of what they were. No way they're a playoff team. I get that people have different opinions about PG, but man he's a legit superstar. No one else on the P's is anywhere near picking up that role, or competing at the top. They're in rebuild mode.

He also doesn't give 100% effort game in and game out.  The Pacers played well below their talent as a team because they had inconsistent effort from their best player.  They may have less talent, but they'll maximize it a lot better now. 

With Seth Curry out indefinitely with a tibia stress injury, Yogi is now expected to start for the Mavs --

http://www.espn.com/blog/nba/rumors/post/_/id/45291/rumor-central-bigger-role-for-yogi-ferrell-with-seth-curry-sidelined

Pre-season so far:

Game 1 v Bucks: 10 assists, in 16 minutes (!) off the bench

GAme 2 v. Bulls: 10 points (4-6), 3 assists, 2 boards in 18 minutes off the bench

Game 3 v. Magic: 12 points (4-9), 4 boards, 3 assists, in 15 mins off the bench.

Solid.