NBA Thread

31 minutes ago, kaustical said:

https://twitter.com/wojespn

Dallas has tendered a qualifying offer to guard Yogi Ferrell and he'll become a restricted free agent on July 1, league source tells ESPN.

Dallas loves Yogi. Glad to see he's still important to them notwithstanding the recent additions.

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Just don't know how he fits though? Interesting. I don't want him to sit on the bench and be the 3rd pg

Yeah I was thinking similarly, but based on how well he's played for Dallas and how much they like him it could be a situation where patience is good. That they made him restricted has to show they have a role for him.

With Dennis Smith Jr, JJ Berea and them drafting Brunson coupled with some NBA guys thinking Doncic may even play some point at some point, I was concerned about Yogi's future in Dallas.

So I was glad to see the offer.  He has shown he belongs in the league!!!      

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Yeah I was thinking similarly, but based on how well he's played for Dallas and how much they like him it could be a situation where patience is good. That they made him restricted has to show they have a role for him.

Wonder what they’ll do with Seth Curry.  That backcourt is awfully crowded right now.

11 hours ago, T-Free20 said:

Has there been any discussion about Yogi possibly coming to the Pacers? We will be in need of a point guard next year considering all of the expiring contracts. Not saying he would start, but could be serviceable with the second unit IMO. Thoughts? Sorry if this has already been discussed and I missed it.

Already have 3 quality point guards with Collison, Joseph and Holiday and maybe Sumner if is recovered from his injury.

7 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Already have 3 quality point guards with Collison, Joseph and Holiday and maybe Sumner if is recovered from his injury.

True but you got to think that maybe even this time next year we will be looking for capable point guards because both Collison and Joseph are free agents. And you'd also think that Yogi is better than Sumner, right? I would love to keep Collison, but would be perfectly content swapping out Joseph for Yogi.

Am I alone in thinking Yogi could be our first point off the bench, and run the second unit?

4 hours ago, T-Free20 said:

True but you got to think that maybe even this time next year we will be looking for capable point guards because both Collison and Joseph are free agents. And you'd also think that Yogi is better than Sumner, right? I would love to keep Collison, but would be perfectly content swapping out Joseph for Yogi.

Am I alone in thinking Yogi could be our first point off the bench, and run the second unit?

This year Yogi wouldn't be any better than the 3rd point guard because I would take Joseph over Yogi.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Welp... This was the problem with Bryant leaving before he could play his way into the first round.  Lakers didn’t have much invested in him, and now they’ve cut him loose.

Clearing cap space for LeBron and P.George. Thomas will be fine, he had a good year in the G league.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Indykev said:

Clearing cap space for LeBron and P.George. Thomas will be fine, he had a good year in the G league.

Agree, definitely unusual for a team to cut a guy coming off a rookie season in which he made the G League first team.  I’m sure it does have to do with the Lakers clearing cap for Lebron/PG/Kawhi.  

But at the same time, whatever the reasoning behind it, this was why I thought Bryant would have been well served to come back.  First round picks are much less likely to be cut (not to mention they make much more money).  Out of all the players that left early under Crean, Bryant is really the only one that I think made a mistake.  He could’ve played his way into the first round last season and been set up much better.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Agree, definitely unusual for a team to cut a guy coming off a rookie season in which he made the G League first team.  I’m sure it does have to do with the Lakers clearing cap for Lebron/PG/Kawhi.  

But at the same time, whatever the reasoning behind it, this was why I thought Bryant would have been well served to come back.  First round picks are much less likely to be cut (not to mention they make much more money).  Out of all the players that left early under Crean, Bryant is really the only one that I think made a mistake.  He could’ve played his way into the first round last season and been set up much better.

I thought much the same, with only one counterpoint.  How does Juwan's development change with Bryant in the lineup?  With that comes the next question, does DD get hurt with a deeper front court?

My opinion is that things have or will work themselves out to be favorable in the end making the questions needing no answer.  It might be lazy of me, as speculation can be so much fun with this sort of topic.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, PoHoosier said:

I thought much the same, with only one counterpoint.  How does Juwan's development change with Bryant in the lineup?  With that comes the next question, does DD get hurt with a deeper front court?

My opinion is that things have or will work themselves out to be favorable in the end making the questions needing no answer.  It might be lazy of me, as speculation can be so much fun with this sort of topic.

I was really only talking about Bryant staying as it would have related to his personal prospects for success in the NBA.

As it would have related to IU as a team last season, I actually think Bryant staying would have been good for the team overall, including Juwan. Bryant really would have been the perfect frontcourt pairing with Juwan.  Having Bryant at the 5 would have allowed Juwan to slide back to his more natural position at the 4.  And at the same time, with Bryant’s ability to get up and down the court and play on the perimeter, Juwan would still have had plenty of room to operate in the paint.  I guess in that scenario, Juwan might not have developed quite as much because he wouldn’t have been counted on to basically carry the entire team, but he still would have been a key player for us.  And the team likely would have been a lot better, and probably makes the tournament.

Now Davis would have been the odd man out in that scenario, but like you said, he might have also avoided injury.  Smith would also have played a lot fewer minutes, but I don’t think bringing him along more slowly would have been a bad thing necessarily.  Overall, Bryant staying would have been a good thing for all involved IMO.

• Like 1