NBA Thread

I feel horrible for Hayward. I've always really liked him, and was really looking forward to seeing him in a Celtics uniform. At least initial reports are sounding that the injury is about as good as you could hope, given how devastating it looked. The Celtics play-by-play guy, Mike Gorman, was reporting after the game that it's a clean break with no ligament of blood vessel damage, which sounds like best case scenario. 

As a Celtics fan it's also really disappointing. The Celtics have been building towards this year for several seasons, so to see it kind wiped out 6 minutes in stinks. The silver lining, as FW_Hoosier said, is that watching Brown an Tatum develop and hopefully blossom will be fun to watch and hopefully keep the Celtics in the hunt. As an NBA fan in general is stinks because the East is basically over now. Maybe Washington has an outside shot against Cleveland, but I doubt it. 

Again though, all thoughts are with Hayward. I feel terrible for him. 

^^ Continue to hear good news about the ankle dislocation and the fracture. All reports so far indicate he should be back in 3-4 months, and it's been noted that some NFL players have come back from the same injury in weeks, crazy as that sounds. It's looking much better than PG's injury, and he should play this year.

Have to say in fairness Gleas, the C's realistically weren't going to beat Cleveland anyway this year. Challenge them, sure, but beat them, don't see it. The way LeBron took over yet again last night was, like your guy Scalabrine said, the same -- Boston hasn't closed the gap on LeBron, and having Hayward healthy wouldn't do that, this year. But man the future looks bright for your C's, Tatum really impressed, and they're probably going to be the team to beat (in the East) in another year or so.

1 hour ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

^^ Continue to hear good news about the ankle dislocation and the fracture. All reports so far indicate he should be back in 3-4 months, and it's been noted that some NFL players have come back from the same injury in weeks, crazy as that sounds. It's looking much better than PG's injury, and he should play this year.

Have to say in fairness Gleas, the C's realistically weren't going to beat Cleveland anyway this year. Challenge them, sure, but beat them, don't see it. The way LeBron took over yet again last night was, like your guy Scalabrine said, the same -- Boston hasn't closed the gap on LeBron, and having Hayward healthy wouldn't do that, this year. But man the future looks bright for your C's, Tatum really impressed, and they're probably going to be the team to beat (in the East) in another year or so.

Where did you hear that news about Hayward’s injury?  3-4 months would have him back by March.

36 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Where did you hear that news about Hayward’s injury?  3-4 months would have him back by March.

NBA radio this morning, with follow-up from a doc. Tibia break was supposedly clean, as was the ankle dislocation, with a suggested time frame of 3-4 months. A tibia break wouldn't seem to be a big deal, this was not a Paul George level injury. The gruesome part was the way the ankle looked -- but that was the dislocation, which is really not that bad an injury. PG's leg break was easily worse.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

I'm going to disagree a bit on your second paragraph. Would I have picked the Celtics to beat the Cavs in a series with a healthy Hayward? No. But, they definitely closed the gap IMO. Boston got smoked in the ECF last year. Not only was it not even a series, most of the games were embarrassing blowouts. IMO with a healthy Hayward this Celtics team is better than last year, and had the potential to make a playoff series with Cleveland a real fight. Again, I'd still pick Cleveland, but not in blowout/embarrassing fashion. 

LeBron is still the best player, and definitely took over last night (though the play that gave them the lead late was a blatant and clear 5-step travel in the paint), but the Celtics were a missed 3 away from sending the game to overtime on the road in a game where they were mentally shook by Hayward's injury and counting on numerous young players who are only going to get better. 

What we're saying isn't too far off, I just think the gap is definitely closer than last year. I think Boston got better (before Hayward's injury) and I think Cleveland got a little worse. 

2 hours ago, BGleas said:

I'm going to disagree a bit on your second paragraph. Would I have picked the Celtics to beat the Cavs in a series with a healthy Hayward? No. But, they definitely closed the gap IMO. Boston got smoked in the ECF last year. Not only was it not even a series, most of the games were embarrassing blowouts. IMO with a healthy Hayward this Celtics team is better than last year, and had the potential to make a playoff series with Cleveland a real fight. Again, I'd still pick Cleveland, but not in blowout/embarrassing fashion. 

LeBron is still the best player, and definitely took over last night (though the play that gave them the lead late was a blatant and clear 5-step travel in the paint), but the Celtics were a missed 3 away from sending the game to overtime on the road in a game where they were mentally shook by Hayward's injury and counting on numerous young players who are only going to get better. 

What we're saying isn't too far off, I just think the gap is definitely closer than last year. I think Boston got better (before Hayward's injury) and I think Cleveland got a little worse. 

That's fair, and certainly subject to reasonable disagreement. I just don't think the C's are that much better -- remains to be tested through the year, though I'm including with Hayward. On the flip side of your points, IT was not with Cleveland, and Cleveland was dominating the game, and then let the C's back in it (fair to say both teams were probably affected by that injury, and LeBron did go back into the locker room to check on Hayward), and then won it anyway. Will be interesting to see how IT does with Cleveland when he's back. Have to think he makes them better. In any event, I'm pulling for Hayward's return, as projected. Really sucked to see him get injured like that. 

On the LeBron thing, it will also be interesting to see if he's fully invested in this team, or if he has one foot out the door. If he's not fully invested, maybe that will open a door or two this year.

3 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Hayward’s agent said it’s unlikely he’ll play again this season.

That sucks. Hopefully he does. Follow up on NBA radio was that it doesn't mean he won't be healed but since it's his leg/ankle he won't be in shape even if healthy by March, and he'd have to be able to get in full game shape starting in March, assuming that's when the leg is healthy, and his camp/agent and the team may not want to push it, since he'll have already missed the bulk of the season.

13 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

That sucks. Hopefully he does. Follow up on NBA radio was that it doesn't mean he won't be healed but since it's his leg/ankle he won't be in shape even if healthy by March, and he'd have to be able to get in full game shape starting in March, assuming that's when the leg is healthy, and his camp/agent and the team may not want to push it, since he'll have already missed the bulk of the season.

Yeah, I think it's an organizational decision with the Celtics and Hayward that it's just best for everybody not to rush him. Most things I've read say anywhere between 4-6 months, or even sooner, but at that point in the season with this type of injury it just makes sense to take it slow/cautiously and get him ready for next season. Heck, maybe the Celts have a Spurs/Duncan situation on their hands like that season Robinson was hurt and they went from 50+ wins to the lottery and got Duncan #1. 

I tend to think the Celtics can still make the playoffs because the East is so bad, but you never know, I think they have 5-6 rookies on the roster right now which is not a recipe for winning in the NBA.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Anyone know why Zeller got a DNP-Coaches Decision last night? Is he hurt but they didn’t list it? Would seem odd for him to be out of Charlottes rotation. 

I checked the box right after the game and it said DNP - Injury.  At that point, they may have just been speculating, but it still seems strange that it's reported as Coaches Decision now.

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

ESPN reporting Cody had a bone bruise on his knee.

http://www.espn.com/nba/player/_/id/2579258/cody-zeller

Thanks! I checked the box score right after the game on ESPN and it said “Coaches Decision”. Not glad he’s injured by any means, but also glad it’s not an issue of him just not playing. I know their coach is all about Howard, but while certainly not a star, Zeller has established himself as an extremely useful (especially by the analytics crowd) rotation player/starter. 

3 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Vic going off tonight on the T Wolves -

10-14 (2-3 from arc) for 26 points in the 4th, 3 boards, 1 steal, 3 assists (3 TO's)

Dare I say early returns are the Pacers did okay, possibly even won, the Paul George trade? Sabonis is a baller too. 

Amazing how the difference in attitude between Vic and PG seem to impact the team (I'd add Collison and Teague to that). 

I thought that trade was better thank the "experts" believed at the time and I would not be at all surprised to see Vic earn every penny of his "expensive" contract.  I tried to tell myself that I was just being an IU homer but I just love Vic the person as much as I love Vic the player.  That may end up being a great example of a true win-win trade, even though I suspect the Pacers may end up looking like they got the better end of it yet. No doubt it will take awhile to prove out since PG is better regarded today, but I doubt the Pacers miss his attitude.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I thought that trade was better thank the "experts" believed at the time and I would not be at all surprised to see Vic earn every penny of his "expensive" contract.  I tried to tell myself that I was just being an IU homer but I just love Vic the person as much as I love Vic the player.  That may end up being a great example of a true win-win trade, even though I suspect the Pacers may end up looking like they got the better end of it yet. No doubt it will take awhile to prove out since PG is better regarded today, but I doubt the Pacers miss his attitude.

Spot on and I would also say that PG might not/probably won't be in OKC next year.  IMO, the early returns are that the Pacers got the better end of the deal.

11 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Dare I say early returns are the Pacers did okay, possibly even won, the Paul George trade? Sabonis is a baller too. 

Amazing how the difference in attitude between Vic and PG seem to impact the team (I'd add Collison and Teague to that). 

Naah, winning the PG trade? If you really believe that, and after a couple early games, I have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you. Your fandom, and disenchantment with PG, has the better of you.

The Pacers are not a playoff team, but how they develop with their new core group, including Vic, will be fun to watch.