NBA Thread

1 minute ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

I think Vic has clearly become a top 20 or so player. Whether he can push his game up further and against guys like Embiid though remains to be seen. You know i’m A huge Vic fan, but we’re talking 1 season, and in fairness no one expected Vic or the P’s to be anywhere near as good as they turned out to be. Teams will be serioysly game planning against Vic from the get go, it’s a different situation. I would love to see Vic keep on rising, but I’m more in the wait and see camp - I expect great play from him, I don’t expect top 10 play. If he gets there, fantastic 

I get this argument, but wouldn't it be fair to say that Cleveland was gameplanning for him in the playoff series? 

5 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

I get this argument, but wouldn't it be fair to say that Cleveland was gameplanning for him in the playoff series? 

Yes, but that’s one series in one season. We can pull up lots of players who’ve had 1 very good season, 1 great playoff series (including PG). I’m very high on Vic, but it’s 1 year, after several up and down years, and 1 playoff series. 

Also don’t see this as an “argument.” It’s just where I am in thinking about what Vic had demonstrated 

Vic is a tough call. He was phenomenal last season, but in this day and age it is such an anonomaly for a player at his age and with the amount of time he’s already had to just all the sudden breakout like that. Maybe Isiah Thomas is the only other recent comparison? 

It just doesn’t happen like that anymore, so it’s difficult to project what will happen next. I tend to think because of his mentality that he’ll sustain, or at least close to it, what he did last year, at least from a numbers perspective, but that top 10 is a really competitive space right now. I’m not sure he can really get better, but maybe it will come incrementally from consistency. 

I just really don’t know what to make of it all just yet. 

Edited by BGleas

16 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

This season is going to test that. I’m a huge Vic fan, but the flip side to this idea is that just the prior season he was average. It has not been a straight projectory for him, it was a monster step up with a team and position that fit his game much better, coupled with his dedication, including refining his diet and body last summer, I expect he will continue to grow, he’s in his prime, but I don’t expect him to become a top 5-10 player. 

Average season the year prior or not, he has improved his fg% and 3p% every single year in the NBA. No reason to think that stops now just the second year in to him taking his workouts to the next level. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

Average season the year prior or not, he has improved his fg% and 3p% every single year in the NBA. No reason to think that stops now just the second year in to him taking his workouts to the next level. 

It's going to be an interesting year for sure.I agree about his shooting -- I've always thought he would increase/continue to increase his shooting (and where Gleas and I differed, I never thought he was a mediocre shooter), from his time at IU he went from a roughly 20% outside shooter to a 40% outside shooter, but what I saw as the base was his FT shot/form. Last season he went from 36% outside to 37% outside shooter. He could certainly raise that up to 38 or 39.

That doesn't mean though that he'll push into the top 10, or have the kind of jump he did last season, after a season with the Thunder when his scoring went from 15.9 to 23.1 with the P's. I see him as similar to Damian Lillard (high praise, really) -- super competitive scoring primary handler and a better defender, and I do think he can continue to rise up to that level. But top 10? Maybe. Like Gleas comments above, regardless which of the lists you align with it's a really strong group. Who does he push past, Embiid, Greak Freak, Westbrook? Everyone has their own top 10 and there's plenty of room for argument on several of those guys, but it's one tough group, and again Vic has only played anywhere near this level for 1 season -- I'm all in on him, but if you're putting him in the top 10 now that's just not objective, it's because he played at IU and we all love his game.

59 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

It's going to be an interesting year for sure.I agree about his shooting -- I've always thought he would increase/continue to increase his shooting (and where Gleas and I differed, I never thought he was a mediocre shooter), from his time at IU he went from a roughly 20% outside shooter to a 40% outside shooter, but what I saw as the base was his FT shot/form. Last season he went from 36% outside to 37% outside shooter. He could certainly raise that up to 38 or 39.

That doesn't mean though that he'll push into the top 10, or have the kind of jump he did last season, after a season with the Thunder when his scoring went from 15.9 to 23.1 with the P's. I see him as similar to Damian Lillard (high praise, really) -- super competitive scoring primary handler and a better defender, and I do think he can continue to rise up to that level. But top 10? Maybe. Like Gleas comments above, regardless which of the lists you align with it's a really strong group. Who does he push past, Embiid, Greak Freak, Westbrook? Everyone has their own top 10 and there's plenty of room for argument on several of those guys, but it's one tough group, and again Vic has only played anywhere near this level for 1 season -- I'm all in on him, but if you're putting him in the top 10 now that's just not objective, it's because he played at IU and we all love his game.

If he is as good as Lillard on offense he is easily a top 10 player. 

2 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Not yet. I wouldn't bet against him getting there. 

I would never bet against Vic - but it’s a tall order. He wasn’t even in the conversation of top 25 last year, really not even top 50. Now after 1 season we’re talkng  chance to be top 10. Love Vic, maybe he gets there but it’s a tall order. 

And he’s going to he heavily targeted this season. I’m in the wait and see camp 

1 hour ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

I would never bet against Vic - but it’s a tall order. He wasn’t even in the conversation of top 25 last year, really not even top 50. Now after 1 season we’re talkng  chance to be top 10. Love Vic, maybe he gets there but it’s a tall order. 

This is a strange way of looking at it IMO. Hes currently a top 20 player, who cares what he was 12 months ago?

18 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Not trying to be rude or anythimg but after 20 games into the season it became apparent that this was Vic's team not Turners, did teams not focus on him the last 3/4 of the season?  Everyone knew he was the key to stopping the pacers last year and was already being doubled.  

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Not trying to be rude or anythimg but after 20 games into the season it became apparent that this was Vic's team not Turners, did teams not focus on him the last 3/4 of the season?  Everyone knew he was the key to stopping the pacers last year and was already being doubled.  

Don't think that's rude at all -- there's a difference though in teams preparing for a team and a player going into the season, and team's figuring out mid-way into a season that a team is actually pretty good and a player is their key. There's a reason why pretty much every person analyzing the Pacers this season's chances is caveating it with the statement that the P's (and Vic) won't 'sneak up' on anyone this season. 

I'm looking forward to seeing how the Pacers and Vic respond when they're in the spot light, and expected to be one of the top teams. Yes, it makes a difference. 

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Not a bad start for Yogi with the Kings --

Game leading 26 points off the bench (30 min) on 9-14 shooting, 6-9 from the arc, 3 assists, 0 TO's, and game leading +16 on the night.

http://www.espn.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=401077247

Always thought Yogi made the right move going to the Kings.  He had to maximize his earnings on this second contract, and he’s going to get way more of an opportunity to play there than he was going to in Dallas.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Always thought Yogi made the right move going to the Kings.  He had to maximize his earnings on this second contract, and he’s going to get way more of an opportunity to play there than he was going to in Dallas.

That's probably right from a contract perspective. On the other hand, Dallas is turning into a pretty good team and Yogi was loved in Dallas. Sacto is of course always poorly run and they're looking like the worst team in the League this season -- however, as you point out Yogi should get good PT and should have a chance to shine and help himself going forward.

2 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

That's probably right from a contract perspective. On the other hand, Dallas is turning into a pretty good team and Yogi was loved in Dallas. Sacto is of course always poorly run and they're looking like the worst team in the League this season -- however, as you point out Yogi should get good PT and should have a chance to shine and help himself going forward.

Meh.  I bet the Kings and the Mavs are both sitting at home come playoff time.