NBA Thread

2 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

over/under Vic at 22 ppg this year. 

Good question, as he has more scoring help this season and the offense should be more balanced. Would expect Turner to turn it up a bit, Evans is going to add scoring, Bogdan will probably pick it up a bit and guys like Sabonis, though probably off the bench, will likely increase their scoring. 

For those reasons I'll say under. I'll go with 22 ppg.

2 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Good question, as he has more scoring help this season and the offense should be more balanced. Would expect Turner to turn it up a bit, Evans is going to add scoring, Bogdan will probably pick it up a bit and guys like Sabonis, though probably off the bench, will likely increase their scoring. 

For those reasons I'll say under. I'll go with 22 ppg.

I agree, I am going with under and I mean slightly under at around 21.6ppg.  I think Turner picks up a few more points(12.7 in 2017) and ends up around 15ppg or 16ppg in 2018, Tyreke adds legit scoring from the bench that this team has been missing for a few years(my guess around 12 to 13ppg, Sabonis will pick up a few more points. 

Just now, dwtaylor1055 said:

I agree, I am going with under and I mean slightly under at around 21.6ppg.  I think Turner picks up a few more points(12.7 in 2017) and ends up around 15ppg or 16ppg in 2018, Tyreke adds legit scoring from the bench that this team has been missing for a few years(my guess around 12 to 13ppg, Sabonis will pick up a few more points. 

It's definitely a good question. Can see it going both ways as Vic is the team's clear leader now and looks to be continuing to grow his impressive game, but I do think that the team will be more balanced with more scoring, and will be better off for it. P's lost every single game Vic missed last season. 

3 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

It's definitely a good question. Can see it going both ways as Vic is the team's clear leader now and looks to be continuing to grow his impressive game, but I do think that the team will be more balanced with more scoring, and will be better off for it. P's lost every single game Vic missed last season. 

It def showed when Vic missed a game, the leadership wasn't quite their nor was the intensity or scoring.  I think if Vic misses any games(knock on wood) I think the team has a lot better chance in winning a few without him.  My top prediction for the east at the end of the year(#1 to #8): Celtics/Raptors/Pacers/76ers/Bucks/Wizards/Heat/Hornets

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I think we might see Vic try to do too much early in the season.

I could easily see this happening, especially with the season he had last year.  I'm not so much worried about Vic, its Myles.  Yes I know Myles is still young, however I think this is a very big year for him, lots of money on the line for next offseason as well

1 hour ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

It def showed when Vic missed a game, the leadership wasn't quite their nor was the intensity or scoring.  I think if Vic misses any games(knock on wood) I think the team has a lot better chance in winning a few without him.  My top prediction for the east at the end of the year(#1 to #8): Celtics/Raptors/Pacers/76ers/Bucks/Wizards/Heat/Hornets

Good discussion.

That's a pretty good prediction re East standings imo. Bulls are a dark horse, they'd have to win a whole heck of a lot more than last year, and defense seems their real question mark, but they're looking much improved and (just a pre-season game) they hammered the P's in that recent game and limited Vic to some poor shooting. If Kawhi stays healthy and is fully bought in, Raps may contend for the top spot, they're also looking very good and may well be better without DeRozan. C's though of course are the clear front runner. 76'ers to me are something of a question mark, as they lost a couple really key pieces but are still loaded. I can see the P's grabbing that 3rd spot -- really everything after 1-4 (C's/Raps/P's/76'ers in whatever order) looks to be pretty wide open between the Bucks, Hornets, Wiz, Heat and maybe Bulls. (I'm just glad I'm not a Knicks fan, though they're long-term future is looking better)

3 hours ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

really?  I would like that, any specific reasoning behind your prediction?

Well, he averaged 23 last year which was the first year he had really taken it seriously to be in great shape. His percentages on two and three pointers have both gone up each year in the league. By all accounts, he really put in the work to take another step, so I think it stands to reason he can increase two points per game. 

^^ Only 7 players averaged at least 25 ppg last season

Harden

AD

James

Lillard

Greek Freak

Durant

Westbrook

Increasing your average by 2 ppg is a lot, and the P's now have more scoring options and should and probably will try to diversify scoring more. It's possible, but I don't think it stands to reason and it makes better sense for the P's winning chances to spread out scoring more, which is why they brought those guys in, right? 

19 hours ago, 5fouls said:

I think we might see Vic try to do too much early in the season.

I think this is a possibility as well. Not saying Vic won’t be great this year and that he won’t figure it out, but I could see early on where he tries to do too much and has a bit of trying to prove he’s a legit star and last year wasn’t fluke, and that it’s his’ team. I remember Pierce going through this a bit as the Celtics transitioned from Antoine Walker/Pierce to just it being Pierce’s team. 

3 hours ago, BGleas said:

I think this is a possibility as well. Not saying Vic won’t be great this year and that he won’t figure it out, but I could see early on where he tries to do too much and has a bit of trying to prove he’s a legit star and last year wasn’t fluke, and that it’s his’ team. I remember Pierce going through this a bit as the Celtics transitioned from Antoine Walker/Pierce to just it being Pierce’s team. 

Possible, but Vic seems like such a selfless player for the star that he is.  I expect that if he struggles with that, it won't be for long.  I also would add that he will likely be an even better player even if he scores a couple of points less.  Pacers have a really nice player to build around...a real leader than can make everyone around him better.

On 10/13/2018 at 9:25 AM, Hoosierhoopster said:

^^ Only 7 players averaged at least 25 ppg last season

Harden

AD

James

Lillard

Greek Freak

Durant

Westbrook

Increasing your average by 2 ppg is a lot, and the P's now have more scoring options and should and probably will try to diversify scoring more. It's possible, but I don't think it stands to reason and it makes better sense for the P's winning chances to spread out scoring more, which is why they brought those guys in, right? 

I really dont understand when people say Vic will score less because of who we brought in. We brought in bench players to shore up our second unit, not to change the dynamic of our starters. 

If anything, Vic will get more usage as he improves more and Collison keeps aging which means a slight increase in efficiency can push him over 25 ppg. 

Edit: do Steph and Boogie not exist? Ignoring two players when there are only 30 teams skews the numbers a lot. 

Edited by KoB2011

7 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

I really dont understand when people say Vic will score less because of who we brought in. We brought in bench players to shore up our second unit, not to change the dynamic of our starters. 

If anything, Vic will get more usage as he improves more and Collison keeps aging which means a slight increase in efficiency can push him over 25 ppg. 

Edit: do Steph and Boogie not exist? Ignoring two players when there are only 30 teams skews the numbers a lot. 

Yes they did bring in those guys for the bench, but I believe that Tyreke will play more times then not going down the stretch in the 4th quarter to prevent defenses from circling in on Vic.  This will make the defense respect Tyreke as opposed to Cory or Darren when they can sag off and stay closer to Vic.  I can see it going both ways with Vic getting more ppg but I could see it being under as well. 

9 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

"Qualified" ppg leaders http://www.espn.com/nba/statistics/player/_/stat/scoring-per-game/sort/avgPoints/year/2018/seasontype/2

do not include either Steph or Boogie. Steph played in only 51 games, Boogie of course suffered that injury and played in only 48.

Evans is going to play a bunch of minutes and have to think he will play with Vic at times, don't think he was brought in to only come off the bench, no? Presumably Bog is going to increase his shooting/scoring. Sabonis is going to push for more. And there's lots of reason to think Turner is going to push for more scoring this season, including all the work he's been putting in over the summer, his contract status, etc. Sure Vic might increase his ppg by 2 in one season, but that doesn't really seem to mesh with the roster moves and it would be a very big jump.

With the usual preface that espn is not what it once was and especially concerning the NBA (and college bball), still find it confusing that they continue to under-rate the Pacers after this past season -- Espn's power rankings, P's at 14 after Miami (?), and their take -- the one thing I agree with is the idea of relying less on Vic and getting more out of Turner along with Evans to being more successful:

14. Indiana Pacers
BPI projected wins: 47.0
Previous rank: No. 8

Best case: 55-27
In this scenario, after leading the NBA in long 2-pointers a season ago, the Pacers become more analytically inclined and get far more shots from 3-point range with free-agent addition Doug McDermott. Myles Turnerfinally starts to show signs of progression after stagnating the past two seasons. And bringing Tyreke Evans over allows Indiana to rely less on Victor Oladipo, which pays dividends come playoff time.

2018-19 Indiana Pacers Projected Win %

MONTH(S) PROJECTED WIN%*
*According to BPI
OCTOBER/NOVEMBER 55.0
DECEMBER 64.8
JANUARY 55.6
FEBRUARY 58.2
MARCH/APRIL

Worst case: 39-43
While Oladipo's defense is excellent again, his efficiency falls off a cliff compared to a season ago, and he isn't an All-Star. None of the big men -- from Turner to Domantas Sabonis to newcomer Kyle O'Quinn -- display any real consistency, forcing the club to put too much on the shoulders of its guards. The somewhat inefficient midrange shots that fell all last year don't this year, and fans begin questioning the wisdom of signing Nate McMillan to an extension.

Toughest stretch: March/April
An extremely tough eight-game stretch -- vs. Oklahoma City, at Denver, at Portland, at LA Clippers, at Golden State, vs. Denver, at Oklahoma City and at Boston -- from March 14-29 could play a key role in determining the Pacers' seeding. As good as Indiana was last season, the club was 16-14 against the West, a steep drop-off from the 32-20 mark the Pacers compiled against the East.

I'd feel comfortable betting a sizable amount that Vic clears 22 ppg. He's showed steady improvement every year since he's came in the league in almost every category and I don't see any reason why that would stop. Unless we're expecting him to shoot 50/40/85 I just don't see any way that he doesn't put up enough volume to cover that easily. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

"Qualified" ppg leaders http://www.espn.com/nba/statistics/player/_/stat/scoring-per-game/sort/avgPoints/year/2018/seasontype/2

do not include either Steph or Boogie. Steph played in only 51 games, Boogie of course suffered that injury and played in only 48.

Evans is going to play a bunch of minutes and have to think he will play with Vic at times, don't think he was brought in to only come off the bench, no? Presumably Bog is going to increase his shooting/scoring. Sabonis is going to push for more. And there's lots of reason to think Turner is going to push for more scoring this season, including all the work he's been putting in over the summer, his contract status, etc. Sure Vic might increase his ppg by 2 in one season, but that doesn't really seem to mesh with the roster moves and it would be a very big jump.

I am pretty sure Evans will only come off the bench. Who do you think he will start over?

Evans is an upgrade over Lance, but he isnt going to play a ton more minutes. Lance played nearly 23 MPG last year and I'd think whatever Evans plays over that isn't coming at our best players expense. It will be at the expense of Bogey, Joseph and Collison IMO. 

I can see times Evans closes the game but again, not at Vic's expense being the go to guy. It's already reasonable to think Vic will be more efficient and Evans will only help that.

• Like 1

As many of you know, I am not a fan of the NBA.  Many of you are, and that's ok by me.

Having said that, I don't frequent this thread, much, it at all.  So my apologies for linking this video if it has already been posted.

I recently ran across this video, and thought some of you NBA fans would find it interested. I can say, I did.  And in a good way.  Had no idea about his school.

12 Items LeBron James Owns That Cost More Than Your Life...