NBA Thread

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

Trout does play in the second largest media market in the country though. I’d say the general public also doesn’t know who Mookie Betts, Bryce Harper or Stanton are. MLB has just really struggles to market their individual players. In the NBA it doesn’t really matter where you play. Kevin Durant can spend 9 years in OKC and everyone knows his name. 

I agree.  MLB does struggle.  

• Like 1

Just now, rico said:

But yet everyone knows who Clayton Kershaw is.  Trout ain't on a winner.

Do they though? Sports fans yes, but I don’t think the general, casual sports fans know who Kershaw is. For example, I’m going to a friends 40th birthday party tonight, mostly casual sports fans at best, I’d bet 80% or more know who Russell Westbrook is, and probably 20% or less know who Trout or Kershaw is. 

44 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I don’t understand your point?

I said the NBA is the standard for player marketing. The NBA is the best at it and set the template for it. If you’re an NBA player it really doesn’t matter what market you’re in. MLB has had a terrible time marketing their athletes. Mike Trout is arguably on pace to be the best player ever and he’s not a household name. 

I guess I just don’t understand what you think the NBA does differently than the NFL.  IMO, the NFL and NBA are pretty equal.  MLB is a different animal IMO.  The thing about it is that most of the NLF and NBA players get marketed in college, whereas college baseball doesn’t get near the following.  By the time these guys get to their respective leagues, they’re already household names for the most part.  The MLB players are already at a marketing disadvantage in that regard.  Also, like others have said, winning has a lot to do with marketing.  Trout is the best player in this generation, but he’s been on terrible teams.  Unlike the NBA and key positions in the NFL, MLB players have a smaller effect on team success.  

49 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Do they though? Sports fans yes, but I don’t think the general, casual sports fans know who Kershaw is. For example, I’m going to a friends 40th birthday party tonight, mostly casual sports fans at best, I’d bet 80% or more know who Russell Westbrook is, and probably 20% or less know who Trout or Kershaw is. 

Good question........one I can't answer.  Giving me some food for thought.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, StLHoosier said:

I guess I just don’t understand what you think the NBA does differently than the NFL.  IMO, the NFL and NBA are pretty equal.  MLB is a different animal IMO.  The thing about it is that most of the NLF and NBA players get marketed in college, whereas college baseball doesn’t get near the following.  By the time these guys get to their respective leagues, they’re already household names for the most part.  The MLB players are already at a marketing disadvantage in that regard.  Also, like others have said, winning has a lot to do with marketing.  Trout is the best player in this generation, but he’s been on terrible teams.  Unlike the NBA and key positions in the NFL, MLB players have a smaller effect on team success.  

And some more food for thought for me to chew on.  

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

Trout does play in the second largest media market in the country though. I’d say the general public also doesn’t know who Mookie Betts, Bryce Harper or Stanton are. MLB has just really struggles to market their individual players. In the NBA it doesn’t really matter where you play. Kevin Durant can spend 9 years in OKC and everyone knows his name. 

I don't know if you can really blame it on the MLB though. MLB will always have an issue bringing on new fans. I don't think you can really expect the general public to know the name of an MLB star when a game lasts 3+ hours.

Taking that into account, a game lasts 3+ hours. Taking Trout for example, he comes up to bat, what, every 30-45 minutes? Then you take into account that a successful hitter gets on base 30-40% of the time. Of that 30-40% only a small percentage is an eye popping home run. You literally have to watch an entire game to maybe see that player make a fun, eye popping play.

I don't think the MLB can really "entice" the general public to watch 3.5 hours for maybe a few good plays. Someone who appreciates baseball will. Your average fan? Not a chance.

The NFL and NBA simply has more action. More big plays, more often.

1 hour ago, StLHoosier said:

Agree, there’s not a ton of difference in 2018 between the NBA and NFL in terms of player marketing, but the NBA is the league that set the blueprint for this. They started marketing player over team in the early 80’s with ‘Magic vs. Bird’, and then it was taken to a new level with Jordan. The NBA was at the forefront on this.  

Completely agree that the college thing gives the NBA and NFL an advantage over MLB, but it’s also been widely covered that MLB has lagged in terms marketing its stars. Winning does play a part, but with that said Mookie Betts, Chris Sale, and Jose Altuve aren’t exactly mainstream, household names. MLB has just struggled with this over the years. 

1 minute ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Interesting move with Butler to Sixers — but they gave up Covington??

sixers need shooting. Butler is a top 15 or so guy, two-way player, but not an outside shooter. I’m sure the Rockets are pissed, they need a Butler. I wonder if Philly does. Good move, or potentially break even or bad move? 

And Saric. A nice big 3 for Philly but they now have no bigs other than Embiid and no depth.

22 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Interesting move with Butler to Sixers — but they gave up Covington??

sixers need shooting. Butler is a top 15 or so guy, two-way player, but not an outside shooter. I’m sure the Rockets are pissed, they need a Butler. I wonder if Philly does. Good move, or potentially break even or bad move? 

I’m curious if Philly wouldn’t part with Fultz or if Minny didn’t want him. 

4 hours ago, BGleas said:

Agree, there’s not a ton of difference in 2018 between the NBA and NFL in terms of player marketing, but the NBA is the league that set the blueprint for this. They started marketing player over team in the early 80’s with ‘Magic vs. Bird’, and then it was taken to a new level with Jordan. The NBA was at the forefront on this.  

Completely agree that the college thing gives the NBA and NFL an advantage over MLB, but it’s also been widely covered that MLB has lagged in terms marketing its stars. Winning does play a part, but with that said Mookie Betts, Chris Sale, and Jose Altuve aren’t exactly mainstream, household names. MLB has just struggled with this over the years. 

Actually that is one thing that I don't like about the NBA is it is about the individual and not the team.

1 hour ago, rico said:

I am not following your train of thought here.

He’s saying In the NBA the players have the power, and they largely choose where they want to play and dictate how the teams do - and so it’s about individual marketing in the NBA, which of course is right, it’s their profession, the teams and ownership profit off them. It is different, in college it’s about your college team, the players are there for a short time and the school / coach has the power, so it’s more about the team in college whereas in the NBA it’s really more about the players. At least I think that’s what he’s saying 

3 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

He’s saying In the NBA the players have the power, and they largely choose where they want to play and dictate how the teams do - and so it’s about individual marketing in the NBA, which of course is right, it’s their profession, the teams and ownership profit off them. It is different, in college it’s about your college team, the players are there for a short time and the school / coach has the power, so it’s more about the team in college whereas in the NBA it’s really more about the players. At least I think that’s what he’s saying 

I can see that logic.  

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I am  more about the team than the individual and the NBA is more worried about promoting the individual over the team.  I was watching the Pacers vs the Bulls but the NBA was promoting it as MJ against Reggie.

I understand bro.  But remember this.....in basketball you go head-to-head.  Not true in the NFL or MLB.  Manning never played defense against Brady.  But I get what you are saying.

What I hate is the NBA has different set of rules than the rest of basketball has.  In any other level of basketball if you juggle the ball down the court 3 or 4 steps it will be a travel.  Last night a Rocket player juggle the ball 3 or 4 steps but no call and the stupid ref was motioning the juggle call which really makes me upset.

Three things for the Pacers(When the Rockets or whatever team they are playing are hitting whatever they throw at the rim, it's hard to win a game):

1.) Pacers free throws were slightly better last night. but still need to improve.

2.) More plays drawn up for 3pt attempts for Doug McDermott.  He's here to provide a threat from behind the 3pt line, he's not helping us if he's only taking 1 or 2 a game.  Even if he hits that one 3 pointer, his defense is hurting us and offsetting that 1 3pt shot he made. 

3.) Yes I will probably get a lot of slack for this, but Vic needs help with a ball handler aka Tyreke.  Tyreke is a playmaker and yes sometimes he tries to much iso ball I know.  Tyreke can get to the rim for the most part with ease, yes he struggles at finishing but he's getting to the rim(fouls will eventually start being called).  Id like to see a lineup of Cory/Vic/Tyreke/Bojan or McDermott/Myles or Sabonis more often.  Run the PnR, if defenders move in/slide down to help, kick out for the open three.  If they don't then you have one man to beat to get to the rim or lob it up for the assist. 

3 hours ago, IU Scott said:

What I hate is the NBA has different set of rules than the rest of basketball has.  In any other level of basketball if you juggle the ball down the court 3 or 4 steps it will be a travel.  Last night a Rocket player juggle the ball 3 or 4 steps but no call and the stupid ref was motioning the juggle call which really makes me upset.

What level of basketball is it possible to travel without having control all of the ball?

Edited by KoB2011