NBA Thread

On ‎11‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 12:10 PM, BGleas said:

Agree, there’s not a ton of difference in 2018 between the NBA and NFL in terms of player marketing, but the NBA is the league that set the blueprint for this. They started marketing player over team in the early 80’s with ‘Magic vs. Bird’, and then it was taken to a new level with Jordan. The NBA was at the forefront on this.  

Completely agree that the college thing gives the NBA and NFL an advantage over MLB, but it’s also been widely covered that MLB has lagged in terms marketing its stars. Winning does play a part, but with that said Mookie Betts, Chris Sale, and Jose Altuve aren’t exactly mainstream, household names. MLB has just struggled with this over the years. 

The MLB need to look at the NBA, but also refer back to how they marketed players in the '90s.  Everyone knew who Ken Griffey, Jr., Frank Thomas, Roger Clemons, Sammy Sosa, Mark McGuire, Kirby Puckett, Nomar, Jeter, etc. were.  The players had shoe deals and were all over product marketing.  The real difference today that I see is you don't see MLB players marketing products like they used to.  That has killed the brand recognition, but they have players that are of similar caliber now. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

What level of basketball is it possible to travel without having control all of the ball?

So with that logic you could go full court juggling the ball then go in for a layup.  When I played you couldn't juggle the ball and take a couple of steps because in basketball that is traveling.

12 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

If you haven't possessed the ball, you can't travel.

but you are not allowed to advance the ball without a pass or a dribble.  So if someone passes the ball inbounds to me and I bobble it all the way up the court you are telling me that is illegal.  I guess back when I played we did not know what the actual rules of basketball was because this use to be a travel.

52 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

So with that logic you could go full court juggling the ball then go in for a layup.  When I played you couldn't juggle the ball and take a couple of steps because in basketball that is traveling.

In theory, yes. Not sure how that works with a defense playing, though. 

57 minutes ago, IUALUM03 said:

The MLB need to look at the NBA, but also refer back to how they marketed players in the '90s.  Everyone knew who Ken Griffey, Jr., Frank Thomas, Roger Clemons, Sammy Sosa, Mark McGuire, Kirby Puckett, Nomar, Jeter, etc. were.  The players had shoe deals and were all over product marketing.  The real difference today that I see is you don't see MLB players marketing products like they used to.  That has killed the brand recognition, but they have players that are of similar caliber now. 

The PED scandal really really hurt baseball.  Even today, I hear people wonder out loud if (player performing well) is taking steroids.  That doubt and stigma really hurts their ability to use players to flog products.

1 hour ago, IUALUM03 said:

Could it be as simple as MLB is just not as popular as it once was?

14 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Like it or not, the influx of Latin American players has not sat well with a lot of the American crowd. Too many get off my lawn guys don't like the game played with emotion or fun.

I just think the younger people don't want to sit and watch a baseball game that takes over 3 hours and that is why it is not as popular as it once was.  There is also way to much downtime in baseball and really not that much action for a 3 hour game.  When I go to the ballpark I never worry that the game is taking to long but when watching it on TV the game can drag along quit slowly.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

I just think the younger people don't want to sit and watch a baseball game that takes over 3 hours and that is why it is not as popular as it once was.  There is also way to much downtime in baseball and really not that much action for a 3 hour game.  When I go to the ballpark I never worry that the game is taking to long but when watching it on TV the game can drag along quit slowly.

Could you imagine how much better the game would be if pitchers were required to go right into a windup as soon as they caught the ball?  No balks allowed...they can throw to any base...no batters being allowed to step out?  How exciting would it be if neither the batter nor the catcher knew what was coming?

...and yes, before the crowd of baseball purists jump in, I understand that what I just proposed is baseball blasphemy and doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell of getting introduced to the game, but Scott has a point...the game needs speeded up. A lot.

...and yes, I am aware that I have hijacked the crap out of the NBA thread.  That's what happen when the subject veers off course and we forget where we are posting.:P

1 hour ago, FKIM01 said:

Could you imagine how much better the game would be if pitchers were required to go right into a windup as soon as they caught the ball?  No balks allowed...they can throw to any base...no batters being allowed to step out?  How exciting would it be if neither the batter nor the catcher knew what was coming?

...and yes, before the crowd of baseball purists jump in, I understand that what I just proposed is baseball blasphemy and doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell of getting introduced to the game, but Scott has a point...the game needs speeded up. A lot.

...and yes, I am aware that I have hijacked the crap out of the NBA thread.  That's what happen when the subject veers off course and we forget where we are posting.:P

Things to sped up the game

Don't let the batters adjust their batting gloves after every pitch and make them stay in the batters box

Make pitchers stay on the mound and not let them walk around for 30 seconds.

1 hour ago, kaustical said:

Being an old guy, this will sound bad but watching baseball requires an attention span.

I think social media has really hurt watching sports because people can now just look at their phones for updates and don't actually have to watch the game.  I personal don't mind how long games to take because I love sports and will watch the games that I am interested in.

I haven't noticed time clocks in MBL but I have in triple AAA.  If they are not currently being used in MLB, use them in MLB and do not allow the batter to dilly dally between pitches and such.  k

If the baseball game is too long, just grab another hot dog and beer/drink if you are at the game.  Nothing wrong with that is there?

1 minute ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

OK Gleas, what's wrong with your C's, and do you think these next two games are big to get them on track? Scal said as much on NBA radio, I think it's early  for that kind of talk, but the C's have been underperforming.

I’m not too worried. Integrating Irving and Hayward has been more challenging than I think anyone realized, as it’s really impacted Tatum, Brown and Rozier, but they’ll figure it out. Stevens is too good and there’s too much leadership with Horford, Smart and some other guys. 

While the record is definitely disappointing, it’s rarely brought up that Boston has had the toughest schedule in the league. They play 9 of their first 13 on the road, including road games at Toronto, OKC, Indiana, Utah, Denver and Portland. They had a stretch of 5 straight on the road with 4 of them being against playoff teams. 

Definitely not a good start, but I’m not close to worried yet.

50 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I’m not too worried. Integrating Irving and Hayward has been more challenging than I think anyone realized, as it’s really impacted Tatum, Brown and Rozier, but they’ll figure it out. Stevens is too good and there’s too much leadership with Horford, Smart and some other guys. 

While the record is definitely disappointing, it’s rarely brought up that Boston has had the toughest schedule in the league. They play 9 of their first 13 on the road, including road games at Toronto, OKC, Indiana, Utah, Denver and Portland. They had a stretch of 5 straight on the road with 4 of them being against playoff teams. 

Definitely not a good start, but I’m not close to worried yet.

Oh I hadn't even realized the strength of schedule/road game issue -- that absolutely matters. I'm assuming Boston is going to be fine, was just curious on your take -- Have to say that the Raps look like the top team in the East right now though. Kawhi is back with a vengeance

3 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Oh I hadn't even realized the strength of schedule/road game issue -- that absolutely matters. I'm assuming Boston is going to be fine, was just curious on your take -- Have to say that the Raps look like the top team in the East right now though. Kawhi is back with a vengeance

The Celtics definitely have issues beyond just the schedule, though schedule is part of it, but I’m not concerned yet. The Hayward thing has been tough. They need to get him right but his defense has been awful and the players are doing the ‘take turns’ offensively which has caused way too much isolation basketball. They’ll figure it out though, I think  

Agree on the Raptors. I don’t like how he left SA, but I’ve always been a strong Kawai supporter. He’s a great player and to honest if I was starting a team I’d maybe take him over Durant. 

56 minutes ago, BGleas said:

The Celtics definitely have issues beyond just the schedule, though schedule is part of it, but I’m not concerned yet. The Hayward thing has been tough. They need to get him right but his defense has been awful and the players are doing the ‘take r’ offensively which has caused way too much isolation basketball. They’ll figure it out though, I think  

Agree on the Raptors. I don’t like how he left SA, but I’ve always been a strong Kawai supporter. He’s a great player and to honest if I was starting a team I’d maybe take him over Durant. 

Yeah I'm with you -- when healthy, Kawhi is a top 3 player for sure, and while Durant is probably the #2 player in the League, in terms of impact on both sides of the floor, I'd take Kawhi. 

It always takes time to integrate players and after last year's run for the C's relying on Tatum, Brown et al, integrating scorers like Hayward and Irving into that group has to get worked out. I remember wondering if there was room for all of them, but do think Brad S will get them organized. 

Pacers have been having their own work-through issues though not as pronounced, the Thunder started out 0-4, and other teams who should be solid playoff teams are having their own work-out issues. It's early -- however, I'm not sure Philly is top 4 (East) any more, that Butler deal could end up being a downgrade.

I am just wondering was it me or did Oladipo tonight look almost disengaged in the game against the Heat? I know the Heat keyed in on him and made sure he couldn't drive. I also saw that anytime someone drove on the Heat no fouls were called. It just looked like he was not his usual self tonight and that majorly affected his shooting. 

10 hours ago, ButlerHoosier said:

I am just wondering was it me or did Oladipo tonight look almost disengaged in the game against the Heat? I know the Heat keyed in on him and made sure he couldn't drive. I also saw that anytime someone drove on the Heat no fouls were called. It just looked like he was not his usual self tonight and that majorly affected his shooting. 

Can’t really get in his head, his worst game of the season —but the P’s won with Bog and Evans stepping up. Another game where the shooting and scoring was spread around leading to the W. 

12 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Can’t really get in his head, his worst game of the season —but the P’s won with Bog and Evans stepping up. Another game where the shooting and scoring was spread around leading to the W. 

I did not see the first half o the Pacers game tonight but VO only played 5 minutes do to knee problem,