NBA Thread

I think in the end PG was ready to move on something different. Fortunately for the Pacers the trade worked out great.  I'm surprised PG stayed in OkC.

Westbrook doesn't make any players around him better like other big stars. Not even sure he tries unless it helps himself look better.  Then he snarls like he is something special. He likely stunted VO's development. VO was not as established yet so took a backseat to Russ.   Once given that opportunity in Indy VO really shined.  Obviously PG benefits from playing a year with Russ so the comfort level is better.  PG was also probably respected more as a replacement for KD.  Now, OKC had to rely on PG with Ruiss taking time to recover form injury and get into mid season form.  Now that russ has returned to mid season form and is Mr. Inefficient High Volume guy, I'm interested to see how long they stay cohesive.  Westbrook 3 point .pct has dropped from 29 to 21 percent and he is taking 5 threes per game to 4 last year.   He wore on Durant. How long before he PG gets tired of him. We probably won't know until Russ melts down in the playoffs but I predict it comes at some point. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ATX_sig said:

I think in the end PG was ready to move on something different. Fortunately for the Pacers the trade worked out great.  I'm surprised PG stayed in OkC.

Westbrook doesn't make any players around him better like other big stars. Not even sure he tries unless it helps himself look better.  Then he snarls like he is something special. He likely stunted VO's development. VO was not as established yet so took a backseat to Russ.   Once given that opportunity in Indy VO really shined.  Obviously PG benefits from playing a year with Russ so the comfort level is better.  PG was also probably respected more as a replacement for KD.  Now, OKC had to rely on PG with Ruiss taking time to recover form injury and get into mid season form.  Now that russ has returned to mid season form and is Mr. Inefficient High Volume guy, I'm interested to see how long they stay cohesive.  Westbrook 3 point .pct has dropped from 29 to 21 percent and he is taking 5 threes per game to 4 last year.   He wore on Durant. How long before he PG gets tired of him. We probably won't know until Russ melts down in the playoffs but I predict it comes at some point. 

Damn I didn't realize Russ is back to shooting more 3's, hopefully that's an aberation, as he had been reducing those shots. Russ is really an enigma, how a guy who can average a triple double does not help players around him (often true) is a difficult thing to grasp. The Thunder are playing some great ball though right now, and they were a game away from the Finals before choking, and Durant ran to the team that beat him (no respect for KD at all). If they get Roberson back, healthy and in time for the playoffs, I think they contend this season for the title. If they don't, they probably won't, but as of right now, they look to be the second or third best team in the West.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

To me the players are the employees and you do what your boss wants you to do. If I decided I did not like what my boss asked me to do I have two options do what they ask or look for another job.

The dynamics are different when you're making more than your boss and more valuable to the company than your boss. Pro sports is not the same things as working a regular job. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Damn I didn't realize Russ is back to shooting more 3's, hopefully that's an aberation, as he had been reducing those shots. Russ is really an enigma, how a guy who can average a triple double does not help players around him (often true) is a difficult thing to grasp. The Thunder are playing some great ball though right now, and they were a game away from the Finals before choking, and Durant ran to the team that beat him (no respect for KD at all). If they get Roberson back, healthy and in time for the playoffs, I think they contend this season for the title. If they don't, they probably won't, but as of right now, they look to be the second or third best team in the West.

I also must confess that as a Mavs fan that OKC and the Rox are the 2 teams I really don't like so there is probably some slant in my posts about those 2 teams.   I think OKC likely finishes with top 4 seed in the standings but are miles behind a full strength Warriors team and probably wind up a ways behind Lebron and the Lakers who are not  done tweaking around Lebron.  Adding chandler as a role player and leader was great for them and now they going for Ariza.    IMO, the Pels, Nugs and OKC are all about the same and  it is easy to add 4 or 5 more teams to that group.   Health matters a lot and if all at full strength, i like the Davis and the Pels but they seem the most fragile. 

1 hour ago, ATX_sig said:

I also must confess that as a Mavs fan that OKC and the Rox are the 2 teams I really don't like so there is probably some slant in my posts about those 2 teams.   I think OKC likely finishes with top 4 seed in the standings but are miles behind a full strength Warriors team and probably wind up a ways behind Lebron and the Lakers who are not  done tweaking around Lebron.  Adding chandler as a role player and leader was great for them and now they going for Ariza.    IMO, the Pels, Nugs and OKC are all about the same and  it is easy to add 4 or 5 more teams to that group.   Health matters a lot and if all at full strength, i like the Davis and the Pels but they seem the most fragile. 

The Mavs have a bright future, with the next Dirk. 

Still fairly early in the season, a little past the 1/4 mark, so too early to make solid predictions imo -- but, I don't see LeBron's Lakers as a contender or better than OKC, Nuggets and maybe a couple other teams. LeBron is such an amazing freak of nature he may still be good enough to carry that team towards a WC finals, but I don't think so. Thunder are legit, Nuggets are legit, both are deeper. Nuggets are not battle-tested deep in the playoffs, and they have tended to be up and down, so I'd put Thunder above them. Keep in mind that Roberson, if he gets back and healthy, would make a big time difference. Thunder are already a top defensive team, add him and they're a beast. Warriors are the Warriors, but they're no longer unbeatable. Hell the Rockets had them, until CPIII's injury. They would not have won but for that injury, and now with all the drama around Durant and nad-kicker Draymond, they're vulnerable. I can them losing in the WC Finals. Then again, they're still the Warriors. Should be a fun season.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

The Mavs have a bright future, with the next Dirk. 

Still fairly early in the season, a little past the 1/4 mark, so too early to make solid predictions imo -- but, I don't see LeBron's Lakers as a contender or better than OKC, Nuggets and maybe a couple other teams. LeBron is such an amazing freak of nature he may still be good enough to carry that team towards a WC finals, but I don't think so. Thunder are legit, Nuggets are legit, both are deeper. Nuggets are not battle-tested deep in the playoffs, and they have tended to be up and down, so I'd put Thunder above them. Keep in mind that Roberson, if he gets back and healthy, would make a big time difference. Thunder are already a top defensive team, add him and they're a beast. Warriors are the Warriors, but they're no longer unbeatable. Hell the Rockets had them, until CPIII's injury. They would not have won but for that injury, and now with all the drama around Durant and nad-kicker Draymond, they're vulnerable. I can them losing in the WC Finals. Then again, they're still the Warriors. Should be a fun season.

I hate injuries.  What about andre Iguodala and his injury?  

I expect your not a Rox fan but It is typical of their fans to ignore how the Warriors settled into cruise mode against them before Iggy disappeared with his injury. Warriors won Game 1 at Houston then blew them out by 40 at home in Game 3 to go up 2 games to 1.  GS took game 2 off after getting Home Court back and feeling in control.  To me they are their own worst enemy.  It followed a pattern of their playoff series in round 1 and 2 when they played a dud game after establishing control of the series.  After Game 3  Iggy missed games and the rox barely won the next 2 games.   Even in Game 4 the Warriors had Thompson hurt his knee and  he spent the half the rest of the game getting back his rythm once he did return.  It clearly impacted the outcome of that game.  IMO, Warriors finish them off in 5 with Iggy in Games 4 and 5. His importance to them can get overlooked at times.  

10 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Nope. The sour grapes on this board is comical.

I think you are misreading the situation. The far and away number one reason PG gets talked about is to get your goat. 

I'm a huge Pacers fan, talk about them all the time with friends and coworkers. We don't discuss PG. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, rico said:

That is what I thought when Magic played center.

My memory is not the greatest, how did that work out for him? 😀  The great ones just do what is asked. IIRC center as a rookie replacing the arguably the best center of all time.  In the NBA finals none the less

Edited by Billingsley99

2 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

My memory is not the greatest, how did that work out for him? 😀  The great ones just do what is asked. IIRC center as a rookie replacing the arguably the best center of all time.  In the NBA finals none the less

Game 6 of the '80 finals against the Sixers.  Scored 42 and 15 boards.

16 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

And I recently watched the Celtics vs Lakers documentary. Magic actually asked to play the role. 

51 minutes ago, rico said:

Game 6 of the '80 finals against the Sixers.  Scored 42 and 15 boards.

I remember magic being about the physicality of a LeBron without the massive hops and he also spent a lot of time backing guys down.  He's also regarded as a top 10 if not top 5 player of all time.  So we cherry pick one of the all time greats to be contrarian.  

Edited by NotIThatLives