NBA Thread

21 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

I guess I've never really discussed what he's done, it isn't relevant to what he is now in my mind. Can you explain why it is?

There's stats that show him out of the top 20 all together. @5fouls posted them on 247 and you got very upset IIRC. One of them is PER. 

Again, this should be simple, rank the NBA players. Stop when you get to PG so we can have an actual discussion and not a strawman. You say he is a clear top 10 guy and elite but consistently refuse to give us a comparison to prove that out. If you can't simply say the guys PG is better than then I'll assume it's because you know he isn't better than as many guys as you'd like for us to believe. 

Hmm. How on Earth do you assess a player while ignoring everything he's done? Of course it's relevant!  

I think what you're doing is the opposite -- you looked at one off year (which came after a strong year, and then with Bird's ridiculous roster moves, including Teague), and ignored everything he did before, in order to label him as maybe a top 15 player, which flies in the face of - yes, all he's done. You're trying to paint him based on an off year -- and you're also just disregarding what he did March forward, including the playoffs. That doesn't work.

Lol at the Fouls comment. No, I didn't get upset -- rather, the stats Fouls posted were that one year, only, and as I recall, FW_Hoosier then pointed that out, and pointed out several of his other stats including some I posted above, and then no one responded because there wasn't a response that could deny what FW pointed out.

You know I've posted who I consider top before, right? Didn't I say that the last time you asked me to post them again? Fwiw, I'm not sure I'd say he's a clear top 10 this year, I think he's in the 9-12 range. Gotta run (Go Astros!), but we can pick this up later -- 

10 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

That's great -- particularly because both were off early, Vic was like 2-10, and then they turned it around. Great to see Vic doing so well.

On the flip side, this also isn't a barometer game. Cavs have lost something like 3 straight home games (and to bad teams), I think the longest in LeBron's career. Things are not kosher in Cleveland right now

I respectfully disagree. This was a barometer win because is was the back end of a back to back at Cleveland.   Pavers were 0 and 2 this year on back end.  I believe last year's team would lose that game.  This team is finding ways to close.  Not saying they will even make playoffs but I think this win does tell us a lot

27 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I respectfully disagree. This was a barometer win because is was the back end of a back to back at Cleveland.   Pavers were 0 and 2 this year on back end.  I believe last year's team would lose that game.  This team is finding ways to close.  Not saying they will even make playoffs but I think this win does tell us a lot

I think they had lost like 12 straight games on the 2nd game of a back to back.  I think he is just trying to find any little excuse to not give the Pacers credit.

5 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Today's trivia.

When is 36.9 ppg <19.4 ppg 

Answer: when it's Vic and Sabonis vs PG.😃

I just know I have not enjoyed watching the Pacers the last few years and this year I really like watching this team.  They actually play great team basketball and share the ball well. Sabonis and Boronovich both really know how to play the game and are very fundamentally sound basketball players.

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

I have watched more games this year than the last 2 combined.  If PG leaves after this year I feel OKC got SCREWED in this deal. 

I already think that.  I know we keep getting warned about the small sample size and the "experts" felt like the Thunder overpaid Vic on his contract, but more and more the "experts" look wrong on this one.  They've completely discounted the heart factor on this trade. Vic is becoming a Hoosier legend right before our eyes.

21 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Interesting read, although I don't agree with it, I see what he is saying.  But in my mind OKC mortgaged their future for one run.

3 hours ago, rico said:

Interesting read, although I don't agree with it, I see what he is saying.  But in my mind OKC mortgaged their future for one run.

OKC locked in their future with this trade. I don’t think Russ resigns with OKC before the season without OKC going out and getting PG and Melo. I’m not saying I like their team, but showing Russ they’re not afraid to swing for the fences I believe is a big reason he resigned and didn’t at least entertain free agency/LA. Add to it that Vic was a terrible fit next to Russ, and it made sense for OKC. 

I’ll admit, I didn’t like the trade for Indy. I thought they should have gone for more flexibility (ie. First round picks and cap friendly deals). With that said, so far it’s looking really good for the Pacers, though it’s very early, I like how they look. Not sure what the ceiling is, but if Vic, Sabonis, Leaf and the big guy that’s out (can never remember his name) can develop as a core then they have a chance. I don’t think they’ll be better than Boston, Washington, Milwaukee and Philly over the next five years. But, if their core keeps it up, Indy might have free agents that want to join them. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

I didn't mean to downplay that it was a good win, just saying I don't think it's a barometer W -- The Cavs have lost 4 straight, they are 3-5. They just lost at home to the Knicks by 19. The simple fact is that Cleveland is playing poorly right now. That's not a slight to the P's -- a road W is a road W -- but it's not a barometer W. 

23 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Looking at that or the four rings. Four Rings are a nice blend of enthusiasm and comfort. 

The Four Rings are a nice ride for sure. On the high end, the RS7 is crazy fast. They don't appear to be making the RS5 this year, that's a racy coupe, but the S5 is a fun drive -- colleague of mine had one. If you're looking at buying and not leasing though, Four Rings are ridiculous to maintain, once you're out of warranty, it's like you're sending the car to college. Mercs aren't cheap upkeep either, but they tend to maintain better. Can't go wrong either way though, Four Rings are sweet.

52 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Houston needed it! Interesting, after Katrina, New Orleans won the Super Bowl. After Harvey, Houston wins the World Series. Should we hope for a flood in Bloomington?

Don't worry, the next eclipse goes through Indy and Bloomington and is in the day of the national title game. We got this. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

The Four Rings are a nice ride for sure. On the high end, the RS7 is crazy fast. They don't appear to be making the RS5 this year, that's a racy coupe, but the S5 is a fun drive -- colleague of mine had one. If you're looking at buying and not leasing though, Four Rings are ridiculous to maintain, once you're out of warranty, it's like you're sending the car to college. Mercs aren't cheap upkeep either, but they tend to maintain better. Can't go wrong either way though, Four Rings are sweet.

They actually brought back the RS5 this year and an RS3 as well. I'm looking at something in the 1-2 year CPO range to maximize warranty if I got the Audi route. 

RS7 is too pricey for me currently and the RS5's I could probably afford will be higher mileage. Trying to figure out if I will mind the size of a 3 or not, my wife had an A3 when they had just brought it back and it was a fun ride. If I could find a gently used RS3 I'd jump on it, but that's not an easy task. I may be content with an S3 or an S4. 90% of my time in the car will be commuting so it's not like I really need the extra performance, I do want it though. 

But the Merc... Love the C class after the upgrade in '15. If I could snag the AMG lite/C43 I'd be like a kid in a candy shop. It can't haul like your C63, but it's a hell of a car all the same. 

I still love Bimmer, but the 3 series needs an upgrade. Great driving cars, but they're very dated compared to Audi and Merc. 

20 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

I have watched more games this year than the last 2 combined.  If PG leaves after this year I feel OKC got SCREWED in this deal. 

I couldn't agree more with the first sentence, I actually find myself seeking out Pacer's games to watch this year instead of just watching a few games when I stumble on one. As for the second part, there is no way PG is staying in OKC to play third fiddle to Russ and Carmelo past this year, IMO. 

9 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

They actually brought back the RS5 this year and an RS3 as well. I'm looking at something in the 1-2 year CPO range to maximize warranty if I got the Audi route. 

RS7 is too pricey for me currently and the RS5's I could probably afford will be higher mileage. Trying to figure out if I will mind the size of a 3 or not, my wife had an A3 when they had just brought it back and it was a fun ride. If I could find a gently used RS3 I'd jump on it, but that's not an easy task. I may be content with an S3 or an S4. 90% of my time in the car will be commuting so it's not like I really need the extra performance, I do want it though. 

But the Merc... Love the C class after the upgrade in '15. If I could snag the AMG lite/C43 I'd be like a kid in a candy shop. It can't haul like your C63, but it's a hell of a car all the same. 

I still love Bimmer, but the 3 series needs an upgrade. Great driving cars, but they're very dated compared to Audi and Merc. 

Agree on Bimmers, and they're notoriously problematic after about 80,000 miles. I've had a 3 and 5-series, both were fine for about 50k miles and then everything went downhill fast (not in a good way). 

CPO is a great way to go especially with the Four Rings, with the extended CPO warranty. They tend to have electronics issues down the road, so the warranty coverage is a real plus. I think they compare very well, from a driving perspective, with the newer Mercs -- which are all now turbo. I got my C63 largely because it was the last naturally aspirated 6.2 liter 8, I love the sound and immediate torque of the naturally aspirated big liter engine -- but while I tuned by EC chip, you can get a much bigger tune out of a turbo . So if you want that performance to go along with your comfortable ride, you can always tune a turbo Four Rings or AMG turbo, which will get you the performance fast -- though it can void warranty, so you'll want a hand-held so you can revert back to normal setting when you take the car in..... (for my car, I tuned the chip and added an LSD (limited slip differential) along with some carbon fiber upgrades, now have about 550 hp and 470 lb foot torque, does 0-60 in 3.4 clocked with tire pressure and gas load low -- but a new c63-S turbo tuned right would leave me behind)

2 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Agree on Bimmers, and they're notoriously problematic after about 80,000 miles. I've had a 3 and 5-series, both were fine for about 50k miles and then everything went downhill fast (not in a good way). 

CPO is a great way to go especially with the Four Rings, with the extended CPO warranty. They tend to have electronics issues down the road, so the warranty coverage is a real plus. I think they compare very well, from a driving perspective, with the newer Mercs -- which are all now turbo. I got my C63 largely because it was the last naturally aspirated 6.2 liter 8, I love the sound and immediate torque of the naturally aspirated big liter engine -- but while I tuned by EC chip, you can get a much bigger tune out of a turbo . So if you want that performance to go along with your comfortable ride, you can always tune a turbo Four Rings or AMG turbo, which will get you the performance fast -- though it can void warranty, so you'll want a hand-held so you can revert back to normal setting when you take the car in..... (for my car, I tuned the chip and added an LSD (limited slip differential) along with some carbon fiber upgrades, now have about 550 hp and 470 lb foot torque, does 0-60 in 3.4 clocked with tire pressure and gas load low -- but a new c63-S turbo tuned right would leave me behind)

I hear you on the electronics issue with Audi. I had one with a Q5 just after the warranty ended a few years ago. I don't typically keep cars more than a few years so if I get a CPO with 4-5 years left on warranty I should be covered for the life of my ownership.