NBA Thread

52 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

To me, there are more questions about the 76ers and Celtics when it comes to who they are beating. Both teams, along with the Pacers, are below .500 against teams above .500 (the Celtics struggling more so than the other two). But the Pacers are doing a much better job against teams they should beat. It's not a negative for the Pacers that they are crushing teams they should and the 76ers and Celtics aren't.

The Pacers have also split with all of their East competition with the exception of Toronto, so not really worried about how they matchup with anyone but Toronto.

image.png.d3ffe3e40bcd057dfcf5b5ed20dc41fc.png

Oh I agree about the C’s in particular, again started with the point there are some real chemistry issues there - but they may figure it out, and while I’m not a big Kyrie fan, he’s an experienced gamer in the playoffs. Also complimented the P’s for beating the teams they should beat, never called it a negative. The Sixers often leave me scratching my head. I’d still pick the P’s over them.

Toronto and the Bucks are legit though. Either of those teams against the P’s would (or will) make for a great playoff series.

• Like 1

Is it just me or has Oladipo regressed some and lost confidence? It looks like he has lost his swagger! Is he dealing with an injury still or he saw what he needed to do and it has messed with him? I just am not understanding how he is not himself. It's like he doesn't even look that happy out there and have that smirk or grin on his face that he had at the beginning of the year. I am wondering what everyone's take is going on with him. 

1 minute ago, ButlerHoosier said:

Is it just me or has Oladipo regressed some and lost confidence? It looks like he has lost his swagger! Is he dealing with an injury still or he saw what he needed to do and it has messed with him? I just am not understanding how he is not himself. It's like he doesn't even look that happy out there and have that smirk or grin on his face that he had at the beginning of the year. I am wondering what everyone's take is going on with him. 

He hasn't had to do it all this year like he did last year. That's it.

On 1/15/2019 at 7:44 PM, KoB2011 said:

I have always said Kyrie is really talented and puts up great numbers. It's also pretty obvious a lot of guys have regressed with him back in the lineup. 

We are approaching close to a decade of Kyrie and in all those years we have a single series to point to him elevating his team to new heights (I think we are over crediting him with that but will let it go for sake of discussion). We saw Duke not miss a beat without him, we saw him lead Cleveland to two number one overall picks in a really bad East, we saw Boston not miss a beat last year without him, and now we see Boston regressing with him this year as his presence has stunted the growth of some promising young players. At what point is it fair to question if a guy who doesn't play defense and doesn't do a good job as a facilitator doesn't actually impact winning?

I agree that you probably won’t win a title with Kyrie as your best player. I agree that it’s really hard to win a title with a point guard (predominantly scoring point guard) as your best player. I don’t think you’re winning a title with any of the following guys as your best player, Wall, Westbrook, Chris Paul (even in prime), Kyrie, etc.

But, to say he doesn’t elevate his team isn’t accurate. He’s played much improved defense since coming to Boston and has blended in more than he has in the past. Boston was absolutely a better team with him than the year before with IT. If you saw the Toronto game tonight, Kyrie won the Celtics the game the last 4 minutes hitting huge shots and distributing. He finished with 27pts, on an extremely efficient 11-for-19 shooting, to go with 18ast (three straight during a crucial stretch the last 2:30 that won the game). 

It was just one game, but Kyrie absolutely dominated the last 4-5 minutes. Can he do that leading a team in a 7 game series in the Eastern Conference Finals? I don’t know. But, I also don’t know if Oladipo, Giannis, Embiid, or anyone in the East outside of Kawaii can. 

I do agree that for this Celtics group to win titles, they probably need to package some of the young assets and picks for another star to go with Kyrie. Obviously Anthony Davis would be the target. 

18 minutes ago, KDB said:

Harden scored 58 in a 145-142 OT loss to the Nets.

Spencer Dinwiddie scored 33 for the Nets.

Harden's scoring is just flat out ridiculous. That said, right now it's because he is the Rockets. No CPIII, no one else stepping up as a scorer, now down Capella. He is going to burn out, and there's no way he'll be able to do this in the playoffs -- where he usually regresses. It is amazing though what he has done offensively so far. 

1 hour ago, KDB said:

Harden scored 58 in a 145-142 OT loss to the Nets.

Spencer Dinwiddie scored 33 for the Nets.

You opened the door for mile.

Edit:  Geez I had to look up the boxscore on the game.  Houston attempted....get this, 70 3-pt. shot attempts.  70!

Edited by rico

No discussion of Thomas Bryant’s game winning layup that got called for goaltending today??  And Vonleh hit the go ahead shot for the Knicks just before that.  They’ve both been starting this season, good to see them have some success.

http://www.espn.com/nba/recap?gameId=401071341

Edited by FW_Hoosier
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

No discussion of Thomas Bryant’s game winning layup that got called for goaltending today??  And Vonleh hit the go ahead shot for the Knicks just before that.  They’ve both been starting this season, good to see them have some success.

Happy that Thomas has found success.  I always liked him and thought he always gave max effort at IU.

Vonleh....I could care less about.  

• Like 1

After last nights game, here is what I am thinking.  My fear was a lot of teams did not know how to defend and adjust to Vic during his breakout season last year because they hadn't seen it in previous years. After the start of last year my worry was he would regress and that maybe it was a fluke during the first quarter of last season with how efficient he was. As the season went on, he continued to impress in all areas, hit big shots, do the small things, preach chemistry, win awards, take a Lebron led team in the playoffs to a 7 game series, the list goes on and on. I do think he has came back down to earth some this year. My biggest worry was his shooting percentage last year and that has been starting to show for this year.  If he shoots the ball at a respectable rate, it will be deemed a good game. But if he is shooting 6 of 20(last nights game), that cannot become the norm, and if it starts too, I hope he realizes that and does not continue that trend if his shot from outside isn't falling. I would hope he would attack the rim more. If he is attacking the rim and just not getting fouls called or missing these, then I am fine with him having a lower field goal percentage But if he is going to settle for jump shots and 3-pointers, I am a little worried. I understand to keep attacking, but at what point do you stop attacking?

I am a huge Victor fan and always will be, so no one take this as I am attacking him. 

27 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

After last nights game, here is what I am thinking.  My fear was a lot of teams did not know how to defend and adjust to Vic during his breakout season last year because they hadn't seen it in previous years. After the start of last year my worry was he would regress and that maybe it was a fluke during the first quarter of last season with how efficient he was. As the season went on, he continued to impress in all areas, hit big shots, do the small things, preach chemistry, win awards, take a Lebron led team in the playoffs to a 7 game series, the list goes on and on. I do think he has came back down to earth some this year. My biggest worry was his shooting percentage last year and that has been starting to show for this year.  If he shoots the ball at a respectable rate, it will be deemed a good game. But if he is shooting 6 of 20(last nights game), that cannot become the norm, and if it starts too, I hope he realizes that and does not continue that trend if his shot from outside isn't falling. I would hope he would attack the rim more. If he is attacking the rim and just not getting fouls called or missing these, then I am fine with him having a lower field goal percentage But if he is going to settle for jump shots and 3-pointers, I am a little worried. I understand to keep attacking, but at what point do you stop attacking?

I am a huge Victor fan and always will be, so no one take this as I am attacking him. 

A bunch of us were talking at the start of the season about whether teams would game plan better for Vic, whether he would press a bit, and whether the P's were better off playing more to their new balance of players/offense than having Vic do it all -- last season he pretty much had to do it all and yes it does take time for teams to adjust. I caught a lot of flack saying I thought the P's would be better off balancing their O and that teams would adjust to Vic. Vic is a fantastic player, he has risen his game to a top 15-20 player or so depending on how anyone personally "ranks" him. I do think the P's are better off when they balance their O more, and unlike last season they've won games when Vic was out due to injury.

However, I also think we're seeing mid-season of the regular season stuff, when good teams lose games and lack energy etc. The P's are a lot better than last night. Vic is a lot better than last night. Similar thing going on with the Thunder, who lost at home to a Lebron-less Lakers team after losing at Atlanta, and Westbrook shot horribly and had a lot to do with their losing. P's will be fine, I think, just like the Thunder. Wouldn't read too much into this point in the year -- and they're still towards the top of the standings.

4 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

A bunch of us were talking at the start of the season about whether teams would game plan better for Vic, whether he would press a bit, and whether the P's were better off playing more to their new balance of players/offense than having Vic do it all -- last season he pretty much had to do it all and yes it does take time for teams to adjust. I caught a lot of flack saying I thought the P's would be better off balancing their O and that teams would adjust to Vic. Vic is a fantastic player, he has risen his game to a top 15-20 player or so depending on how anyone personally "ranks" him. I do think the P's are better off when they balance their O more, and unlike last season they've won games when Vic was out due to injury.

However, I also think we're seeing mid-season of the regular season stuff, when good teams lose games and lack energy etc. The P's are a lot better than last night. Vic is a lot better than last night. Similar thing going on with the Thunder, who lost at home to a Lebron-less Lakers team after losing at Atlanta, and Westbrook shot horribly and had a lot to do with their losing. P's will be fine, I think, just like the Thunder. Wouldn't read too much into this point in the year -- and they're still towards the top of the standings.

Yea I agree with you 100%.  Balance the offense, stick with what you have been doing on defense and they'll be fine.  I think Vic will get out of the shooting funk, I just hope it is not a long one. 

• Like 1

On 1/17/2019 at 11:32 PM, FW_Hoosier said:

Good to see them both have success. Was watching NBA live the other day and was surprised to hear a Philly guy basically begging the 76ers to do whatever they can to get Vonleh. I know he barely unpacked his bags while at IU but it was nice to hear. We can debate what he did with the talent he had but not many coaches can say they have 6-7  guys ( Zeller, OG, Yogi, Vic, Vonleh, Bryant, Troy (on/off)) in the league playing and contributing. Can't imagine more than 5 other coaches can say that. The more I type the more sad I get. Haha.

• Like 1

Wasn't sure where to put this so feel free to move. Was listening to radio this morning while waiting on snowpalooza that is all rain right now. Anyway the discussion of one and done or players going overseas instead of going to college,etc....and the point being made was this. ESPN and Duke have made Zion millions this season just in exposure alone. Very talented we know that but that type of exposure can't be quantified if playing overseas. 

Just a random thought on players in the future after CBA rules change. I still think kids (especially top 10 types like Romeo) will still go to college. They just can't get the exposure overseas. 

3 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Wasn't sure where to put this so feel free to move. Was listening to radio this morning while waiting on snowpalooza that is all rain right now. Anyway the discussion of one and done or players going overseas instead of going to college,etc....and the point being made was this. ESPN and Duke have made Zion millions this season just in exposure alone. Very talented we know that but that type of exposure can't be quantified if playing overseas. 

Just a random thought on players in the future after CBA rules change. I still think kids (especially top 10 types like Romeo) will still go to college. They just can't get the exposure overseas. 

Zion is not a good example that dude could have signed a Nike contract for a hundred-million-dollar straight out of high school

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Good to see them both have success. Was watching NBA live the other day and was surprised to hear a Philly guy basically begging the 76ers to do whatever they can to get Vonleh. I know he barely unpacked his bags while at IU but it was nice to hear. We can debate what he did with the talent he had but not many coaches can say they have 6-7  guys ( Zeller, OG, Yogi, Vic, Vonleh, Bryant, Troy (on/off)) in the league playing and contributing. Can't imagine more than 5 other coaches can say that. The more I type the more sad I get. Haha.

Yeah, I have no hard feelings for Vonleh anymore really... He’s obviously my least favorite of the former IU players currently in the league, but I’m still glad to see him do well.  For all his flaws, Crean really did do a great job of developing players for the NBA at IU.  Was weird how he lost so much recruiting momentum with so many players doing well in the pros.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Yeah, I have no hard feelings for Vonleh anymore really... He’s obviously my least favorite of the former IU players currently in the league, but I’m still glad to see him do well.  For all his flaws, Crean really did do a great job of developing players for the NBA at IU.  Was weird how he lost so much recruiting momentum with so many players doing well in the pros.

Yep. I'm sure we'll eventually find out the answers but going from Yogi/Zeller/Vic to the swings was hard to understand. Maybe that Cuse game really was the nail for coaches in this state. Or perhaps Crean ran out of high character families in the state who didn't need the help. Oh well. Chalk it up to another missed window over the last 20 years. 

43 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

I’m in the same camp on Vonleh, didn’t do much while at IU but it’s still good to see him do well in the League, and he’s stepped it up over the last year. On Crean I tend to think it was his inability to build depth, prepare for departures, and his loss of trust with or commitment to high school programs and coaches 

• Like 1