NBA Thread

14 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Pacers are going to be damn sure he's ready before he comes back.  Parker may have come back in 6 months, but he's a different style player with a different role.  I think we could be looking after the all star break next season and would not be surprised if he waited until the start of '20-'21.

Very true.  I would make sure he is 110% healthy, not 90% or 95% before returning.  He could possibly end up playing a bench role for the 19-20 season assuming he returns then 

^^ I'd envision a return much like PG's. Comes in late season next year, plays in a few games to get his legs under him again, not pushing it, works his tail off over next summer, returns 100%. They absolutely will not, and should not, rush him back. 

I was really tempted to add a flip comment, that thank God Bird's gone so he doesn't come back and get asked to play the 4. Lol. 

Good luck Vic, take your time, you'll be back big time when you're ready.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, rico said:

I see Bryant didn't get much PT tonight, did he get hurt?

Nope. And when he did play he pretty much dominated his matchup vs Cousins.  Even got in Cousins head a bit. Started following a few Wizards guys last month and the sentiment of why isn't he getting 30 minutes per game is growing. By all accounts Bryant is a fan favorite because of his insane FG% and hustle. 

Sure would be nice to have him opposite of Morgan right now. Haha.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Nope. And when he did play he pretty much dominated his matchup vs Cousins.  Even got in Cousins head a bit. Started following a few Wizards guys last month and the sentiment of why isn't he getting 30 minutes per game is growing. By all accounts Bryant is a fan favorite because of his insane FG% and hustle. 

Sure would be nice to have him opposite of Morgan right now. Haha.

The dude gives it all he has every second he is on the floor.  I really like Thomas.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Scary part is he's only 21. He keeps doing his thing and the Lakers might have to ask themselves why in the world they dumped or gave up on him so quickly. 

I'm a Lakers fan. The day that we released Thomas and kept Zubac, I didn't see a single fan on social media who wanted Zubac rather than Bryant. 

Ivica was coming off of a poor second season after a promising rookie year. Thankfully, he is improved this year and is playing well right now. 

1 minute ago, KDB said:

I'm a Lakers fan. The day that we released Thomas and kept Zubac, I didn't see a single fan on social media who wanted Zubac rather than Bryant. 

Ivica was coming off of a poor second season after a promising rookie year. Thankfully, he is improved this year and is playing well right now. 

Grew up a Lakers fan. Dad was a Celtics fan so I naturally chose the opposite. My interest in Lakers started to fade with Kobe. Mostly because of off the court stuff. Still keep tabs on them and got excited when TB joined....only to have them move on so quickly. Really wishing the best for Bryant. Bigs that can run the floor and give max effort will always get the contract to set them up. 

6 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I can't link on my phone, but there is a very informative article on CBSSPORTS.COM with a Dr. Benner about the injury and what we can expect.

This is where this particular doctor sums it up:

CBS SPORTS: Bottom line, do you expect Oladipo to make a full recovery?

DR. BENNER: The hard part is even if you get full range of motion back, even if you get all the strength back, there is that unknown part of the equation. Professional athletes have to put incredible stress on that muscle and tendon, whereas a normal person who sustains this injury, they're just looking to restore continuity of the muscle and get as much of the motion and function back as they can. They want to walk normal. Things like that. Victor Oladipo is an incredibly explosive and dynamic athlete. That's one of the things that makes him so special. So he has loftier expectations, or a higher bar if you will, for his recovery. 

From a medical standpoint, the tendon is going to heal. If he is able to get his full motion and all the strength in his muscle back, he will be able to return to the explosive athlete he's been. But the thing is: it's hard to recover all that. There is no question that there are some aspects of an injury that might be insurmountable. Results differ from person to person, surgeon to surgeon, athletic trainer to athletic trainer. You just don't know until you get into the rehab and see how the athlete responds, and really, once he's back out there competing and being explosive and athletic. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/why-one-knee-doctor-says-victor-oladipos-ruptured-quadriceps-tendon-is-worse-than-an-acl-tear/

And here's a 2016 opinion from a "renowned" doctor in the field regarding Griffin's injury:

Sadly for those like the Clippers power forward who suffer from a partially torn quadriceps tendon, the root of the injury can also prevent it from healing.

"The activity that caused it, is unfortunately the way he makes his living," said T.O. Souryal, former president of the NBA Physicians Assn. and a Dallas Mavericks team doctor for more than 22 years.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/clippers/la-sp-clippers-report-20160412-story.html

Griffin, of course, is also an explosive athlete who is fully back.

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, KDB said:

Anthony Davis has requested a trade per Woj

Will be interesting to follow the fallout. Did he do Pelicans a favor by making his intentions clear well before trade deadline, draft,etc....so Pelicans have best chance to maximize what they get back? Or will he be viewed like Paul George who just 6 days before draft leaked his intentions via media? My guess is while Pelicans fans might be ticked they might realize this gives their GM the longest time to max value for his services. Tough one. 

43 minutes ago, KDB said:

Anthony Davis has requested a trade per Woj

Not great news for the Celtics. The Celtics have, by a fairly wide margin, the best assets to put together a trade for Anthony Davis, but this was Davis, Rich Paul and LeBron all saying the goal is to get him to the Lakers. Kyrie and Davis both have a certain type of contract where you can only have one of them on the team at a time, so the Celtics can't acquire Davis until this summer after Kyrie resigns and no longer has that type of contract. 

Davis is normally a pretty loyal guy to New Orleans and could have handled this quietly over the summer without really requesting a trade so he'd maintain his good will, but this is him basically saying 'get me to the Lakers'. This clearly was a message to the Lakers to act now and get this done. 

10 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Not great news for the Celtics. The Celtics have, by a fairly wide margin, the best assets to put together a trade for Anthony Davis, but this was Davis, Rich Paul and LeBron all saying the goal is to get him to the Lakers. Kyrie and Davis both have a certain type of contract where you can only have one of them on the team at a time, so the Celtics can't acquire Davis until this summer after Kyrie resigns and no longer has that type of contract. 

Davis is normally a pretty loyal guy to New Orleans and could have handled this quietly over the summer without really requesting a trade so he'd maintain his good will, but this is him basically saying 'get me to the Lakers'. This clearly was a message to the Lakers to act now and get this done. 

If I am the Pelicans I wouldn't trade him at the trade deadline but at draft time.  the Celtics can give a way better package than can the Lakers so I would wait on them to see what they are willing to give up.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

If I am the Pelicans I wouldn't trade him at the trade deadline but at draft time.  the Celtics can give a way better package than can the Lakers so I would wait on them to see what they are willing to give up.

This is exactly what the guys on 97.5 said this morning.  Wait till summer more offers more leverage.  

• Like 1

If I'm Lakers I go ahead and do it.  They will still be able to put together a decent roster of guys getting waived near the deadline.  Then next summer possibly add Khawi who just bought a 12 million dollar house in LA.  With those 3, who cares about salary cap and they would have plenty of old vet ring chasers willing to join.  

Edited by NotIThatLives

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Fully agree. There is really no reason for the Pelicans to acquiesce to LeBron and the Lakers right now. Wait until the summer or next year, then you have the Celtics' offer, and maybe another team. Pels have AD for another full year under contract. Zero reason for them to help out the Lakers now.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

If I'm Lakers I go ahead and do it.  They will still be able to put together a decent roster of guys getting waived near the deadline.  Then next summer possibly add Khawi who just bought a 12 million dollar house in LA.  With those 3, who cares about salary cap and they would have plenty of old vet ring chasers willing to join.  

Lakers absolutely want to do it. But no reason for the Pelicans to help them.

• Like 1

Looks like a 4 team race between Cleveland, Chicago, Phoenix, and New York for worst team in NBA with more than likely draft rights to Zion. Unless the Lakers offer up something unreal (like 3-4 first round picks which won't be higher than what 18-20 range?) I'm waiting to see which of the franchises I mentioned want to pony up the most 1st round picks. Davis is from Chicago so maybe they could package a ton of picks? 

We all know Davis wants LA but if I'm Pelicans I'm holding out. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

Looks like a 4 team race between Cleveland, Chicago, Phoenix, and New York for worst team in NBA with more than likely draft rights to Zion. Unless the Lakers offer up something unreal (like 3-4 first round picks which won't be higher than what 18-20 range?) I'm waiting to see which of the franchises I mentioned want to pony up the most 1st round picks. Davis is from Chicago so maybe they could package a ton of picks? 

We all know Davis wants LA but if I'm Pelicans I'm holding out. 

I don't see any of those teams trading for him because they would only have him for one year because he would not resign with any of those teams.