NBA Thread

12 hours ago, BADGERVOL said:

Bucks with another win. Almost have home court clinched through playoffs.

Bucks look great. Playoffs are a different animal in the NBA, will be interesting to see how they do, their youth could be an issue along with the slow-down half-court bang in the playoffs, but they are definitely playing great ball at this point.

2 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Bucks look great. Playoffs are a different animal in the NBA, will be interesting to see how they do, their youth could be an issue along with the slow-down half-court bang in the playoffs, but they are definitely playing great ball at this point.

I am also holding my breath. The only subtle confidence I have is that they don’t seem to carry themselves as “youthful.” I can’t remember a time when such a young team seems to NEVER get too high or too low. When any of them make great plays they simply run down court high five and are zoned in on Defense. There’s very little “flash” or “swag” about them. They just go to work. That’s the part that excites me.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

I am also holding my breath. The only subtle confidence I have is that they don’t seem to carry themselves as “youthful.” I can’t remember a time when such a young team seems to NEVER get too high or too low. When any of them make great plays they simply run down court high five and are zoned in on Defense. There’s very little “flash” or “swag” about them. They just go to work. That’s the part that excites me.

They're a really good team, and have a good looking future. Greek Freak needs to develop an outside jumper (much like a young LeBron needed to), when he does.... 

• Like 1

Also I am worried that Pacers even with Vic is just going to be stuck where they are good enough to be competitive and make the playoffs but never compete for a championship.  You will never build a championship team picking in the middle or the lower part of the draft.  In NBA you either have to be able to bring in multiple top free agents or suck for 3 or 4 years to get top draft picks.  Right now the pacers can't do either one so they are in a holding pattern hat will be hard to get out of.

11 hours ago, BADGERVOL said:

Giannis or James Harden for MVP boys? What’s your pick? Who deserves it?

Great question.  Tie?  Harden had arguably the most ridiculous scoring stretch ever and Giannis just keeps getting better and leading his team to wins(the most).  I wish they would wait until playoffs are over because if either one gets bounced in the first round or 2 it seems to cheapen it.  

Another thought.  Westbrook, 3 straight years avg a triple double.  Recently had a double triple double, only ever done one other time in history.  This is all done is his 'worst' season of the 3.  How sweet it would be to see Golden State implode and lose first round.  Durant goes to Knicks and they continue to implode.   

It will be Greek Freak. Best record etc. Harden's streak has been pretty amazing on pure scoring, but it's also been a team that has just turned the ball over to him and had him be the offense, as in almost the entire offense. Then there's his lousy D. I'd pick G. I might've picked PG earlier but his scoring and the Thunder's record have gone down, while the Thunder went through the most difficult schedule in the League over the last quarter season. 

59 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

It will be Greek Freak. Best record etc. Harden's streak has been pretty amazing on pure scoring, but it's also been a team that has just turned the ball over to him and had him be the offense, as in almost the entire offense. Then there's his lousy D. I'd pick G. I might've picked PG earlier but his scoring and the Thunder's record have gone down, while the Thunder went through the most difficult schedule in the League over the last quarter season. 

I know I’m tainted as a Bucks fan but this is how I see it also. It seems like now a days people don’t even look at defense. I always remember that being s legit part of the equation for determining how good a player was. I mean that is HALF of your job in the game of basketball. 

^^

Greek Freak: Bucks will end the year with the best record in the League. Giannis 3rd overall in PPG, 6th in boards, 10th in blocks

Harden: Looks like Houston will finish 3rd or 2nd in the West. Harden 1st in PPG by a wide margin at 36.1, 2nd in steals & spg.

PG: Thunder will finish 6th or 7th in the West (toughest schedule over last quarter). PG 1st in steals / spg, 2nd in PPG (28.1), 3rd in 3-pointer made, at 39%.  

I think the voting will be in that order, and fairly. I'd have PG second if the Thunder hadn't fallen off over the last 15 games or so.

Steals are important but not truly reflective of defensive contribution - PG has been one of the top, if not the top pick for defensive MVP all year.