NBA Thread

54 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Some interesting discussion on NBA radio on an "adjustment" the Bucks could make. Move Giannis off playing from the top with mostly 4 guys on the perimeter. Have him move the ball more, and either start Hill or have him play more minutes. The Bucks' offense is up and down, Bledsoe is not effective in this series, Hill is playing well, and running an offense with Giannis from the top allows the Raps to build a wall (against which he struggles). When the shots are falling from the outside for the Bucks they look better, but that's a weakness and it's correctable.

Could be he's just not comfortable there, but I've always thought that when teams are defending Giannis well with the "wall" and forcing him into out of control situations, I would put him on the block. Defenses would have to double him, but by operating out of the block he'd have time to see where the double is coming from, and since he wouldn't be on fly/move, as he is in the middle of the court, he'd be more under control. It would force the defense to be the decision maker and he can just read off what they're doing. 

51 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Could be he's just not comfortable there, but I've always thought that when teams are defending Giannis well with the "wall" and forcing him into out of control situations, I would put him on the block. Defenses would have to double him, but by operating out of the block he'd have time to see where the double is coming from, and since he wouldn't be on fly/move, as he is in the middle of the court, he'd be more under control. It would force the defense to be the decision maker and he can just read off what they're doing. 

Yes that's another potential route here, agreed, but like you I am not sure how comfortable he is and effective he would be on the block. I haven't watched him long enough to feel I can comfortably say he's better moving through the lane and attacking the rim, but that's my impression at this point. Better movement, including ball movement with the perimeter players also would open things up for him. Interested to see what the Bucks do in Game 5. Bud is a good coach, have to think we'll see some changes.

• Like 1

Side note -- Drake is once again (as he has done with Paul George) trying to make himself the focus of attention and acting like a complete tool, and fool.

Drake clearly has been enjoying Giannis Antetokounmpo's struggles during the Eastern Conference finals, but the superstar rapper's antics are rubbing some people the wrong way.

A senior executive for Octagon, the agency that represents Antetokounmpo, tweeted Wednesday that he has "never seen anything as disrespectful" as Drake's repeated trolling of Antetokounmpo ...

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26800531/giannis-rep-rips-drake-trolling-bucks-star

Honestly, if Giannis comes out and crushes it in Game 5, Raps fans might want to take a look at Drake

Imagine a gig & an athlete on VIP seats, right next to the band, stands up on the stage just to show off during the entire game, knowing cameras are on him, occasionally even massaging the singer. Security&him both allow it. Never seen anything as disrespectful as this before...

I would move Giannis off the ball. Run him off screens or use him in pick n roll and try to get him the ball around the elbow...he could have mismatches but at worse would be a dribble away from getting to the rim. It would loosen up the defense, create mismatches, if you try to help off it opens up 3s for Mirotic and Lopez but it gets people out of position when guarding him and allows him to use his length and athleticism to get an easy jumper in the lane or drive to the rim. Whatever the case iso at the top of the key against Leonard the guy that basically shut down Lebron...yeah not smart.

It’s kind of odd - 2 games ago I would have said the Bucks are the better team. They are not the better team right now, their offense is just limited and they came out in game 4 and tried the same offense and then didn’t adjust at all.

The 4 guys on the perimeter thing with Giannis at the top probably won’t win this series — I say probably only because Kawhi is playing injured and Bucks have home court advantage. 

I have to think the Bucks will mix it up for Game 5, but if Toronto wins it they’ll win the series. Assuming the Bucks win Game 5, whether Toronto stands strong will probably come down to how effective Kawhi can be.

• Like 1

This is another area where the development of a young LeBron and Giannis are similar: they've both got good size, and were/are ridiculous athletes, but they haven't figured out how to consistently leverage that size into an advantage. G is 6'11", Kawhi is 6'7". Seems like putting him down low and forcing Toronto into either the size mismatch or putting someone else on him would be obvious. At this stage though, I wouldn't bet against Kawhi being savvy enough to keep him in check.

41 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

This is another area where the development of a young LeBron and Giannis are similar: they've both got good size, and were/are ridiculous athletes, but they haven't figured out how to consistently leverage that size into an advantage. G is 6'11", Kawhi is 6'7". Seems like putting him down low and forcing Toronto into either the size mismatch or putting someone else on him would be obvious. At this stage though, I wouldn't bet against Kawhi being savvy enough to keep him in check.

Kawhi is stronger than Giannis..especially in his base..and he also has a 7’3 wingspan...it doesn’t negate the height but Giannis is not going to win posting up Kawhi. Let’s be real...Kawhi with his wingspan and hand size etc was the freak before the Greek came along...he just is wiser and more Wiley too. The advantage is Kawhi is limited with his mobility...so the key would be to run him all over the court and wear him out chasing off screens etc...Toronto needs Kawhi scoring more than even the Bucks need Giannis. Bucks should win it out because of their shooting and home court but I would not want to face Kawhi in a game 7...nope.

• Like 1

Kawhi is the best defender in the League, Giannis is a freak athlete and uber long but trying to beat Kawhi is not a winning solution — except that Kawhi is playing injured right now with not enough time to rest — still it’s not like Giannis can dictate who defends him.

Giannis can try playing in and out of the block like Gleas referenced, and/or playing more of a facilitator game moving the ball (as he did against Boston) while drawing defenders and then swinging it or kicking it back out. Running into the wall of defenders is just low IQ ball 

• Like 1

Siap on OG:

Forward OG Anunoby, on the other hand, remains "a ways away" from contributing after undergoing an emergency appendectomy last month.

"OG does not have a timetable for coming back," Nurse said. "He is being more active every day. I think we are getting closer to a point where we're -- you know, unpack is the next step for him. He's moving pretty good, he's shooting, etc., but still a ways away from being able to take hits and contact in the areas that he needs to test out, I guess."

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26802556/lowry-playing-pain-kawhi-feeling-good

1 hour ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Maybe. GS is playing great ball - without KD.

But Toronto just won 3 in a row against the team with the best record, who hadn’t lost 2 in a row, with Kawhi at less than 100 percent, and from down 2. I’d say 6

To your point, even if the Warriors do roll in the Finals like I think they will against either team, Kawhi is playing on another level right now.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

Remember when Kawhi and the Spurs more beating the crap out of this same rendition of the Warriors when that stupid Pikachu undercut Kawhi ending his season and the series?

Yes, and that was a deliberate dirty foul that almost cost Kawhi his career.

i’ll be rooting for Kawhi, assuming they make it past the Bucks

Btw, lol @ "Pikachu" 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Yes, and that was a deliberate dirty foul that almost cost Kawhi his career.

i’ll be rooting for Kawhi, assuming they make it past the Bucks

Btw, lol @ "Pikachu" 

I'm torn.  Do I call him ZaZa Pikachu now, or keep calling him Zaza Pachouli?

• Haha 2

On 5/22/2019 at 11:08 AM, Hoosierhoopster said:

Side note -- Drake is once again (as he has done with Paul George) trying to make himself the focus of attention and acting like a complete tool, and fool.

Drake clearly has been enjoying Giannis Antetokounmpo's struggles during the Eastern Conference finals, but the superstar rapper's antics are rubbing some people the wrong way.

A senior executive for Octagon, the agency that represents Antetokounmpo, tweeted Wednesday that he has "never seen anything as disrespectful" as Drake's repeated trolling of Antetokounmpo ...

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26800531/giannis-rep-rips-drake-trolling-bucks-star

Honestly, if Giannis comes out and crushes it in Game 5, Raps fans might want to take a look at Drake

Imagine a gig & an athlete on VIP seats, right next to the band, stands up on the stage just to show off during the entire game, knowing cameras are on him, occasionally even massaging the singer. Security&him both allow it. Never seen anything as disrespectful as this before...

Apparently octagon didn’t represent Reggie Miller back in the 90s when Spike Lee was doing basically the same thing. Difference is Reggie put him in his place...Giannis is air balling free throws. This isn’t unique. I’ve seen this show before...and Reggie played it better. 

Now not to make this too edgy but I will say this. Instead of Drake make this guy a rich fat white dude....could you imagine how differently this would have been handled? Toronto should just let Drake be known now...cheer, yell, stand up....but you take one step down the sideline except to go to the little girls room and you will be outside watching on the big screen like the masses. NBA doesn’t want to start this trend because they wouldn’t let anyone else get away with it not named Drake. Ok...my two cents lol

On 5/24/2019 at 10:23 AM, NotIThatLives said:

Remember when Kawhi and the Spurs more beating the crap out of this same rendition of the Warriors when that stupid Pikachu undercut Kawhi ending his season and the series?

That happens all the time...I remember Jalen Rose doing it to Kobe Bryant in the finals. (Except Kobe played through it and still destroyed us) We’ve seen the Warriors come back against tons of teams and we all know 1 game doesn’t equate to a series. Warriors would still have beat Spurs. One thing to remember is the Warriors move the ball and offensively cut and screen unlike any team in the league...Bucks are making themselves easy to guard...stand around and wait for someone to draw a defender so they can shoot. Raptors won’t have that luxury against Steph and Klay. I’m sure Kawhi will play great but Iguadala won’t let him get to all the places on the court he wants...a cerebral defender with insane athleticism in his own right. That all said I’m not sure Toronto can continue its hot shooting depending on FVP...that’s dangerous assumption...I would not be surprised to see Bucks come back and win it.

5 hours ago, dgambill said:

That happens all the time...I remember Jalen Rose doing it to Kobe Bryant in the finals. (Except Kobe played through it and still destroyed us) We’ve seen the Warriors come back against tons of teams and we all know 1 game doesn’t equate to a series. Warriors would still have beat Spurs. One thing to remember is the Warriors move the ball and offensively cut and screen unlike any team in the league...Bucks are making themselves easy to guard...stand around and wait for someone to draw a defender so they can shoot. Raptors won’t have that luxury against Steph and Klay. I’m sure Kawhi will play great but Iguadala won’t let him get to all the places on the court he wants...a cerebral defender with insane athleticism in his own right. That all said I’m not sure Toronto can continue its hot shooting depending on FVP...that’s dangerous assumption...I would not be surprised to see Bucks come back and win it.

The Spurs are the team on which GS’s ball movement is based. They moved the ball better than anyone. Saying they would’ve rebounded from the tail whipping Kawhi was putting on them is pure conjecture. We’ll never know 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dgambill said:

Apparently octagon didn’t represent Reggie Miller back in the 90s when Spike Lee was doing basically the same thing. Difference is Reggie put him in his place...Giannis is air balling free throws. This isn’t unique. I’ve seen this show before...and Reggie played it better. 

Now not to make this too edgy but I will say this. Instead of Drake make this guy a rich fat white dude....could you imagine how differently this would have been handled? Toronto should just let Drake be known now...cheer, yell, stand up....but you take one step down the sideline except to go to the little girls room and you will be outside watching on the big screen like the masses. NBA doesn’t want to start this trend because they wouldn’t let anyone else get away with it not named Drake. Ok...my two cents lol

It’s actually very different. Spike stayed in his seat. He didn’t run around on the sideline, didn’t go out on the court, and he sure as hell didn’t massage the coach’s shoulders during the game. Neither did Nicholson, or anyone else. What Drake is doing is absolutely ridiculous, stupid, obnoxious, and obscenely self-centered and ego centric. The guy is an idiot. 

Imagine paying for front row seats or court-side and having to be behind this tool as he stands up in front of you, on the sideline, and dances about. 

• Like 1