NBA Thread

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

Yes....lot's of basketball players hate living in Boston. Whatever it's worth...real or perceived Boston has had a racist history and lacks the culture of say New York, Philadelphia, or of course LA. Boston has it's struggles...but I think a lot of that has been how they've been run. They have always been pretty shrewd with contracts and paying guys or moving on from them. But mostly I just don't think culturally Boston is a town a lot of NBA guys want to go play in. For that matter...Indy is as well. Very sleepy city.

I’m not going off statistics or any census data or anything, just my own experience living in Boston for 5 years, but my experience is that it’s largely perception about Boston, not reality. I found the city to be very culturally diverse with lots of different types of people, though I will grant that a lot of that is due to how many colleges/universities are there, and those universities attract a wide range of people. 

I also think there’s a lot of old perception about Boston from the past that’s no longer reality. I worked with a ton of athletes that loved it there. 

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I’m not going off statistics or any census data or anything, just my own experience living in Boston for 5 years, but my experience is that it’s largely perception about Boston, not reality. I found the city to be very culturally diverse with lots of different types of people, though I will grant that a lot of that is due to how many colleges/universities are there, and those universities attract a wide range of people. 

I also think there’s a lot of old perception about Boston from the past that’s no longer reality. I worked with a ton of athletes that loved it there. 

Never lived there and wouldn’t want the same speculation about Indy either but again Boston gets rated over and over as the least welcoming major city to African Americans. Could it be perception or just looking for issues that don’t exist or have been remedied...who knows and I do not want to derail this thread so I apologize for suggesting it but I think it’s in some of these athletes mind when choosing a destination...just like sleepy Indy does I think as well. So I’ll leave it at that. Boston has a lot still left to fix its image. http://apps.bostonglobe.com/spotlight/boston-racism-image-reality/series/image/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcsports.com/boston/boston-red-sox/adam-jones-says-fenway-park-fans-used-racist-terms-threw-peanut-bag-him%3famp

5 hours ago, dgambill said:

Yes....lot's of basketball players hate living in Boston. Whatever it's worth...real or perceived Boston has had a racist history and lacks the culture of say New York, Philadelphia, or of course LA. Boston has it's struggles...but I think a lot of that has been how they've been run. They have always been pretty shrewd with contracts and paying guys or moving on from them. But mostly I just don't think culturally Boston is a town a lot of NBA guys want to go play in. For that matter...Indy is as well. Very sleepy city.

Philly has more culture than Boston? Maybe if battery chucking is considered culture.

• Haha 2

Listened to JMV speak with Jeremiah Johnson(fox sports reporter for the Pacers) on the way home yesterday, plan A must be resign Bojan and then move towards Rubio.  If Bojan does not resign, then they will not pursue Rubio.  My guess is Bojan and Rubio is plan A and plan B is something else(not sure what is is)

Question for those that follow NBA very closely and understand contracts. If Houston is serious in wanting to bring Jimmy Butler in could they potentially ask Pacers to be part of 3 team trade to get salary relief? Possibly sending Gordon to Pacers where he could play 2 until Vic returns? Somebody just tweeted this out and thought it was a good point. Pacers need shooting. Have a need at 2 guard until Vic returns. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Question for those that follow NBA very closely and understand contracts. If Houston is serious in wanting to bring Jimmy Butler in could they potentially ask Pacers to be part of 3 team trade to get salary relief? Possibly sending Gordon to Pacers where he could play 2 until Vic returns? Somebody just tweeted this out and thought it was a good point. Pacers need shooting. Have a need at 2 guard until Vic returns. 

I had heard that it would take a 3rd team for Houston to do this.

42 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

This could work due to the Pacers having salary cap relief and extra 2nd rd picks however not sure what player they would send out, Leaf or McDermott possibly?  I would be fine with this trade, Gordon is on the books for around $14 mil this upcoming year and resign Bojan at $18 mil that puts us right at our $32.5 spending money available.  You could then use the MLE on say Rubio.   I like this lineup below a lot, I would send McDermott and a few of our new 2nd rd picks. 

PG - Rubio/Holiday

SG - Oladipo/Gordon/Sumner

SF - Bojan/Warren

PF - Sabonis/Leaf

C - Turner/Goga

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

This could work due to the Pacers having salary cap relief and extra 2nd rd picks however not sure what player they would send out, Leaf or McDermott possibly?  I would be fine with this trade, Gordon is on the books for around $14 mil this upcoming year and resign Bojan at $18 mil that puts us right at our $32.5 spending money available.  You could then use the MLE on say Rubio.   I like this lineup below a lot, I would send McDermott and a few of our new 2nd rd picks. 

PG - Rubio/Holiday

SG - Oladipo/Gordon/Sumner

SF - Bojan/Warren

PF - Sabonis/Leaf

C - Turner/Goga

That's what I'm thinking. If they could make this work it would be an ideal scenario given what Pacers have to spend, what they need, and willingness of a player to come here. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

That's what I'm thinking. If they could make this work it would be an ideal scenario given what Pacers have to spend, what they need, and willingness of a player to come here. 

I am still holding out hope that Kawahi will want to come to the Pacers LOL!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

If I were Philly I would just try to resign Butler instead of trying to do a sign and trade.

Yeah.  What does Philly gain in this?  I've yet to see any of this make sense.  Wouldn't Philly want Gordon?  Reddick has Lakers written all over him, imo, so they need a shooter.  

In all seriousness I think if Kawahi leaves Toronto after winning a championship and being the MVP of the championship then something is seriously wrong with the NBA system.  It could also just be the mentality of the players today that they care more about marketability than winning especially if Kawahi goes to the Clippers or Knicks.

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Houston would have to get rid of every player they have outside Paul and Harden to have enough cap space for Butler. Paul and Harden alone leave them with only 33 million in cap space. The only way they get Butler is to move Paul essentially...unless Butler opts into his contract and miss out on say 14 million (not happening) realistically Houston can’t get him. They need to move Paul...then re-sign several of their free agents and use say the mle to replace Paul at the point....question is...who would be crazy enough to take Paul.

21 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

In all seriousness I think if Kawahi leaves Toronto after winning a championship and being the MVP of the championship then something is seriously wrong with the NBA system.  It could also just be the mentality of the players today that they care more about marketability than winning especially if Kawahi goes to the Clippers or Knicks.

The Clippers = his hometown, and the place he was trying to return to when the Spurs traded him. That's not about money. No way is he joining the Knicks, and there is nothing pointing to that. 

As it stands now, the reports are that Toronto is in the driver's seat. He has a meeting with the Clips scheduled, and they have been posting electronic billboards about him and doing everything they can to land him. If he goes anywhere else, the only realistic destination outside of Toronto at this point appears to be the Clips. 

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Listened to the Pacers beat writer yesterday and he has been told by some people that Durant will probably end up with the Knicks

Just about everyone else has been saying the Nets and for some time. The Knicks thought they would land him and Kyrie, and that they would draft Zion. As usual, the house blew up around them. Possible, yes, likely? At this point, it appears unlikely.

5 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Just about everyone else has been saying the Nets and for some time. The Knicks thought they would land him and Kyrie, and that they would draft Zion. As usual, the house blew up around them. Possible, yes, likely? At this point, it appears unlikely.

You might be right but at this time I would go with a guy who has some inside info that works in the NBA