NBA Thread

4 minutes ago, btownqb said:

But again.. it's one pick.. miminal more mins for Holiday. We are honestly talking about stuff that's just not that big of a deal overall.  

I'll always take more picks for a player that is going to walk and we're not in contention. 

Edited by BGleas

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

You're not getting it though. You don't have to acquire lottery picks to get done what I'm talking about, and you have no clue if either of those guys would have fetched a second round pick. Darren Collison would have absolutely gotten the Pacers a second round pick, maybe even a late first. 

It's not always about moving up into the lottery. Just having a bevy of future 1st round picks is worth is, regardless of where they're positioned. There are always teams looking to move out of the lottery or out of the first round all together for salary cap reasons. When you're the team with all the picks to move in those deals, you then have leverage and flexibility. 

Like Btown said, then you can throw a 1st round pick into the Brogdon deal while still maintaining your own pick. Or, you can stockpile picks to pair with your young guys for a trade for a star down the line. Most teams attempt to do this. 

We might have tried all of this anyway. KP is has been awesome. 

Just now, btownqb said:

We might have tried all of this anyway. KP is has been awesome. 

They might have. I'm not sold Joseph would have definitely gotten you anything, but I'm sure Collison would have. 

I agree though, KP is one of the better GM's in the NBA. Doesn't mean he doesn't make mistakes. I love Ainge, but he's certainly made a few. 

Just now, btownqb said:

And we needed another guard until VO gets back just incase. 

Yes, though McConnell doesn't provide much in terms of offense, but at least it's another hard working bulldog that knows his role and isn't going to play outside of what he's asked to do. Sometimes that's all you can ask for. Better that than somebody coming in trying to make a name and thinking he has to replace VO's production. 

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Like that pickup. Not the most talented, but nobody outworks him. Lots of hardworking, character guys the Pacers have added between Warren, Brogdon and McConnell. 

That's what I really like what Pritchard is doing. Character guys that fit well. Hopefully it will translate to W's.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

I guess we just will disagree on this one.  Also you can move up far enough in the first round with second round picks to get a quality pick.  to me anything after the top 12-15 those picks are just not worth trading up for.

Translation:

“I am getting absolutely destroyed by facts and logic, so ‘agree to disagree’ is the only response I can come up with.”

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, BGleas said:

It doesn't matter. Without VO the Pacers weren't doing anything in the playoffs, evidenced by getting swept by a highly dysfunctional Celtics teams. You do a little mini retool that season to set yourself up for a better future once VO is back and healthy. Instead they lost those guys for nothing. 

The thing with the Pacers is absolutely you could flip Collison one of the best 3pt shooters in the league and Joseph probably the best defensive point guard for young players or second rd picks. Young and Bogs also we’re on last year of their deal and very affordable and could easily get you a late first for a playoff contender. You can’t tell me say Philly or maybe Denver wouldn’t have thought about making a move for Bogs. Moves could and should have been made in favor of a youth movement. Clippers did it and still made the playoffs!

Regarding the 76ers, their moves are fascinating. Horford with Embiid should work great. Not only can both play off each other (they can both post and stretch) but Horford can give quality when Embiid is on the bench which was a real problem last year.  They paid something like an eye popping $180 million for Tobias Harris who’s a quality starter.  Yes, they lost Butler but Josh Richardson has been very highly regarded and probably underrated.  They do lose shooting at the guard position which causes problems with stretching the defense out.  So, all told, we don’t know how it will work, whether it’s neutral or a plus.  I think the straw that will stir the drink is Simmons.  Right now, it’s a real handicap that the defense can lay off of him.  If he can meet expectations, that will be the key point for them IMO.

The playoffs in the East may be a flat out war next year, which is good for the game. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Korver’s really gone down. The Lakers’ pick up of Dudley was a pretty good one, he can still space the floor, shot it well this past season 

Jared Dudley is one of those guys—like Malcolm Brogdon—who plays the game the right way.  Smart, team oriented, sound, well rounded, winner.  I hoped Juwan could turn into that type of player but his shooting and handle need to skyrocket.