NBA Thread

For me I am a little concerned about the Pacers.  I will start being real concerned if they are not at least 5-5 through the first 10 games.  Chemistry should be fixed by game 10(roughly 12% of the season would be completed   A few thoughts/opinions:

• Not a fan of TJ playing over Aaron Holiday.  Yes Holiday had a bad first game BUT Holiday has the potential to be really good, lots better than McConnell.  McConnell does little things off and on which I can see why he's playing.  McConnell does NOT move the needle in terms of it pushing us past the first round.  Holiday gives us the best chance to help us out of the two get to the 2nd rd out of the two.  If McConnell plays all year, then leaves during FA we are back in the same situation saying "Can Aaron holiday handle the backup pg minutes"?   
  • Goga needs to play, enough with not playing young talent(Goga and Aaron).  Myles and Sabonis cannot sustain 35 plus minutes for 82 games.  Goga will have some ups and downs BUT he needs to play.
  • Leaf is downright bad. 
  • The bench is dreadful with lack of scoring. 
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

For me I am a little concerned about the Pacers.  I will start being real concerned if they are not at least 5-5 through the first 10 games.  Chemistry should be fixed by game 10(roughly 12% of the season would be completed   A few thoughts/opinions:

• Not a fan of TJ playing over Aaron Holiday.  Yes Holiday had a bad first game BUT Holiday has the potential to be really good, lots better than McConnell.  McConnell does little things off and on which I can see why he's playing.  McConnell does NOT move the needle in terms of it pushing us past the first round.  Holiday gives us the best chance to help us out of the two get to the 2nd rd out of the two.  If McConnell plays all year, then leaves during FA we are back in the same situation saying "Can Aaron holiday handle the backup pg minutes"?   
  • Goga needs to play, enough with not playing young talent(Goga and Aaron).  Myles and Sabonis cannot sustain 35 plus minutes for 82 games.  Goga will have some ups and downs BUT he needs to play.
  • Leaf is downright bad. 

Goga played in the second game and turned his ankle

6 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

• Leaf is downright bad. 

Can't argue about the bench...it was pretty pathetic. Matchups didn't work for Goga really. Both Detroit and Cleveland have a couple of the biggest front lines we play against..not a good matchup for him. He does need some run though. Got to get something out of Mcbuckets/Leaf. I thought Sumner played hard but he too has to give us more. Agreed Holiday's defense/length and athleticism is needed for our best team. Lamb didn't play last two games and that showed! Warren can score but needed too many shots. Hard to decide much with Lamb a starter out two games already. How though in two games does Kennard go for 30 then we follow it up and let Wood who is their 12th man go for 19pts in 20 minutes!! Geez!

3 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Can't argue about the bench...it was pretty pathetic. Matchups didn't work for Goga really. Both Detroit and Cleveland have a couple of the biggest front lines we play against..not a good matchup for him. He does need some run though. Got to get something out of Mcbuckets/Leaf. I thought Sumner played hard but he too has to give us more. Agreed Holiday's defense/length and athleticism is needed for our best team. Lamb didn't play last two games and that showed! Warren can score but needed too many shots. Hard to decide much with Lamb a starter out two games already. How though in two games does Kennard go for 30 then we follow it up and let Wood who is their 12th man go for 19pts in 20 minutes!! Geez!

Goga played in preseason against KAT(yes KAT handled him and yes it was preseason) and out of KAT, Andre and Tristian I fear KAT the most out of the bigs.  Nate has a history of not playing young talent int heir first or second season I fear that will be the case for Holiday and Goga

Edited by dwtaylor1055
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I don't think we would want Goga going against Drummond because even our veterans can't stop him.

I would push for the experience.  He's played professionally overseas.  Sure he will get worked BUT its a learning experience, he has to learn at some point.  Can't hide a guy at the end of the bench

10 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

I would push for the experience.  He's played professionally overseas.  Sure he will get worked BUT its a learning experience, he has to learn at some point.  Can't hide a guy at the end of the bench

I agree with you but I just was stating why he probably did not play

Kind of a weird and still impressive game from AD last night for the Lakers. 40 and 20 in 31 minutes, a record for the Lakers in the amount of time -- and especially impressive when you consider all the greats who have played for the Lakers.

But he did it on free throws. 7-17 shooting, but 26 of 27 at the line. Leaving aside it was against the rebuilding Grizz with young guys who had no chance against him, 27 free throws, not especially exciting. So weird in that it is still an extremely impressive performance, dominant, but at the line, ugh. 

44 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Kind of a weird and still impressive game from AD last night for the Lakers. 40 and 20 in 31 minutes, a record for the Lakers in the amount of time -- and especially impressive when you consider all the greats who have played for the Lakers.

But he did it on free throws. 7-17 shooting, but 26 of 27 at the line. Leaving aside it was against the rebuilding Grizz with young guys who had no chance against him, 27 free throws, not especially exciting. So weird in that it is still an extremely impressive performance, dominant, but at the line, ugh. 

I assume that was the game plan?  Not sure if I can understand the strategy.   He was 8-9 from the line and 6-16 from the field in the first half.  So evidently the strategy became, foul as soon as he touches it because he had one shot from the floor in the 2nd half but took 18 free throws.  Dumb

Edited by NotIThatLives

Upon further inspection.  Anthony Davis took all 18 2nd half free throws in the 3rd quarter.   And the lakers outscored them 39-20.  Put that under the "that didn't work" category.  It was only a 2 point game at half.  Has anyone ever heard of Taylor Jenkins? That's the Grizzlies coach.  Wonder how long until he's fired? probably coach to the end of the season if they're trying to tank again.

Lamb to return to starting lineup tonight for the Pacers.  Sumner returns to the bench, however his right hand is injured and listed out for the game.  Says in an interview he cannot dribble a ball and the pain is not tolerable.  Aaron Holiday is getting his minutes tonight.  Would not shock me to see them pull out a W tonight.  Started 0-3 against not so great teams, I think the scoring of Brogdon/Turner/Sabonis is too much for the Nets tonight even if they end up getting 40 from Kyrie.  I would also expect(no insight info) that we see Goga tonight for a limited run.  Myles and Sabonis CANNOT sustain 38 minutes per game for a bulk of the season.    Jarrett Allen isn't exactly scary and DeAndre Jordan isn't what he once was while in LA. 

1 hour ago, NotIThatLives said:

Upon further inspection.  Anthony Davis took all 18 2nd half free throws in the 3rd quarter.   And the lakers outscored them 39-20.  Put that under the "that didn't work" category.  It was only a 2 point game at half.  Has anyone ever heard of Taylor Jenkins? That's the Grizzlies coach.  Wonder how long until he's fired? probably coach to the end of the season if they're trying to tank again.

Grizz are in full Re-build with a very young group, not tanking, re-building 

7 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Grizz are in full Re-build with a very young group, not tanking, re-building 

We'll see how it plays out.  They only have three guys who should or could be starting in the NBA. They are the six youngest team in the league. They obviously could use some more Talent. 

I'm still trying to figure out what the coaching strategy was on fouling Anthony Davis so much in the third quarter alone

1 minute ago, NotIThatLives said:

We'll see how it plays out.  They only have three guys who should or could be starting in the NBA. They are the six youngest team in the league. They obviously could use some more Talent. 

I'm still trying to figure out what the coaching strategy was on fouling Anthony Davis so much in the third quarter alone

I wasn't watching and haven't read about the game, did the coach say it was strategic?

4 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

It's who was defending  him. At that point they had no one who could, lol. 

Just now, BGleas said:

I wasn't watching and haven't read about the game, did the coach say it was strategic?

I have no idea.  Thats what im trying to figure out.  Davis shot 18 free throws on 1 field goal in the 3rd quarter.   It must have been a strategy, a bad one at that considering he went 8-9 in the first half at the line.  

Dang Anthony Davis was on that UK team that hit 35 out of 37 free throws in 2012. 

14 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

I have no idea.  Thats what im trying to figure out.  Davis shot 18 free throws on 1 field goal in the 3rd quarter.   It must have been a strategy, a bad one at that considering he went 8-9 in the first half at the line.  

Dang Anthony Davis was on that UK team that hit 35 out of 37 free throws in 2012. 

Yeah, I don't think it was a strategy, more likely a combination of bad defense and bad officiating. When you're fouled shooting it doesn't count as a field goal attempt, which is why he only had 1 fg attempt in the quarter., 

30 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Serious question what teams can guard LeBron and Anthony Davis?

Oh now, I could just say Clippers, but there are a number of experienced vets who guard AD well -- he's an exceptional, dominant offensive player, he's going to score, but yes there are a number of guys on a number of teams who defend him -- but NOT rookies and really young guys who just haven't been in that position at all, or much, and that is what happened here.

4 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Oh now, I could just say Clippers, but there are a number of experienced vets who guard AD well -- he's an exceptional, dominant offensive player, he's going to score, but yes there are a number of guys on a number of teams who defend him -- but NOT rookies and really young guys who just haven't been in that position at all, or much, and that is what happened here.

You left out the and LeBron part.  

That pick and roll game of those 2 is pretty though.  When it comes down to a possession or 2, everyone healthy,  all things clicking.  It's going to be interesting out west to watch it all unfold.