NBA Thread

24 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Yes I see Stevens trusting these  guys, but if you’re Going to call Romeo back, especially in short order,  sitting him the full game just doesn’t make sense to me - except considering he didn’t practice and game plan with the team for this game. 

guess we’ll see what Stevens does in the next game 

Again though, it was just one game, and it was a close game. You’re not going to play all 12 guys in a close game, and considering all the time he’s missed, he’s not going to play ahead of the guys that have been there in a game like that. 

I also read that he was under the weather on the injury report. He’ll get a chance, but he will need to make the most of it in short order, or this could be his season (bouncing between Maine and Boston and not really in the Celtics rotation). 

4 hours ago, 5fouls said:

I don't get the Celtics recalling Romeo just to have him sit on the bench.  I shrugged off the first game, thinking maybe he wasn't there yet for the shoot-around or something.  But, last night he still does not play.  Head scratcher for sure.  

I agree. Gleas said before the first game that Romeo was listed as under the weather on the injury report. I don't know if that's still the case, but this doesn't look like the C's / Stevens' handling things right. Out of the loop though, interested to hear Gleas's take.

4 hours ago, 5fouls said:

I don't get the Celtics recalling Romeo just to have him sit on the bench.  I shrugged off the first game, thinking maybe he wasn't there yet for the shoot-around or something.  But, last night he still does not play.  Head scratcher for sure.  

I think what you'll see is Langford bounce back and forth, especially while Hayward is out. The Red Claws haven't had a game since the one he played in and their next game Friday. So, they re-assigned him to Maine today so he can play Friday in the Red Claws game. My guess is they'll recall him when the Celtics are home, so he can participate in shootarounds, be on the bench, and potentially play in Celtics game if they need him, but then go back to Maine for their games. 

It's going to be a weird year for Langford, and the injuries and Celtics fast start haven't been great for him personally. 

Edited by BGleas
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

I think what you'll see is Langford bounce back and forth, especially while Hayward is out. The Red Claws haven't had a game since the one he played in and their next game Friday. So, they re-assigned him to Maine today so he can play Friday in the Red Claws game. My guess is they'll recall him when the Celtics are home, so he can participate in shootarounds, be on the bench, and potentially play in Celtics game if they need him, but then go back to Maine for their games. 

It's going to be a weird year for Langford, and the injuries and Celtics fast start haven't been great for him personally. 

If Boston keeps that up for an extended period that's a bad use of Romeo and should merit his looking for a better fit. This is premature, they may be grooming him (didn't they do that with Smart at one point?) etc. 

42 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

If Boston keeps that up for an extended period that's a bad use of Romeo and should merit his looking for a better fit. This is premature, they may be grooming him (didn't they do that with Smart at one point?) etc. 

I don't follow why that's a bad use? He gets work with the Celtics coaches in Boston, pregame, post, etc., and then he gets game time with the Red Claws. I'm not suggesting that will continue all season, just for a period of time. At some point he'll get a chance to see the court with the Celtics, but he's been so far behind with all of the injuries. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I don't follow why that's a bad use? He gets work with the Celtics coaches in Boston, pregame, post, etc., and then he gets game time with the Red Claws. I'm not suggesting that will continue all season, just for a period of time. At some point he'll get a chance to see the court with the Celtics, but he's been so far behind with all of the injuries. 

Oh now, while Edwards (at pg) gets 12 min a game (despite shooting poorly after the first game and until the last game or 2, raising his 3-point percentage to a respectable level but still a poor fg percentage) Romeo gets left on the bench? I said if Boston keeps that up for an extended period -- I didn't say giving him G League time now is a bad thing (it's a good thing). The point I was making was that if they keep this up with him it will be a poor use, he obviously needs to develop in real NBA games, he obviously has the talent to do so and contribute well.

30 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Oh now, while Edwards (at pg) gets 12 min a game (despite shooting poorly after the first game and until the last game or 2, raising his 3-point percentage to a respectable level but still a poor fg percentage) Romeo gets left on the bench? I said if Boston keeps that up for an extended period -- I didn't say giving him G League time now is a bad thing (it's a good thing). The point I was making was that if they keep this up with him it will be a poor use, he obviously needs to develop in real NBA games, he obviously has the talent to do so and contribute well.

It's just one of those things. He missed all of summer, all of training camp and basically all of the preseason. He hasn't had a chance to be involved, where Edwards, Ojeleye and Javonte Green have. Those guys have gotten the practice reps and Langford hasn't. Add to it, that the team has come out of the gates on fire, winning 9 of 10, so I'm not sure you can blame the team and/or coach for not wanting to mess with that. 

Like I said, Langford will get a chance at some point. It just happens, it's a long season. Every team I was around, everyone got a chance at some point due to injuries, other guys slumps, rest, etc. He'll get a chance and then it will just be a matter of what he does with it. 

If he comes out and plays really well when he gets his chance, he'll move ahead of someone like Green on the depth chart. 

• Like 1

Probably one of the most impactful players ever in College and the NBA has finally accepted his HOF ring! One of my favorite players ever!

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/after-refusing-to-do-so-for-44-years-celtics-legend-bill-russell-finally-accepts-his-hall-of-fame-ring/

Have to respect his reason for waiting so long!

Edited by Drroogh
  • Like 2

Even though the Pacers ended up losing to the  Rockets tonight it was one of the grittiest efforts I remember seeing.  Already without VO, Turner, Lamb and Summner they lost Brogdon after  9 minutes.  Also Warren was in foul trouble and fouled out and probably played less than half the game.  With all of that the Pacers were up 88-84 with 9 minutes to go in the game but the Rockets went on a 14-0 run to pull away.  For most of the game the lineup had both Holidays and McDermott, McConnell, Sabonis and Goga and with all of that they competed very well against a very good team.

Edited by IU Scott
  • Thanks 1