NBA Thread

3 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Certainly I don't expect them to throw in the towel just yet and I'm not questioning Romeo's talent...just his ability to stay healthy.  The kid has a history of back problems and he's not even old enough to drink.  Throw in hand and ankle injuries and it looks a little grim to me from the outside.  I'm sure they'll give him every chance to succeed.  I just have some real questions about his body durability...

...which is why one and done was by far the smartest move for Romeo whether fans ever understand or not is another question.

Extremely limited sample size and you're overstating it, imo. He just played a whole season for IU despite a torn ligament in his shooting hand. That's durability and toughness. Regardless, it's the very beginning of his rookie season. Easy to list all kinds of guys who have gone through years of injuries, EJ, Embiid, etc. etc. who are doing fine. Way, way too early for speculation that he's injury prone and can't make it. 

Pacers nearing full health.  Brogdon is doing some shooting so hopefully he returns at some point during the 4 home games upcoming, Lamb and McConnell are both due back tomorrow, Victor is practicing more and more and Sumner is nearing a return(shooting with a soft cast).  Pacers about to be fully healthy barring any other injures(knock on every piece of wood in a million mile radius). 

6 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Looks like Carson has had two very good games this year, but is a non-factor most games he plays in and averaging right at 33% shooting from the field.  Very streaky.  If I were Brad Stevens, I'd put him in and tell him to shoot.  Most games, he'll go 0-3 and get benched, but every once in awhile, he'll go off on a team like he did against the Cavaliers and Wizards.  Unless his shot consistency improves a bunch, I don't see him as a long-term solution at the NBA level.  Just too many athletes that can guard him there.

...and if Romeo can't stay healthy, he won't make it either  Celtics may have a bust of a draft this year.  What you say, @BGleas?

My take is that Stevens isn't using Edwards correctly. I don't mean that as a knock on Stevens at all, he's coaching a good team that is playing as well as anyone in the NBA, so his job isn't to give a second round pick his ideal role, because that would be bad for the team. But with that said, Edwards is currently playing a couple minutes with Kemba and then the rest of his time Brad Wanamaker is at point. 

So, Edwards role to this point has been as a spot-up shooter. That is absolutely not his game. He's an off-the-dribble shooter, not a spot-up shooter. He needs the ball in his hands to be effective. His career will come down to his ability to adapt to that. I look at two guys that I think are similar, Jimmer Fredette and Eddie House. Eddie house adapted to the NBA and learned how to be a sniper receiving passes from stars. Jimmer could never adapt to that, he needs the ball in his hands. No NBA team is building their team around the ball being in Jimmer's hands or in Carson Edward's hands. 

His career will go as he's able to adapt to being a shooter off the ball. 

Edited by BGleas
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Didn't realize Max Montana was playing in the G league. He missed his only 2 shots. Plays for Greensboro.  Nick Zeisloft had 13pts in his game yesterday. He shot 4-14, 3-11 from 3.  Hopefully Romeo has some better luck on the injury front. I'd like to see how he does while getting consistent playing time.

42 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

5th double double of the year last night for Thomas Bryant. 21 points and 11 boards and a team high +21 when on the court. 

Unsung hero? 

He seems to have really found his footing. I haven’t been following the Wiz, are they looking like they’re rebuilding with a new core around Beal? I know Wall’s contract is a major impediment. 

Whether he stays with the Wiz, it does look like he’s on a good path for NBA success 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Unsung hero? 

He seems to have really found his footing. I haven’t been following the Wiz, are they looking like they’re rebuilding with a new core around Beal? I know Wall’s contract is a major impediment. 

Whether he stays with the Wiz, it does look like he’s on a good path for NBA success 

Injuries and other stuff can always happen but he's a fan favorite because he plays very hard and produces, great teammate and only 22 years old. I'm not a NBA guy in terms of projection...but I don't see any reason at all why he won't have a 10+ year career and when it's all said and done he'll have earned 9 figures plus. He'll only be 25 when he enters unrestricted free agent contract....that's when he'll get the big one if things stay the same.

• Like 2

On 11/23/2019 at 9:06 AM, Seeking6 said:

Injuries and other stuff can always happen but he's a fan favorite because he plays very hard and produces, great teammate and only 22 years old. I'm not a NBA guy in terms of projection...but I don't see any reason at all why he won't have a 10+ year career and when it's all said and done he'll have earned 9 figures plus. He'll only be 25 when he enters unrestricted free agent contract....that's when he'll get the big one if things stay the same.

I knew that if he could get his game to at least NBA starter level, he'd become a star. Has all the physical tools, but having the combination of being so intense on the court, but so engaging off of it makes him hard not to like.

Still hard to picture that he, OG and JMo were all in the same class.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Zlinedavid said:

I knew that if he could get his game to at least NBA starter level, he'd become a star. Has all the physical tools, but having the combination of being so intense on the court, but so engaging off of it makes him hard not to like.

Great class 

2 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

1 hour ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Great class 

That's putting it mildly.  I wish I had all the time in the world to scroll back in the archives of the various IU fan forums and quote all of the bitching about that class...Bryant was a good recruit but not from Indiana...the other two were basically nobodies...another poor class from Crean...

Just goes to show how poor the average fan is at assessing talent and potential.  You can dismiss it all you want, but Crean was above average in that category.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

That's putting it mildly.  I wish I had all the time in the world to scroll back in the archives of the various IU fan forums and quote all of the bitching about that class...Bryant was a good recruit but not from Indiana...the other two were basically nobodies...another poor class from Crean...

Just goes to show how poor the average fan is at assessing talent and potential.  You can dismiss it all you want, but Crean was above average in that category.

Crean is like the slugger in baseball that hits these massive, awe inspiring home runs...or strikes out on 3 pitches.

34 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Crean is like the slugger in baseball that hits these massive, awe inspiring home runs...or strikes out on 3 pitches.

I think in fairness he was a very good recruiter, and identifier of talent, he just couldn’t get class balance right, and then at the end his falloff spilled over into recruiting. 

When you look back at all the guys he brought in, Stsrting with Vic, it’s an impressive group 

• Like 1

On 11/22/2019 at 7:31 PM, BGleas said:

My take is that Stevens isn't using Edwards correctly. I don't mean that as a knock on Stevens at all, he's coaching a good team that is playing as well as anyone in the NBA, so his job isn't to give a second round pick his ideal role, because that would be bad for the team. But with that said, Edwards is currently playing a couple minutes with Kemba and then the rest of his time Brad Wanamaker is at point. 

So, Edwards role to this point has been as a spot-up shooter. That is absolutely not his game. He's an off-the-dribble shooter, not a spot-up shooter. He needs the ball in his hands to be effective. His career will come down to his ability to adapt to that. I look at two guys that I think are similar, Jimmer Fredette and Eddie House. Eddie house adapted to the NBA and learned how to be a sniper receiving passes from stars. Jimmer could never adapt to that, he needs the ball in his hands. No NBA team is building their team around the ball being in Jimmer's hands or in Carson Edward's hands. 

His career will go as he's able to adapt to being a shooter off the ball. 

Great accessment. I haven’t watched Boston much when he has played but to me he could be a Fred VanVleet...but agreed he needs ball in his hands. Not sure why he is being used like that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

Great accessment. I haven’t watched Boston much when he has played but to me he could be a Fred VanVleet...but agreed he needs ball in his hands. Not sure why he is being used like that.

Mostly because Brad Wanamaker is playing great as the backup pg right now. He’s won that job and Stevens rightfully trusts him. 

3 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

I cheer for the Pacers but admittedly this time of year I have my sports resources in football and college hoops. Is Pacers 12-6 record product of schedule or good play? Looking forward to seeing what this team can do when everyone is healthy. 

They seem to be jelling — if Vic is coming back in January and fairly healthy they could be a top 3 - 4 EC team. Sixers have issues and holes especially shooting and maybe the lack of a true closer. Vic is absolutely a closer. Bucks and Boston and Toronto look  a step above but after them? 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

They seem to be jelling — if Vic is coming back in January and fairly healthy they could be a top 3 - 4 EC team. Sixers have issues and holes especially shooting and maybe the lack of a true closer. Vic is absolutely a closer. Bucks and Boston and Toronto look  a step above but after them? 

Thanks....and again this is my less than average NBA brain talking about Milwaukee seems above everyone but after that? Get Vic healthy and see what we have. Adding an All Star to a good team halfway into a season might be the extra we need to host playoff series this year. Pacers need to take the next step this season.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Thanks....and again this is my less than average NBA brain talking about Milwaukee seems above everyone but after that? Get Vic healthy and see what we have. Adding an All Star to a good team halfway into a season might be the extra we need to host playoff series this year. Pacers need to take the next step this season.

Yes I think it’s possible for the P’s to be in that top group but Boston is really solid as well. Philly could turn it around but they really do have holes and i’m starting to think maybe some chemistry issues.