NBA Thread

4 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Scott, anytime anyone says anything negative about the NBA it's something you don't like about the NBA! We get it, you like college ball and don't like the NBA.

As to this though, not sure what you mean. 

It's a straightforward situation -- NBA players are professionals, highly paid athletes who know the game, and who the fans pay to see play, so they have much more power and say than a college kid does, who has basically no say. 

The flipside to your way of looking at it here -- on campus, college coaches rule. So they get to do basically whatever they want, including leaving a school that just contracted with them, leaving recruits who committed to that school and coach screwed over, setting up 3 hour practices right before a game, embarrassing college kids in front of the other players in practice, and basically imposing a my way or the highway rule on the players.

On top of that, many college coaches are "system" coaches. Kids come into the program and the coach gets them to play his system -- and for that matter, recruits kids to do that. 

Of course none of that flies in the NBA. These are grown men, best players in the world, and you can't sit them in a corner like you can a college kid. Either adapt and adjust, or you're gone. That really shouldn't be surprising, or necessarily a bad thing. You can be a great coach -- Beilein is -- doesn't mean you're right for the NBA. As to him, time will tell.

I just don't like the fact that the players are running the league and dictating how the organizations are ran and who puts the team together.  also coaches don't practice 3 hours before a game because they are only allowed to practice 20 hours a week.

Edited by IU Scott

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

I just don't like the fact that the players are running the league and dictating how the organizations are ran and who puts the team together.  also coaches don't practice 3 hours before a game because they are only allowed to practice 20 hours a week.

Actually, that's one of the issues reportedly with Beilein. Ran some long practices and ridiculously long film sessions. NBA players are not going to sit in a room for hours watching film. 

You don't have to like it -- it is what it is. The reality here is that fans pay to see players, and coaches, until they develop a good long track record (e.g., Pop) are expendable. The reality is also that you're now dealing with grown men who are the best players in the world, getting paid millions. If you try to discipline them, talk to them, like college kids, you're dead in the water. If you don't know how to adjust during an NBA game to NBA game strategies (e.g., running multiple pick and rolls at a player who is bad at pick and roll D) you're dead on arrival. Adjust or don't.

4 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Actually, that's one of the issues reportedly with Beilein. Ran some long practices and ridiculously long film sessions. NBA players are not going to sit in a room for hours watching film. 

You don't have to like it -- it is what it is. The reality here is that fans pay to see players, and coaches, until they develop a good long track record (e.g., Pop) are expendable. The reality is also that you're now dealing with grown men who are the best players in the world, getting paid millions. If you try to discipline them, talk to them, like college kids, you're dead in the water. If you don't know how to adjust during an NBA game to NBA game strategies (e.g., running multiple pick and rolls at a player who is bad at pick and roll D) you're dead on arrival. Adjust or don't.

I guess that is why I prefer college sports because I root for the jersey and not individuals.  Also I had no idea why Belein even wanted to go the NBA in the first place because you are more of a baby sitter than a coach.

8 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I guess that is why I prefer college sports because I root for the jersey and not individuals.  Also I had no idea why Belein even wanted to go the NBA in the first place because you are more of a baby sitter than a coach.

Same reason Brad Stevens made the jump (and is doing just fine): the NBA is considered the world's peak of basketball.  He's a competitive guy, as most high level coaches are.  He wants to see if his abilities translate on the world's biggest stage. 

10 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Same reason Brad Stevens made the jump (and is doing just fine): the NBA is considered the world's peak of basketball.  He's a competitive guy, as most high level coaches are.  He wants to see if his abilities translate on the world's biggest stage. 

Brad did not like the hours it took to coach in college especially all the hours in recruiting.  To me if you are all about actually coaching the game it would be in college because you actually get to teach the game.  In the NBA it is about relationships with your best players and letting them do what they want.

52 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

That is not accurate. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ATX_sig said:

Carlisle is the best babysitter in the league.  He has made baby Luka who cannot legally buy alcohol an MVP candidate. Let's Go Mavs!

In all seriousness, Carlisle is an excellent coach, and the P’s fired him after a relatively short stint. Dallas has stuck with him in good times and bad, recognizing what a good coach he is, they got a championship out of it and now he has them growing again with L and Porzingis. 

54 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

So I guess the Lakers hiring of Frank Vogle is the reason they have the best record and not trading for Davis and having Lebron on their team.

What’s your point? If Bob Knight didn’t have Scott May, Quinn Buckner, Isiah Thomas and Steve Alford he’d have zero national championships. 

Yeah, talents matters. You have to have some of the best players to win. That’s college, high school, 5th grade travel and yes, the NBA. That doesn’t mean the coaches are ‘glorified babysitters’. 

• Like 1

College is very much a student-teacher dynamic between players and coaches. It's the teacher's program. He has authority. He can discipline and release players as he sees fit.

Pro sports are more of a consultative partnership dynamic. At the end of the day, they're both just assets/employees of the team. A coach is a direct supervisor for his players. And just like a manager of any team/department, he is going to have to deal with a variety of personalities and styles. He has to have the vision, but also has to know how to sell that vision in different ways, and keep his players on the same track. Different players have different communication styles, different mentalities.

Absolute authority probably isn't going to work, just like any other profession. Even coaches with a reputation as disciplinarians (Popovich) have some give and take, and they're not above taking advice from their leaders. You can't tell me that over the two decades he's been there, Pop didn't change his mind or run a play that Robinson, Parker or Duncan wanted to run in a given situation.

There is a middle ground  between "my way or the highway" and letting the inmates run the asylum.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Zlinedavid said:

College is very much a student-teacher dynamic between players and coaches. It's the teacher's program. He has authority. He can discipline and release players as he sees fit.

Pro sports are more of a consultative partnership dynamic. At the end of the day, they're both just assets/employees of the team. A coach is a direct supervisor for his players. And just like a manager of any team/department, he is going to have to deal with a variety of personalities and styles. He has to have the vision, but also has to know how to sell that vision in different ways, and keep his players on the same track. Different players have different communication styles, different mentalities.

Absolute authority probably isn't going to work, just like any other profession. Even coaches with a reputation as disciplinarians (Popovich) have some give and take, and they're not above taking advice from their leaders. You can't tell me that over the two decades he's been there, Pop didn't change his mind or run a play that Robinson, Parker or Duncan wanted to run in a given situation.

There is a middle ground  between "my way or the highway" and letting the inmates run the asylum.

And just look what happened when the Spurs tried to push Kawhi into doing what they wanted, against Kawhi's medical team. He leaves and wins a championship for Toronto, and the Spurs are now in rebuild mode. When Pop let Parker say things dismissively about Kawhi publicly, it was a bad move. Even the best of the NBA coaches, and Pop is absolutely one of them, have to work with their stars / franchise players. Franchise players ultimately make the team.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

And just look what happened when the Spurs tried to push Kawhi into doing what they wanted, against Kawhi's medical team. He leaves and wins a championship for Toronto, and the Spurs are now in rebuild mode. When Pop let Parker say things dismissively about Kawhi publicly, it was a bad move. Even the best of the NBA coaches, and Pop is absolutely one of them, have to work with their stars / franchise players. Franchise players ultimately make the team.

And those are the key words: work with.  Not dictate to.  Not abdicate to.  Work with. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lurker said:

Per Brad Stevens, Romeo should be active for tonights game in Indy.

You have to think that Stevens is smart enough to put him in for at least 3-4 minutes in the first half to see how he does.  I think it's actually 'New Albany' night at Banker's life.  The 'home' crowd could be just the thing that gets Romeo's lost season going.