NBA Thread

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

But neither had the body of Zion. Carter has a temple of a body lol. Marion was long and wirey. Zion's body and the torque he puts on it...screams Barkley/LJ. One slimmed down some and lasted but still had back and knee problems later in his career...the other burned bright but flamed out once injuries crept in. Zion will have to change some...and not just his game/style...he is going to have to lose weight.

I like the Larry Johnson comparison. Barkley is on another level, imo. That dude in his prime went toe to toe with anyone, only MJ outplayed him head to head.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

I like the Larry Johnson comparison. Barkley is on another level, imo. That dude in his prime went toe to toe with anyone, only MJ outplayed him head to head.

If Zion reaches Barkley level he will truly be an all time great. Barkley, for his physical build, was an absolute freak. His athleticism, his skill, but more than anything, is drive are unparalleled IMO outside people like MJ, Kobie, LBJ. Sir Charles was a beast and and player of the highest order. Way above, IMO, opinion guys like Reggie, Karl Malone, or Ewing from his general time period. All those guys were great. Make no mistake. But I always found Barkley on a different level.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, D-BONE said:

If Zion reaches Barkley level he will truly be an all time great. Barkley, for his physical build, was an absolute freak. His athleticism, his skill, but more than anything, is drive are unparalleled IMO outside people like MJ, Kobie, LBJ. Sir Charles was a beast and and player of the highest order. Way above, IMO, opinion guys like Reggie, Karl Malone, or Ewing from his general time period. All those guys were great. Make no mistake. But I always found Barkley on a different level.

I heard Charles, Shaq, and Kenny Smith pimping today's players because they don't play hurt, ie. load mgmt. last night on the NBA post game.  They were laughing at Porzingis mostly and his injuries.

Edited by jv1972iu

Despite Brogdon being out, Pacers are 4-1 on the left coast trip. Pretty successful. Would be great to cap it with a win in Portland, but that's been a house of horrors for us for years. Need to get that monkey off our back.

EDIT: Check that 3-1 following win at Golden State last night with the Portland game remaining.

Edited by D-BONE
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, D-BONE said:

Despite Brogdon being out, Pacers are 4-1 on the left coast trip. Pretty successful. Would be great to cap it with a win in Portland, but that's been a house of horrors for us for years. Need to get that monkey off our back.

EDIT: Check that 3-1 following win at Golden State last night with the Portland game remaining.

I don't know specifics but even with a loss at Portland 3-2 is about as well as to be expected considering Pacers West Coast trips have always stunk. As you said without Brogdon.....but now if we can get him back and Vic comes back Wednesday Pacers have a real chance for 2 seed push.

3 hours ago, dgambill said:

I’m starting to wonder if we will regret the Brogdon signing. I mean he really does need load management! May have to think about trying to sit him some along with Vic for a playoff run.

This is exactly why we went with Middleton. GREAT guy and if we could’ve had both absolutely, but for the price he was too much of a health risk. :/

• Sad 1

On 1/24/2020 at 6:44 PM, D-BONE said:

Barkley was SO dang good. Wow

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BADGERVOL said:

Barkley was SO dang good. Wow

He really was. Would have been nice to seen him get that title. Unfortunately young people now just see him as a fat prankster on TNT. He was amazing in his prime. He would abuse most of these kids in the league now. 6’4 maybe and dominated the board and scored any way he wanted.

17 hours ago, dgambill said:

I’m starting to wonder if we will regret the Brogdon signing. I mean he really does need load management! May have to think about trying to sit him some along with Vic for a playoff run.

Don't know if it will be regret. Although I suppose it could be. Brogdon's injury history should not have been an unknown to us. Obviously, for best possible success you want everyone healthy when it matters. Still lots to be answered about both he and Dipo (post-injury). That said, the depth of the team overall has been impressive in Dipo's complete absence and Brogdon's stints out of the lineup. As it's always been for the Pacers, even with Dipo back and, at some point, 100%, it's going to have to be a sum of the parts approach. No superstar on the roster.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, dgambill said:

He really was. Would have been nice to seen him get that title. Unfortunately young people now just see him as a fat prankster on TNT. He was amazing in his prime. He would abuse most of these kids in the league now. 6’4 maybe and dominated the board and scored any way he wanted.

I’d argue inch for inch the best PF ever...inch for inch anyway

Well, the Portland loss was a very unPacer-like defensive effort. Although the Lillard/McCollum backcourt gives us (and everyone else) fits. Still...allowing 139 points? Another nightmare in the (former) Rose Garden on the back-end of a long road trip I suppose. A big question I came away with though is, even if you have a starting, healthy backcourt of Brogdon/Oladipo, how well can you control their perimeter scoring? Turner's absence no doubt weakened the inside D too. But their two major bigs were out as well. Portland is just a bad matchup for us.

21 hours ago, dgambill said:

6’4 maybe and dominated the board and scored any way he wanted.

If anyone ever needs a lesson in rebounding, pull up a game from the early 90s that put Barkley against Rodman.  It's mind blowing how well they could calculate the angles and timing, and be in just the perfect position. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

The 24/8 second violations in tribute to Kobe were a brilliant idea. 

I agree. Hearing Trae Young speak about Kobes daughter touched me. It so hard to imagine how much we mourn over people that we may have never met but seem to really know by watching them display their talents. For many its like mourning a friend.  

• Like 1